Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know quite a few people who went to private schools whose parents continued to pay their tuition at uni. £9k a year is significantly less than the fees at most independent schools - for reference the annual fees at Ruby’s day school are currently just under £20k and if you were a full boarder at the very famous school just down the road from her house, you’d be looking at an annual fee of just over £40k so uni seems like a bit of a bargain, even with accommodation etc.
Ruby's followers don't think she's rich because they have no idea how much uni or private schools actually cost, because they're 12 lol
Side note, £9k a year is crazy. It's three times the maximum fee at my university.

Reactions: 16
the only time i can remember ruby "saying" that they have financial worry or something is in erimentha parker's to do list (i mean erimentha is her sooo hahaha) like she mentioned in the book that if not because of the scholarship, she can't enter the private school and whatnot
I believe that this bit was added in later when Ruby re-edited the book, to make Erimentha more relatable. To me, it just made the novel confusing as she didn’t edit out any of the other bits related to how ‘well-off‘ Erimentha’s family clearly was - like the private tennis lessons, mama’s childhood in Paris, the polyglot grandmama in a lovely private home and the walk-in pantry (and yes I know a family can have these things and not be well-off but Ruby editing in one line about a scholarship without thinking about it more widely just smacked of tokenism).

Reactions: 18
Being oblivious to one's own cushy circumstances isn't just exclusive to Ruby as it turns out. Here you go!

Erimentha is with her mum, and asks her if she knows what the coldest temperature ever recorded was. Her mum hazards a guess and it's incorrect. Erimentha is disappointed that her mum's guess was lower than the actual temperature and God, couldn't she have been given more of an intellectual giant in a mother than this simpering fool?

Erimentha tells her mum that she doesn't feel tourists should visit the Antarctic because of petrol and the sea, but she'd go if it was to help penguins, because that's totally a non-tourist move.

Mum hates the cold weather as it's depressing. Erimentha goes about how amazing autumn and warm blankets are until Mum browbeaten into agreement.

An elderly woman commends Erimentha's mum on how well-behaved and charming Erimentha is, because her own grandchildren love technology and thus, deserve to be put on a one-way rocket into the sun. Erimentha's mum ponders the social acceptability of proposing a swap.

They go to a coffee shop. Erimentha tops up her hot chocolate with cold water to not burn her tongue. Mum orders black coffee and being a total simpleton, burns her tongue. "Why didn't I follow your example?" We've already established this, you amoeba!

Erimentha sees miniature jam pots served with the cream teas and wants to take some as candle holders. The shop owners have no qualms in giving away their stock.

Back home, Erimentha is thrilled at how cold the weather is, oblivious of the privilege of being protected in a large house, warm blankets and heating. She surrounds herself by a ring of candlelight, possibly in a ritual to summon the dark spirits.
Omg this is actually the worst one yet, the entitlement is just too much

Reactions: 10
Yep, Ruby does the same with her teas. Surely you just wait a couple of minutes for the hot drink to cool a bit, or is this unproductive? 🥴
I think I'd rather drink nothing than drink watered down hot chocolate. Like that sounds so unpleasant.

Reactions: 9
WHAT is her obsession with the cold?? I'm sat here with it snowing outside trying not to put the heating on because it's expensive. I've never know anyone be so obsessed with the cold?!

Reactions: 7
Can't believe her fans are saying she's not rich, no average 18 year old would be able to become a landlord wtf?? Also private schools are often more expensive than universities so I wouldn't be surprised if her parents are paying her tuition as well as maintenance

Reactions: 12
Can't believe her fans are saying she's not rich, no average 18 year old would be able to become a landlord wtf?? Also private schools are often more expensive than universities so I wouldn't be surprised if her parents are paying her tuition as well as maintenance
I don’t think you learn the true value of being rich until you’re older, like i went to a school in a deprived area and didn’t know anyone who was rich, most parents worked but not in prestige jobs like lawyers etc I think went to uni and ended up dating a boy like Ruby who’s parents paid for everything up front because they could simply afford to and my mind was blown how rich they must be. 12 years olds probably think rich is being the queen but they’ll soon learn.

Reactions: 18
When I was at uni, a trick of the really rich kids was to take out a full private student loan, their parents would invest the money, and at the end of the course, it would be immediately paid back in full and they'd pocket the profit.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
When I was at uni, a trick of the really rich kids was to take out a full private student loan, their parents would invest the money, and at the end of the course, it would be immediately paid back in full and they'd pocket the profit.
Is that even allowed? I've never even heard of private student loans? Sounds morally questionable either way

Reactions: 2
Is that even allowed? I've never even heard of private student loans? Sounds morally questionable either way
Idk tbh - most of the people at my independent school just took normal student loans for the uni fees and then their parents usually paid maintenance
Edit - a lot of people did pay upfront though as it was quite feasible considering uni fees were significantly less than the school fees

Reactions: 1
Being oblivious to one's own cushy circumstances isn't just exclusive to Ruby as it turns out. Here you go!

Erimentha is with her mum, and asks her if she knows what the coldest temperature ever recorded was. Her mum hazards a guess and it's incorrect. Erimentha is disappointed that her mum's guess was lower than the actual temperature and God, couldn't she have been given more of an intellectual giant in a mother than this simpering fool?

Erimentha tells her mum that she doesn't feel tourists should visit the Antarctic because of petrol and the sea, but she'd go if it was to help penguins, because that's totally a non-tourist move.

Mum hates the cold weather as it's depressing. Erimentha goes about how amazing autumn and warm blankets are until Mum browbeaten into agreement.

An elderly woman commends Erimentha's mum on how well-behaved and charming Erimentha is, because her own grandchildren love technology and thus, deserve to be put on a one-way rocket into the sun. Erimentha's mum ponders the social acceptability of proposing a swap.

They go to a coffee shop. Erimentha tops up her hot chocolate with cold water to not burn her tongue. Mum orders black coffee and being a total simpleton, burns her tongue. "Why didn't I follow your example?" We've already established this, you amoeba!

Erimentha sees miniature jam pots served with the cream teas and wants to take some as candle holders. The shop owners have no qualms in giving away their stock.

Back home, Erimentha is thrilled at how cold the weather is, oblivious of the privilege of being protected in a large house, warm blankets and heating. She surrounds herself by a ring of candlelight, possibly in a ritual to summon the dark spirits.
This is so bad omg. I genuinely don't know what my favourite part is. Erimentha ruining a hot chocolate with water or her judgement of her mum for having a hot black coffee

Reactions: 8
I'm not sure. As in they'd get loans directly from the bank, and not from what the Student Loans Company was. I didn't know too much about it, I didn't move in those circles, but mixed just enough in seminars to know they were in a completely different world to me.

Reactions: 3

I've being having a shite time with lockdowns etc lately and these recaps totally make my day when they appear! Thank you so much for doing them. I only wish I could react twice with 😂 and ❤ to them all. I actually read the book during lockdown last year and thought it was ridiculous but these are making me see it in a whole new (candle) light!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
An elderly woman commends Erimentha's mum on how well-behaved and charming Erimentha is
Sure Ruby :ROFLMAO:
I think it's like 1735481415th time some random person passed on the street praises Erimentha how amazing she is. Oh god what a cringe.

Her Emma lookbook 🤦🏼‍♀️

First of all, couldn’t you remove these pictures or at least refilm that part
855B1001-C92F-4FAC-960A-CC17901893B3.jpeg

Also, I thought the point of using a strainer is to brew tea through it without having bits of tea floating rather than just for the aesthetics of pouring water through it without any tea it it?
011E43C7-E296-4099-B9F4-F27C9EF651B7.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Sure Ruby :ROFLMAO:
I think it's like 1735481415th time some random person passed on the street praises Erimentha how amazing she is. Oh god what a cringe.

Her Emma lookbook 🤦🏼‍♀️

First of all, couldn’t you remove these pictures or at least refilm that part
View attachment 423694

Also, I thought the point of using a strainer is to brew tea through it without having bits of tea floating rather than just for the aesthetics of pouring water through it without any tea it it?
View attachment 423696
I can’t get past how dirty her nail is!!!

• Sick
Reactions: 34
There's absolutely no point in using a strainer if you're not using loose leaf tea and using the strainer to catch the leaves.
Nasty as hell 🤮 there is no excuse for having filth like that under your nails. Do people not wash their hands??? We’re in a pandemic wtf
I worked on a farm as a teenager and my nails looked cleaner than this after hours of work...

Reactions: 11
Ngl she seems like the kinda person to constantly use hand sanitiser because they're worried about covid but then rarely actually wash their hands with actual soap and water... Like using hand sanitiser when you're out and about is fine but if you have access to a sink just wash your bleeping hands...dirty fingernails are the worst 🤢

• Sick
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.