Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Pronunciation changes. Humans are always unconsciously looking for easier ways to say combinations of syllables. Word endings may drop off; vowels may change, etc.

The eccentricities of English spelling show how words would have been pronounced very differently. The "correct" way to pronounce a word now would have once been seen as "incorrect". The same way changes in grammar or new turns of phrases are sneered at, resisted, then become standard, then are replaced as the cycle begins again.

We are encouraged to learn a standard pronunciation and grammar to help us communicate clearly to as many people as possible. But there is no moral superiority to be found in that standard, nor inferiority in deviations. Erimentha and presumably Ruby disagree, which is why it can be funny sometimes when Ruby makes "mistakes".

Will get off soapbox now. And obviously this doesn't apply to people's names, which should always be pronounced as they themselves do.

Reactions: 13
]

To answer your question in short, yes I do. I say tor-tee-ya not -tor-til-lah, jalapeño not jah-la-peno. Why? Because that's how it's pronounced correctly. And asking if you pronounce Francis the same way you pronounce François is a silly question. Francis is an English name, François a French name. You don't pronounce Frances the same way you pronounce François😅
Those aren’t the questions I asked, but okay. You‘re obviously unable to defend what you said so I’m not going to labour the point any more

Reactions: 5
To me the whole pronunciation debate just sounds like those sterile discussions I see sometimes online about whether American English is inferior to British English.
It doesn't matter. Like, at all lol. There isn't even anything to discuss about it really. They're just different and neither is better than the other. And the same goes for this pronunciation thing. Good for you if you roll your r's when pronouncing tortilla in English. There's no reason to be a snob if other people don't do it tho because it's the more natural thing to do and it doesn't affect communication at all

• Heart
Reactions: 22
]

To answer your question in short, yes I do. I say tor-tee-ya not -tor-til-lah, jalapeño not jah-la-peno. Why? Because that's how it's pronounced correctly. And asking if you pronounce Francis the same way you pronounce François is a silly question. Francis is an English name, François a French name. You don't pronounce Frances the same way you pronounce François😅
Ur annoying lol, plz talk about Ruby or go find a thread full of other prescriptivists so u can talk about how good and correct and perfect you are to people who actually care! Thanks!

Those aren’t the questions I asked, but okay. You‘re obviously unable to defend what you said so I’m not going to labour the point any more
It is a question that was asked so I answered. Not my fault you are incapable of understanding my simple and easy-to-understand reply. Anyway, moving on 😘

Ur annoying lol, plz talk about Ruby or go find a thread full of other prescriptivists so u can talk about how good and correct and perfect you are to people who actually care! Thanks!
Right.. I'm the one who cares and not the many people asking me stupid questions and making a huge deal out of my opinion? I never claimed to be perfect, girl. I just said how I pronounce words and how I think they should be pronounced to show respect towards the language they originated from. Show me where I said I was perfect? Lmao.

Magnificent! Add several gifted (but undeclared) brooches and this is truly an outfit to be worn 5 days a week!
Perfect. Maybe you could attach the brooches with some washi tape? Or just add the tape chaotically until you look like an Ancient Egyptian mummy because that would be VARY historical and intellACKtual.

Chickens are the one pure wholesome thing in this world
Also this. ❤😆 Not Ruby-related but it made me lol. Got to love wholesome chickens.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I'm really sad that I missed the whole annoying french accent debate because I would have been so there for it. I do want to give my opinion but I think at this point it streched way too far and it's irrelevant to the trend but I am studying linguistic and this specific whole pronounciation and words and "correct" language debate with french is a very important subject to my heart so please ignore this if you don't care.

French is VERY elitist. Both historically and in politics nowadays. There is something, the "Academy of the french language", which like isn't a thing with any other language as far as I'm aware of. They are a bunch of old, rich white men who decide what should and what shouldn't be part of the french language. They recently, for example, banned all english gaming related words from you know "official french" or whatever (I'm pretty sure it was the gaming related words I'm too lazy to check).
Because of them there's reforms every now and then, they just like... Change the rules of the language. Like a whole bunch of them. I was begining high school last time it happened, teachers had to go listen to seminars about it and then students were never taught what the new rules were you just had to like, learn it by yourself ig. And a lot of them are really dumb and arbitrary. Also french has massive germanic influences and it's very stupid to not acknowledge that and stop any new english influence that is happening organically. Anyways.
So yeah, that's for the now. One very important fact is that international and official written french is Paris french. If you hear it on tv or if you learn it in school, it will be the Paris french. Because of those elitists white guys who think they are superior to everyone.
Fact is, for centuries, french has been spoken in many, many countries, mainly because of colonisation. It's spoken in Haiti, Algeria, the Ivory Coast, Tunisia, Senegal, Belgium, Switzerland, Canada... And as for all languages, there are dialects. You can't escape the dialect, whoever you are, whatever you speak, unless you live in like a city and the only people speaking your language in the world are the population of this city. Everyone is speaking a dialect that's how language works, it evolves and develop differently in different areas.
So you know, so is the case with metropolitean France. The thing is, their dialect is the one we find in dictionaries and the one taught in school and shown in movies and blablabla. Which give some french people (I love french people btw but Parisians have to be the most universally hated demographic on the planet and there's reasons for that) a HUGE sense of superiority. I feel very free to speak about that because I experience it pretty much everyday, I live in Montreal and french people will come live here and make the rent go up like crazy because it's still way cheaper than in their hometown and tit talk and make fun of our culture and the way we talk like nonstop. I've heard multiple times that my accent is gross, ugly, not classy, the list goes on...
A japanese lady at my job high fived me bc I asked her "how are you" in japanese. People from France will correct me about the way I speak my native language.
Anyways.
Something that doesn't help, Ig, is that the country is called "France" and the language "french". But there are a variety of dialects spoken within France too. Funnily enough, at some point in history, old white men decided that Francient (ancestor of french as you probably guessed) was just going to be spoken like... Everywhere in France. It actually took centuries to catch on. Brittons were speaking brittonic (and also suffering greatly from oppression from the frenchies, the word "plouc" is like a slur invented for them lmao), southern France was speaking mainly occitan and provençal I believe, and yeah it was all progressively erased. That's why they have those massive accents in different regions of France. Like for real, there's a part of Quebec, they literally removed a letter from their speech at some point to deny the King, they have a really big accent, there's like a thousand kms between Montreal and there and the difference is still less shocking then between southern France and Paris, and France is almost three times smaller than Quebec.
It's because the "everyone in France speaks french" is fairly recent. And "correct" french is spoken by a very small minority of french speakers who like to think they are the only french speakers in the whole world.

I wanna say tho, again as someone in linguistics, for anyone here who has faced criticism because of the way they speak a foreign language.

1. You're doing great. If you're getting understood, that's the important part, the accent doesn't matter at all and putting too much pressure on yourself about it will slow you down a lot.
2. If you're not getting understood... You'll get there eventually. And anyone making you feel bad about it is a huge asshole who probably never had to learn a language themselves.
3. Frenchies are overcritical and also, objectively, so fuckin bad at learning languages. Like so bad. Their accent is massive, and like, never goes away, no matter how good they get at the language. I think I saw that girl write that she says foreign words correctly and no you don't. Anyone who has ever heard a french person speak a foreign language knows you don't. But that's ok. Because it really, really doesn't matter.

We're here to make fun of Ruby. Not sound like her ;).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Show me where I said I was perfect? Lmao.
No lol find it urself in the subtext of all ur replies :)

Anyway - ruby saying it has "cooled down" and wearing a turtleneck and black tights in her latest tiktok is... Interesting considering it's still 24 ish degrees where she lives 🥴

Reactions: 5
Anyway - ruby saying it has "cooled down" and wearing a turtleneck and black tights in her latest tiktok is... Interesting considering it's still 24 ish degrees where she lives 🥴
She’s being completely ridiculous and it makes me angry af. Where I live, today is considered a “cooler day” because maybe, just maybe, it could rain a bit after weeks and weeks of heat and drought. The temperature? Still 27, 28 degrees and it’s terribly humid. I’m an autumn lover and I want this summer to be finally over so badly, but what Ruby does is sheer madness. This gAp YeAr could break her, the lack of input from outside (intellectual, interpersonal and social) is already having a visibly bad impact on her and her mental health.

Reactions: 9
The pronunciation discourse must end I can't take it anymore
I know. I can’t believe we’ve done like 5 bleeping pages arguing with someone who is blatantly trolling over the pronunciation of bleeping ambience. Someone get Ruby to do something controversial!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 19
She’s being completely ridiculous and it makes me angry af. Where I live, today is considered a “cooler day” because maybe, just maybe, it could rain a bit after weeks and weeks of heat and drought. The temperature? Still 27, 28 degrees and it’s terribly humid. I’m an autumn lover and I want this summer to be finally over so badly, but what Ruby does is sheer madness. This gAp YeAr could break her, the lack of input from outside (intellectual, interpersonal and social) is already having a visibly bad impact on her and her mental health.
Exactly its still mid August, Thames Water have announced a hosepipe ban from next week because of the lack of rainfall and she is parading around like its a crisp October morning. She is going to give herself heatstroke just for the aesthetic

I know we give her a lot of tit for "writing is my identity" and stuff. But I'm reading Atomic Habits, and it claims that first you internalize that something you want to achieve is your identity, and then you begin acting like someone who does that.

I wonder if this is one of the books she's actually read?

Reactions: 8
I know we give her a lot of tit for "writing is my identity" and stuff. But I'm reading Atomic Habits, and it claims that first you internalize that something you want to achieve is your identity, and then you begin acting like someone who does that.

How do you act like someone who vacuums their home regularly? Asking for a friend

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Recreating famous paintings is what some of us did in quarantine when all of a sudden we had a lot of free time on our hands. I can't believe she'll spend her gap year cosplaying Victorian models, posting cringey, unedited poetry on her Instagram, and pretending to repurpose furniture she used as a child.

Absolutely howling at the fact that she gave Paradise Regained four stars.

"The story is so ephemeral, the pacing is so circuitous, but I found Milton's message to be rather parenthetical. I would prefer if the character of the Devil would be applicable in a modern context."

-Ruby Granger's upcoming Goodreads review, probably

• Haha
Reactions: 19

I had a funny thought about that. So disclaimer, this is not me insinuating that Ruby has autism or trying to diagnose her at all, it just so happens to be something I personally do that is linked to my autism and yeah there's similarities.
Like most autistic people I have special interests. And sometimes, I will get into a tv show or an artist or something and like, learn everything about it, read articles, wikis, interviews, learn about lore, take part of the fandom... Without consuming the media itself. Like the obsession is more about the concept of the thing than the thing. Anyone else does that ?
Anyway, it's like Ruby does that with school and studying and writing and stuff. Like she's absolutely obsessed with the estethic she is giving herself, except, you can't like, take notes about studying right ? So she does those endless routine videos as a way to "take notes" and enjoy the concept of studying without like... Doing it right. I feel like she did the same with her eating disorder and that's how she ended up actually getting sick.
Am I clear ? I feel like it makes more sense in my head but it's like her videos about studying are the same as a fan edit from someone who has never actually seen the tv show.

I had a funny thought about that. So disclaimer, this is not me insinuating that Ruby has autism or trying to diagnose her at all, it just so happens to be something I personally do that is linked to my autism and yeah there's similarities.
Like most autistic people I have special interests. And sometimes, I will get into a tv show or an artist or something and like, learn everything about it, read articles, wikis, interviews, learn about lore, take part of the fandom... Without consuming the media itself. Like the obsession is more about the concept of the thing than the thing. Anyone else does that ?
Anyway, it's like Ruby does that with school and studying and writing and stuff. Like she's absolutely obsessed with the estethic she is giving herself, except, you can't like, take notes about studying right ? So she does those endless routine videos as a way to "take notes" and enjoy the concept of studying without like... Doing it right. I feel like she did the same with her eating disorder and that's how she ended up actually getting sick.
Am I clear ? I feel like it makes more sense in my head but it's like her videos about studying are the same as a fan edit from someone who has never actually seen the tv show.
I experience this too and for me it was also about fitting in or trying to make myself into something I wasn’t. In high school she WAS the studious bookworm smart girl Hermione person, but that all died when she left school. She couldn’t cope with the (relative) independence of thought in uni and the lack of individual praise, as well as the fact she was no longer the smart kid so she tried to force the persona instead. I used to do this but in a different way, for me it was about fitting in with the edgy crowd lol and that’s not me at all. It only makes you seriously unhappy.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.