Ruby Granger #42 The Earnestness of Being Important

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I mean,,,,there is good reason to doubt her genuine interest in pretty much anything. The latest example for me is her Latin-phase. Ruby has shown herself studying Latin for quiet some time now, right? She studied it for a while during the summer, at least several weeks if not months. At some point, she was using The Hobbit or one of the HP books to translate from Latin to English. (I don't know about the specifics, can't be bothered to check either) She gave up after a while and that's ok, I myself "began" studying Greek thrice lol. Then the classes at Oxford starts and she is back to Latin, pretty much beginning each day with some Latin exercise. And then you see the latest video shes uploaded and it's a joke! It's not just that she makes mistakes--that's ok, you do those at pretty much any stage of language learning--it's that the Latin you see on the screen is pretty much chapter 3 of LAT 101 or sth and she already says she feels lost. Like, what was she doing during the summer? What, literally WHAT, did she write on those MANY pages of her Latin notebook that she showed us plenty of times? How was she translating*** anything from any book?

And it's always like this with her. She makes herself look like she is very into sth and passionate about sth and then it's revealed that she's been polishing her level of engagement to such degrees that you cannot help but call it faking. And @gossip_guy being one of the world's leading Ruby-Studies scholars has seen enough of her bullshit, I think.

***Unless you are a very young learner, you start translation exercises from Latin immediately. The problem is not that she can't translate as a beginner learner, it is that she made it look like she was making really good progress with Latin whilst, apparently, she did not even learn her first and second declension nouns and adjectives -. :/

Reactions: 18
On the topic of criticizing mental health posts.. We do have to realize that there is a very real trend of influencers using mental health comments and buzzwords for engagement, too appear 'authentic' and to act as a shield for their behavior. Doesn't mean everyone or even most are lying but one of the consequences of therapy language and a widespread awareness of mental health issues means there's plenty of people taking advantage and using that for attention, to victimize themselves and to protect themselves from criticism of bad behavior. I don't think there's any doubt that she's stuggling but she's not struggling because of her potential or self-image.. (and this ties into criticizing her passion and interests) it's a consequence of her skipping the fundamentals over and over again and relying on shortcuts. She's hindered her ability to do the work in this degree by relying on curated summaries and ai tools. Graduate level work often doesn't use the same widespread texts you get in undergrad that have endless works written about them that you can spring your ideas from. Many times a piece you're writing about may only have a couple of short scholarly reviews on it, if that, and you have to put in the work yourself.

Reactions: 17
I made a new thread as we had a very clear winner for title and there will probably (hopefully) be a new video sometime in the next 24 hours.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.