Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I appreciate how respectful you are with your summaries, but actually wouldn't care to do the same. I mean, I also wrote horrible fancfic back in the days that I would gringe about now (hadn't I deleted all of it), but I am also not promoting it in my profiles and gain money from it? I mean, fair enough, she was young when she wrote it. But she still stands behind it very much the flawed way it is. And I think on this basis it is fair to be judged. But I am impressed that you are still so nice about it. You seem to be a better person than me in this regard. :) Please keep it up, I'm living for it at the moment. :D
I agree completely, the thing is she's actively trying to earn money from this terrible product, so I think she should be held accountable for its quality?
It's different from a teen girl writing fanfiction for fun and posting it on Ao3. She even promoted the book again in one of her most recent videos so it's clear she's not that ashamed of it. Not enough to stop trying to sell it to her viewers at least.

Reactions: 21
Erimentha Parker's to do list
Chapter 4

Overview: Chapter 4 is a brief one so I thought I'd recap it today as I have nothing productive to do. It's generally an interesting insight into Erimentha's relationship with adults - her overfamiliarity with staff at the school and how she expects them to be dazzled by her brilliance despite the fact they have a heavy workload and are responsible for several other young people.

She's on her way to the library and mentions she wrote a pamphlet for a teacher and can also give it to Mr Aldridge as there is a historical element. Mr Aldridge needs to attend a support group, this burden is way beyond his remit. By the end of this chapter, I expect Erimentha is That Child discussed over breaded garlic mushrooms at the Slug and Lettuce on a Friday night staff outing.

Erimentha visits the library with a list of texts. Being a lower school girl, she's only allowed to take two books out at a time. Outrageous! Don't they know who she is? The librarian very reasonably asks if the books she has chosen are the right level for her.

Erimentha puts this witch right in her place, it's the Pretty Woman, "Big mistake, huge!" moment. She tells the librarian she has read A Brief History of Time, making a mental note that she'll be among the first against the wall when the time comes.

It's class time and she decides to do some reading to ignore some of the things her classmates are saying about her in earshot. Mr Aldridge then has the audacity to enter the classroom and make a start. She's delighted at having a desk close to Mr Aldridge so she can converse with him about his Cambodia trip. Will you leave the poor sod alone, this is his private life!

He tells them they need to go to assembly and Erimentha 'stands abruptly' and asks if he's going to register the class?

Excuse me, lady, who put you in charge? If you don't set her right now, Mr Aldridge, this little madam will be responsible for your gastric ulcer. He tells her he has already counted, wishing he had thrown his passport into the Mekong river when he had the chance.

Erimentha briefly talks about how he'd get into trouble with administration for not doing so, but there would be no way of accounting for their bodies should they burn to death in a fire, apparently the most painful way to go. Not gonna lie, Erimentha is beginning to make me nervous, she seems to have thought about this a little too much...

Izzy and Kimberly make some jibes that Erimentha has no friends (this is not fake news) and ask what she's doing for the weekend. She wastes no time haughtily telling them she and a friend are going to be making a working model volcano and will have a much more enjoyable and productive time than them.

Again, I check who is bullying who here. Erimentha believes she's superior to her peers and is entitled to Erimenthsplain to her teachers how to do their jobs. Instead of any introspection into her behaviour over the weekend and maybe working on being a bit more humble, she decides to look up the definition of bullying to give the other's behaviour a label.

----------
Disclaimer: when I was in Year 7, weekends would be spent buying those little bath pearls from the Body Shop, it was the height of cool. I'm not going to yuck anyone else's yum, whatever floats your boat, or erupts your volcano, this isn't meant to be a mean interpretation of the book.
I am no native speaker, so I wanted to ask if anybody could explain to me what is meant with "register a class". In German schools in the first lesson of the day the teacher looks if everybody is there and ticks the names off in the "class book". Which has to be brought outside if the fire alarm rings. Is that what Ruby means here?

Reactions: 12
I am no native speaker, so I wanted to ask if anybody could explain to me what is meant with "register a class". In German schools in the first lesson of the day the teacher looks if everybody is there and ticks the names off in the "class book". Which has to be brought outside if the fire alarm rings. Is that what Ruby means here?
Yes 😀

Reactions: 3
I agree completely, the thing is she's actively trying to earn money from this terrible product, so I think she should be held accountable for its quality?
It's different from a teen girl writing fanfiction for fun and posting it on Ao3. She even promoted the book again in one of her most recent videos so it's clear she's not that ashamed of it. Not enough to stop trying to sell it to her viewers at least.
Agreed. I’m sure lots of us probs wrote rubbish fanfic as teens, it’s pretty common. But if somebody publishes a book (whether self publishing or professionally), they surely have to accept they’re going to receive criticism, that’s part of being a writer. Plus, the content is legitimately problematic, it’s not like we’re taking the piss out of stuff that’s any good, we’re raising perfectly reasonable questions about whether Ruby genuinely considers Erimentha‘s behaviour to be healthy or acceptable.

Reactions: 20
I was watching one of her Hermione videos and she says she wishes Hermione hadn’t ended up with anyone. So I do think she probably is just not interested in relationships (I can relate to her on that!). The way she rolls her eyes about Ron though 😂

I hate that I knew exactly what quote she would say was her favourite before she said it. I’m surprised she wanted hermione to have a job, I thought Ruby preferred the era when women were married off young and couldn’t vote?

Also you lot are making me belly laugh after a stressful week, god I love this forum so much

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Disclaimer: when I was in Year 7, weekends would be spent buying those little bath pearls from the Body Shop, it was the height of cool. I'm not going to yuck anyone else's yum, whatever floats your boat, or erupts your volcano, this isn't meant to be a mean interpretation of the book.
This literally has me howling 🤣🤣 you are a genius! This is all I have to say...

• Heart
Reactions: 7
It’s been a while since I commented on the thread... can someone fill me in about the dad tracking her (stated in the recap) I checked out after her distasteful Christmas videos and now I need to catch up 😭

Reactions: 1
It’s been a while since I commented on the thread... can someone fill me in about the dad tracking her (stated in the recap) I checked out after her distasteful Christmas videos and now I need to catch up 😭
Basically in a recent vlog she mentioned that when she goes on walks in the morning in the countryside her dad tracks her phone to know her location

The book club seems so disorganised. Ruby drops in every now and again to keep up appearances but doesn't actually do any of the organising or moderating? She said almost a month ago that she would set up a group chat to coordinate the zoom meetings but hasn't. She'd be better off just handing it over to the admin.
What a mess. Prides herself on being an English Lit undergrad yet can’t even organise a book club... It’s like the admin are ghost writers.. sorting it out on Ruby’s behalf and under her “brand”. Just pure embarrassing.

Reactions: 12
(Looong time lurker here)
The hilarious review of Ruby's book made me dig mine out and re read it. The snobbishness of Erimentha is unbearable o_O I've complied some of my favourite extracts that are too good to not share. It's obvious Ruby has a fantasy of being some kind of child prodigy - it really does read like fan fiction of herself. I think she is trying to live out this fantasy in her real life and trying to avoid growing up and realising she is of average intelligence.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 36
The hilarious review of Ruby's book made me dig mine out and re read it. The snobbishness of Erimentha is unbearable o_O I've complied some of my favourite extracts that are too good to not share. It's obvious Ruby has a fantasy of being some kind of child prodigy - it really does read like fan fiction of herself. I think she is trying to live out this fantasy in her real life and trying to avoid growing up and realising she is of average intelligence.
“Perhaps this shibboleth” please put the thesaurus away Ruby. I beg you

• Haha
Also a long time lurker here - I work in libraries and honestly you’re a terrible person if you’re disparaging books purely because they’re teen pink sparkly books. If you’re reading Ruby’s book and also enjoy books like this, this could really affect you. I think it’s a form of mild internalised misogyny that just because something is pink and aimed at young girls it must be bad and not worth your time, you stuck up snob (mostly referring to Erimentha here)

• Heart
Reactions: 46
The “I don’t get hungry” reads sorta worryingly given our current concerns about a potential ED. Also, i wish someone would tell her it’s okay to fantasise knowing it’s not real. That probably sounds odd, but pretty much everyone has fantasies - I regularly fantasise that I’m a genius who never struggles with work and always brings up the most intelligent contributions in class, and I know a lot of ppl at uni who do basically the same. None of us believes it, it’s just a fun thing to imagine for a while as I prove the total opposite is true while working 😂 Most of us are capable of laughing at these sorts of fantasies because we know that they’re actually ridiculous. It’s totally okay for her to imagine all these things, but she has to acknowledge that it’s not real, and is just a nice form of escapism.

Also a long time lurker here - I work in libraries and honestly you’re a terrible person if you’re disparaging books purely because they’re teen pink sparkly books. If you’re reading Ruby’s book and also enjoy books like this, this could really affect you. I think it’s a form of mild internalised misogyny that just because something is pink and aimed at young girls it must be bad and not worth your time, you stuck up snob (mostly referring to Erimentha here)
Yes!! If you read, you read, it doesn’t matter what you read, if you enjoy it then that’s awesome! There’s a tendency amongst ppl who read a lot of “literary fiction” (I violently hate that phrase), to think that anyone who isn’t constantly reading classics or the last Booker prize winner isn’t a “proper” reader. And the internalised misogyny definitely reads in the same way as the bit someone posted a while back where Erimentha was looking down on girls for liking makeup, with the implication being that they must be less intelligent than her. There’s such a damaging perception now that you have to reject stereotypically “girly” things in order to be perceived as a serious, intellectual woman. It’s very much part of the “not like other girls” trend.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Omg please more this is too funny

Reactions: 8
Yes!! If you read, you read, it doesn’t matter what you read, if you enjoy it then that’s awesome! There’s a tendency amongst ppl who read a lot of “literary fiction” (I violently hate that phrase), to think that anyone who isn’t constantly reading classics or the last Booker prize winner isn’t a “proper” reader. And the internalised misogyny definitely reads in the same way as the bit someone posted a while back where Erimentha was looking down on girls for liking makeup, with the implication being that they must be less intelligent than her. There’s such a damaging perception now that you have to reject stereotypically “girly” things in order to be perceived as a serious, intellectual woman. It’s very much part of the “not like other girls” trend.
Seriously, I really hope Ruby has grown out of this mindset. People are multi-dimensional and layered, you know? Shrek, onions and all that. You are allowed to like different things.

Reactions: 18
Oh she really is insufferable isn't she. I do still think Ruby is sweet and means no harm, but I bet she was exactly like Erimentha in school, an absolute nightmare. I was a pretty decent kid at school and worked fairly hard, but I found the Erimenthas of the world (there is one in EVERY CLASS) unspeakably irritating. Still do, and I teach them now :rolleyes: You can be intelligent and high achieving without being insufferable! I'm trying really hard not to slate Ruby because, despite my love of gossip sites, I actually don't want to be mean! But there seems to be a picture building of her here which shows she thinks she's superior to "other girls" and that has always really riled me. I'm not even convinced she's as smart as she likes to seem in her videos...

• Heart
Reactions: 17
He tells her he has already counted, wishing he had thrown his passport into the Mekong river when he had the chance
Tears coming from my eyes at this 😂 😂😭Cannot wait for the rest of your reviews, if I could send you a bottle of wine for this I would 🙏

Erimentha comes off as the witch of the class, don't know where she got the idea that she was the one being bullied omg

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I'm not so sure that Ruby is all sweet and nice to be fair. Like Erimentha is clearly based off of her and she's just insufferable snob who thinks she's the smartest child ever (when she's clearly the opposite). I think Ruby is exactly the same. She's shown some signs of being judgemental against "different" lifestyle choices (like for example describing romance plots as boring and omitting them in a book), she's delusional, closed off and, as it turns out, very uneducated despite believing she's so so smart.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.