Ruby Granger #44 To be or not to be pretentious, that is the subjective question.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm just here to say that the coffee machine was surprisingly clear (mostly). Someone must have felt sorry for that poor machine... Not the floor though. Or the stove.
Don't ask them too much, it's already rare to see something clean on this channel.

I think she should just clarify her veganism by changing her label from vegan to vegetarian/leaning vegan. Being completely vegan in terms of clothing, food, ingredients of cosmetics, etc isn’t the world saving solution that it’s made out to be anyways 😅
Nah, "vegan" is a key word which attract lot of people on internet, lot of online vegans are so content thirsty that they would follow anything, even fake veganism.

As for the 130 books or something I'm pretty sure she counts the labels of her clothes in the lot, or the ingredients of her overpriced granola.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Just skimmed some of her year of books video and it’s as bad as you’d expect.

She’s clearly bumped up her numbers with books she may have glanced over or used for referencing. Some of them are 800 pages long… there’s no way she read them cover to cover. I also think it’s quite clear when she’s talking about a book she’s actually read.

There’s a funny section at around 51:40ish where she’s defending that she doesn’t remember every book she’s read.

Reactions: 15
Not sure if anyone's already commented on this, but in her book review video she writes "first thing's first". Yikes Ruby! As a graduate student of English, that shouldn't have made it into the final version of her video. That's just shoddy.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Why is there a newspaper article about the Titanic sinking on her 'aesthetic' room collage...?
1000050658.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
Personally I would be kind of freaked out if someone had a bunch of pictures of me on their wall and a candle, like a shrine. Doesn't Blakeney find this a bit cringe?

Reactions: 12
Her 2023 book wrap up was completely pretentious yet shallow and vapid, I've never been more bored in one of her yearly reading summaries

Reactions: 7
Her 2023 book wrap up was completely pretentious yet shallow and vapid, I've never been more bored in one of her yearly reading summaries
The pretentiousness really comes through in this one. She’s trying so hard to prove herself ”worthy of Oxford” - whatever that means in her mind. At the same time, she’s misusing phrases that are entirely commonplace, and mispronouncing the names of well-known authors (”Yeets” and ”Kara-mutts-off”, anyone?). It’s just embarrassing.

Reactions: 15
I like book videos, but this one was so immensely boring that I zoned out near the beginning. I actually think it was a mistake to count her 'academic/research' books in the 2023 review. They're more niche and could've been included in a separate video about her course. I want to know what Ruby chose to read for fun instead of watching her pretend to be knowledgeable about whichever book she's forced to read for her studies.

Personally I would be kind of freaked out if someone had a bunch of pictures of me on their wall and a candle, like a shrine. Doesn't Blakeney find this a bit cringe?
What? You mean you don't find it charming when a BAST FRAND maintains a personal shrine to your image?

Reactions: 18
That reading recap was excruciating to sit through and I wouldn't recommend anyone do that to themselves.

She prefaces the video with a disclaimer that you need to watch her monthly recaps from last year if you want "detailed revyeeeees" of the books she read last year because she won't be going into detail here. I watched those and they were all vague plot blurbs that offered no insight, but whatever.

She continues her age-old tactic of promising that she'll go into detail about things she says she's read but refuses to talk about in some future video that naturally never materialises.

Untit799889464587987987986798576990998d - Copy.png

Ruby allegedly read "AWKSFWUD AND AWKSFWUDSHAAAHR IN VARRSE". She says that this book is an anthology that's somehow arranged both alphabetically and chronologically. She seemingly has no clue what "chronological" means and makes no effort to explain what she thinks it means, either.

The collection is assembled alphabetically, but not chronologically, either by the poems' publication dates or the editor's own arrangement based on their memories of Oxford.

Untitle567890798768ry45y565675668679864457567576967869865464]756867798546454479754588746458998...png

The editor even outlines in their introduction that they were keen to avoid a chronological arrangement.

Also noteworthy: Ruby tries to teach her audience how the alphabet works with her mangled fake AMMA WATSYON accent.

"C will bee....CHROYSTCHAAAHRCH. T will be...CHEETAHSS."

Untitle567890798768ry45y565675668679864457567576967869865464]759806867798546454479754588746458...png

Ruby ignored the actual "T" poem themes in favour of a word she can't pronounce thanks to her cartoonish fake accent. Classic.

It goes without saying that Ruby did not read this book.

Untitle567890798768ry45y565675668679864457567576967869868765464]759806867798546454479754588746...png

"CATCHOORDATH."

Ruby says this was from a sponsored post, but the author JANUINELY wrote one of her favourite books - "THISBUCKILLS" - that she stole YA mystery ideas from while lazily tossing together a YA mystery book of her own in hopes of landing a book deal with no talent or effort pretended to read last year. For "CASHORDATH", Ruby reads the most basic plot blurb out and offers no further details or opinion. According to Ruby, these books fall into the genre of "AGUGGUL'S GUY TUMMARDA".

Ruby did not read this book.

Then Ruby rambles for several minutes about various academic texts and books assigned on her uni course while manically waving her claw-hands around and regurgitating lecture handout snippets she copied into Notion. She says nothing of coherent substance.

She gives the briefest, vaguest blurb for Salomé, then adds, "It was HOIGHLEEE SCAHHNDALOSS AT THE TOIYME. IT WASN'T PRUFFWORMED." No further information or context is given and she cuts abruptly to the next book.

She mentions that "NYOTES FROM THE ONDERGROUND BY DOSTORR YOTHSKI" is going to be in the top ten books she read this year, "OFFCWOARSE". I don't know why "of course" since she hasn't read any Dostoevsky book before, nor did she seem to read this one.

And then she gives up on even reciting plot blurbs or condensed Sparknotes summaries and just starts listing book titles one after another. She gets most of them wrong or credits the wrong author.

Untitle567890798768ry45y5656756686798667864457567576967869868765464]75980686779854645447975458...png

Ruby then raves about "YOKAY DYAYS BOIY JANNY MOSSTUD" which she'd "HAAHRD SYO MOCH ABOUT ONLINE, OFFCWOARSE". She neglects to mention that she was gifted this book and was invited to a book launch event for it. She always provides unqualified praise in return for gifted products and/or events and, naturally, this is no different.

Tellingly, she compared this to Normal People. Like Okay Days, that's a book so far out of Ruby's wheelhouse that it's the kind of book that she'd only mention if she was paid to or gifted a copy and told to advertise it, or if lots of people were talking about it in her social media circles and she wanted to hop on the bandwagon by pretending she read it.

"OIY FEEL LOIKE YOKAY DYAYS DOZZ WHAT NORMAL PEEPOL TROIYED TYOO DYEUUU BOHT DIDN'T DYEUUU," Ruby says. That doesn't sound like Ruby's thoughts. That sounds like a promo review blurb she read or was asked to read. It's the kind of thing Jack Edwards would say about a book he'd pretended to read.

Untitle567890798768ry45y5656756686798667568864457567576967869868765464]75967868068677985464544...png

Ruby holds up her hands in a "don't come for me" gesture and says with disdain, "OIY DIDN'T LOIYKE NORMAL PEEPOL."

Untitle567890798768ry45y5656756686798667568864457567576967869868765464]75980686779854645447975...png

Umm...this your 4 star review of Normal People, Ruby?

Ruby even declared Normal People her favourite book of the year she "read" it. It's a given that she didn't read either of those books.

Untitle567890798768ry45y5656756686798667568864457567576967798869868765464]75967868068677985464...png

Sensing criticism on the horizon over the suspiciously vague nature of all her book reviews, recaps, etc., Ruby interjects before finishing the rest of the video.

She insists that she's JANUINELY RAD AND REMAMMBERS AWLLL OF THESE BOCKS, but not as well as she did 6 months ago, so you'll have to refer to those old monthly recap videos for clearer details and more in-depth reviews. Again, there was none of that to be found in those videos. She also didn't recap the full year, so they only a cover a fraction of this list.

This is also the same Ruby who claims in all her reading vlogs and such that she AWHLWHEYS wastes hours of her life VARRY PRODOCKTIVELEEEE transcribing all of her own thoughts and REFLACKSHONS about everything she's HONNASTLEEE read into Notion, JANUIELY! And yet here they don't exist and there's nothing to refer back to.

Her fans have flooded her comments to praise her memory anyway and fawn all over her for speaking so articulately about so many books. Yet she's clearly got a screen cued up next to her and spends most of the video awkwardly glancing at it, fumbling her way through reciting error-filled bits from it in her fake Emma Watson accent while pretending to be speaking off the cuff. And even with a digital cheat-sheet in front of her, her knowledge of 95% of these books taps out at whatever she could be bothered to copy from lecture handouts, Wikipedia or Sparknotes/Goodreads plot summaries.

Untitle567890798768ry45y565675668679867987]9754588746458998d - Copy.png

Ruby naturally plugs Dakota Warren's terrible Rupi Kaur-esque poetry collection and gives it nothing but praise. She at least acknowledges that she knows Dakota this time, compared to all the other undeclared ads and 5 star reviews she's dropped on this without properly declaring that Dakota shares the same management as Ruby and is often forced onto cross-advertising playdates with her by their managers.

But she provides no detail about the book, doesn't appear to have done anything more than flick through a gifted copy and shill it at her manager's request, as with all her fellow Sixteenthers' products and projects.

"IT'S WARTH THE HOIYPE," Ruby says. Spoilers: There is no hype.

Hilariously, Ruby heaps praise on Philip Pullman because she really appreciates that he recommends that writers pay attention to the words that they use and "YEEZE GUD WAAHRDS" - things that Ruby herself has never done.

Ruby highly recommends that you read "THE BROTTHAZ CARAMEL-TSOFF" by "DOSTORR YOFFSKI".

Untit79988946458998d - Copy.png

Ruby plugs another sponsored, gifted book and insists that she would NAVVAR, AVVAR GIVE SOMMTHING A GUD REVIEEEEE JOSST BECOSS IT'S SPONSAAHD. Methinks Ruby doth protest too much considering she's never met a sponsor she wouldn't snatch money from and lie endlessly for. It's beyond hilarious that this disclaimer comes during a video sponsored by some random, overpriced snake oil vitamin pills probably made from old crayons and asbestos.

Untit79988946458890998d - Copy.png

Ruby immediately follows up this bullshit disclaimer by plugging another book and neglecting to mention that it was gifted, or that the author is repped by one of the heads of the literary agency who signed Ruby. Then she drops a sponsor-chasing Daunt Books mention.

Untit7998894645879879890998d - Copy.png

And to keep the train rolling, she claims she read The Queen's Gambit and watched the series - two things that undoubtedly never happened. But Ruby's talent agency are sponsor partners of Netflix, so she makes sure to praise both while slapping Netflix-branded cover art on-screen.

Predictable Ruby lies and bullshittery abounds: She claims she read WOTHERING HOYTS. AGANN. SHE AWLSYO RAD IT WHAN SHE WAS TWALVE.

Since it's been a minute or so since she threw an undeclared ad in, she tosses another ad crouton into the murky soup of lies and incompetence that is this video.

Untit799889464587987987986576990998d - Copy.png

Ruby plugs FOIVE SARVOIVE. She says that she she did a readathon of this book in her parents' camper van with Blakeney. She avver-syo-hombleee brags that the video "went voiral, rahhndomleee".

Untit79988946458798798798990998d - Copy.png

What she means to say is that she and Blakeney spent half an hour in her parents' camper van and filmed a staged, sponsored video where they pretended to lock themselves in for 8 hours to read the book, as instructed by the publicity department who paid her for it.

By "went viral randomly", she meant to say "got significantly more views than my usual videos because this was a sponsored video being pushed to a wider audience by the publisher who paid me to make the video".

Naturally, Ruby neglects to mention the sponsorship payment for advertising the book, or the fact that it was gifted, or the fact that she and Blakeney attended a launch event for the book. Unsurprisingly, she struggles to provide any more information than is on the back cover, since she didn't actually read this, either.

Ruby finds excuses to mention HAHHR BASST FRAND BLAKENEEEEEEY at least four times in this video, which is twice the number of books she actually read this year.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
I think looking at her number of pages read says more than books read.

Comparing me to her (not the most accurate, but just as a starting point) you have 58 books and 24k pages vs 131 books and 33k.
So at first glance, she presents herself as reading double that of someone with my speed/time, when in reality it's just a smidge more?

A lot of her books are short pieces she read to understand her modules deeper, my stats would be greater if I logged all the scientific papers I read as a researcher!

Reactions: 10
Arguably Ruby's most watched Youtube video of all time, and her Bible so to speak. She said she's not Christian, and for a good reason. It's because she's a Watsonian:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I doubt Ruby has watched this video 😂 :

Very informative though!
---
OOohhh, grab a cup of tea everyone, new video is up! 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Oop other people asking her to actually declare her ads on the new video!
Screenshot_20240118-180829~2.png

Also a lot of people teaching her the basics to sort out flickering from LED bulbs on her footage lmao. Another few pointing out that PRAT is on the same boycott as Starbucks. Her college is on the same road as Missing Bean and Knoops (which I know is a hot chocolate place), and is just around the corner from a really nice Italian cafe. She has no excuse to be going to pret.

When she said "I'm going to the Food Shop" I was like "oh what, Tesco's?" Because her college is quite near to the centre of Oxford Tesco's (Cowley road one is much better but I digress). Then it was Tesco's! But she didn't name it? Which was weird then when she said "We got crumpets from Sainsbury's". Is Tesco too lower middle class for you roobs?

Anyway, she seemed relaxed for most of this vlog, which was nice to see. She definitely name drops a lot of brands (and does horridly declared ads for other places) when she really doesn't have to. She could have said, we got crumpets, where she got them is irrelevant (and that Sainsbury's is mid, even compared to the one on St Aldates.) We didn't need to know the brand of her almond milk.

It's like the act of advertising has wormed it's way into her language centre and she can't possibly avoid doing it.

Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.