Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ngl she seems like the kinda person to constantly use hand sanitiser because they're worried about covid but then rarely actually wash their hands with actual soap and water... Like using hand sanitiser when you're out and about is fine but if you have access to a sink just wash your bleeping hands...dirty fingernails are the worst 🤢
A lot of people just don’t know how to wash their hands tbf, like you really have to go for it. I used to work in a hospital so I just always wash my hands thoroughly as a habit, but I see so many people who just pour soap on their hands, rub them and rinse it off and think that their hands are clean 🤣 I’m guessing by the state of them nails, that’s what Ruby does😩

Reactions: 4
Ngl she seems like the kinda person to constantly use hand sanitiser because they're worried about covid but then rarely actually wash their hands with actual soap and water... Like using hand sanitiser when you're out and about is fine but if you have access to a sink just wash your bleeping hands...dirty fingernails are the worst 🤢
And like if I were about to post a picture that thousands of people are going to see where my nails are visible I'd make sure to at least wash my hands and scrub my nails beforehand lol she half-asses everything, it's incredible

Reactions: 17
A lot of people just don’t know how to wash their hands tbf, like you really have to go for it. I used to work in a hospital so I just always wash my hands thoroughly as a habit, but I see so many people who just pour soap on their hands, rub them and rinse it off and think that their hands are clean 🤣 I’m guessing by the state of them nails, that’s what Ruby does😩
I don't understand what she's even doing in the first place to get such dirty nails?!

Reactions: 7
This is the girl who has shown herself washing her hands as soon as she wakes up so that’s why I’m surprised!

Reactions: 10
I'm not sure. As in they'd get loans directly from the bank, and not from what the Student Loans Company was. I didn't know too much about it, I didn't move in those circles, but mixed just enough in seminars to know they were in a completely different world to me.
I have heard about this, with wealthier kids taking out the full non-means tested part of the student loan and just investing it to make a profit. If you pay it back before it starts accruing interest then it’s ‘free‘ money. I’ve also heard about people using their loans to pay mortgage costs - so the parents stump up a deposit for a house near uni, the loan (and renting rooms out) pays the mortgage cost for a few years. Then you sell having made a bit of a profit. It’s technically not illegal but it is slightly immoral, I think.

Reactions: 8
I have heard about this, with wealthier kids taking out the full non-means tested part of the student loan and just investing it to make a profit. If you pay it back before it starts accruing interest then it’s ‘free‘ money. I’ve also heard about people using their loans to pay mortgage costs - so the parents stump up a deposit for a house near uni, the loan (and renting rooms out) pays the mortgage cost for a few years. Then you sell having made a bit of a profit. It’s technically not illegal but it is slightly immoral, I think.
That’s mad! Different world.

At my uni there were stories of parents BUYING a house in the city so their child and friends could stay for the remainder of their time at uni 🤦🏻‍♀️

They would then collect the rent from their child’s mates and I guess continued to rent it out. Beats negotiating with a landlord but ffs 😂

Reactions: 15

At my uni there were stories of parents BUYING a house in the city so their child and friends could stay for the remainder of their time at uni 🤦🏻‍♀️

They would then collect the rent from their child’s mates and I guess continued to rent it out. Beats negotiating with a landlord but ffs 😂
That's what my parents did for me and my brother. I mean they could afford it and in the long run it's cheaper than renting a flat for almost ten years total between two kids lol
Rents are very high in the city where I study so they bought a small flat in one of the surrounding towns and we rent the second bedroom to another student.

• Wow
Reactions: 15
I'm not sure. As in they'd get loans directly from the bank, and not from what the Student Loans Company was. I didn't know too much about it, I didn't move in those circles, but mixed just enough in seminars to know they were in a completely different world to me.
i spent a year at a prestigious university before dropping out and reapplying elsewhere, but in my entire time at the first uni i never met anyone who wasn't from private school. i'd come from a small state school in the middle of nowhere, from a single parent family. i could not relate to anyone :LOL::LOL:

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
When I was at uni, a trick of the really rich kids was to take out a full private student loan, their parents would invest the money, and at the end of the course, it would be immediately paid back in full and they'd pocket the profit.
This has randomly reminded me of a girl I know at uni - she already annoyed me before but this was really the last straw. I'm at uni in Scotland, and because she's Scottish she doesn't have to pay tuition fees, just maintenance. Her parents (wealthy) pay for all of that, so she's getting through uni essentially for free. One day she comes out with: "I'm thinking of taking out a student loan". We are all shocked and concerned - has something happened at home meaning her parents can't pay any more, are they ok etc? Oh no.
Her response: "I just think it would be nice to have more money".
Us: ????????
Her: "I could use it to go on holiday more"
Us: ?????????
Her: "I was thinking around £9000 would be enough, what do you guys think"
Her: "good idea right!"
This was two years ago and I still haven't fully recovered from having to sit through that conversation. I think she thought that a loan was just being given money...like for free? Like you just got money and then it was yours, no concept of paying it back (with interest). Just, a way to get more money. Even typing this it's giving me a headache to think about. The total lack of awareness of the value of money (or apparently how money works???) was astounding. I'm hyper aware of the fact that I'm absurdly lucky my parents can pay my uni fees (on the understanding that I will pay them back when I have a job, though without interest), and it blew my mind that someone could have that little comprehension of her privilege.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
This has randomly reminded me of a girl I know at uni - she already annoyed me before but this was really the last straw. I'm at uni in Scotland, and because she's Scottish she doesn't have to pay tuition fees, just maintenance. Her parents (wealthy) pay for all of that, so she's getting through uni essentially for free. One day she comes out with: "I'm thinking of taking out a student loan". We are all shocked and concerned - has something happened at home meaning her parents can't pay any more, are they ok etc? Oh no.
Her response: "I just think it would be nice to have more money".
Her: "I could use it to go on holiday more"
Us: ?????????
Her: "I was thinking around £9000 would be enough, what do you guys think"
Her: "good idea right!"
This was two years ago and I still haven't fully recovered from having to sit through that conversation. I think she thought that a loan was just being given money...like for free? Like you just got money and then it was yours, no concept of paying it back (with interest). Just, a way to get more money. Even typing this it's giving me a headache to think about. The total lack of awareness of the value of money (or apparently how money works???) was astounding. I'm hyper aware of the fact that I'm absurdly lucky my parents can pay my uni fees (on the understanding that I will pay them back when I have a job, though without interest), and it blew my mind that someone could have that little comprehension of her privilege.
What the duck looool 9 grand from where??? A private loans company or student finance?

Reactions: 5
Has she talked about student finance before? Obviously she's rich enough to not need a maintenance loan but do her parents pay tuition as well? The concept of being rich enough to pay tuition upfront is so abstract to me 😂😭
She mentioned once that she at least gets the maintenance loan (no words about the tuition fee loan), but she doesn't qualify for the income-assessed portion of it as your parents earn over the maximum threshold to qualify for it.

Reactions: 3
She mentioned once that she at least gets the maintenance loan (no words about the tuition fee loan), but she doesn't qualify for the income-assessed portion of it as your parents earn over the maximum threshold to qualify for it.
That's still like 4 grand a year though?! I hope she doesn't actually take it out..

Reactions: 2
I can’t get past how dirty her nail is!!!
Also, that white mark on her nail is a sign of a deficiency, although I can't recall which vitamin/mineral.

That's still like 4 grand a year though?! I hope she doesn't actually take it out..
Oh she definitely has, as I remember in one video she had to phone Student Finance because one of her instalments hadn't been paid in when it should have been.

Reactions: 1
Also, that white mark on her nail is a sign of a deficiency, although I can't recall which vitamin/mineral.
I believe it's vitamin D? Or anemia. I suffer from both deficiencies and I have those white spots on my nails even tho I take supplements

That’s what my parents are doing with me and tbh I don’t see an issue with it if they can afford to do so. Like obviously I’m really grateful - I’m not going want to rent when I can just get a mortgage. It makes a lot of sense lol so idk what’s wrong with it! I’m assuming Ruby’s parents are doing something similar with the cottage except ruby lives elsewhere

Reactions: 8
That’s what my parents are doing with me and tbh I don’t see an issue with it if they can afford to do so. Like obviously I’m really grateful - I’m not going want to rent when I can just get a mortgage. It makes a lot of sense lol so idk what’s wrong with it! I’m assuming Ruby’s parents are doing something similar with the cottage except ruby lives elsewhere
I think Ruby bought the cottage with the money she made from Youtube etc? I have no idea tho

Reactions: 4
It’s just very very different to the majority of uni students these days. You are very lucky your parents have the capital to do that. The issue is, there seems to be no acknowledgement of this financial privilege from Ruby, so her fans saying she isn’t rich is just plain stupid

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I believe it's vitamin D? Or anemia. I suffer from both deficiencies and I have those white spots on my nails even tho I take supplements
Vitamin D or calcium. Both of which she will lack with her restrictive diet.

Oh she definitely has, as I remember in one video she had to phone Student Finance because one of her instalments hadn't been paid in when it should have been.
Wtf, she doesn't need that money. Like I know they obviously don't track what you spend your student loan on but it's for helping you pay for rent and food, not for buying endless teas and victorian nightgowns and whatever other tit Ruby buys.

Reactions: 5
Wtf, she doesn't need that money. Like I know they obviously don't track what you spend your student loan on but it's for helping you pay for rent and food, not for buying endless teas and victorian nightgowns and whatever other tit Ruby buys.
yeah thats some pocket money for her clearly smh. I had the povo rate, largest amount of student loan and the full grant (before the tories got rid of it) and I literally needed that to survive. It just shows the insane wealth divide in the UK when you have some people who need it to live and then people like Ruby taking out a loan when she doesn’t even need it haha, I have no issue with her doing it though tbh, it’s only her who will have to pay it back

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.