Ruby Granger #36 Pumpkin Bread Activity

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
he had better grades
I remember he got the 3 A* for A level, easily beating Ruby despite doing far less work, but I didn't know he also got a better first at uni. That's a bit embarrassing in light of how Ruby did little other than study. I do wish she'd acknowledge the problems in her methods rather than keep brainwashing her followers about 11 hour study days...

Reactions: 16
I remember he got the 3 A* for A level, easily beating Ruby despite doing far less work, but I didn't know he also got a better first at uni. That's a bit embarrassing in light of how Ruby did little other than study. I do wish she'd acknowledge the problems in her methods rather than keep brainwashing her followers about 11 hour study days...
Yeah, he got the highest grades possible at A level and a First for his degree (I think Ruby's individual module grades were slightly higher, but not by much) but Oxford were still like "Nahhh, we're good, please stop applying".

I think they both have the same problems where Oxford's concerned. Neither of them actually wanted to study there or put any thought into what the uni could actually offer them that they couldn't get elsewhere, they just wanted to go to the "best" uni because they believed they were entitled to it.

It sounds like that shone through in Jack's application - he was crying about how he was a business owner (nope) and an author (nope) and a content creator (eh) and it still wasn't good enough, and considering that's the stuff he chose to highlight, it just shines a light on how entitled he is and how little thought he'd put into why he wanted to go to uni again.

I think Ruby will hit the same barrier, because she has no interest in studying, is terrible at faking it and has nothing going on beyond her YouTube content, which I doubt will impress anyone.

Reactions: 21
I think they both have the same problems where Oxford's concerned. Neither of them actually wanted to study there or put any thought into what the uni could actually offer them that they couldn't get elsewhere, they just wanted to go to the "best" uni because they believed they were entitled to it.

It sounds like that shone through in Jack's application - he was crying about how he was a business owner (nope) and an author (nope) and a content creator (eh) and it still wasn't good enough, and considering that's the stuff he chose to highlight, it just shines a light on how entitled he is and how little thought he'd put into why he wanted to go to uni again.
I suspect Ruby might be a little better at playing the game than Jack. I think that whole Emily Dickinson museum trip to the US was purely set up as content for her course application in an aim to tick the "passion" box.

Of course, if she referenced Erimentha like she must have in her first application, then game over.

• Wow
Reactions: 26
If you want an example of how things are, take a look at influencer Grace Beverley, she failed to get into Oxford for PPE (I think) then reapplied the next year for music at a different college where the guy in charge of admissions was someone who had previously taught her at the junior Royal College of Music 🙃.
It’s also way easier to get into Oxbridge for a masters than it is to get in at undergrad level.
I'd never heard of her, just looked at her channel seems like some sort of corporate 'guru' I take it she didn't continue with the oxbridge music...

Reactions: 5
I suspect Ruby might be a little better at playing the game than Jack. I think that whole Emily Dickinson museum trip to the US was purely set up as content for her course application in an aim to tick the "passion" box.

Of course, if she referenced Erimentha like she must have in her first application, then game over.
But what good did that trip do? I mean, she received a private tour, gave them ideas for their social media, which I doubt they changed at all, and sat at a desk in Emily's room to write. How does this make an impression of any kind? Is she planning to do her Masters on something related to American authors? Because she didn't tour The Olde Manse, Emerson's House or Longfellow's estate. I have never heard her mention reading the works of Wharton, Thoreau, Emerson, Willa Cather, and so many others. Has she ever read any of Poe's stories, or just The Raven? There is so much more to him than that one poem. Has she taken the time to study the Transcendentalists? She completely wasted this year off. I mean, Emily Dickinson had nothing to do with children's literature. So I continue to see a lack of focus and expertise in any literary discipline. She is all over the place and literally nowhere. Regardless of whether she gets in or not, she still hasn't much to show for it and hasn't prepared herself very well. An entire year off could have led her to amazing studies, but instead she is part-timing it at a local school teaching young kids, which she isn't even into, failed in her writing books, which we all expected, and living at home with Mommy and Daddy, reading children's books, dressing up and doing outfits of the day. Wow. Great Oxford material.

Reactions: 11

Definitely agree that she looks better on paper than Jack. Not only does she have that collab with the Emily Dickinson Museum, she also works part time in the English department at a school, she did a summer internship at Exeter researching a poet’s letters, and I could be wrong but hasn’t she also had some articles published?

It doesn’t seem very impressive to us, because we know Ruby and know she sits at home doing nothing 99% of the time. But that’s actually quite a lot of English-related experience for someone a only year out of undergrad to have. Most people don’t get the chance to do any unpaid internships because they cant afford it or don’t have the connections, and those who do take on voluntary work usually have to juggle it with working full time. Quite a few incoming students won’t have any non-uni related experience at all.

Oxford definitely won’t care that Ruby is a content creator who sits on her ass all day (so hopefully she didn’t brag about that), just like they wouldn’t care if another applicant had to stack shelves at Tesco for 40hrs a week to support themselves. That type of information is irrelevant to them. All that matters is your academics, and your application might be helped and made more interesting by having a few relevant side projects. Oxford students aren’t all geniuses with huge CVs. Especially not at masters level. It really is just another university (albeit a prestigious one).

Reactions: 21
I wonder if she told Oxford that she runs a local café a few afternoons a week. Tasks include writing up the menu on a chalkboard and preparing hot beverages. Still learning to froth milk.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
I agree that Ruby is more likely to get into Oxford than the other studytubers. I imagine that she will have researched a lot about the ressources they have to offer, making Oxford a more relevant choice. To be honest, I sort of get her fixation on Oxford and if she does keep trying, well done to her for persevering. She doesn't live in the real world and I really don't think that going to Oxford will help her with that. But if her aim is to stay in a bubble then she is doing a good job of it.

Reactions: 8
I agree that Ruby is more likely to get into Oxford than the other studytubers. I imagine that she will have researched a lot about the ressources they have to offer, making Oxford a more relevant choice. To be honest, I sort of get her fixation on Oxford and if she does keep trying, well done to her for persevering. She doesn't live in the real world and I really don't think that going to Oxford will help her with that. But if her aim is to stay in a bubble then she is doing a good job of it.
In my opinion, it is her fixation on Oxford that may be the cause of them rejecting her for a third time. Her fixation is based on aesthetics and LARPing thru the halls as Hermione at Hogwarts. I imagine that the intake staff may feel concerned that she tends to crack under pressure quite easily, is not in touch with reality and has EXTREMELY unhealthy study habits. Her toxic productivity mindset is out there for all the world to see.

Reactions: 7
Yeah I’m not sure if they know how many times she’s applied? As there’s different tutors interviewing and reviewing applications every time. She probs should have tried for Cambridge :)

Reactions: 1
Yeah I’m not sure if they know how many times she’s applied? As there’s different tutors interviewing and reviewing applications every time. She probs should have tried for Cambridge :)
There's the university level and the college level. Mansfield College is a different one from the one she tried last time (Oriel, I believe). So she could have had a few different reviewers. Plus, staff change at Oxbridge too.

In my opinion, it is her fixation on Oxford that may be the cause of them rejecting her for a third time. Her fixation is based on aesthetics and LARPing thru the halls as Hermione at Hogwarts. I imagine that the intake staff may feel concerned that she tends to crack under pressure quite easily, is not in touch with reality and has EXTREMELY unhealthy study habits. Her toxic productivity mindset is out there for all the world to see.
I think that sort of thing weighs in the balance much more for undergraduates. By the time you go for your Master’s, you’re expected to be an adult who can manage their time and mental health on a much higher base level (not to say grad school isn’t very stressful and burnout is pretty common, but generally it won’t be from the stress of doing 14 hours of busywork per day and being sad you can’t be with mummy every day). You get accepted or rejected on academic merit, not so much on whether they think you can sit down and do the work - it’s expected you will.
---
Little miss sustainable is going skiing with mummy and daddy, and has ordered two pairs of ski goggles, intending to return one pair 🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
hi guys kinda new to her, if she didn't put get age in her description I would've guessed she was a 14 year old

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Erimentha Parker Chapter 11:

Plot -

- Ruby is lonely because she is not speaking to her friend Simone (because she is concerned Simone will suggest she reports the bullies again) so she starts having lunch break in the library
- Ruby finds a year 5 girl in the library and spends a page of the book basically describing how small and sad the girl looks
- Miss Soloman decides to go against her actual lesson plan so Ruby can present her PowerPoint on hurricanes
- Kimberly asks Ruby if she would ever go look for a hurricane, Ruby says no as you can die and Kimberly says that's a shame
- The bullies throw some paper at Ruby which she finds immature
- Ruby asks to go get a drink of water, Miss Solomon abandons her class to come check on her and gets her an orange from the staff room
- When she gets back to class Ruby realises her parker pen has leaked all over her worksheets and her pencil case. She investigates and finds that someone cut her ink cartridge in half. When Miss Soloman returns the bullies tell the teacher Ruby was trying to show off by doing a trick with her pen and it exploded
- Miss Solomon doesn't believe Ruby was messing around because she points out Ruby told off another student earlier for throwing her pen around
- Ruby is too upset and ashamed to eat the orange Miss Solomon gave her

Quotes -
- "Kimberley leans over and taps me on the forearm. Her fingers are cold and so her circulation is probably not very good. Maybe she doesn't get enough exercise" (I'm sorry but this quote killed me)
- "I try to concentrate on my worksheet but her comment is not eroding quite so quickly as the Holderness Coastline"
- "They throw little pieces of scrunched up paper my way, scattering my desk surface with snowflakes, each one torn of hastily and irregular. I see little raindrops of saliva, indebted with pathogens, land amongst them as they giggle"
- "I wash my hands well and turn off the tap with my sleeve, having read about just how many germs can be found on the handle"
- "True to my word, I take a long drink from the water fountain, feeling the cold water against and down the back of my throat. My stomach feels full after a few seconds and I wonder just how much water it takes to kill a person. I make myself a note on my Post-it pad to find out"
- "I go to say something but I feel my voice breaking. It catches in the back of my throat and pulls against my epiglottis"

• Haha
Reactions: 27

Plot -

- Ruby is lonely because she is not speaking to her friend Simone (because she is concerned Simone will suggest she reports the bullies again) so she starts having lunch break in the library
- Ruby finds a year 5 girl in the library and spends a page of the book basically describing how small and sad the girl looks
- Miss Soloman decides to go against her actual lesson plan so Ruby can present her PowerPoint on hurricanes
- Kimberly asks Ruby if she would ever go look for a hurricane, Ruby says no as you can die and Kimberly says that's a shame
- Ruby asks to go get a drink of water, Miss Solomon abandons her class to come check on her and gets her an orange from the staff room
- When she gets back to class Ruby realises her parker pen has leaked all over her worksheets and her pencil case. She investigates and finds that someone cut her ink cartridge in half. When Miss Soloman returns the bullies tell the teacher Ruby was trying to show off by doing a trick with her pen and it exploded
- Miss Solomon doesn't believe Ruby was messing around because she points out Ruby told off another student earlier for throwing her pen around

Quotes -
- "Kimberley leans over and taps me on the forearm. Her fingers are cold and so her circulation is probably not very good. Maybe she doesn't get enough exercise" (I'm sorry but this quote killed me)
- "I try to concentrate on my worksheet but her comment is not eroding quite so quickly as the Holderness Coastline"
- "They throw little pieces of scrunched up paper my way, scattering my desk surface with snowflakes, each one torn of hastily and irregular. I see little raindrops of saliva, indebted with pathogens, land amongst them as they giggle"
- "I wash my hands well and turn off the tap with my sleeve, having read about just how many germs can be found on the handle"
- "True to my word, I take a long drink from the water fountain, feeling the cold water against and down the back of my throat. My stomach feels full after a few seconds and I wonder just how much water it takes to kill a person. I make myself a note on my Post-it pad to find out"
- "I go to say something but I feel my voice breaking. It catches in the back of my throat and pulls against my epiglottis"
Indebted with pathogens 💀

• Haha
Reactions: 18
duck me, this reads like The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole

• Haha
Reactions: 11

Plot -

Quotes -
Won’t touch the tap with her bare hand but will happily drink out of a communal water fountain? 🤨 I know kids who used to drink out of those by putting their whole entire mouths over the tap.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Kimberley leans over and taps me on the forearm. Her fingers are cold and so her circulation is probably not very good. Maybe she doesn't get enough exercise
Is this how Ruby's thought process works? Is she just walking around constantly judging everyone she meets and jumping to conclusions about them based on the tiniest interaction?
---
True to my word, I take a long drink from the water fountain, feeling the cold water against and down the back of my throat. My stomach feels full after a few seconds and I wonder just how much water it takes to kill a person.
The detailed descriptions of everything (the water, the saliva, etc) are making my skin crawl. Also this feels like an ED thing.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.