Ruby Granger #40 Ruby the linguistic terrorist

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been thinking more about Ruby’s decision to apply for the early modern MSt, and how - to be frank - utterly ridiculous it is. She doesn’t like the period; it’s never been her literature of choice; we know this. She’s very obviously applied because it’s less competitive to get into compared to some of the other MSt courses. I realise these are not original points, but just recapping here before moving on.

The issue is that she is SO fixated on going to Oxford that she’s screwed herself over in terms of doing something she might actually like, academically. Feel free to skip my entire post if you’re not interested in deeply nerdy waffling about alternate options she could have (should have) taken.

Ruby will struggle to get good marks on the MSt, because she’s one of the weaker members of the cohort. She did a less rigorous degree and got a lot of help, whereas others in the cohort will have done more rigorous degrees without leaning on a friend the way Ruby did (and will also have genuine, independent interest in the period).

She will probably try to compensate for being at the weak end by (1) slogging and (2) sucking up to the dons, but neither will work quite as well at masters level. However, she’s canny enough to weaponise her mental health for extensions etc (I’m not concerned about mentioning this because I don’t believe it’s giving her ideas - she knows), and Oxford will grant those. She knows how to advantage herself.

If she underperforms in the masters, she will have a much more difficult time being accepted for a DPhil at Oxford (even though she is massively advantaged by not needing to win competitive funding, like most students). What she could have done - but didn’t because she just wanted to get to Oxford as quickly as possible - was do a masters in something that actually interested her (children’s literature), and where it was thus much more likely she would get higher marks. That would also have given her a more focused and refined application for DPhil at Oxford, along with, ironically, a stronger academic profile, and she could’ve gained a doctoral place for four years!

There absolutely are academics at Oxford who are interested in children’s literature and would have considered supervising her, if she’d presented a strong DPhil application with high masters marks in a relevant field. I’m not saying who they are because I refuse to help her, haha.

But her chances of successfully applying to write a doctoral thesis on something she would genuinely like (twentieth century literature for children/girls, mostly) are if anything hurt, not helped, by the MSt she is doing. It makes her look indecisive and academically unfocused. The appropriate MSt would have been the modern one, but I’m guessing she felt she wouldn’t get in, and was intimidated by the content. You don’t study modern and contemporary literature at a top university without engaging properly with literary theory and challenging texts. That’s why she should have done a focused masters somewhere else, aimed to nail that with high marks, and then gone for Oxford. But oh well. Too late now.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
The video is just a rehash of things that she has included in videos before as she has already mentioned about moving things into folders and getting rid of the things that you don't need, asking any questions that you might have for your teacher/lecturer, getting a good night's sleep, making sure that you are writing everyday and drinking enough water.
Yes do drink enough water but don't waste *productivity* time eating anything 🙄

The human brain runs on glucose and generally poor nutrition will send concentration levels down to hell. I'd bet this will never be mentioned in Roob's "Good studying habits" videos.
---
View attachment 2355621😭😭😭🤢 this has to be the worst to date
Nitpick I know, but she could have switched a light on the kitchen 👀

Reactions: 3
I’ve been thinking more about Ruby’s decision to apply for the early modern MSt, and how - to be frank - utterly ridiculous it is. She doesn’t like the period; it’s never been her literature of choice; we know this. She’s very obviously applied because it’s less competitive to get into compared to some of the other MSt courses. I realise these are not original points, but just recapping here before moving on.

The issue is that she is SO fixated on going to Oxford that she’s screwed herself over in terms of doing something she might actually like, academically. Feel free to skip my entire post if you’re not interested in deeply nerdy waffling about alternate options she could have (should have) taken.

Ruby will struggle to get good marks on the MSt, because she’s one of the weaker members of the cohort. She did a less rigorous degree and got a lot of help, whereas others in the cohort will have done more rigorous degrees without leaning on a friend the way Ruby did (and will also have genuine, independent interest in the period).

She will probably try to compensate for being at the weak end by (1) slogging and (2) sucking up to the dons, but neither will work quite as well at masters level. However, she’s canny enough to weaponise her mental health for extensions etc (I’m not concerned about mentioning this because I don’t believe it’s giving her ideas - she knows), and Oxford will grant those. She knows how to advantage herself.

If she underperforms in the masters, she will have a much more difficult time being accepted for a DPhil at Oxford (even though she is massively advantaged by not needing to win competitive funding, like most students). What she could have done - but didn’t because she just wanted to get to Oxford as quickly as possible - was do a masters in something that actually interested her (children’s literature), and where it was thus much more likely she would get higher marks. That would also have given her a more focused and refined application for DPhil at Oxford, along with, ironically, a stronger academic profile, and she could’ve gained a doctoral place for four years!

There absolutely are academics at Oxford who are interested in children’s literature and would have considered supervising her, if she’d presented a strong DPhil application with high masters marks in a relevant field. I’m not saying who they are because I refuse to help her, haha.

But her chances of successfully applying to write a doctoral thesis on something she would genuinely like (twentieth century literature for children/girls, mostly) are if anything hurt, not helped, by the MSt she is doing. It makes her look indecisive and academically unfocused. The appropriate MSt would have been the modern one, but I’m guessing she felt she wouldn’t get in, and was intimidated by the content. You don’t study modern and contemporary literature at a top university without engaging properly with literary theory and challenging texts. That’s why she should have done a focused masters somewhere else, aimed to nail that with high marks, and then gone for Oxford. But oh well. Too late now.
I have to admit I’ve long wondered why she didn’t go for a Masters in Children’s Literature. I know of a couple of courses and they are pretty prestigious and the grads I know have gone on to do things like writing children’s books and working in YA publishing. It just seems like that would be such a good fit for Ruby - she wouldn’t necessarily be able to do it at Oxbridge but there would be nothing stopping her going to Oxbridge later on. It just seems to me that at this level, you need to have an interest in what you’re studying or you’re going to really struggle, and like you say, Ruby doesn’t really seem to have a real interest in her course.

Reactions: 23
I have to admit I’ve long wondered why she didn’t go for a Masters in Children’s Literature. I know of a couple of courses and they are pretty prestigious and the grads I know have gone on to do things like writing children’s books and working in YA publishing. It just seems like that would be such a good fit for Ruby - she wouldn’t necessarily be able to do it at Oxbridge but there would be nothing stopping her going to Oxbridge later on. It just seems to me that at this level, you need to have an interest in what you’re studying or you’re going to really struggle, and like you say, Ruby doesn’t really seem to have a real interest in her course.
It's because it's all about the AHSTATIK and prestige. It's the same with her writing. She could have easily tried to self publish her books, but for her it seems getting a traditional book deal is the only way to be an accomplished writer so she desperately clings to the idea that penguin will one day see the child genius she is and give her a deal.

Reactions: 19
The thing is, there's nothing wrong with having an academic interest in children's books (there's nothing wrong with having an unacademic interest in it as something to read that's light and fun for those times when you don't feel like putting effort into reading) but somehow Ruby's managing to portray herself online as someone who's Serious About Books but simultaneously as someone's who's not actually at all into the serious side of literature. And that's fine! The vast vast majority of us are the latter. She'd just be so much more interesting if she was more real about who she is and what she actually likes.

I don't think I've ever watched one of her videos in my life but if she was to hold her hand up and say unapologetically "Here's a ten minute video about my thoughts on Malory Towers, yeah, I like kids' books, what of it?", I might watch that. Even a rambling video on "I like children's books because they let me forget that I'm supposed to be moving into an adult life where there's no defined structure to what I'm supposed to do and that terrifies me" - tons of people can relate to "adulting is scary". Drop the dark academia act and go full-on cosy, comforting and familiar.

The whole influencer thing came about in the first place because these were real people with real opinions who we trusted. The ones who haven't sold out their opinions & personalities and who are honest and authentic are the ones people still like. Be real, Ruby!

Reactions: 25
Found an old screenshot while going through the folder to clean it up. I used to take these, thinking that I'd share it with you guys once I got on tattle hehe
Screenshot (283).png

This "trulg" magical place was "a tad too expensive" for Rubmbster "even with the discounts". You know, sometimes she does act like she can't afford stuff like new books, because she heard others complaining about prices, and wrote it down on her "how to blend in with humans" list.

But sometimes, I'm staring to think, it comes from genuine ✨ stinginess ✨ She doesn't wanna pay. Period.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Be real, Ruby!
This is her biggest issue, and she will never overcome it. Her entire life and persona is built on in this make believe version of what she thinks is a well-read, academic, eccentric person. None of her interests feel genuine to me, everything is a prop for her camera. She doesn't know how not to perform and I also think this Oxford era isn't even for herself, it's to prove to her viewers and others that she is the kind of person who gets accepted into Oxford. I often wonder how anxious and tired she must be, trying to keep up this ridiculous act and her massive jumble of lies. She doesn't need a postgraduate degree, she needs extensive therapy.

Reactions: 24
I think she would always have found Oxford stressful, but she is going to find the early modern MSt way worse than if she was doing a DPhil in something she actually liked. I very reluctantly do feel sorry for her - which I hate! As I think her content is quite harmful and she’s a very insincere person. But I’ve seen a lot of people struggle in the Oxbridge environment (including good friends), and I don’t wish that on anyone.

Reactions: 5

I’m sorry, but what on earth suggests that Ruby will ‘weaponise’ her mental health to get extensions? I’ve watched her content for years and have never seen her get an extension once, even when she was clearly exhausted and suffering mentally and physically due to her unsustainable working and eating habits. There were several moments during her time at Exeter when she should have taken a break and asked for an extension. Unfortuately I think she is way too proud and obsessed with being a perfect student to ever ask for an extension. I’d love to see her be able to ask for an extension. More people should ask for them!

And side note: There’s genuinely nothing wrong with asking for an extension whenever you feel like it could benefit you. Students have lives outside of uni and it’s a stressful time. The worst that can happen is the uni says no. It’s really never ‘weaponising’ anything to ask for an extension...

Sur-f*cking-prise 🙄 We can’t deliver, but it’s a good thing, really!

View attachment 2388905
That's right Ruby send orders out with Evri who are well known for losing parcels, saying the package is on it's way but it doesn't actually get delivered, packages arrive late, parcels getting delivered to the wrong address and dumping parcels anywhere which get stolen or ruined if it rains.
I mean you only have to look at various reviews to see how bad Evri is as a company and she has the same problems with the planner every year but does nothing to rectify the situation.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
There’s genuinely nothing wrong with asking for an extension whenever you feel like it could benefit you. Students have lives outside of uni and it’s a stressful time. The worst that can happen is the uni says no. It’s really never ‘weaponising’ anything to ask for an extension...
That attitude is insane. Extensions are for real problems like legitimate, serious illness, not because you’re a bit stressed or can’t get it together. Otherwise what is the point of having a deadline in the first place?

If you’re a big fan of Ruby’s you…may not enjoy this thread very much, I’m afraid. 😂 (Not trying to say you can’t post or anything, but this is a weirdly defensive response to my post and you seem Very Invested.)

Reactions: 8
That attitude is insane. Extensions are for real problems like legitimate, serious illness, not because you’re a bit stressed or can’t get it together. Otherwise what is the point of having a deadline in the first place?

If you’re a big fan of Ruby’s you…may not enjoy this thread very much, I’m afraid. 😂 (Not trying to say you can’t post or anything, but this is a weirdly defensive response to my post and you seem Very Invested.)
Now , now ladies its pre autum ✨✨ and our favoite day of the week (sunday) is almost upon us ✨ ✨ ✨ lets be kind ✨✨✨✨ I will send u thank u letters if u agree to disagree ✨✨✨

• Haha
I mean you only have to look at various reviews to see how bad Evri is as a company and she has the same problems with the planner every year but does nothing to rectify the situation.
Literally every year this happens and she doesn’t have the hindsight to release the planners at least a month earlier. It’s bad business practice and honestly at this point I don’t feel even feel bad for her like I used to when the planners first launched.

And another point, she has followers in the US. Here most people go back to school/college in mid August if not early September. If I were to have bought her planner it wouldn’t even be here in time for classes. If she launched it earlier then it would for sure get delivered in time for both US and Europe people.

Reactions: 15
Important lessons being learned by her fans. The lesson not to part with 18.50 for a cheaply produced spiral bound nyyyyotebook that may not even ship.
It seems like her fans never learn a lesson from her. They buy them every year. If they didn't, she wouldn't still have them made and we wouldn't see a bunch of people whining that they aren't receiving them or that something is wrong/missing. Last week I ordered my custom Erin Condren planner. I love the setup and how they appeal to post-education customers. I can choose the front, the colour of the spiral, the setup, what it says on the front cover (name, initials, something else) and use stickers I buy from Happy Planner and Etsy shops to personalize each week. It costs more, but is worth it. I just don't find hers at all attractive and you can buy nicer planners at low prices at any drugstore or bookstore. Barnes & Noble usually have tons of them. I already received mine. Like someone already said, many people in the US have already gone back to school and uni, the rest with the next 2 weeks. Her planner is basically useless to any of them. Too little, too late.

Reactions: 3
This is her biggest issue, and she will never overcome it. Her entire life and persona is built on in this make believe version of what she thinks is a well-read, academic, eccentric person. None of her interests feel genuine to me, everything is a prop for her camera. She doesn't know how not to perform and I also think this Oxford era isn't even for herself, it's to prove to her viewers and others that she is the kind of person who gets accepted into Oxford. I often wonder how anxious and tired she must be, trying to keep up this ridiculous act and her massive jumble of lies. She doesn't need a postgraduate degree, she needs extensive therapy.
Last sentence rhymes, would be a good Thread title.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Ruby having two full pencil cases... I remember going to class with only a notepad, a folder and a pencil, as well as a voice recorder, all in my old eastpak I have since the start of highschool ( and still use today, almost 17 years after) . Maybe I was a bit too devil-may-care but damn girl, you're not in school anymore, no need for all of that. Her whole backpack stuff was already a bit ridiculous in school but in uni... The only "good point" is the second bag, way better.

Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.