Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Donald23

VIP Member
Location update - if she went to the tea thing in her housing she’s in some new housing (wasn’t their when I was in Oxford was being built) and it’s dead on the high street. Her flat looks to be overlooking a middle courtyard but it’s not where I would want to stay

Reactions: 1

Hannahebee

VIP Member
I feel like this is the same at other unis as well, but tbf to her I doubt many people follow those rules. I had a mini fridge and fairy lights in my uni room both of which "weren't allowed"

Then again I wasn't filming everything and shoving it on the Internet so 🤷
At Bath University they say that you must not bring a kettle to the university accommodation because of their health, safety and fire guidance. It also says that as a university they do provide these and other electrical appliances and make sure that they meet the latest safety standards.

hart301

Let me reiterate from my last post that there has been a trend where Universities are getting rid of the SAT for admissions, but generally in the US they’re considered the same as the GCSE while the AP exams are considered the same or equivalent to the A Levels

Corneilya

Oh definitely. Christian music is a whole genre, it's not just that the artist happens to be Christian, usually the songs are very explicitly "isn't Jesus awesome". And people who make Christianity their whole personality listen to that instead of filthy heathen pop music.

Maybe Ruby just got a song of hers recommended on Spotify and thought it was nice. I also think anything religious has different cultural connotations in the UK compared to the US. I can see how it would be a bit of a red flag in the US.
That's crazy, I never saw anything like this except in weird cheap documentaries on the weird side of TV, and it was always in the US, the only "religious" music we think about is more like gregorian chants or something like that. After, maybe she just liked the music itself because even if she had religious studies, she doesn't seem that into religion (at least I don't recall her mentionning prayers & cie, only stuff for her revisions).

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
Pret or Pret a Manger is a fancy sandwich/cafe/coffee shop here in the UK, mostly in the southern end of the country. They do a coffee subscription that I think you have to pay for and you'd have a consumer quite a lot of coffees from them in order for this subscription to actually save you any money or be worthwhile.
Since when does Ruby consume caffeine?

londongirl92

From her last video, the fact she’s got her novel back from her agent with edits… do we think she’s actually going to publish this one?!

theMoth

Chatty Member
Tbf I don’t think it’s that weird that her dad is in the back of the car. I’m guessing she gets travel sickness and therefore has to sit in the front.
I often sit in front when I'm driving with my parents. If my husband is in the car too, we both sit in the back. I used to have travel sickness when I was younger. Nowadays I don't get sick anymore, but it sometimes feels weird sitting in the back. I can't read (front and back) or just look down at my phone for a few minutes.

This is a not do important observation but i think she is going for light academia instead of dark. The outfits and and the general color palette of the video.

Also sugar plum fairy is now triggering to me.
I remember her saying in a video recently she is more light academia than dark academia

quartzen

From my experience college halls typically have pretty poor excuses for vegan food so I can’t imagine she’ll be too excited about that…

Lola123

VIP Member
I think she’s in different accommodation, Oxford usually don’t give post grads their college accommodation, there’s already too many undergrads for them to cope each year. I think she’s further up in a certain well known private accommodation as they’ve built quite a few of them in Oxford over the last few years

inyo

VIP Member
I've just been recommended this video. Dunno if this has been shown here before, but this is my first time seeing it O.O

Not sure how but this channel completely passed me by. I'm sure I would've loved indulging in the cringe back in the day.

Does anyone know who the blonde girl next to Ibz Mo is? I almost thought it was Astrid Wett at first.

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 22.55.15.png

soph30

VIP Member
The boring but true answer is that, with both Oxford and Cambridge, the accommodation situation varies from college to college. Sometimes postgrads will get a room in college, but usually not - they do much prefer to keep the undergraduates more central and it’s more often the postgrads who get other college-owned property (this can be converted houses or purpose built), sometimes nearby and sometimes further out. I have known people live bang in the middle of old desirable colleges (again, sometimes via pulling strings/money), but also sometimes the graduate blocks are really great and actually a better place to be. (There are also flats for married students!)
Yeah that's what I mean, usually not! As if they give it to one postgrad it's a bit unfair to not give it to the rest and it's the undergrads that are in bigger number. Interesting tea from Donald above that that room looks a bit modern for Jesus, do we reckon she's in some modern block and just pretending she's in the quad? :)

coldestofspirits

@missamericana I’m gonna guess DH and CLC, haha. ;) I think you’re totally correct about how unsuited Ruby would’ve been to boarding - she really struggled even at university, after all. Some kids just aren’t right for it, and I don’t even mean that as a criticism of her. Needing more family support, being more introverted and not a “self starter” as such, isn’t a bad thing per se.

hart301

If it’s the school I‘m thinking of, I’m not sure she would have got in and I really doubt she‘d have coped with it if she did. The family also strike me as the sort that want their girls to have the same education and that other school would not have suited Martha at all, even assuming she would have passed the entrance exams.
I agree. I know a lot of people go for non selective private schools / Christian schools because they’re usually non selective / give you a discount if you have a sibling.

soph30

VIP Member
I’m so curious if Rubert took the entrance exams for WA and/or the grammar. You’d think she would have been less shattered by her Oxford rejection if she had previously failed to get in somewhere? So maybe her parents didn’t put her in and preferred her to be a big fish in a tiny pond.

Edit: you certainly don’t have to be a genius to get into WA, but it’s arguably the top boarding school for girls - equivalent to SPGS among day schools.
Maybe her parents didn’t know about WA, they don’t seem the type to do their research on academics which is why they think Ruby’s sooo intelligent :)
It’s not really a Hogwarts type of boarding school though, more an anorexia pressure cooker and quite a big school so she may not have liked it. Also not sure she would have coped with boarding school at that age? Though I think they take day pupils I think it’s a bit far from Granger manor