Ruby Granger #40 Ruby the linguistic terrorist

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Agreed - I mean I get that she can’t help the way her thumbs are, but I’m sure she could get a professional manicure with some pointers, her nails would look so much better.
Yep, the short thumbs are not the issue (as we know that’s totally out of her control), it’s the scraggly, overgrown, uncared for nails. Slapping some cheap nail polish on them does not count. She’d be better off not painting them at all and just focusing on shaping them nicely and caring for her cuticles. Even that wouldn’t matter so much if she didn’t insist on always showing her hands in “aesthetic” closeup videos. I will never understand her willingness to keep including dirt, mess and dead insects in her content. My life isn’t perfect but you can bet I’d clean up a bit and trim my nails if I was going to broadcast some aspect if it to thousands of people online.

Reactions: 18
I can’t believe I missed Ruby Granger being on this site!

My niece (who’s the same age as Ruby) used to watch her all the damn time and I often caught some of her stuff. She even had her god awful Erimentha Parker book which I once read out of morbid curiosity (time I’m still trying desperately to get back to no avail) and my god it was atrocious!

I‘m honestly surprised Ruby hasn’t lapsed into catatonic schizophrenia given her ridiculous time tables, unachievable productivity mambo jumbo and 40 books in a day nonsense.

Reactions: 20
I have a question. I really don't know how things work in the UK school systems. But could this happen?

Ruby picked an obscure study so she could get into Oxford for her MA. She isn't even interested in the time period, but as it is not a popular one, it is easier to get into, so she tried for it and got in.

Once she gets there, maybe even takes some classes, could she changed her MA focus to one that she prefers and they would accept her, now that she has her foot in the door, or is that out of the question. In other words, we saw her change her major. Could she pull that one again at Oxford for her MA?

I am thinking no, because you were accepted for a very specific study and nothing else. But, like I said, if it is possible, I wouldn't put it past her.

Reactions: 6
I have a question. I really don't know how things work in the UK school systems. But could this happen?

Ruby picked an obscure study so she could get into Oxford for her MA. She isn't even interested in the time period, but as it is not a popular one, it is easier to get into, so she tried for it and got in.

Once she gets there, maybe even takes some classes, could she changed her MA focus to one that she prefers and they would accept her, now that she has her foot in the door, or is that out of the question. In other words, we saw her change her major. Could she pull that one again at Oxford for her MA?

I am thinking no, because you were accepted for a very specific study and nothing else. But, like I said, if it is possible, I wouldn't put it past her.
It’s actually very easy to change your course at Oxford at any level. All you need is everyone to agree and sign off on it. You might have to do an extra module or two that you missed while you were doing your original course and thus you might graduate slightly later but yes they let you.

I wouldn’t put it past her to change what she’s doing. I’m surprised she chose the MA she did.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
It’s actually very easy to change your course at Oxford at any level. All you need is everyone to agree and sign off on it. You might have to do an extra module or two that you missed while you were doing your original course and thus you might graduate slightly later but yes they let you.

I wouldn’t put it past her to change what she’s doing. I’m surprised she chose the MA she did.
Maybe that's why she hasn't done much of her course readings. She might not plan on actually taking those courses

Reactions: 15
Maybe that's why she hasn't done much of her course readings. She might not plan on actually taking those courses
Quite possibly.

The 1550-1700 course doesn’t really sound like her jam when all she talks about is Victorian aesthetic and romanticism.

I mean she might find it fascinating and carry it on. On the other hand (and what I suspect will happen) it might take her too far out of her comfort zone and she’ll want to change.

I know when I studied that time period I enjoyed it immensely though it damn near broke me as that stuff is hard, especially at MA level. I ended up switching to English Language and Linguistics lol.

Reactions: 12
Yes, this is exactly what I am thinking too. She has been very quiet about it all, really. Just these weird back to school videos that cater to pre-teens. It is so cringe that she makes these still. The fact that she has avoided questions about Oxford and what she is studying, how she is preparing for her Masters and just a feeling of her completely disinterested makes me feel she does not plan to stick with it, but instead switch once she is there. Then we will get all her sob vlogs of why she changed and how everyone is questioning her. Nothing about her is genuine.

Reactions: 23

No, it really isn’t that easy - and especially not changing from one MSt to another strand.

(Oxford and Cambridge taught masters programmes are also not MAs, because the “standard” undergraduate degree is “upgraded” automatically to MA anyway.)

Edit: I will say, though, that if anyone can secure special treatment like this? That person would be Ruby.

Reactions: 6
I must confess I had also wondered whether she'd try to switch once she's got her foot through those 'hallowed Oxford portals'.

She has never given the impression of being in the least interested in 1500-1700 literature. Not at all. What I am now wondering is it really that easy to switch to another MSt?

One thing I do know is she needs to move on from what's in my school bag videos. She's 23. It's just strange. Also why carry all that lot? She'll be like the scene in legally blond where everyone else has a laptop and she's there with a pad and paper. She probably now has a Winnie-the-pooh pad and a piglet pen.

Reactions: 14
You don’t need many original ideas or thoughts for a nine-month taught masters - there is plenty of support from the departmental staff in choosing appropriate topics for your work. I think where she would struggle most in a more recent masters that would actually be relevant (time-wise) to her interests would be the expectation to engage with literary theory and with challenging canonical texts from the Victorian or modern era.

She is basically counting on the idea that the early modern one will be a bit more skills / “studying” based because it’s older. That’s … an over simplification of the reality, but there is also, sort of, a nugget of truth in it. It isn’t enough to compensate for her poor preparation and lack of interest, though. I won’t go into more detail because honestly, I don’t think anyone is really interested in trends in early modern studies! 😂

Reactions: 15
Why is there no 'ad' text or similar on her latest video, she displays her planner within seconds?!

Reactions: 7
omg rubys reel of her 10 back to school essentials and i am honestly shocked at how bad her nails looked. the chipped nail polish and the unkempt nails like...... what ??? how can u claim to be a perfectionist when u go around with such ratty looking nails. if u cant be bothered repainting ur nails and keeping on top of them ok... just stop painting them. keep them trimmed and clean. this is such a basic thing????

Reactions: 10

Also gotta think of the amount of views and engagement a "I dropped out of my dream course at oxford university" would get ...

• Wow
Reactions: 9
No, it really isn’t that easy - and especially not changing from one MSt to another strand.

(Oxford and Cambridge taught masters programmes are also not MAs, because the “standard” undergraduate degree is “upgraded” automatically to MA anyway.)

Edit: I will say, though, that if anyone can secure special treatment like this? That person would be Ruby.
Yeah highly unlikely. The Oxford English MSt is super condensed time wise. Unless you switch after max one week, you're screwing yourself over massively in having enough time to get the coursework in.

On another note, have I missed any discussion about the carrot crumble....? It came up on my Insta this morning (prompted me to come back on the thread) and I nearly spat out my coffee....

• Haha
Reactions: 7
omg rubys reel of her 10 back to school essentials and i am honestly shocked at how bad her nails looked. the chipped nail polish and the unkempt nails like...... what ??? how can u claim to be a perfectionist when u go around with such ratty looking nails. if u cant be bothered repainting ur nails and keeping on top of them ok... just stop painting them. keep them trimmed and clean. this is such a basic thing????
I have a pressing urge to send Ruby one of those 1940s-1950s public education videos where the narrator is a dictator about hygiene and good grooming.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
omg A new video about resetting herself. Didn't she just reset after resetting during her vacation? Is she an android that needs to get recharged and defragged every few weeks? This is pure nonsense. She doesn't even go back until October. So this must be the pre-fall reset, aka the "I'm so jealous of everyone starting year 7 because I want to be a child again, so let's pretend we are going back to school and not Uni!" reset. Seriously? Reality check, please? I would love to throw her into retail and see how she performs in a basic undergrad job. Then I would like to stuff her in an office and see how she fares with life in a cubicle. No time for twirling. Often no window! Just noise, chaos, and phones ringing off the hook.

Reactions: 32
I don’t know how she needs so many resets, it’s not like there’s anything going on in her life or her brain. Maybe it’s like what you do when there’s an unidentifiable IT problem, just reboot reboot reboot until 1) sudden fix or 2) give up and get a new hard drive.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.