Ruby Granger #43 Second most famous Granger in Oxford

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Granger subject being a bit dead at the moment, I'd like to draw your attention on two details saw in a routine from 6 years ago now ( link at the end of the post *).

1. Did you know that Ruby's 'obsession' for coffee wasn't recent? Despite all what our bird & bland tea lover told us for years, at 6:30, in her "Sleep notes today" we can see "Drank coffee". That doesn't prove she was drinking it already, but I find a bit weird that someone who never drink coffee put that in her choices, while we can see that it's a customisable list, as we see a "Hermione" thing in it. So, why?

2. A bit of theory now, I don't know if many of you remember the Granger/Bones manor and its various weird details, but if there's one which is rather uncommon it's their school fountain right on the hallway. And that added to the fact they share the property with other people ( so it's way bigger than what we saw, and it's already big) then I wonder if that building wasn't a school before. A small local private school, closing for various reasons ( mostly financial I guess, or lack of students) and selling the buildings. The new owner separate it in various "flats" and sell it for more than it was bought. It's very common in France to see old huge houses to be sold as flats after the owner dies, either for rental, either as a joint- ownership. My other theory is that if it's the case, and that Ruby's parents and their daughters moved here while Ruby was like 10 or 11 years old, it could influence her. Moving, loosing your old friends and having troubles to make new ones because you're shy and a bit awkward ( and because kids are freaking mean) , and living in a weird old house... Some start to see ghosts everywhere, Ruby saw Hermione Granger instead.
Not sure which is one is better...

haha does she say in the video that she always has a shower the day before the school starts and that she washes her hair? does that mean, she doesn't do this at the other days of the year?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I think the school water fountain will have been for the staff of the manor in its original form. What fascinates me is how their house can look so shabby, uncared for, dark and dingy yet the other two houses of the manor could not be more different, and how the neighbours view them.

Reactions: 10
I don't think it's Oxford that's making her depressed, it's the course. And tbf, that seems to be a universal experience for students who are on courses they have zero interest in. It's miserable having to spend hours upon hours each week thinking, researching, and discussing a topic you couldn't care less about.

She'd likely be having a blast right now if she could study the Victorian era instead. But, alas, the aesthetic of Oxford was more important to Roobles than the content of the course, so here we are.
Did she not apply for the Victorian era because it is more difficult to get in? I imagine is a lot more popular with lit students.

Reactions: 2
I think the school water fountain will have been for the staff of the manor in its original form. What fascinates me is how their house can look so shabby, uncared for, dark and dingy yet the other two houses of the manor could not be more different, and how the neighbours view them.
That's be a very strange thing, I visited lot of old huge houses like that and never saw a fountain, at least it was a small bathroom. I really wonder what's the history behind that place now.

Yup, I did a bit of research and could find no evidence for it ever having been a school, but did find a for-sale listing for one of the other two sections of the house and the difference is just glaring. The other place is well-kept, nicely furnished, spacious and light. Bones Manor, on the other hand, is dark, dusty and filled with junk.

Reactions: 5
Yup, I did a bit of research and could find no evidence for it ever having been a school, but did find a for-sale listing for one of the other two sections of the house and the difference is just glaring. The other place is well-kept, nicely furnished, spacious and light. Bones Manor, on the other hand, is dark, dusty and filled with junk.
Unless you've been able to access some particularly specific records, it is unlikely this information is easily accessible on the internet. As someone who has a strange obsession with the history of girls private and boarding schools (as a result of picking up a book Ruby recommended, funnily enough) records are not digitised very well. For instance, for one school that no longer exists I had to scrape local newspapers to find the list of headmistresses to add to the Wikipedia article for the school once. No one had thought to put it together in an easily readable source before I decided to, and I see this quite often with non-digital resources on obscure schools.

There were countless small rural schools for girls, situated much like Bones manor. These school buildings were not purpose built as such, rather the headmistresses purchased them. Many people gave up their large houses during the 20s, 30s, and 40s, as they could not afford to run them (staff became increasingly expensive over this time.) Often, and annoyingly, these schools would simply go by the name of the house, and would change name if they changed premises (many a school "disappears" due to this in the records). Many of these schools closed well before the internet came along, and hence no one has bothered to record them existing online. Reasons for closing are myriad: some ran out of pupils, others just out of money, some out of staff. Many schools closed when their headmistresses died, with no one willing to step up and take on the running of the business.

It is possible the house, then, held both lives: as a small boarding school and as a country pile. I think it unlikely that the water fountain has anything to do with a previous life as a private residence, rather would come from the time as a school if it had one. I've never heard of an employer bothering with a water fountain for their staff (or anything similar).

Reactions: 13
Unless you've been able to access some particularly specific records, it is unlikely this information is easily accessible on the internet. As someone who has a strange obsession with the history of girls private and boarding schools (as a result of picking up a book Ruby recommended, funnily enough) records are not digitised very well. For instance, for one school that no longer exists I had to scrape local newspapers to find the list of headmistresses to add to the Wikipedia article for the school once. No one had thought to put it together in an easily readable source before I decided to, and I see this quite often with non-digital resources on obscure schools.

There were countless small rural schools for girls, situated much like Bones manor. These school buildings were not purpose built as such, rather the headmistresses purchased them. Many people gave up their large houses during the 20s, 30s, and 40s, as they could not afford to run them (staff became increasingly expensive over this time.) Often, and annoyingly, these schools would simply go by the name of the house, and would change name if they changed premises (many a school "disappears" due to this in the records). Many of these schools closed well before the internet came along, and hence no one has bothered to record them existing online. Reasons for closing are myriad: some ran out of pupils, others just out of money, some out of staff. Many schools closed when their headmistresses died, with no one willing to step up and take on the running of the business.

It is possible the house, then, held both lives: as a small boarding school and as a country pile. I think it unlikely that the water fountain has anything to do with a previous life as a private residence, rather would come from the time as a school if it had one. I've never heard of an employer bothering with a water fountain for their staff (or anything similar).
You may well be right, guess we’ll never know for sure :) I think we can all agree on the point about Bones Manor being an embarrassing cave of a home, though?

Reactions: 4
I can’t believe we’re so bored we’re discussing this but water fountains aren’t really common in the UK, and certainly not in private homes. I think this was something the family added when they moved in - or it was done by a previous resident along with the weird disco shower-room thing they’ve got going on. I have to admit, before I knew more about the family I’d created a completely I correct back-story for the family based on the house, which had Daddy B as an aging rocker living a bohemian lifestyle in a huge and shabby country pile. The reality is a bit more prosaic and I just think the family are into old stuff and they are not into cleaning or maintenance.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Ruby's travel blog with Blakely popped up today and it was like watching someone else. She seems so happy.

Reactions: 3
I can’t believe we’re so bored we’re discussing this but water fountains aren’t really common in the UK, and certainly not in private homes. I think this was something the family added when they moved in - or it was done by a previous resident along with the weird disco shower-room thing they’ve got going on. I have to admit, before I knew more about the family I’d created a completely I correct back-story for the family based on the house, which had Daddy B as an aging rocker living a bohemian lifestyle in a huge and shabby country pile. The reality is a bit more prosaic and I just think the family are into old stuff and they are not into cleaning or maintenance.
Do we have any photos of the disco shower-room? 👀

Reactions: 3
Do we have any photos of the disco shower-room? 👀
No, but it’s been in quite a few of her vlogs. It’s odd as they’ve got at least one ‘normal’ bathroom that’s very in keeping with the period property, and then this strange, dark, black-tiled shower room with a frosted door and multi-coloured lighting. It’s not horrible, just very out of place in the house. But I think they must have either added it when they bought the house, or more likely the previous owner put it in - like the hot water tap in the bathroom and the water fountain.

Reactions: 10
Maybe Mommy Granger put the drinking fountain in for ruby to live her school days at home as well as school.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Are next door neighbours selling their tidier £2,300,000 manor because they are fed up with the Victorian garden dweller that claims she's a real-life Hermione popping out of her semi-detached abode?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Grandparents >>> Martha. Also, do they just turn all visitors away at the door unless they come carrying almonds…?

IMG_2651.jpeg

lol the idea that Ruby would actually work on a skill

IMG_2652.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Grandparents >>> Martha. Also, do they just turn all visitors away at the door unless they come carrying almonds…?

View attachment 2675096

lol the idea that Ruby would actually work on a skill

View attachment 2675100
"always request"? Who are they? Paying customers? I just can't believe that on 4 desserts, they can't just make a single one without almonds. It's made in purpose at this point, and they are using the grand parents as justifications but if they are normal people, they'd prefer their grand daughter being able to enjoy a dessert too rather than seeing everything made with almonds.
1704698279505.png

Also, looks like someone isn't happy with the new video. Or a bored troll.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
They always request almond puddings when they visit? What a very specific lie!
Not even just that, but whenever Roobee and family visit the grandparents, Grandmama presumably meets them at the door and demands an offering of Bakewells and other almond-based desserts like some almond-hoarding dragon, and woe betide them if they don't deliver.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
They always request almond puddings when they visit? What a very specific lie!
Do they hate Martha as well? "Our granddaughter doesn't like almonds, let's request all meals to contain almonds!"

Poor girl...

Reactions: 18
After this long on YouTube, how do you duck up so badly that you end up inventing excuses for a surfeit of almond puddings which - to judge by previous cut n paste videos - almost certainly didn't even all exist on the same day and quite possibly not even the same year?

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.