Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Off topic, but I recently started to follow Ruby's new "bestie" Natasha on Instagram. She has posted quite a few photos with friends on them, but I couldn't find one with Ruby. If it wasn't Ruby, I'd say they just don't get to see each other very often because they live in different cities or something. But it's Ruby, so ...

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I haven't watched all her videos, but are you sure about the no-fat deal? there are plenty of vegan-friendly food with fat: avocado, nuts, coconut, olive oil, chia seeds, dark chocolate, and flaxseeds. I got this info off a site, so that may not be all the info.
I might have generalised Ruby's disordered eating too much but there's some truth in it.

No doubt on your examples of vegan foods with beneficial fat in them. It's Ruby eating a balanced variety (or at least enough to be beneficial) that I'm questioning.

Reactions: 8
I might have generalised Ruby's disordered eating too much but there's some truth in it.

No doubt on your examples of vegan foods with beneficial fat in them. It's Ruby eating a balanced variety (or at least enough to be beneficial) that I'm questioning.
tw Roobee’s ed stupidity Yeah, I mean we all just witnessed the way it took her four bites to finish a damn olive… and she claims to love nut butters but eats like a single teaspoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
I thought she would talk about doing a Masters next in this video but she didn't mention it. I wonder if she no longer wants to do one?
I think she'll apply for Oxford, get rejected and then give up on the whole thing and never mention it again.

After her dissertation, I think she's well aware now of how out of her depth she'd be on a post-grad course that was entirely dependant on independent thought and study. If she can't use Blakeney's work and her usual shortcuts to high grades and praise then she won't be interested. She certainly won't be doing it to learn anything.

Outside of a last shot at Oxford to try to prove something to everyone, a Masters will just be another excuse to delay reality for another year, and at this point she'll happily use other excuses that don't require her to leave home.

Regarding Ruby's graduation video... why did they all crowd in Ruby's old flat instead of idk... getting a hotel?

It's not like they can't afford it. My parents stayed in a hotel the night before my graduation. I would never get them to crowd in my flat for the night.
This is the family that left all their windows and curtains open all day long during a heatwave to let all the hot air in, and allow their daughter to leave all the windows all over the house open throughout winter. They're a bunch of dumbasses.

That and getting a hotel would've meant Ruby had to sleep in a room by herself and not share a bed with mummy. Having mummy and daddy sleeping in her room so she could make-believe she's a child was like a dozen charity sponsorships come early for her, it must've been the highlight of her year.

Reactions: 16
I was reading about Ruby's eating habits and the comments made in the last post, and it made me think of a video that she did years ago but I can't find it or it was removed. It was a video that she made before she went off to university and it was her making food plans for what to eat as she had just become a vegan and she was making a spreadsheet of things like nutrients and vitamins in the foods so she didn't become deficient in anything. I was quite interested in the video as I liked Ruby a lot and I was just becoming vegan, and I remember that there were a few comments that were warning her not to become too obsessive about it as it could lead to disordered eating and she was telling people that she was just doing it to make sure she got what she needed. I ended up going on youtube to find the video and found her old videos and I find the contrast between her now and when she started university to be very jarring, especially in her face and she looks much older than she is.

I also found her reviewing a book on GoodReads about the bible and eating disorders that she was writing an essay on in 2018 and it's just a bizarre topic to write an essay on.

Reactions: 10
I think she'll apply for Oxford, get rejected and then give up on the whole thing and never mention it again.
I disagree if I'm honest. I think she'll apply to Oxford and actually be successful this time round.

You need a strong academic showing at undergrad, which she has; Oxford requires a first-class or a strong 2:1 and she has a strong first from a very good RG university. With some modules at 80 and I don't think a single one being below a 74, that definitely satisfies that requirement. There is also no interview for postgrad English at Oxford. If there was, I wouldn't be surprised at all if she failed to get in, as interviewers will quickly realise she isn't as smart as her grades perhaps indicate.

While I think she'll get in, I certainly don't think it'll be the right choice for her and Oxford will swallow her alive. Doing a Masters in general is difficult with the additional pressure of doing much more individualised study, but to do it at an intense environment like Oxford will be far too much for her. She'll stick at it as it's "been her dream", but I expect a train wreck.

Ultimately, she'll want to go to Oxford to try and vindicate her previous rejection and prove the nasty bullies who didn't let her in the first time round, while giving up some spiel to not give up on your dreams and it being destiny/fate or whatever. You can add in the extra bonus of being able to put "Oxford" in every single video title, whether that's "7am Morning Routine for an Oxford Student" or "How I Manage to be Productive as an Oxford Student".

All in all, it's to do with what other people think, which she cares far too much about. She should really get out of the safety net of education and into the real world. Ah well, at least it'll provide us with entertainment.

Reactions: 24
I’m just going to sit in my corner and quietly pretend Eve is throwing some 1st class shade at Roobee (lol I know there’s probably no connection)

29433F87-898C-461D-95F1-4D60E347FF6A.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 17
This just in: Ruby's had some very disappointing raspberries, but they're *okay*.
I was disappointed too when I saw that. But because she bought them in a plastic container. her parents have a huge garden and a vegetable garden as well (as far as I know from a video). what do they grow there? money? why not some berries? I'd love to grow my own berries. I'll try next year although I'm a bit scared. lol

Reactions: 9
I disagree if I'm honest. I think she'll apply to Oxford and actually be successful this time round.

You need a strong academic showing at undergrad, which she has; Oxford requires a first-class or a strong 2:1 and she has a strong first from a very good RG university. With some modules at 80 and I don't think a single one being below a 74, that definitely satisfies that requirement. There is also no interview for postgrad English at Oxford. If there was, I wouldn't be surprised at all if she failed to get in, as interviewers will quickly realise she isn't as smart as her grades perhaps indicate.

While I think she'll get in, I certainly don't think it'll be the right choice for her and Oxford will swallow her alive. Doing a Masters in general is difficult with the additional pressure of doing much more individualised study, but to do it at an intense environment like Oxford will be far too much for her. She'll stick at it as it's "been her dream", but I expect a train wreck.

Ultimately, she'll want to go to Oxford to try and vindicate her previous rejection and prove the nasty bullies who didn't let her in the first time round, while giving up some spiel to not give up on your dreams and it being destiny/fate or whatever. You can add in the extra bonus of being able to put "Oxford" in every single video title, whether that's "7am Morning Routine for an Oxford Student" or "How I Manage to be Productive as an Oxford Student".

All in all, it's to do with what other people think, which she cares far too much about. She should really get out of the safety net of education and into the real world. Ah well, at least it'll provide us with entertainment.
She'll escape an interview, but she'll still have to submit a statement of intent/proposal and a selection of essays, which will kill her chances pretty quickly, I think.

Her sample essays will be judged with much closer scrutiny by Oxford admissions than Exeter. Factor in the grade inflation and most of her Exeter work would likely be a 2:2 by Oxford's standards. They're much less likely to overlook Ruby's sheer overreliance on other people's ideas and writing essays that are 85% supporting quotes.

And the statement of intent/proposal will kill her chances immediately. She's never once been able to explain why she wants to study English at Masters, or why she wants to go to Oxford outside of it being "the BASST". They're not going to be remotely impressed by her waffling purple prose romanticising of Oxford as the Dark Academia dream which she's wanted since she was 6, or by her using her high school teachers as references, which she's bound to do.

Jack Edwards had the exact same issue: He graduated with a First, had the grades for Oxford Masters and was an easy sell from his academic history, but was quickly rejected because he approached his application from that route of superficial entitlement. He could never articulate why he wanted to go to Oxford or what he hoped to get there which he couldn't learn elsewhere (or independently). He just wanted to go to Oxford because it's socially viewed as "the best" and he felt entitled to it (and cited his vanity book and that vapid Sixteenth podcast as reasons why he should've gotten in), but had zero actual interest in studying.

Plus Ruby has a consistent pattern of trying to recycle all her old work, so I'm sure she'd try reusing the entirety of her undergrad dissertation as her Masters thesis. They'd toss her application immediately.

I totally agree, whether she gets in or not, a Masters would be the worst idea possible for her. She'll be completely out of her depth, she won't learn anything and she won't use the degree for anything after, so if she has any sense she'll just quietly abandon it.

This just in: Ruby's had some very disappointing raspberries, but they're *okay*.
Translation: They weren't gifted.

If they were, those exact same disappointing raspberries would be "SYO GOOD!" and her "FAVOURITE RASPBARRIES AVVER!"

Reactions: 21
I can't get over how similar Sacha looks to Martha. They could literally be twins, not just the fact that they both dress similar/wear the same makeup

I want her to get accepted just so she can be humbled by how much smarter everyone there actually is compared to her, and how much harder it will be for her to copy people and game the system like at Exeter

• Haha
Reactions: 18
are interviews standard when applying to university in UK? or is it an Oxbridge-thing?
Here in Germany, at least at the not-private universities, you just enrol in the course you want to study and that's it. some ccourses require a certain grade, like medicine which has a very high numerus clausus, but there are other courses which require a NC but they aren't as high as for medicine. For some courses you need to show some work, especially in fields like art or design. But I just needed to enrol, show my university entrance certificate, pay for the semester and fill in some forms. I got a mug as a welcome present from the university shop. :D
Same process with my master's. That was even easier, because it was completely online due to the pandemic. 😃 (they send me my bachelor's certificate by mail because it was 2020 and no personal visit at the office was allowed). I could even apply for my thesis online. No actual paper required.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I thought she would talk about doing a Masters next in this video but she didn't mention it. I wonder if she no longer wants to do one?

I wonder what she does all day now that she's not studying. We know she's not actually reading, and I doubt she writes more than an hour or two per day. I just hope that she doesn't spend too much time online watching food videos and things that could make her ED worse...
I'm sure she has a to-do list full of super important productive things to fill her day with that she can check off to make herself feel accomplished.

wake up-check
blink-check
breathe in-check
breathe out-check
drink tea-check
eat half an olive-check
run fingers along book spines on shelf-check
tell myself it's ok to feel lost-check
tell everyone else it's ok to feel lost-check
film all of this for morning routine number 496-check

wow i've been syo productive today!
pat myself on the back-check

ooh it's time for my evening routine already!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
wake up-check
blink-check
breathe in-check
breathe out-check
drink tea-check
eat half an olive-check
run fingers along book spines on shelf-check
tell myself it's ok to feel lost-check
tell everyone else it's ok to feel lost-check
film all of this for morning routine number 496-check
I read this in the tune of chop suey

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
are interviews standard when applying to university in UK? or is it an Oxbridge-thing?
Here in Germany, at least at the not-private universities, you just enrol in the course you want to study and that's it. some ccourses require a certain grade, like medicine which has a very high numerus clausus, but there are other courses which require a NC but they aren't as high as for medicine. For some courses you need to show some work, especially in fields like art or design. But I just needed to enrol, show my university entrance certificate, pay for the semester and fill in some forms. I got a mug as a welcome present from the university shop. :D
Same process with my master's. That was even easier, because it was completely online due to the pandemic. 😃 (they send me my bachelor's certificate by mail because it was 2020 and no personal visit at the office was allowed). I could even apply for my thesis online. No actual paper required.
It depends on the degree and the university. Oxbridge always do interviews for their Bachelor degrees, Cambridge holds interviews for their PhD programmes too. But many British unis don't do interviews at all, they might ask for a research proposal, certain grades, but not an interview.

Generally speaking, popular UK programmes are more competitive than German ones (with the exception of medicine and a few other programmes) in the sense that they require higher grades and/or interviews.
Still, there is of course huge variety in standing between different British unis, and the same goes for Germany.

Reactions: 3
I'm curious to know what Ruby's parents think of her staying home to do essentially nothing for a year. My brother is a year old than her and just finished a master's. He lives at home and doesn't have a job but my parents keep asking him about future plans, is he looking for jobs etc, they definitely wouldn't accept it if he said he wanted to wait a year before looking for anything. Although I suppose it's a bit different because a) Ruby gets youtube income, b) her book will be published no matter how good it is because of her influencer status and c) money isn't as much of a concern for the Grangers. Answered my own question I guess😂

Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.