Ruby Granger #3 Call Me By My Scientific Names And I'll Still Play Children's Games

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know what kind of an idiot the person who wrote these comments is but I am really hoping the OP is like 10 years old otherwise it's concerning that the pride in ignorance is this strong. You pronounce someone's name however it's supposed to be pronounced, it's not a multiple choice "however you damn well please" series of options, wtf.
Exactly, it’s just rude, I appreciate poirot is a fictional character but I really hope she doesn’t take the same attitude towards people with names that are foreign to her that she meets irl.
Also her comment about spaniards is a straight up lie lmao it’s literally just the media that translates peoples names

Reactions: 15
Her waxing lyrical in the new video about how "Her hair was as black as school shoes" is such a great line... Idk it's just me probably but I hate that type of lazy, easy similes lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Her waxing lyrical in the new video about how "Her hair was as black as school shoes" is such a great line... Idk it's just me probably but I hate that type of lazy, easy similes lmao
She will just be excited about the mention of school.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
in fairness given the narrator is a child it does make sense in terms of narrative voice, but I don’t think that’s what Ruby was appreciating, I think she just generally prefers childishness to anything adult. Somebody (maybe on the last thread) mentioned that her writing in a goodreads review was weirdly simplistic, I bet Ruby’s writing tends towards simple imagery like that.
She will just be excited about the mention of school.
Yup, school shoes are probably exciting to her in a way most 20 year olds have grown out of lmao

Reactions: 5
I am forever telling my (year 6! 11 year olds!) class not to use lazy similes like that and here Ruby is waxing lyrical about said easy, lazy simile and she's an English Lit student...at uni :rolleyes: it's bizarre. Surely her essays and critical writing MUST read better than that? You'd hope so if she's getting firsts!

Also, she's showing off cottagecore outfits in her latest insta story - she needs to decide her aesthetic 😂 I feel like she is way more suited to cottagecore than dark academia as it is. This flipping between aesthetics still suggests to me that she's lost and doesn't quite know how to move forward.

Reactions: 8
I am forever telling my (year 6! 11 year olds!) class not to use lazy similes like that and here Ruby is waxing lyrical about said easy, lazy simile and she's an English Lit student...at uni :rolleyes: it's bizarre. Surely her essays and critical writing MUST read better than that? You'd hope so if she's getting firsts!

Also, she's showing off cottagecore outfits in her latest insta story - she needs to decide her aesthetic 😂 I feel like she is way more suited to cottagecore than dark academia as it is. This flipping between aesthetics still suggests to me that she's lost and doesn't quite know how to move forward.
I don't think the writing itself is bad - the book is narrated by a child, so the simile makes perfect sense; one of the most irritating things an author can do is give children words/thoughts that are far beyond their years, it's incredibly disorienting. The fact that Ruby seemed to consider it a genius piece of writing, however, is weird. It's a realistic simile for a schoolchild to use, a 20 year old shouldn't be getting that excited over it.

As for the aesthetic stuff, I'm not sure I agree. I'll be honest I don't really understand when "aesthetics" became such a big thing (or when the word started to be misused so regularly...), but I don't see why anyone should have to decide on one aesthetic. It seems highly unlikely that someone's personality and style is actually going to fit into one aesthetic perfectly, unless you're forcing it. Just be yourself. Aesthetic's seem kinda damaging to me - they tell you what to read, what films to watch, how to dress, when these are all things that should be dictated by no external force, they should be completely individual. I will happily wear ripped jeans and a leather jacket one day, then a flowery dress the next, there's nothing wrong with that.

I think the bigger issue is that Ruby seems incapable of forming a personality without trying to fit external definitions. The fact that she isn't developing a sense of self naturally, but has to constantly draw on fictional characters and aesthetics is concerning.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
In her story from yesterday she pointed out that her pinafore was 7 years old. As we talked about on the last thread, her fitting into children's clothes (that pinafore could be a child's size 12-13) is a sign she's struggling with an ED.

Her obsession with school is really concerning now. It's like she's regressing to an age she was happy because she was the most intelligent in her class and got lots of praise. So now she's dressing in white tights, pinafores and school summer dresses to recreate her childhood? It just doesn't sit right with me and if I knew her personally I would've spoken to her about her MH by now because clearly something isn't right.

I wonder whether because she over-exaggerates the bullying she received in school maybe she believes her childhood was taken from her, in the same way that victims of abuse do, and she's recreating it now to make up for what she thinks she's lost. It wouldn't be the first time she invented a struggle for herself to allow herself to use an unhealthy coping mechanism.

Reactions: 18
I think the bigger issue is that Ruby seems incapable of forming a personality without trying to fit external definitions. The fact that she isn't developing a sense of self naturally, but has to constantly draw on fictional characters and aesthetics is concerning.
I think this is what I was trying to say, albeit clumsily - I am trying to chase up a lost delivery, wait for a food shop and sort out some boring grown up bank stuff (yay 2020!) but yes, you put much better than me what I was trying to say, in that she doesn't seem to have a proper sense of self or identity without drawing on external things. I don't think many 20 year olds have a clearly defined sense of self (I'm 34 in a few days and I'm still trying!!) but it's just concerning that very little of Ruby's personality/aesthetic/choices seem to be actually "her" - which is what I was getting at when I said that she seemed lost.

Reactions: 6
In her story from yesterday she pointed out that her pinafore was 7 years old. As we talked about on the last thread, her fitting into children's clothes (that pinafore could be a child's size 12-13) is a sign she's struggling with an ED.
I agree that her behaviour is unhealthy but I don't agree with this. I still fit into my school dresses from Year 6 and I am by no means underweight. People grow at different rates and some people are their adult size by the end of primary school!

I do think that coming from such a privileged background is working against her. If she had to go out and get a job like many other students, I don't think her persona would be so easy to maintain. She is enabled to live in a complete bubble of pretend childhood innocence.

I also read on her Insta that she thinks she's an INFJ.... lolololol for anyone who knows MBTI she is peak SJ. I thought ISTJ to be honest.

• Haha
As for the aesthetic stuff, I'm not sure I agree. I'll be honest I don't really understand when "aesthetics" became such a big thing (or when the word started to be misused so regularly...), but I don't see why anyone should have to decide on one aesthetic. It seems highly unlikely that someone's personality and style is actually going to fit into one aesthetic perfectly, unless you're forcing it. Just be yourself. Aesthetic's seem kinda damaging to me - they tell you what to read, what films to watch, how to dress, when these are all things that should be dictated by no external force, they should be completely individual. I will happily wear ripped jeans and a leather jacket one day, then a flowery dress the next, there's nothing wrong with that.

I think this is a problem when you’ve made an aesthetic your brand, and you’re aiming to appeal to a younger audience who don’t necessarily have the maturity to understand that you don’t have to make a single aesthetic 100% of your life and identity. If Ruby suddenly broke out in a different direction she’d probably face a lot of criticism from her fans for doing something ‘different’, whereas of course it’s entirely normal to explore different facets of your personality and preference, especially when you’re young. The problem with Ruby is that she seems to have some difficulties in defining her own personality already, and now she’s following a path where she’s created this whole brand and persona that’s probably actually quite stifling. She also seems to have a very ‘all or nothing’ personality and it’s probably quite difficult for her to accept that she can’t (and shouldn’t) act like this manufactured persona all of the time.

Reactions: 4
I agree - I think she’s right that it shows a childishness to the protagonist but I find it strange that she seems to love this kind of writing specifically because of its childish innocence. It reminds me of the excerpt of her writing she shared where it’s very overly descriptive and quite shallow. She seems to thrive off this ‘childlike wonder’ (as she would call it) when really I’d describe it as naivety.

Reactions: 2
“Read-a-thon” just seem silly to me. You read for pleasure and that just seemed like I need to read as much as I can, even while I cook (just put the damn book down for 5 min woman)
Also it seemed like she didn’t have lunch that day (ED)

Reactions: 4
I am so confused as to how she has never heard of poirot????
Maybe it’s because she never seems to just sit and watch tv. I know she watches certain shows and films but it always seems to be planned. Most people do their work then decide what to watch after, yet Ruby seems to plan exactly what she’s watching and when. I’m not a massive reader but have read quite a few Agatha Christie books and watched many adaptations seeing as they’re often on tv, especially around this time of year. I honestly find it quite sad how she never does anything spontaneous. She doesn’t even randomly flick through channels and find something to watch. On the few videos I’ve watched where she says she’s going to watch something it always feels quite forced, like she feels she has to say that she does do some fun things because she doesn’t want to seem too obsessive about being productive. Even the stuff she watches seems quite childish, like Anne with and E and the Simpsons. Of course we all watch shows like that, but I’m sure most adults watch other things too that are more adult content.
Ruby just seems to be stuck in her teenage mindset that she has to be productive every minute of every day and can’t possibly spare an afternoon to watch tv or just do nothing and although she might do well acedemically, she’s extremely lacking on social skills and maturity.

I've never heard of Poirot? I'm not dead to the world, I read lots and study a humanities degree. Chill.

Reactions: 9
“Read-a-thon” just seem silly to me. You read for pleasure and that just seemed like I need to read as much as I can, even while I cook (just put the damn book down for 5 min woman)
Also it seemed like she didn’t have lunch that day (ED)
Reading is my main hobby and I mostly associate a "readathon" with a themed sort of "reading challenge" rather than just "read as many books as you can". Some people do host like 24 hour readathons, but a lot of them are a week or a month long and there are prompts - e.g. every October some Booktubers host Victober which is focussed on Victorian literature and one of the prompts might be "Read a Victorian book where the title is someone's name" etc, rather than Ruby's random speed reading. Readathons are meant to have group/community elements to them as well - in my experience anyway.

Ruby just seems to be stuck in her teenage mindset that she has to be productive every minute of every day and can’t possibly spare an afternoon to watch tv or just do nothing and although she might do well acedemically, she’s extremely lacking on social skills and maturity.
I'm doing uni part time while working full time, and as productive as I am, sometimes there is nothing better than sitting in front of the TV and wasting away the evening 😅 I hope one day she can appreciate how much she does, and can give herself that free reign to relax. I always feel much better after an evening of doing nothing when I've spent days at 100%

Reactions: 8
I just got around to watching her “What o Got For Christmas” video and I’m amazed at how young and childish she come across as

does anybody remember a few Christmases ago (I think when she was in 6th form?) she got American Girl dolls and clothes? She was a little embarrassed admitting it was a little young for her but she loved the dolls, so she got one as a gift

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Reading is my main hobby and I mostly associate a "readathon" with a themed sort of "reading challenge" rather than just "read as many books as you can". Some people do host like 24 hour readathons, but a lot of them are a week or a month long and there are prompts - e.g. every October some Booktubers host Victober which is focussed on Victorian literature and one of the prompts might be "Read a Victorian book where the title is someone's name" etc, rather than Ruby's random speed reading. Readathons are meant to have group/community elements to them as well - in my experience anyway.
That does sound nice! I guess I just don’t agree with the way Ruby promotes it to be

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.