Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well I mean taking walks and reading books is apparently all she does nowadays. She basically lives in an Austen novel, except none of the characters are interested in romance
And now I remembered that she doesn't like Austen. That's probably why lol her novels are quite romance-focused and Ruby can't relate.

Reactions: 15
Seeing as it probably takes her the better part of a day to come up with anything like an original thought or idea, I’m sure this is accurate so she’s not going to have time for any of the other tit. Also her morning and night ”routines” take up 12 hours out of the day to begin with.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Off topic, but was she getting lots of hate comments on instagram from people who don’t follow her? I haven’t caught up on her in a while and wondered why she changed the ability to comment on her IG

Reactions: 4
Books Hermione Granger would read? Do you think Hermione Granger would read those books? I love Jane Austen and the Brontes, but would Hermione actually read these?
I’m in the middle of a big H*rry P*tter re-read/watch (audiobook and god is Stephen Fry starting to grate on me after 6 and a half books, the movies are a welcome relief) and I can tell you with absolute authority that the only books Hermione Granger ever reads outside of school books are Hogwarts: A History and The Tales of Beedle the Bard. She may be many things, but a literature lover she is not.

also I would like to dedicate the tail end of this comment (while I’m still able to edit) to register my amusement at the fact that whereas other people might wear a polka-dot dress, you know, a dress with a polka-dot pattern, the dress Rootabaga wore on her graduation day was, according to her, SPOTTY. (don’t come at me with ”spotted”, first of all it’s just as bad and secondly, not half as amusing)

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I’m in the middle of a big HP re-read/watch (audiobook and god is Stephen Fry starting to grate on me after 6 and a half books, the movies are a welcome relief) and I can tell you with absolute authority that the only books Hermione Granger ever reads outside of school books are Hogwarts: A History and The Tales of Beedle the Bard. She may be many things, but a literature lover she is not.

also I would like to dedicate the tail end of this comment (while I’m still able to edit) to register my amusement at the fact that whereas other people might wear a polka-dot dress, you know, a dress with a polka-dot pattern, the dress Rootabaga wore on her graduation day was, according to her, SPOTTY.
The word 'spotty' just makes me think of Dalmatians (or underwear when your period is approaching)

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Does she say culottes strangely to anyone else or do all Southerners say it like that? I've only ever heard it pronounced as cu-lots but she says coo-lots
Coo-lots is how I would pronounce it. I think it's how americans pronounce it as that's where I first heard the word said. Is that cu as in cumulate or cu as in cult, or cu as in cushion?

I was disappointed too when I saw that. But because she bought them in a plastic container. her parents have a huge garden and a vegetable garden as well (as far as I know from a video). what do they grow there? money? why not some berries? I'd love to grow my own berries. I'll try next year although I'm a bit scared. lol
Why are you scared? Raspberries are easy. Just don't be surprised if they take a year to come in and die back each year. Each producing cane only lives 1 year, and new canes come up to produce fruit. You could do any bramble, really. I've heard Loganberries are quite good. Then there's gooseberries, they grow on a lovely bush. And strawberries. They're best done in a strawberry pot or raised bed.

I think people tend to avoid putting brambles of all kinds (blackberries, raspberries or loganberries) into their hobby gardens (as the Stones' is) because they're unsightly and take a lot of labour to harvest. That said, even if they did grow raspberries they'd be well done by now. Ours finished a few weeks back (maybe around the beginning of the month) and hence you're not getting fresh raspberries in this country this close to august. They have an earlier season than blackberries which are coming in around now. I can see why they don't grow more, despite having the space. Growing more means doing more, and if you don't have that strong an affinity for gardening you would have to hire someone.

Speaking of hiring people, has it been suggested before that the Stone's may hire a cleaner? They definitely have the money to have someone in once a week or so. My boyfriend's family has a cleaner who comes in once a week to give the house a once over (because both his parents are doctors and wouldn't be able to keep house otherwise.) I could see it being hidden from us because it's viewed as a very posh unrelatable thing (when in reality outsourcing domestic labour is done for a number of reasons and a good number of people do it.) The only reason I wouldn't necessarily assume it is Mummy Stone doesn't work (I assume.) This doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility, because Ruby has never had more hardcore household cleaning tasks on her to-do lists, like mopping, scrubbing or dusting. Now it's possible Mummy Stone handles it, but I can't imagine Ruby and Martha would never be given any of these tasks.

Anyway that's just an idea I've been turning over in my head for a while.

Reactions: 3
also I would like to dedicate the tail end of this comment (while I’m still able to edit) to register my amusement at the fact that whereas other people might wear a polka-dot dress, you know, a dress with a polka-dot pattern, the dress Rootabaga wore on her graduation day was, according to her, SPOTTY. (don’t come at me with ”spotted”, first of all it’s just as bad and secondly, not half as amusing)
Okay so now I'm officially jealous of all English native speakers for their ability to spot (lol) all of Ruby's embarrassing violations of the English language. It must be even more entertaining for you. Although even I myself noticed a lot of them. That says a lot about her.

Reactions: 9
Okay so now I'm officially jealous of all English native speakers for their ability to spot (lol) all of Ruby's embarrassing violations of the English language. It must be even more entertaining for you. Although even I myself noticed a lot of them. That says a lot about her.
I’m not a native speaker either 😂 She’s really just that bad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Apologies to all, I thought it was Stone. Perhaps it's a weird mandela effect XD. Would be no confusion if she just used her real name.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
What might help is that non-native speakers of English learn the language initially (primarily) in its written form, by reading text books and writing in English. Native speakers start learning their language phonetically, by emulating what they hear. So Ruby might just write down the 'sound' of a word, whereas non-natives might have read or written that word before.
Sure, Ruby uses words that you'd encounter in a written form first, because they are more 'advanced', but she gets very simple words wrong too.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.