Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not so sure that Ruby is all sweet and nice to be fair. Like Erimentha is clearly based off of her and she's just insufferable snob who thinks she's the smartest child ever (when she's clearly the opposite). I think Ruby is exactly the same. She's shown some signs of being judgemental against "different" lifestyle choices (like for example describing romance plots as boring and omitting them in a book), she's delusional, closed off and, as it turns out, very uneducated despite believing she's so so smart.
Yep, the more I learn about her and the less likeable she seems. I'm not surprised she didn't have friends as a kid if Erimentha is based on her.

Reactions: 17
I'm not so sure that Ruby is all sweet and nice to be fair. Like Erimentha is clearly based off of her and she's just insufferable snob who thinks she's the smartest child ever (when she's clearly the opposite). I think Ruby is exactly the same. She's shown some signs of being judgemental against "different" lifestyle choices (like for example describing romance plots as boring and omitting them in a book), she's delusional, closed off and, as it turns out, very uneducated despite believing she's so so smart.
To be fair, I'm trying really hard to try and see that she is sweet and nice, but it's looking more and more like she is just like Erimentha. I find it really hard to say well actually I bet she didn't have any friends at school because she acted like this; wouldn't wish that on anyone. But she seems so dismissive of and rude about things she thinks are "inferior" like romance and relationships, or lipgloss and glitter. It is absolutely not an issue if you don't want a relationship, are asexual, are exploring your preferences and yourself in terms of relationships and romance and sex (I'm sure Ruby would tut disapprovingly at the very mention...), but it is absolutely not okay to be dismissive of others who make different choices. You can also be perfectly intelligent and love sparkles and glitter and unicorns! You can enjoy reading glittery pink books or you can enjoy reading hefty classics like Ruby does. Hell, you can enjoy both! She does appear to become more and more closed-minded the more we discuss on this thread...

• Heart
Reactions: 22
In my head the protagonist's name is always replaced with Erimenthol, since reading it in a comment on the twitter-discussion from a few pages back. This helps a lot. So my inner picture not only has this insufferable, snobbisch miniature Ruby in it, but also an old granny sitting in armchair, judging her hard while smoking her menthol-cigarettes. This gives me some comfort admits all the cringe.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
If Ruby had made it to Oxford she would have been eviscerated. For all its faults, tutors there have no time for posh girls who are desperate to be seen as special. I feel sorry for students with imposter syndrome, who are better than they think they are, but I CANNOT abide those who think they are better than they actually are. It definitely seems like Ruby had a fantasy that she was so much smarter and more interesting than everyone else in her school, probably as some kind of coping mechanism for a bunch of unresolved issues. And this fantasy has continued into adulthood, and is being enabled by her parents. I doubt she has the self awareness to see what she's doing, and I can't see her actually being able to work alongside other people cooperatively at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
If Ruby had made it to Oxford she would have been eviscerated. For all its faults, tutors there have no time for posh girls who are desperate to be seen as special. I feel sorry for students with imposter syndrome, who are better than they think they are, but I CANNOT abide those who think they are better than they actually are. It definitely seems like Ruby had a fantasy that she was so much smarter and more interesting than everyone else in her school, probably as some kind of coping mechanism for a bunch of unresolved issues. And this fantasy has continued into adulthood, and is being enabled by her parents. I doubt she has the self awareness to see what she's doing, and I can't see her actually being able to work alongside other people cooperatively at all.
I feel like any kind of university context is not very kind to people who need constant reassurance. The uni system in my country is very impersonal, classes are very big and you don't generally interact at all with your professors one-on-one except when you take the final exam of each course. It's not like in school where your teachers come to know you as an individual and you get frequent praise if you are smart.

Reactions: 12
She's shown some signs of being judgemental against "different" lifestyle choices
I don't think Ruby is as sweet as she pretends to be either. Look at this video from 7:15 to the end and the difference between her fake sweet voice for the camera vs her complaining about her flatmates chatting.

Reactions: 7
Ok so Ruby reminds me of two of my classmates at uni who would CONSTANTLY go to the office hours. Every time we started new semester with a new teacher they would keep coming to their office hours so the teacher "remembers them". Often it would annoy other people so much, because f.ex. we had to come to the office hours to take an exam if we were absent and so on and these people would come in and talk for so long about total bullshit while everyone else was waiting by the door for like an hour. At some point they became so desperate with one of the professors (they wanted an internship at his legal office or sth) that they would sit by his office door for HOURS and come in for "talks". I swear it was the cringiest thing at uni, I still get embarrassed for them even thinking about it. I bet Ruby does the same thing and doesn't get a clue that maybe other people actually HAVE to go to the office hours and she's wasting everyone's time by coming in to try to "get to know the professors". 🤦‍♀️

I don't think Ruby is as sweet as she pretends to be either. Look at this video from 7:15 to the end and the difference between her fake sweet voice for the camera vs her complaining about her flatmates chatting.

Sorry for a double post but she's such a grandma (not only from her behaviour but also looks), chill out a bit ffs.

• Haha
Reactions: 17

Lol why would she leave that in?? I know loud flatmates can be annoying, especially if it seems constant or at antisocial times, but flatmates laughing at 10:30 at night? Girls gonna have an aneurysm

Reactions: 12
Ok so Ruby reminds me of two of my classmates at uni who would CONSTANTLY go to the office hours. Every time we started new semester with a new teacher they would keep coming to their office hours so the teacher "remembers them". Often it would annoy other people so much, because f.ex. we had to come to the office hours to take an exam if we were absent and so on and these people would come in and talk for so long about total bullshit while everyone else was waiting by the door for like an hour. At some point they became so desperate with one of the professors (they wanted an internship at his legal office or sth) that they would sit by his office door for HOURS and come in for "talks". I swear it was the cringiest thing at uni, I still get embarrassed for them even thinking about it. I bet Ruby does the same thing and doesn't get a clue that maybe other people actually HAVE to go to the office hours and she's wasting everyone's time by coming in to try to "get to know the professors". 🤦‍♀️

Sorry for a double post but she's such a grandma (not only from her behaviour but also looks), chill out a bit ffs.
Haha literally all of this! I have to say I was guilty of chatting to my uni tutor for ages, but that is because she was awesome and I was genuinely interested in her research, which fitted with my own thesis research. Plus she brought her cat in to the office sometimes and it was a GOOD cat. I wasn't trying to get in her good books or be "remembered" though. I feel like Ruby just craves "fuss" and attention and loves to be acknowledged and seen as "special". I can relate to this, comes from massive insecurity. She is much younger than me so she has plenty of time to find ways to manage it - but I'm not sure she will ever get to that point.

Also, I have just watched the end of that video - judgy witch much? It is KIND of annoying when your housemates are being loud and you want to sleep, but it just comes with uni life and you don't witch-post about it, you just stick some headphones in and ignore the buggers. Mind you I would go join them 9 times out of 10 - FOMO!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Lol why would she leave that in?? I know loud flatmates can be annoying, especially if it seems constant or at antisocial times, but flatmates laughing at 10:30 at night? Girls gonna have an aneurysm
Living with her must be such a drag. I'm not much of a party animal either but 10:30? You can't expect people to accommodate your every wish.

Reactions: 14

I think this was bought up in thread 1 but she mentioned elsewhere that it wasn’t her housemates, it was people outside her window that she didn’t know

Reactions: 16
Living with her must be such a drag. I'm not much of a party animal either but 10:30? You can't expect people to accommodate your every wish.
But imagine if they complained about her for waltzing around at 6am! She would not be happy!!
She probably expects everyone to be on the same schedule as her

Reactions: 20
But imagine if they complained about her for waltzing around at 6am! She would not be happy!!
She probably expects everyone to be on the same schedule as her
Can you imagine been her flat mate and you've just finished a bar shift at 3am because your working to help finance been at uni then at 7am all you here is the theme song to alton towers been blasted from your flat mates room whilist hearing good morning its Ruby

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 54

omg the way she's complaining about her flatmates at the end like put on your noise-cancelling headphones and call it a day...child.

Reactions: 7
It reminded me of the type of undergarments upper-class children would wear in the 1920s.
I legit own a very old pair of light pajamas which were my great-grandma's in the 40s and they look exactly like that.

Reactions: 4
It reminded me of the type of undergarments upper-class children would wear in the 1920s.
Am I the only one who finds those photos a bit problematic? If you want to share the pyjamas arrange them artistically somewhere but a modelling-type shot makes me uncomfortable. The more Ruby posts stuff like this the more I think both she and her family are utterly clueless.

Reactions: 10
I wonder when she will start making videos like this "English heritage" channel on YoutUbe. They have a series called "the Victorian way". Video titles are "Making soup for the poor" and the actors are dressed Victorian.
I really could imagine her in there...

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.