Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's no chapter 10 in the book, so we're ploughing ahead.

After making a volcano model together and being one of her only friends, Erimnetha decides to avoid Simone for the whole week, and hangs out with a new person, Melody.

There's a girl in Year 5 hanging out in a quiet room and Erimentha notes how short she is compared with Nathan.

Erimentha presents her extra work on hurricanes. Afterwards, Kimberly taps her on the forearm and Erimentha notices her fingers are cold - she assumes this is because of poor circulation due to lack of exercise. Girl, who asked you?!

The other girls start throwing stuff, she goes to the bathroom, drinks some water wondering how much water it would take to kill a person and that she'll look it up [Ed: I can't make this funny, sorry]

Miss Soloman leaves the room and someone has sabotaged Erimentha's fountain pen, ink everywhere, much mess. Kimberly's eyes are pale and cold again, maybe this is how she shapeshifts. Miss Soloman returns, asks what has happened, she has bought an orange with her (is this supposed to be a visual warning, the same way Francis Ford Coppola did in the Godfather series?). Miss Soloman tells Erimentha to clean it up, Erimentha cries.
Two Chapter 8s and no Chapter 10? Did anyone proofread this book at all before it got published...

"Erimentha decides to avoid Simone for the whole week" - again, this entire book reads like Erimentha is the bully, not the victim lmao

Reactions: 28
Two Chapter 8s and no Chapter 10? Did anyone proofread this book at all before it got published...

"Erimentha decides to avoid Simone for the whole week" - again, this entire book reads like Erimentha is the bully, not the victim lmao
You say that but from what I’ve seen, if Erimentha decided to avoid me for the week I would feel blessed beyond belief 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Also wish she'd stop with the *vintage aesthetic* - her bedroom really doesn't look that vintage? Her bedside table for example is so modern and...not vintage. idk its the attention to detail for me. She needs a rug imo too, looks so cold in there
Ruby’s concept of ‘vintage’ is so confusing to me. It reminds me of when you’re in primary school and all you’ve done in history is a series of disconnected topics (the Victorians, followed by the Greeks, followed by WWII) and you have no real understanding or sense of history and anything that’s older than you is just ‘old’. To Ruby, anything that’s old (or looks old) is ‘vintage’ and therefore automatically works together. I’m all for eclectic but there needs to be some underlying sense.

Reactions: 20
Ruby’s concept of ‘vintage’ is so confusing to me. It reminds me of when you’re in primary school and all you’ve done in history is a series of disconnected topics (the Victorians, followed by the Greeks, followed by WWII) and you have no real understanding or sense of history and anything that’s older than you is just ‘old’. To Ruby, anything that’s old (or looks old) is ‘vintage’ and therefore automatically works together. I’m all for eclectic but there needs to be some underlying sense.
It comes from her need to label everything so she can define herself through different aesthetics, which she doesn’t realize are no substitute for an actual personality. ”Dark acaDAYmia”, ”cottagecore”, ”vintage”. She thinks she can make things she likes fit into these categories just by saying that they do. She doesn’t necessarily have an understanding of any of them, but she needs to rigidly categorize everything, lest there be chaos. She uses the same way of defining certain actions (retyping notes, making endless to-do lists) as ”productive”, even though a lot of her study habits are anything but.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
It comes from her need to label everything so she can define herself through different aesthetics, which she doesn’t realize are no substitute for an actual personality. ”Dark acaDAYmia”, ”cottagecore”, ”vintage”. She thinks she can make things she likes fit into these categories just by saying that they do. She doesn’t necessarily have an understanding of any of them, but she needs to rigidly categorize everything, lest there be chaos. She uses the same way of defining certain actions (retyping notes, making endless to-do lists) as ”productive”, even though a lot of her study habits are anything but.
Side note, I hate hate hate when she describes things as "so aesthetic". Oh my God. You're an English student, Ruby, use your words.

Reactions: 26
she seemed so much more normal in the room tour video? i think it's because she was interacting with her mom or her sister (whoever was filming the video) it reminded me of when she would film with her old roommate

Reactions: 7
I randomly remembered an old "What I got for my birthday" video where she described a toothbrush cup that she got as "soo aesthetic and vintage" and said that she'd never had a toothbrush cup before and she couldn't wait to use it. It was a regular cup with bees printed on it.
My family has put our toothbrushes in a cup (like an actual cup that was old and chipped so my mom started using it as a toothbrush holder) since I was born. It's not that deep, Ruby lmao

• Haha
Can’t remember who was talking about her editing but that god awful filter on most of her videos drives me MAD... it’ll be alright in some clips then closeups on her hands are bright red or the lighting turns harsh and orange on her face, makes the vids look so ugly. Wouldn’t care if she didn’t seem so set on ‘aesthetics’ and video production as some sort of professional undertaking worthy of mention on her LinkedIn. Not sure if she’s done it before but don’t know why she doesn’t partner with a brand like skillshare and use it for some of their editing classes ?? For someone who claims to be so passionate about ‘research’ it feels like a lot of her content is so half assed

Reactions: 15
Aaaand she's back with some questionable 'vintage' fashion and no acknowledgment of what went on before...

I like the first dress, and the cat skirt, but the collar and shorts should be BURNT
I like a lot of Ruby's taste in individual pieces (in my opinion she looks LOVELY in that very first dress, and even though it's still very modest she looks quite mature in it compared to what she normally wears) but she just doesn't really seem to know how to put a full outfit together. I think even some of her more "controversial" items like the boater or those big collars would work really well if she styled them with a little more attention to detail or in a way that feels more intentional - instead it feels like she just throws them on at the end to be more ✨aesthetic✨

With that said - what on EARTH was she thinking with that baggy yellow t-shirt over the (perfectly nice, IMO) black blouse and shorts combo?!?!?! I genuinely have no clue how a supposedly ✨aesthetically✨ minded person can look back at that clip and think "Oh yeah, that doesn't look out of place or totally ruin the outfit at all. It's going in the lookbook!"

• Heart
Reactions: 19
This is completely off topic and not a critique just more something that’s been bothering my brain during my down time, but what the heck is the name of her second dog?!? I know she refers to Lola by name alllll the time but an old blog popped up and she interacted with one of her dogs and just never mentioned their name, then just saying “the dogs are still out” - those are two tiny examples but it’s just something I’ve really noticed while watching her videos so please can someone just put my brain out of it’s weird misery 😂

Reactions: 5
This is completely off topic and not a critique just more something that’s been bothering my brain during my down time, but what the heck is the name of her second dog?!? I know she refers to Lola by name alllll the time but an old blog popped up and she interacted with one of her dogs and just never mentioned their name, then just saying “the dogs are still out” - those are two tiny examples but it’s just something I’ve really noticed while watching her videos so please can someone just put my brain out of it’s weird misery 😂
The other dog is Margot. And Lola was called something else at first - Otto? Was it short for Ottoline, or was she misgendered as a puppy?

I feel like we should have a trivia night sometime, my brain is a veritable hoard of useless Ruby information.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
The other dog is Margot. And Lola was called something else at first - Otto? Was it short for Ottoline, or was she misgendered as a puppy?

I feel like we should have a trivia night sometime, my brain is a veritable hoard of useless Ruby information.
Hahaha you’ve got a point there, I don’t know why but it just became so noticeable to my brain 😂 Thank you! Yes it does ring a bell now, I’m writing an essay about absences in the dialogue so I guess I was just hyper aware to the face that she just didn’t say it :’)

Reactions: 4
I joined in on her book club zoom just to be nosy and all the other girls had prepared notes and talked about there thoughts in detail where Ruby was just rambling and tripping over her words

• Haha
She looks extremely bothered in all her Instagram stories/posts today. The AD/reinvestment criticism must’ve really hit her where it hurts

Reactions: 8
I find it really weird too that despite having pots of money she doesn't really seem to show much interest in buying quality vintage pieces. Most of her 'vintage' look clothes are from Miss Patina aka a factory in China.

Reactions: 18
I find it really weird too that despite having pots of money she doesn't really seem to show much interest in buying quality vintage pieces. Most of her 'vintage' look clothes are from Miss Patina aka a factory in China.
The only vintage clothing she seems to own are her mums hand me downs

Finally built up the courage to watch her new reel..um yeah..she could probably benefit from learning to style a bit better. The items are fine on their own as people have said but it’s the way she puts them together 😫 can’t remember the name of her but there’s this YouTuber who wears vintage and styles clothes amazingly, I’m sure there’s loads of people online who do actually

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.