Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

dodadedo

I can assure you with 100% certainty that Finnish does indeed have a ”v” sound, in fact one of our most beautiful and versatile words starts with a v (and ends in -ittu) 😅 We don’t have ð or þ though (as in ”they” or ”with”), maybe you’re thinking about those?
Hahaha almost as soon as I remembered posting this I was like "ffs the national epic is the KaleVala, wake up dodadedo", very tired! That is indeed what I meant!

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Lasagnacreamcone

Also in this day and age you can learn how to say pretty much any word you want on the Internet lol. There's really no excuse to the amount of words and names she mispronounces in her videos
She is saying it correctly tho. I would pronounce that sentence pretty much the same. Dunno where ety-kutt came from but whoever is saying that I'm so sorry 😅.

Honestly french is SO hard to pronounce when you didn't learn it as a child of course she pronounces stuff wrong, I still can't say "How are you" 100% correctly (it always rolls in my mouth wrong, if any one has tips I would gladly take them) and I'm as good in english as it gets when we talk about a second language.

I agree tho that it's laugh worthy when someone uses french words to sound more posh and say them wrong.

Elekktra

is she desperate for ad revenue? is that why she's making longer videos? or she just can't be bothered to edit anymore?
Didn't she make one that was almost 1 hour long?
I thought she was losing followers...
She's gonna continue losing even more.
People don't have her time. 😣

morganmichelle

Literally. Anyone who implies that people who don’t say ‘ahm-bee-ance’ are somehow lazy, unintelligent and not knowledgable is just pretentious af. To me this is also a pretty good example of the wealth/culture divide in the south east btw, like I really did grow up around people like this who knock about thinking they’re genuinely more intelligent than others just because they talk a certain way and pronounce certain words ‘properly’ 😂.
Funny how everyone is allowed to have an opinion except me. 🧐 I get criticised for my own opinions yet everyone else's opinions are being accepted? So much for freedom of speech and having an own opinion. 😂

• Haha

morganmichelle

also i think it’s good to point out that people’s names should be treated differently than other words, at least in my opinion. anglicising someone’s name, especially if they don’t want you to, is just rude. however with other words i think it’s fine. the english language has soooo many loan words. it would be impossible to pronounce all of them how they were originally intended in their language. i also think it comes off as pretentious (reminds me of those tiktoks making fun of how people speak after doing a semester abroad lol). language is socially constructed and changes over time, which is a good thing. the pronunciation of ambience in french is valid for french, but a different pronunciation has been constructed in english and i think that’s perfectly fine.
To me it just comes across as being lazy when I hear people say ahm-bee-ans instead of ahm-bee-ahns like in French, because the person couldn't be bothered to learn the correct 'original' way of pronouncing it. Being able to pronouce a word correctly it its founded language doesn't come across as pretentious, at all.. Quite the opposite actually. It makes you sound intelligent and knowledgeable. But I guess that's just me who thinks that.🙃

Lol gonna be honest here, I don’t know a single person who says ‘ahm-bee-ance’, maybe I’m just rough but if you said it like that round where I grew up people would be like… errrr? 🤣
I take it you're not from the south east?

• Sick
  • Haha

theMoth

Chatty Member
the book does sound like a nice read. but there seems to be a bit romance involved? at least that's what I gather from reviews on goodreads (don't know if they are supposed to post a review months before publishing? I received a few books for review through Netgalley and other websites and there is often the rule that you aren't allowed to post your review before the publication date).
I’m really intrigued by this. Is it usual to give out a pre-release copy so far in advance? 5ish months seems a long time between seeing a promotion and being able to buy a book.
sometimes. I got a review copy last year for a book that came out in August of that year and I got the book in spring. Okay that was not half a year but still.

Elekktra

When did she make a tiktok?
i don't understand why she joined tiktok and what for. It doesn't seem like her style.

And i thought she wore normal clothes when she isn't at home.....?
But i don't follow her often so i don't know 😪

has anyone checked ruby's pinterest recently? her pins are so fascinating to me as some are so 'out there' compared to Ruby's life and what she portrays. e.g girly-glam women with full makeup, a girl on a boy's back etc
i looked it up,but i didn't find the bf's pic lol. But i think it looks normal. You made me think she was living a double life 😂

Last edited:

dodadedo

Same here! There was extra support for those applying to Oxbridge but I think that was largely due to the application process being slightly different. Our form tutors would 'approve' our personal statements (and, in my case, interfered with university choices) but we had no mock interviews, or extra tuition.
Word. And if you weren't one of the twenty or so girls they'd already pre-chosen for Oxbridge, it wasn't for you. You'd get a lip service amount of attention paid to your personal statement- by your form tutor, so usually this'd just be at your first parents evening or in form time at the beginning of the day, if you happened to be in for morning registration- and that was it.

Not every grammar school is the same. I think it very much depends where they are. Ironically, from teaching I've found that the optional grammars that tend to be more akin to private schools- as in, the few counties that still have the selective 11-plus system as standard rather than opt-in, outside school time, because it's a normal thing to either go to grammar or to a comp, they're just... schools? Maybe that's my experience from both going to a grammar in a selective county and teaching in both non-selective and selective counties.

IDK man the UK education system is a mess anyway.

theMoth

Chatty Member
Another note:

View attachment 1498254 10:26 Ruby shows off the chair then smacks it against her closet door without even a flinch
maybe she is used to smack furniture against furniture. I'm that kind of person that smacks things into other things or drops something. I then say to my (concerned) husband when he hears me smacking things "nothing happened!". sometimes I say this up to three times a day. :ROFLMAO: I'm a bit clumsy and Ruby seems like a clumsy kind of person too.

• Haha

jayley51

Regarding Ruby's graduation video... why did they all crowd in Ruby's old flat instead of idk... getting a hotel?

It's not like they can't afford it. My parents stayed in a hotel the night before my graduation. I would never get them to crowd in my flat for the night.
Maybe they thought it wasn't neccessary since they could crash Ruby's flat for free. Just because they can afford it doesn't mean they have to buy it. Of course, it could be down to the fact she wasn't driving herself. That's my opinion.

Did we honestly expect Mother Granger to be a great speller?

Maybe I’m missing some cultural context that Google is unable to find for me, but overall these names seem just fine to me… Chickens are the one pure wholesome thing in this world, idrc what some middle-aged Tory mum chooses to call them.
I don't get it either. I just assumed Manderley is a nod to Rebecca 🤷‍♀️

FolderDuvet

Does she say culottes strangely to anyone else or do all Southerners say it like that? I've only ever heard it pronounced as cu-lots but she says coo-lots
Coo-lots is how I would pronounce it. I think it's how americans pronounce it as that's where I first heard the word said. Is that cu as in cumulate or cu as in cult, or cu as in cushion?

I was disappointed too when I saw that. But because she bought them in a plastic container. her parents have a huge garden and a vegetable garden as well (as far as I know from a video). what do they grow there? money? why not some berries? I'd love to grow my own berries. I'll try next year although I'm a bit scared. lol
Why are you scared? Raspberries are easy. Just don't be surprised if they take a year to come in and die back each year. Each producing cane only lives 1 year, and new canes come up to produce fruit. You could do any bramble, really. I've heard Loganberries are quite good. Then there's gooseberries, they grow on a lovely bush. And strawberries. They're best done in a strawberry pot or raised bed.

I think people tend to avoid putting brambles of all kinds (blackberries, raspberries or loganberries) into their hobby gardens (as the Stones' is) because they're unsightly and take a lot of labour to harvest. That said, even if they did grow raspberries they'd be well done by now. Ours finished a few weeks back (maybe around the beginning of the month) and hence you're not getting fresh raspberries in this country this close to august. They have an earlier season than blackberries which are coming in around now. I can see why they don't grow more, despite having the space. Growing more means doing more, and if you don't have that strong an affinity for gardening you would have to hire someone.

Speaking of hiring people, has it been suggested before that the Stone's may hire a cleaner? They definitely have the money to have someone in once a week or so. My boyfriend's family has a cleaner who comes in once a week to give the house a once over (because both his parents are doctors and wouldn't be able to keep house otherwise.) I could see it being hidden from us because it's viewed as a very posh unrelatable thing (when in reality outsourcing domestic labour is done for a number of reasons and a good number of people do it.) The only reason I wouldn't necessarily assume it is Mummy Stone doesn't work (I assume.) This doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility, because Ruby has never had more hardcore household cleaning tasks on her to-do lists, like mopping, scrubbing or dusting. Now it's possible Mummy Stone handles it, but I can't imagine Ruby and Martha would never be given any of these tasks.

Anyway that's just an idea I've been turning over in my head for a while.

morganmichelle

I'm guessing the bookshelf tour is on TikTok? Couldn't find it on YouTube, so typed search terms in and found a bunch of book-related videos I haven't seen before.

Has this one from Feb 2021 been discussed on Tattle? It was before I joined. She's got a book haul of 45 (!!) books and the first two are etiquette guides. She pronounces the word strangely: etty-ket, though it's possible I'm the one who's been mispronouncing it. And now she's talking about War and Peace - did she ever finish it?! By Leo Toiylstoy, according to Ruby.

Help, she's just said that Norwegian Wood is 'SYO SENSORY!' three times in the space of a minute.
I'm from the south east and speak pure RP, and I pronounce it as eh-ti-ket.

opal73

VIP Member
She very much reminds me of Jack Edwards nowadays. They both built their whole personality on how ‘super intelligent’ they were in secondary school. The ego boost from doing YouTube made them delusional and thought it was certain they would get into Oxford. They don’t, it’s a massive kick in the teeth, and instead of addressing the unhealthy thought patterns and the pain of rejection they spend the next three years convincing their audience that they’re ‘SO much HAPPIER at DURHAM/EXETER and it was OBVIOUS that Oxford would NOT have been as good.’ However, they completely go back on that when they apply to Oxford for a masters, and surprise surprise, get rejected again. This second public face plant causes even more hurt but instead of ever really addressing it they crawl back to the legions of 14 year olds on YouTube who actually believe they study for 20 hours a day and read 300 books a week or whatever.
Hopefully she won't make the same mistake as Jack and embarrass herself in front of her audience who think she's this hardworking genius by admitting she got rejected, again

StatusWoe

VIP Member
She also owns and has apparently read David Cameron's biography and one or more books by Jacob Rees-Mogg. There's nobody on the planet who'd not only wade through that horseshit but pay money for the experience, unless they were a massive Tory.
Yikes. Did she ever explain why she'd want to read Cameron's bio or the Rees-Mogg book? I'll send her a recommendation for something by Arthur Scargill just to even things out. :p

Does anyone know which state/s they're planning to visit in America? Maybe they're going to do a Bones Roadtrip.

• Haha

morganmichelle

I'm not even sure if this video is related to the thread because I've not watched it but I saw her name and had to share it with you guys!
Okay so the girl is almost an adult.. 17 isn't as young as she looks. Still weird but at least this video shows Ruby didn't go there just to meet random people.