Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What might help is that non-native speakers of English learn the language initially (primarily) in its written form, by reading text books and writing in English. Native speakers start learning their language phonetically, by emulating what they hear. So Ruby might just write down the 'sound' of a word, whereas non-natives might have read or written that word before.
Sure, Ruby uses words that you'd encounter in a written form first, because they are more 'advanced', but she gets very simple words wrong too.
Such as ”polka-dot” and ”academia”.

Reactions: 5
What might help is that non-native speakers of English learn the language initially (primarily) in its written form, by reading text books and writing in English. Native speakers start learning their language phonetically, by emulating what they hear. So Ruby might just write down the 'sound' of a word, whereas non-natives might have read or written that word before.
Sure, Ruby uses words that you'd encounter in a written form first, because they are more 'advanced', but she gets very simple words wrong too.
On the other hand, there's probably many words which Ruby has only read but never heard in real life, a) because she doesn't interact enough with peers to be able to tell apart all the different kinds of social contexts and b) because she actively tries to sound as intelligent and eloquent as possible, in EVERY GODDAMN situation.

Reactions: 10
On the other hand, there's probably many words which Ruby has only read but never heard in real life, a) because she doesn't interact enough with peers to be able to tell apart all the different kinds of social contexts and b) because she actively tries to sound as intelligent and eloquent as possible, in EVERY GODDAMN situation.
She should really try one of those online dictionaries that have a pronunciation function. You can then hear what the word sounds like. Lifesaver.

Reactions: 12
It looks terrible, but I guess at least she didn't wear it out in public or anything.

View attachment 1455633

Oh.

Welp.

She wore this to a day at the beach.

She ditched the Chelsea boots for school shoes and I don't know if it makes it better or worse.

Also RIP that treasured sweater of her mum's. It survived 30 years after her mum wore it the day she met Ruby's dad, and guaranteed it won't survive 48 hours with Ruby considering how she treats all her possessions. But at least she has a new comfort blanket for the 5 minutes a month she's away from mummy and daddy.
Imagine all the normal people wearing swimsuits and dresses seeing this girl at the beach wearing a thick jumper, long pants and shoes.😳

I was reading about Ruby's eating habits and the comments made in the last post, and it made me think of a video that she did years ago but I can't find it or it was removed. It was a video that she made before she went off to university and it was her making food plans for what to eat as she had just become a vegan and she was making a spreadsheet of things like nutrients and vitamins in the foods so she didn't become deficient in anything. I was quite interested in the video as I liked Ruby a lot and I was just becoming vegan, and I remember that there were a few comments that were warning her not to become too obsessive about it as it could lead to disordered eating and she was telling people that she was just doing it to make sure she got what she needed. I ended up going on youtube to find the video and found her old videos and I find the contrast between her now and when she started university to be very jarring, especially in her face and she looks much older than she is.

I also found her reviewing a book on GoodReads about the bible and eating disorders that she was writing an essay on in 2018 and it's just a bizarre topic to write an essay on.
This is one of many reasons why I love this website. People see what I've been seeing in the last few years in regards to her figure. Ruby's very obvious weight-loss.. The one time I voiced my concerns on one of her videos, I got attacked by vultures like a helpless rodent in an open field. Here, people actually don't believe her BS excuses or lies and see right through her harmful and very obvious ED-behaviours.

Books Hermione Granger would read? Do you think Hermione Granger would read those books? I love Jane Austen and the Brontes, but would Hermione actually read these?
Forget the books.. Thank fudge she doesn't talk like this anymore. I cannnn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
I can't get over how similar Sacha looks to Martha. They could literally be twins, not just the fact that they both dress similar/wear the same makeup
Is this the same girl that was at a Christmas market with them and everyone thought it was Marfa? (It was long ago).
I really wanna know who that was. 😆

Reactions: 2
Evil horrible bullies this isn't a false alarm apparently I'm in slow labour
Sorry for been off topic but I had to share the news
@GoinDowntown I said to Mr scapier I'm blaming you 😂😂😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Don't forget your to-do list for your Slow-Living Slow Labour Night Routine (Very Productive)!

• Haha
Reactions: 38
I’m not a native speaker either 😂 She’s really just that bad.
Wow, are you really not a native speaker? Your English is better than mine and I am English. 😂

The word 'spotty' just makes me think of Dalmatians (or underwear when your period is approaching)
Makes me think of a spotty rash (sorry if anyone's eating).

How exciting! New, small human is on their way! I hope everything goes smoothly. 😊🐣

Reactions: 12
So off topic but the video clips of ruby’s parents trying on the uni gowns and all of them taking photos together was so sweet!

No white knighting here lol but makes me excited for my graduation in a year 🫢

Reactions: 9
It was sweet, but I noticed that Ruby again emphasized how they didn't go to university without acknowledging her other privileges (giant house, generational wealth, etc). To be fair, it's totally valid that they'd be proud and try on her gown, but Ruby makes it sound as though she had to overcome all of these obstacles when in reality she's much more privileged than most people with university-educated parents.

Reactions: 23
This is a bit out of topic, but I was reading "The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson, and when I saw this picture, I immediately thought about Ruby and her chair!
Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.16.22 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: 33
This is a bit out of topic, but I was reading "The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson, and when I saw this picture, I immediately thought about Ruby and her chair!
View attachment 1459482
Aw. Got to love The Moomins. Have you read The Summer Book by Tove Jansson? Not Moomin-related, but a good read.

Sorry to quote you twice but it just occurred to me that you've reached the peak of productivity. It's hard to beat 'making a human' when it comes to productivity goals. :p Congrats to you. ✨ I wonder what your prize could be? Dead flies, pea porridge and tailcoats don't seem exciting enough. How about a signed edition of Erimentha? Some stick-on freckles? Malory Towers box set? Lifetime's supply of vegan snack bars? Your choice. x

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
The word 'spotty' just makes me think of Dalmatians (or underwear when your period is approaching)
did she say spotty because she's stupid and can't think of the proper word or did she say it to sound more child like?

Reactions: 2
View attachment 1459482
And "The Moomins and the Great Flood" sounds awfully similar to Mother Granger's wildly unbelievable kitchen disaster.

did she say spotty because she's stupid and can't think of the proper word or did she say it to sound more child like?
why+not+both.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 10
It was sweet, but I noticed that Ruby again emphasized how they didn't go to university without acknowledging her other privileges (giant house, generational wealth, etc). To be fair, it's totally valid that they'd be proud and try on her gown, but Ruby makes it sound as though she had to overcome all of these obstacles when in reality she's much more privileged than most people with university-educated parents.
So many of the StudyTubers do this and it really grinds my gears. For supposedly intelligent people they have such naïve views of wealth and privilege. They always seem to be looking for a way to join some marginalised group when they’re nothing if the sort.

Reactions: 22
So many of the StudyTubers do this and it really grinds my gears. For supposedly intelligent people they have such naïve views of wealth and privilege. They always seem to be looking for a way to join some marginalised group when they’re nothing if the sort.
I think that privileged persons often don't look beyond their own nose (had to look up the expression. In German we say "über den Tellerrand schauen" which literally means "to look beyond the edge of a plate"). Even if their parents didn't go to university, they certainly have the money for a good or very good education. That's not the case for all students from a non-academic background. There are people who don't have the money to put their children in a private school or pay for extra tutors etc. or they don't encourage their children to do well in school. At my university there is even a student association for those from a poor(er) background, from non-academic backgrounds. The association is quite new. The majority of students still comes from a "better" background, but there is a shift and acknowledging this and helping those students is important.
But if the privileged students (both those with parents who went to uni and those who didn't but have enough money) don't see that, they really need to broaden their horizon.

I may be more privileged than others too because I could afford to start studying at 30. I know that others, who went to the same second-education-school as me, couldn't because they hadn't the money and I know that one person couldn't get student loan because you have to go straight to uni after leaving this second-education-school (it's a bit complicated). That means if you get your Abitur certificate in winter (at "normal" for schools for teenagers there is only one time, but at second education you can start and leave the school in winter or in summer), you have to apply at uni for the course in summer otherwise you don't get the loan (that only applies for 30+ year old students). Yeah, as you can see: the German education system is complicated. 😃

Reactions: 8
Un-Ruby related but Unjaded Jade is the absolute worst for this. She comes from a very wealthy, MLM family that can afford to send her to a private university for rich kids that affords her to go travelling around the world, yet she constantly posts TikToks and videos trying to put herself within oppressed, marginalised groups. It’s being oppressed for having curly hair (which as a white, blonde woman is a non-issue) or oppressed for choosing not to wear a bra.

Why can’t you just accept that you’re conventionally attractive, white, English, wealthy and have copious opportunities? Really grinds my gears.

Reactions: 32
It's worth noting that back in the day, like up until the 80's, going to university was a status symbol, and it was remarkable to be the first one in the family to get a university degree, and that's because having one pretty much guaranteed you'd have a better life than your parents who didn't go to uni. So having a child go to uni when nobody else ever did in the family was essentially a step up the social ladder for the whole family.

But since then things have changed. Now having a university degree does not equal having a well-paid, prestigious job and being better off than people without a university education. I see it even with my own parents (who started working in the 90's): my dad didn't go to uni, my mum did (and she was the first in her family as well), yet he makes quite a bit more than her and his position is more advanced.
So basically nowadays being the first person to go to uni in your family doesn't have quite the same meaning as it did, and doesn't necessarily mean you're less privileged than people who come from a more academic-oriented background.

ETA: it can still be very meaningful, of course, depending on the circumstances; for some people it really does mean they had everything against them and still managed to get a university degree despite the odds and the lack of financial/emotional support from their family, and that should absolutely be celebrated for the huge achievement it is. That's obviously not the case with Ruby.

Reactions: 16
I think that privileged persons often don't look beyond their own nose (had to look up the expression. In German we say "über den Tellerrand schauen" which literally means "to look beyond the edge of a plate"). Even if their parents didn't go to university, they certainly have the money for a good or very good education. That's not the case for all students from a non-academic background. There are people who don't have the money to put their children in a private school or pay for extra tutors etc. or they don't encourage their children to do well in school. At my university there is even a student association for those from a poor(er) background, from non-academic backgrounds. The association is quite new. The majority of students still comes from a "better" background, but there is a shift and acknowledging this and helping those students is important.
But if the privileged students (both those with parents who went to uni and those who didn't but have enough money) don't see that, they really need to broaden their horizon.

I may be more privileged than others too because I could afford to start studying at 30. I know that others, who went to the same second-education-school as me, couldn't because they hadn't the money and I know that one person couldn't get student loan because you have to go straight to uni after leaving this second-education-school (it's a bit complicated). That means if you get your Abitur certificate in winter (at "normal" for schools for teenagers there is only one time, but at second education you can start and leave the school in winter or in summer), you have to apply at uni for the course in summer otherwise you don't get the loan (that only applies for 30+ year old students). Yeah, as you can see: the German education system is complicated. 😃
Sure, but German universities are free of charge depending on the Bundesland, or charge very low tuition fees (a few hundred a year at most), which makes it way more affordable than 9,000ish pounds a year in the UK... Plus Germany has the BAfög (government support for students) and in the UK it's a loan. In Germany private schools are not so much a thing as in the UK. I'd say German universities are, from a financial point of view, more accessible than British ones.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.