Ruby Granger #42 The Earnestness of Being Important

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I still don’t know why she agreed to do the debate, given the horror she had about being recognised at AXE-tar. I suppose she does have a degree of expertise but there are influencers and there are influencers, and I’m not sure that a StudyTuber is really best placed to talk about the ‘influence of influencers’ in the widest sense.

Reactions: 4
This is what Akala wore to his Oxford Union appearance. A hoodie. And trainers! Quelle horreur! I'm surprised they didn't grab the ruffian by the scruff and throw him out.

Ruby will be fine, I didn't find her outfit notable in any way. Not everyone goes there in a ballgown, not everyone wears a suit and shined shoes.

View attachment 2554826
The fact that not everyone does it doesn't mean that's not the event's dress code...Ruby sticks out like a sore thumb in the pictures and that's because she's underdressed compared to everyone else. And the reason why she's underdressed is because she stubbornly refuses to act her own age

Reactions: 17
I still don’t know why she agreed to do the debate, given the horror she had about being recognised at AXE-tar. I suppose she does have a degree of expertise but there are influencers and there are influencers, and I’m not sure that a StudyTuber is really best placed to talk about the ‘influence of influencers’ in the widest sense.
I'm thinking she was still ashamed of not getting into Oxford. Now she's at Oxford, so if people want to come up to her and take pictures, she's not embarrassed to be associated with her school

Reactions: 6
She always seems to wear dresses and skirts that hit just around the knee, which I know was a very early-mid 2010s thing, but I just think it's a very childish way to dress. Skirts should either be belts or calf and below. Otherwise they're awkward to walk around in and make you look like a school child. It's a length that either has to be body con or poufy to look formal, and this dress is neither.

I can't help but think that she didn't really know what to wear for the event. She probably didn't bring any formal wear that she owned to oxford, though she could have rented some or gone to one of the numerous formal wear second hand shops.
Eh, some of us feel self-conscious showing lots of leg, or don't like tight and short skirts. I'll happily wear a nice dress to a club or bar but at work I dress pretty formally, with a lot of knee-length skirts. It's what I feel comfortable in, even if it's not 'mature' or fashionable. I do kinda resent that people (not you, but some others I've seen online) think women should either look super sexy or like Christian grannies, no in-between. Ruby's clothes are just baggy and ill-fitting and emphasize how small she is, so they give her that 'childish' look - and the school badge and Victorian child details don't help. It's not about the length, it's more the general cut of her clothes, like they're borrowed from someone older or younger.

Reactions: 17
This is what Akala wore to his Oxford Union appearance. A hoodie. And trainers! Quelle horreur! I'm surprised they didn't grab the ruffian by the scruff and throw him out.

Ruby will be fine, I didn't find her outfit notable in any way. Not everyone goes there in a ballgown, not everyone wears a suit and shined shoes.

View attachment 2554826
That wasn't at a debate, was it? Because speaker events aren't black tie, but evening debates are.

Reactions: 2
It's not about the length, it's more the general cut of her clothes,
And lack of ironing i would add.
I also dont iron regularly (almost never).

But I buy clothes that dont get wrinkled much.
Another trick is to spray water on wrinkles and blowdry. I did that for my shirt before an online interview today. 😬

Reactions: 8
I get that it’s tradition etc but honestly, I would refuse to wear a ballgown to a debate as well. I just wouldn’t want to be cold and uncomfortable.

new thread name suggestion: This Forum Regrets the Rise of Influencers.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Pw
Eh, some of us feel self-conscious showing lots of leg, or don't like tight and short skirts. I'll happily wear a nice dress to a club or bar but at work I dress pretty formally, with a lot of knee-length skirts. It's what I feel comfortable in, even if it's not 'mature' or fashionable. I do kinda resent that people (not you, but some others I've seen online) think women should either look super sexy or like Christian grannies, no in-between. Ruby's clothes are just baggy and ill-fitting and emphasize how small she is, so they give her that 'childish' look - and the school badge and Victorian child details don't help. It's not about the length, it's more the general cut of her clothes, like they're borrowed from someone older or younger.
Not to get too far into this, because it is thoroughly off topic, but I am just some rando on a forum. Literally wear whatever tf you want. I go around in "granny" skirts as you call them, because they're practical and easy to exist in, so I'm hardly a fashionista. Love me a good circle skirt that hits at the mid calf.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with dressing conservatively (as in being as undaring as possible with your clothes, that is) and in certain situations (like the office) it is expected. I just don't think it is at all flattering, or the most practical way to dress. So you kind of get the worst of both worlds. (Belt is probably also the wrong descriptor. Mid-thigh is really the bound there imo.)
---
And lack of ironing i would add.
I also dont iron regularly (almost never).

But I buy clothes that dont get wrinkled much.
Another trick is to spray water on wrinkles and blowdry. I did that for my shirt before an online interview today. 😬
I have a lot of linen shirts, and my top tip is to put them on a hanger, pull out as many creases as possible, and then hang somewhere with good airflow to dry. CBA to iron.

Reactions: 4

Idk if you saw the picture of Ruby at the debate, but the dress she chose was actually shorter than a lot of her clothes and she didn't wear tights. Everyone else dressed nicely and many women wore floor-length dresses. Ruby looked like the younger sibling that one of the debate participants was forced to bring because their parents needed a babysitter. It would be understandable if Ruby didn't have the means to acquire proper attire, but we know she does.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Exactly. No one is mandating a particular skirt length for Rubert. Just saying that her continued determination to dress inappropriately for specific occasions reveals a bizarre mindset. She is more attached to her need to appear different / childlike / special / small than she is to actually fitting in, even in a context that she claims has long been a desired one for her (ie Oxford).

Reactions: 11
But she is capable of dressing appropriately, remember when she went to that film premiere in a black strapless evening dress that was so out of character for her but it actually looked decent!

Reactions: 5
View attachment 2556823

Bad mental health evening :unsure:
Bad grades? Publisher rejections? Post-debate embarrassment? Separation anxiety from being away from mummy for more than a week?

Untit9-078906877g - Copy.png

Of course, it's just a lead-in for her to be incredibly fake again and mention that she bought some books that she has zero interest in, because she's JANUINELY a VARRY INTALLIJANT BOCKWARM.

Untit9-0789060877g - Copy.png

Ruby, this might be a bit more meaningful if you hadn't spent your entire YouTube career setting a literally impossible standard of toxic productivity with your fake, staged vlogs, cramming days worth of footage, fictional off-screen activities and endless lies into what's presented as a 12 hour day for young people to aspire to and burn themselves out trying to emulate.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Yeah this is quite out of character too? Maybe she really isn’t feeling great- or her management is telling her to push mental health
That screams "Oxford is much harder than I thought and I'm less prepared and less capable than my fellow students" to me. Could also be the very first step towards an attempted change of subject or dropping out (supposedly subtly implying that she's just not doing well and that mental health is more important than academic success = excuses for failure).

Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.