Ruby Granger #44 To be or not to be pretentious, that is the subjective question.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 2710622

She got sent it by the PR team at Sony Pictures UK (for some reason she's made their tag as small as possible).

As always, she's late advertising the gifted product since the movie came out over 2 weeks ago. SYO VARRY ORGANOISED.
So let me get this straight.

Ruby has been gifted a movie (+ snacks?) by Sony Pictures UK.
She said there was no obligation to advertise, but chose to advertise it on her Instagram.
Ruby claims that 'this is not an ad' when it is, in fact, an AD.
She admits to being uninterested in the movie, shares the post 2 weeks late, and tags Sony Pictures using the smallest possible font, in a white colour against a cream background so it's barely visible.

Surely this violates the ASA's rules?

Reactions: 31
So let me get this straight.

Ruby has been gifted a movie (+ snacks?) by Sony Pictures UK.
She said there was no obligation to advertise, but chose to advertise it on her Instagram.
Ruby claims that 'this is not an ad' when it is, in fact, an AD.
She admits to being uninterested in the movie, shares the post 2 weeks late, and tags Sony Pictures using the smallest possible font, in a white colour against a cream background so it's barely visible.

Surely this violates the ASA's rules?
Yup. She always thinks she’s smart but she isn’t 🙂

Reactions: 4
Ruby's photography skills have hit a new low
View attachment 2708315View attachment 2708316
Gosh how does she make it look so filthy. I swear Magdalen is not as filthy as this in person.
---
Quote from the book I’m reading: ”…people took their common-place books to the theatre and to church, to ’preserve the best lines’, and writers started to self-consciously create quotable texts with common-placing readers in mind - seventeenth-century soundbites. In course, any such truism became known as a ’commonplace’, and the word quickly came to mean ’ordinary’ or ’unremarkable’.”

So essentially, since its very inception, the practice of common-placing has been common among self-important but unoriginal people… people just like Roobee 😂
As a notebook carrier in my day to day, every time she talks about common placing like it's something special. I like taking my notebook to talks and such, so as I can jot down quotes and thoughts about it as I go. I started at university when I was reviewing episodes of a TV show for a magazine.

It's just note taking. Why dress it up?

View attachment 2710622

She got sent it by the PR team at Sony Pictures UK (for some reason she's made their tag as small as possible).

As always, she's late advertising the gifted product since the movie came out over 2 weeks ago. SYO VARRY ORGANOISED.
I am very surprised they chose her to gift stuff to. She's not known for being a french history buff, or a film buff. It's a completely irrelevant product to her.

They had a far better guerilla marketing campaign with the "there is nothing we can do" meme that was going around late last year. Perhaps they're hoping there is some overlap between her audience and people who were taken in by that meme to remind them to go see it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
so to add to the never ending list of her favourite historical eras (victorian, edwardian, 1940s, supposedly early modern) we now are suddenly told she’s really into the french revolution? talk about ‘jack of all trades master of none’

• Haha
Reactions: 19
She’s a bleeping soup enthusiast now 🙄🙄
And OFF CWOARSE it was the best soup she'd ever had :ROFLMAO: She's such a fraud.

In non-vegan soup news, I made a very successful cock-a-leekie last night and there's enough to last me till the weekend 🥳

Reactions: 12
I too have made soup! Large quantities of a powerful green soup of pea, sprout, spinach and broccoli stalk. It is vegan but I don't think Roobs could handle it. Too much flavour!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I´ve seen Napoleon and I could never in a million years imagine her enjoying the movie. It is very gruesome during some parts.
OT: The costumes of the men are amazing though! Not so much the costumes of women in my opinion, the overall look is there, but some details were off.

Small spoiler for the movie I guess: I´m pretty sure the French Revolution was not really the focal point of the movie plot? There was an (historically inaccurate) scene at the begnning and then the immediate aftermath. Instead the movie was mainly about the napoleonic wars (which admittedly were initially caused by the French Revolution) and, well as the title would suggest, Napoleons role during that time. It strikes me as a bit unfitting how Ruby proclaims in this ad about the Napoleon movie that the era of the French Revolution is a special interest of hers, when I would not really say that this movie is about the French Revolution.

Reactions: 20
Why is everything something she's always done, always loved, her favourite, her obsession, etc. It's never just 'I enjoy this', 'this was nice', 'Oh I quite like it'. Even in her daily routines it's 'I always X', not just 'At the moment I like to X'

Reactions: 25
Why is everything something she's always done, always loved, her favourite, her obsession, etc. It's never just 'I enjoy this', 'this was nice', 'Oh I quite like it'. Even in her daily routines it's 'I always X', not just 'At the moment I like to X'
Even just her admitting that "it's not her vibe" would be a change.

Reactions: 5
I think that if she is paid to do so or gifted, or if she just wants to look intelligent, everything that Ruby comes across, she is the biggest fan of it or she had a deep interest even if she does not know what she is speaking about. She would never admit to not knowing much about something or just liking it, she needs to be the smartest in the room.
The fact that the film is, assumidly about the Napoleonic Wars and not the French revolution as Ruby claims, shows how fake she is when it comes to her intelligence. She could said that she finds the eighteenth century intresting and enjoys the history or films set in that era would have made this post less obnoxious.

Reactions: 8
If she had, she might actually know something about history? But no. She did English, religious studies and chemistry.
I have always wondered why Ruby didn’t do history at A-Level. I can see doing a science to keep your options open but Ruby seemed so sure that she was going down an arts route that it just seemed odd for her to do Chemistry.

When I was doing my A-Levels (which admittedly was a long time ago) history was seen as one of the most academically rigorous ones to choose and there were at least two potential med students in my class taking it for that reason, one of whom got an offer from Cambridge. I’d guess maybe her school only offered modern history and she didn’t like the period (although I think the modern history course could start with, you guessed it, the French Revolution) but it’s something I do wonder about. I personally think she would have been happier doing a history degree too.

I´ve seen Napoleon and I could never in a million years imagine her enjoying the movie. It is very gruesome during some parts.
OT: The costumes of the men are amazing though! Not so much the costumes of women in my opinion, the overall look is there, but some details were off.

Small spoiler for the movie I guess: I´m pretty sure the French Revolution was not really the focal point of the movie plot? There was an (historically inaccurate) scene at the begnning and then the immediate aftermath. Instead the movie was mainly about the napoleonic wars (which admittedly were initially caused by the French Revolution) and, well as the title would suggest, Napoleons role during that time. It strikes me as a bit unfitting how Ruby proclaims in this ad about the Napoleon movie that the era of the French Revolution is a special interest of hers, when I would not really say that this movie is about the French Revolution.
I feel like she'd take everything in the movie as fact. Many of my friends are historians and despised this movie because of the inaccuracies.

• Wow
I have always wondered why Ruby didn’t do history at A-Level. I can see doing a science to keep your options open but Ruby seemed so sure that she was going down an arts route that it just seemed odd for her to do Chemistry.

When I was doing my A-Levels (which admittedly was a long time ago) history was seen as one of the most academically rigorous ones to choose and there were at least two potential med students in my class taking it for that reason, one of whom got an offer from Cambridge. I’d guess maybe her school only offered modern history and she didn’t like the period (although I think the modern history course could start with, you guessed it, the French Revolution) but it’s something I do wonder about. I personally think she would have been happier doing a history degree too.
History A Level actually had a French History component for a long time! No Victorians though sadly

Reactions: 1
Ruby‘s been gifted a copy of Napoleon and has wasted no time in announcing that the French Revolution is one of her favourite historical periods. Which of course, we all knew because she‘s talked about it so much over the years.
We need a French revolution core or a Napoléon core look now... Why not " A day in the life of a Napoléon's soldier"? Or "I ate like a Bastille prisonner for a week" ?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
View attachment 2710601

"This isn't an ad"

Yes, Ruby, this is an ad. You were gifted a product and chose to advertise it to people as a result. You were paid (free stuff still counts as payment with the ASA) and then showed the product off to your followers. That's exactly what an ad is.

It's just especially damning that, yet again, you chose to go out of your way to advertise something you have no interest in whatsoever (and naturally haven't bothered watching before advertising) purely because you were gifted it.

What a cretin.
"As I say" I really wish she would shut the bleep up. No ruby, you NEVER say anything that that phrase follows. That phrase makes me grind my teeth and I have no clue why! Maybe because it's her using it. She is so irritating.
---
I think the biggest thing is it helps curve how unintelligent she actually is (or she wants it to at least. It doesn't.). By saying x is her favorite thing, someone is less likely to call her out on it for not knowing it / being a know it all about it, because who in their right mind would say something that they know nothing about is their absoloouuteee favworite thing evvar, genuianlee! Hint: Roomba, that's who.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.