Ruby Granger #42 The Earnestness of Being Important

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not to judge as my career history isn’t exactly stellar but changing courses twice at uni would look pretty flakey to an employer- especially in academia! It will be obvious to an academic/faculty she just picks courses to get her foot in the door

Reactions: 1
Being sad/upset is "bad mental health evening" now?
I dont think it is okay for people to use the term "bad mental health" instead of saying im in a bad mood/im upset? Right?

Reactions: 17
Being sad/upset is "bad mental health evening" now?
I dont think it is okay for people to use the term "bad mental health" instead of saying im in a bad mood/im upset? Right?
I disagree. I think we all suspect Ruby doesn't have the best mental health (fill in here whatever conditions you think best fit her). Social anxiety seems to be a foremost one for her, and we criticise her for giving into it all too often. I don't think this is wrong, as the only way to overcome it is to push yourself outside your comfort zone.

The term "mental health" has become a touch buzzwordy, especially when coupled with the kind of retail therapy that capitalistic society suggests as a cure-all. However, referring to a period as a "bad mental health" time rather than just "I'm a bit sad uwu" shows an awareness of said mood as a result of a more chronic condition, rather than simply one of the throes of life. I know that at Oxford, my mental health suffered greatly, but it wasn't constantly bad. There were good days and bad days. Good evenings and bad evenings.

What I don't think is very good is Ruby disclosing that she is using retail therapy to deal with it. Sure, buying second hand books on eBay is better than spaffing money on fast fashion or plastic tat, however spending money rarely solves your underlying problems or feelings.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I also don't know what else she was expecting if her "MANTLE HALTH" is in the gutter for the obvious reasons.

She knows she has no genuine interest in studying and doesn't enjoy reading or doing work for herself. Yet she knowingly went to a university where she'll be expected to work independently, the workload will be incredibly tough and she'll be held to a standard far higher than she ever has before.

She knows she struggles massively being away from home. Yet she signed up to be alone in a dorm for the better part of 9 months.

She knows she has no genuine interest in writing, struggles with criticism and isn't prepared to work to improve at anything. And yet she went on submission with another trash-pile book, ensuring she'd be hit with another barrage of non-stop rejection while she's struggling to tread water at uni.

She knows she's hopelessly outmatched when speaking with other people on academic subjects and is incapable of thinking on her feet and speaking intelligently off-the-cuff. Yet she signed up for a public debate which put her influencer career directly in the crosshairs and was bound to embarrass her.

All this just to brag that she's an Awksfwud Styeeedent and show photos of the RadCam and the dorm lifts over and over. She can't even capitalise on the audience bump she gets from Oxford content because she can't stay organised enough to make any.

She should've just taken the win, bragged about her acceptance and spun it as a power move by saying she'd outgrown Oxford and had decided she wasn't going to attend. Now she's just going to struggle, have her fragile ego beaten over and over until she inevitably drops out.

Reactions: 13
Yeah if she can’t even cope with nine months when she’s more mature no way would she have coped with three years as an eighteen year old- Oxford made a good call!

Reactions: 12
I wonder if she would really drop out. Somehow I can’t see her admitting defeat. She’ll find some other way to get through.

Reactions: 11
I wonder if she would really drop out. Somehow I can’t see her admitting defeat. She’ll find some other way to get through.
I think we’re being a bit harsh, surely she’s not THAT bad? She is bright, no reason why she would struggle beyond redemption apart from the reasons like homesickness listed above- most people don’t actually have particularly original thoughts

Reactions: 18
I think we’re being a bit harsh, surely she’s not THAT bad? She is bright, no reason why she would struggle beyond redemption apart from the reasons like homesickness listed above- most people don’t actually have particularly original thoughts
I think she’s probably finding it more difficult than she anticipated, but I’ll be surprised if it gets bad enough where she’ll give up.

Reactions: 19
With how fixated she always is on getting the top grade and how disproportionately upset she got every time she didn't get the FAARST she believed she was entitled to, I fully expect she'll drop out once it becomes clear to her that she either can't keep up or has no shot of getting a Distinction.

Given the choice between sticking it out for 9 months of progressively harder work that she has no real interest in doing just to get a 2nd place trophy or worse, or dropping out, getting a tonne of views for another dramatic "I'm dropping out of uni" video and a soapbox lecture about how grades are keeping us from laaaahrning, I totally expect her to go with the latter.

Reactions: 3
I'm sorry but gossip guy, that last post of yours goes beyond tattle and is just unfair. Okay, the work she does probably isnt getting to oxford levels but saying she has 'no genuine interest', and 'trash pile book' is excessive. She really is not perfect and that's why we are here to discuss these things but it seems you just have a deep hatred for some girl on the internet who really doesn't have anything to do with you? It's clear she's struggling like griftwood said. But I always see your posts and think you're just purposely shitting on her for laughs. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 24
All GG posts are like this, I wouldn't say it's something personal against Ruby - more just how GG writes.

There is an option to block an user if you'd rather not see those posts.

Reactions: 14
The reason GG and many others assume she has no interest in her course because Ruby is the kind to brag about every academic interest of hers very publicly and she has not once uttered a passion for her current subject. She's spent years talking about Victorian era and Victorian literature and Victorian children and so on, so people (me included) have come to the conclusion that she took whatever spot she was offered just to be able to say she's studying at Oxford.

Studying something you don't like is no different than disliking your job. It takes the majority of your time and you're miserable, but unlike people who have to stick it out at a job they hate, Ruby has no financial obligations resting on her shoulders so I have no sympathy for her situation. She has absolutely zero reasons to be in Oxford if she doesn't want to be, apart from this being her vanity project. She doesn't like her subject, she doesn't need that degree, she has no real interest in actual studies. She barely needed her bachelor degree to begin with, it's clear she can't hold down a regular job and this grown child act Youtube career looks like it's here to stay. So why bother?

She's torturing herself to prove that she's so smart and academic and special to an audience she doesn't even know. If she's miserable, she knows the way home. If she weren't a perpetual liar who has poisoned her viewers for years with 36 hour study days that she doesn't even complete, I'd be a bit more sympathetic. Now I just don't care. Baby Tory will be fine.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I've been here a long time but this stands out especially against other threads.
I wouldn't want to invite you to the Harry and Meghan threads then. Seriously.

I'm not a big fan of moderating threads or users, but one thing I—and I think many of us here—give @gossip_guy credit for is the fact that behind the sarcastic, often even parodic (and, arguably, funny) surface is a lot of knowledge about the stuff Ruby has really, really driven into the wall over the years. Not infrequently while demonstrably, provably knowing, lying or even just looking out for her own advantage.

Another piece of advice: when it comes to defending an influencer (I can't even seriously call Ruby that), better not even lurk in the gossip threads.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I think the mental health talk is a bit harsh tbh. You can be the brightest person out there and enjoy the work you’re doing but still struggle with your mental health. Especially in institutions like Oxford where everyone is going to be just as bright and just as - if not more - passionate as you are. A breeding ground for imposter syndrome

The effects on her mental health are not really in her control, and there’s probably more than a good chance that she went to Oxford so she shuts down that little part of her brain that says she’s not good enough. Plenty of academic people who didn’t get into Oxford or Cambridge do it

I think it can be very demotivating too once you start feeling that way

Reactions: 11
I'm sorry but gossip guy, that last post of yours goes beyond tattle and is just unfair. Okay, the work she does probably isnt getting to oxford levels but saying she has 'no genuine interest', and 'trash pile book' is excessive. She really is not perfect and that's why we are here to discuss these things but it seems you just have a deep hatred for some girl on the internet who really doesn't have anything to do with you? It's clear she's struggling like griftwood said. But I always see your posts and think you're just purposely shitting on her for laughs. Just my thoughts.
I wouldn't want to invite you to the Harry and Meghan threads then. Seriously.

I'm not a big fan of moderating threads or users, but one thing I—and I think many of us here—give @gossip_guy credit for is the fact that behind the sarcastic, often even parodic (and, arguably, funny) surface is a lot of knowledge about the stuff Ruby has really, really driven into the wall over the years. Not infrequently while demonstrably, provably knowing, lying or even just looking out for her own advantage.

Another piece of advice: when it comes to defending an influencer (I can't even seriously call Ruby that), better not even lurk in the gossip threads.
I've come to quite like GG incisive and "no holds barred" criticism over time, but even I think the post this is all in reference to is a little bit harsh. It's probably because it is not accompanied by criticism of something she has actually done. It's just ripping into her for being slightly vulnerable online.

Reactions: 2
I've been here a long time but this stands out especially against other threads.
Really? How so?

If you've read my posts before, then you know that this isn't exactly a change of tone or opinion for me. I do not believe for a second that Ruby has any interest in academia or literature. She likes appearing intelligent and well-read, but I don't believe she has any more of an interest than that.

In her time at Exeter, she's shown that she does everything she can to avoid engaging with the learning process and shortcut her way through academia, avoiding doing her own work whenever she can. She openly admitted to getting Blakeney to do half the required reading for her at Exeter and catch her up on it before seminars. She's freely admitted to using study guides before even cracking a book. The Oxford prep she's shown so far has mostly involved procrastination, "reading" books unrelated to the course she's studying, cracking open study guides again and getting ChatGPT to help her with work. These aren't the actions of someone with a genuine interest in learning.

As for her book, every piece of writing that she's shown online has been poorly written, if not completely incoherent, with no signs of improvement in the years she's been doing it. As with everything else, she doesn't appear to have any genuine interest in it. She appears to just rip off other books wholesale rather than use her imagination and is clearly just chasing an easy book deal. When she doesn't get it handed to her, she gets upset, scraps the book and starts over with a new ripoff. She's also complained before that she finds the editing and revision process - y'know, the fundamental part of writing where an author learns to improve their writing and their work - to be boring and mindless. Again, not the actions of someone who has a genuine passion for writing.

Contrary to what my snarky posts would have you believe, I don't have any hatred for Ruby as a person (though her content, the dishonest nature of it and a lot of her actions in the past have been pretty reprehensible). I sincerely hope she takes time off the internet, engages with therapy in a meaningful way and finds something she's actually interested in doing. But doubling down on her fake persona and borrowed interests ain't it. I never disputed that she was struggling at Oxford. On the contrary, pretty much everyone here expected she'd struggle. My point was that she's willingly put herself in a position where it was painfully obvious that she'd be struggling and I can't see how it'll do her any favours at all. She's her own worst enemy.

Ultimately, this is a gossip site. This isn't the rave thread for Ruby. Its here to discuss and poke fun at public figures in a way that's often going to seem harsh. If you weren't expecting that, you might be in the wrong place.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
God damn, I really thought we were going to get a new video at 5pm, I even scheduled my study break around it. Now I’ll need to watch another *checks notes* morning routine instead!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I've come to quite like GG incisive and "no holds barred" criticism over time, but even I think the post this is all in reference to is a little bit harsh. It's probably because it is not accompanied by criticism of something she has actually done. It's just ripping into her for being slightly vulnerable online.
Yeah but come on, posting “my mental health is bad’ online isn’t necessarily vulnerable, just strategic. I’d agree with you if it was a video of her crying at the debate or something :)

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.