Ruby Granger #40 Ruby the linguistic terrorist

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There likely will be a fair amount of archive work. This is the course you do as training if you want to become an academic working in this field, in order to acquire the professional skills (working with very old books, MSS, etc), so it does focus a decent amount on that stuff. However, Ruby manages to talk about it in a rather confusing and misleading way!
I was just curious as I'm currently do a history Mlitt as I focus on the early modern period like what Ruby will be doing for the course , so I've done some archive work for assignments but not as much as Ruby is making out that she will be doing.

She does speak about the archives as if she will be there all the time and it will fit into the dark academia aesthetic. I can see her thinking that she is going to discover something brand-new in the archives that's not been found before ect.

I do remember going to the archives for the dissertation last year even though all of her sources were already published and she spent more time looking at suffragette letters and going on about how she was amazed a letter was written in a hurry ECG.

I feel as if she might be a bit disappointed as archive work can be very dry and not to mention the paleography (handwriting) can be difficult to transcribe, and sometimes it can take ages and the document isn't even that useful! That is a soul destroying moment!

She might also be disappointed where she is given a digital copy of the document than the real one for the means of conversation. Plus for some reason with how scruffy Ruby is, I would want to keep her away from 16th century documents for their protection !

Reactions: 20
my god... how does she go from seeming like a regular 23 year old with friends (even if they're cousins) to literally roleplaying like a kid in school? Ruby you're in graduate school. Give OTHER COLLEGE STUDENTS ADVICE.

She aims her channel towards high school students and younger when she should be talking college things with peers, her videos haven't progressed at all in years.

ALSO okay so she takes Gaviscon tablets?? Does she struggle with heartburn?

TW //
possibly ED related?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Screenshot_20230817_083346_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230817_083350_Chrome.jpg

She's reposting stories from her online friends who've received their gifted crappy planners. Almost every one is beaten to tit, with crumpled and/or creased corners or gouges in them. And this is them brand new. Imagine what they'll look like after a day of getting knocked around in a bag.

• Wow
Reactions: 27
@Redrose97 I did the equivalent course at Cambridge and know a lot of people who have done Ruby’s course, so that’s what I’m basing it on. She definitely gives a highly delusional and false idea of what this kind of course is like. I’m just not sure how much of that is intentional lying (ie she does actually know the reality but wants to mislead viewers for some reason), and how much is her being too arrogant to get a clue about what lies in store. We know she (at least periodically) reads Tattle - she may not read here all the time, of course. But I’ve commented about the MSt on here before so if she’s reading the threads at all regularly she will have seen it. I hope she does know what it’s going to be like because - even being as awful as she is - I can’t bring myself to actively wish that she hates the course and has a horrible time. That just seems like a waste of a place (even more than it is anyway…).

The Bod is an exceptional resource for early modern literature so she would be well placed to take advantage of that if she cared to - plus most of the older colleges have their own private holdings that you can request permission to access. It’s a shame she just isn’t into the period she’s studying.

Reactions: 15
Imagine being in a lecture and everyone's there with their laptops and then this vision in Miss Patina bursts through the door and proceeds to tip the entire contents of a Ryman's superstore out on the desk next to you. Followed by what you think is the early tremors of an earthquake but is actually just The Planner being hauled out of the kanken and clanked down onto the desk, scattering washi tape and Gaviscon tablets to the four winds.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 42
Screenshot (633).png

"cutest toast I've ever happened across"

isn't it, "happened to come across"? or is "happened across" also a saying?

also wtf is "charming rivers I'm yet to see"?? she's talking as if she saw the rivers, but the rivers are rivers that she's yet to see? If she didn't see them, then, well, why the duck not, if you were already there, why mention it at all? obviously she did see the rivers, and they were the most charming rivers she has ever seen, but she wanted to sounds like the most brightest smartest kindest little girl ever lived, but also forgot her brain is dead and can't make sense of words anymore, not that it ever did. Honestly, it's not even a rare expression—yet to see. How how how so much duck-up?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
View attachment 2385658

"cutest toast I've ever happened across"

isn't it, "happened to come across"? or is "happened across" also a saying?

also wtf is "charming rivers I'm yet to see"?? she's talking as if she saw the rivers, but the rivers are rivers that she's yet to see? If she didn't see them, then, well, why the duck not, if you were already there, why mention it at all? obviously she did see the rivers, and they were the most charming rivers she has ever seen, but she wanted to sounds like the most brightest smartest kindest little girl ever lived, but also forgot her brain is dead and can't make sense of words anymore, not that it ever did. Honestly, it's not even a rare expression—yet to see. How how how so much duck-up?
I think ‘happened upon’ is more correct (or ‘happened to come across’ if you must), but it’s old-fashioned either way.

Reactions: 14
Jesus for work I just turn up with a couple of pens my name badge water bottle that I will fill up but not drink
I think my colleagues would be shocked if I pulled out half a stationery shop
I started a new job recently and I pulled up with a whole pencil case with something like £50 worth of stationery 🤣 I have a colour blocking system for tasks (long story...) that I am going to continue using and used to use at school to cut sections of notes up. I have a jotter and composition book that I will be stuffing with notes and to do lists as time goes by. Bit ironic as my office is basically digital now 🤣

Imagine being in a lecture and everyone's there with their laptops and then this vision in Miss Patina bursts through the door and proceeds to tip the entire contents of a Ryman's superstore out on the desk next to you. Followed by what you think is the early tremors of an earthquake but is actually just The Planner being hauled out of the kanken and clanked down onto the desk, scattering washi tape and Gaviscon tablets to the four winds.
It's attention seeking at this point

Reactions: 5
In her latest what's in my uni bag video, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH HER THUMB NAIL!!?? I mean her actual nail. Did/ does she bite her nails at all? I've bitten my nails for as long as I can remember, I hate it but when I can manage to let them grow they don't look like hers?

Please, someone correct me if she has some sort of condition that would make them grow that way, but I'm sorry, that specific thumbnail looked revolting.

I’ve had several friends who have the same condition as her re: the way her thumb itself looks, and none of them have had nails like that. It just looks like a reflection of the same half-assed way she does everything else.

Reactions: 1
What’s in my uni bag - Well, I never had one. 🤷‍♀️
Shoving my laptop or a notepad, a pen and a bottle of water in my backpack a minute before I had to leave was the closest to a uni bag I ever got. When I actually went to the lecture that is... Most of my lecturers uploaded presentations anyway so there was no need to listen to them read their slides for 90 minutes.

Reactions: 8
In her latest what's in my uni bag video, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH HER THUMB NAIL!!?? I mean her actual nail. Did/ does she bite her nails at all? I've bitten my nails for as long as I can remember, I hate it but when I can manage to let them grow they don't look like hers?

Please, someone correct me if she has some sort of condition that would make them grow that way, but I'm sorry, that specific thumbnail looked revolting.
It's called brachydactyly and lots of people have it (me, Megan Fox lol). It's just that hers are badly trimmed and her nail polish has gone weird and cracked, which makes it look like a fungal infection

Reactions: 7
What's in Ruby's uni bag/school bag. Don't care about that but what's in her future, carrying that lot about, is a bad back!!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I like a good what’s in my bag but I always did. Ruby however is ridiculous as always. You need your water, notebook, a pen, lip balm, possibly iPad/laptop, relevant papers, snack, tea/coffee and keys/ID. Especially in Oxford where your hardly away from “home” all day! When I lived off campus I’d bring a backpack with like lunch and stuff as well as getting home was a bit of a trek (and I despised one of my housemates and liked to avoid making small talk..)

Ruby doesn’t need half of a Victorian stationers and apothecary.

Reactions: 17
Why post this? It looks fecking nasty. Watery sauce, different types of pasta (so one is sure to be undercooked or overcooked), all the old crumbs down the side of the cooker, and the dusty pans in the background. It's just grim all around.
She would feel so much better if her house was cleaner. No wonder she always looks and sounds so grim and pasty and unmotivated.

When my house is dirty or messy my mental state gets a lot worse, I have no energy and I don't even want to leave my room because the mess stresses me out. Merely knowing that my kitchen is dirty or that I haven't done the laundry all week and it's piling up in the bin is a giant mental burden for me.
The only way to feel better is to force myself to break the vicious cycle, get up and clean even though I feel like I would literally rather die. Once everything is clean and decluttered again I feel way better.

Reactions: 19
Why post this? It looks fecking nasty. Watery sauce, different types of pasta (so one is sure to be undercooked or overcooked), all the old crumbs down the side of the cooker, and the dusty pans in the background. It's just grim all around.
Is that pan what the Bones' use as a food bin? Certainly looks like food waste to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
She's the world's worst cook and has made a cookbook. Imagine if a cleaning manual is next.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.