Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Recap:
Ruby seems obsessed with 'aesthetic' and schedules every hour of her day.
Ruby seems increasingly more focussed on dressing like a child and portraying child like behaviours.
Eveything is romanticised.
It seems everything has to be 'highly productive' or else it is worthless.
A lot of what is expressed in videos and on Instagram seems thoughtful and virtuous on a surface level, however is actually quite the opposite, such as Miss Patina being called a small business when the manufacturing origin and number of shops says otherwise.
Anxiety and busywork seem to link with 'productivity' though on these threads we tend to perceive that there's a lot of 'work hard not smart' going on.

More eloquent posters on this thread can certainly add more to the recap.

Reactions: 18
Recap cont:

-continues to value quantity over quality
-greatly exaggerates the number of books she reads by inflating the numbers with re-reads, children's books and partly-read texts
-never strays far from her comfort zone and has daddy tracking her location
-has superficial understanding of the things she reads and only engaging with the text on a "liked-didn't like" spectrum

Reactions: 17
quick question, do any of you count audio books as read on goodreads? as ive seen some arguments about this and was just wondering what everyone though. does ruby listen to audio books right?

Reactions: 6
Recap has to include her having the audacity to upload a "what I got for Christmas" video in one of the worst years in recent memory. Had a big disclaimer to justify uploading it and to try and "acknowledge" her privilege, but failed on both counts.

Reactions: 11
quick question, do any of you count audio books as read on goodreads? as ive seen some arguments about this and was just wondering what everyone though. does ruby listen to audio books right?
I don't do goodreads but I do count audiobooks as valid for review. I tend to enjoy them whilst crafting as I struggle to sit still with a physical book at the moment. I'm working on trying to do a bit of both though as I used to enjoy sitting with a paperback. I think in previous threads the general consensus was that discounting audiobooks is ableist because not everyone has the ability to read print easily or at all and I reckon a review of an audiobook is just as valid for a site like Goodreads.

Recap has to include her having the audacity to upload a "what I got for Christmas" video in one of the worst years in recent memory. Had a big disclaimer to justify uploading it and to try and "acknowledge" her privilege, but failed on both counts.
Oh yes, and it never ended, the gifts kept coming and coming!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I don't do goodreads but I do count audiobooks as valid for review. I tend to enjoy them whilst crafting as I struggle to sit still with a physical book at the moment. I'm working on trying to do a bit of both though as I used to enjoy sitting with a paperback. I think in previous threads the general consensus was that discounting audiobooks is ableist because not every has the ability to read print easily or at all and I reckon a review of an audiobook is just as valid for a site like Goodreads.

Oh yes, and it never ended, the gifts kept coming and coming!

Agree completely with this. I've also noticed that people who don't like audiobooks/think they don't really count as reading are those who don't have a good attention span so if they listened to an audiobook they would miss things. You would think they would be more impressed with people who can listen to audiobooks and follow the story then but not always the case! I only really listen to non fiction or books I know will be an easy read on audio. I wouldn't listen to anything experimental or really literary as I prefer the book in that case but no hate to anyone who listens to just audiobooks. A book is a book is a book.

It's weird a physical book is seen as reading in its purest form when actually audio goes back to oral storytelling traditions and therefore could be seen as more authentic. Reminds me of that Stephen King quote about ebooks that they are "no more a threat to books than an escalator is to stairs".

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Agree completely with this. I've also noticed that people who don't like audiobooks/think they don't really count as reading are those who don't have a good attention span so if they listened to an audiobook they would miss things. You would think they would be more impressed with people who can listen to audiobooks and follow the story then but not always the case! I only really listen to non fiction or books I know will be an easy read on audio. I wouldn't listen to anything experimental or really literary as I prefer the book in that case but no hate to anyone who listens to just audiobooks. A book is a book is a book.

It's weird a physical book is seen as reading in its purest form when actually audio goes back to oral storytelling traditions and therefore could be seen as more authentic. Reminds me of that Stephen King quote about ebooks that they are "no more a threat to books than an escalator is to stairs".
Also people don’t consider not everyone is able to read physical books as well, like would they be saying it if the person was disabled? Or was partially sighted? It really is stupid, the whole premise should be that if you enjoy a book regardless of it’s form that’s great if it gets people reading

Reactions: 23
Agree completely with this. I've also noticed that people who don't like audiobooks/think they don't really count as reading are those who don't have a good attention span so if they listened to an audiobook they would miss things. You would think they would be more impressed with people who can listen to audiobooks and follow the story then but not always the case!
This! I don't listen to audio books myself but I'll never understand why some people say they don't count. It's still a book at the end of the day! A lot of people don't have the luxury to be able to sit down and just read.

Unfortunately elitism and gatekeeping is in every community and it's weird, just let people do what they want

Reactions: 22
Also people don’t consider not everyone is able to read physical books as well, like would they be saying it if the person was disabled? Or was partially sighted? It really is stupid, the whole premise should be that if you enjoy a book regardless of it’s form that’s great if it gets people reading
Exactly, and the story and quality of writing can be reviewed whether heard or seen, the plot is still the same, as are the words.
I'm sure Ruby has mentioned audiobook s in the past but in her recent video she said she prefers walking without music or books because walks are her mediation at the moment.

Reactions: 3
This! I don't listen to audio books myself but I'll never understand why some people say they don't count. It's still a book at the end of the day! A lot of people don't have the luxury to be able to sit down and just read.

Unfortunately elitism and gatekeeping is in every community and it's weird, just let people do what they want
Exactly. I struggle a bit with audiobooks, I spend all day being talked at and I can’t do that again for relaxation 😀 However I don’t see them as any different, you’re still engaging with the book and sometimes, a really good voice actor can totally enhance the story.

additions to the recap:
- she gets up two hours before sunrise (during winter, like its hard)
- frolicking in the field while her dad tracks her
- complains about being cold while wearing no socks and light cotton shirts or reading outside for the aesthetics

Reactions: 17
Why is she even getting up so early and then just faff about for a full 3 hours? There was literally no need for her to get up at that time.

I hate this notion that getting up early = productivity. Why?? As long as you spend X number of hours working, what does it matter if you do it between 05:00 and 14:00 or between 10:00 and 19:00?

It made me really sad, there were so many people in the comments saying how they felt like they had already failed at being productive because they slept until noon and not measuring up to this ridiculous standard.

If you feel like you're more alert in the morning, by all means do your work in the morning. But some people are more productive in the afternoon/evening. Fitness gurus are guilty of this too. If you want to get your life together you must go on a run at 6am. wtf? why add this additional barrier to motivation? why not go for a run at lunchtime?

It's like they need to prove that they are superior to you because they get up earlier. When that just means they are wiped out be early afternoon. I'm sorry but some of us have stuff to do in the evening, we can't all be going to bed at 20:30 jesus

• Heart
Reactions: 38
With regards to the getting up before sunrise that would be around 6am if she's going to bed at 9.30 she's had eight and half hours sleep which is a normal amount of sleep

Reactions: 2
With regards to the getting up before sunrise that would be around 6am if she's going to bed at 9.30 she's had eight and half hours sleep which is a normal amount of sleep
9:30 is still ridiculously early for someone her age. especially as she said it takes her hours to fall asleep. maybe that's just not a natural time for her body clock to be forcing herself to go to bed.

is she holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to go to sleep at 20.30 or sumn? 😭
Nope, but if you ever read her comment section you would see that people express feelings of inferiority if they can't keep up with her schedule. So a little more sensitivity and framing would be nice. Like explaining why she likes to do it that way and maybe also addressing that it's most important to find the rythms that suit you and your lifestyle instead of constantly putting out these unrealistic routines and enjoying the fact that an army of young people is expressing feelings of inferiority and adores you for your discipline. That's just narcistic, not inspirational.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
is she holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to go to sleep at 20.30 or sumn? 😭
sigh...
as i said, there were may people in the comment section expressing feelings of inferiority and discouragement due to the fact that they hadn't gotten up early and could therefore had already written off the day as wasted and could never be as productive as her.
No-one is forcing them at gunpoint to feel that way. however, perpetuating the myth that productivity is related to getting up early is learly having that effect on her viewers

Reactions: 9
And I mean, of course there isn't a gun involved. But the term "influencer" is already a pretty clear job description. What they put out is meant to influence others.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.