Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

CatCafe234

VIP Member
What the fuck. There's some weird videos on that list. "being exceptionally British for a day" - I'm assuming she's just going to drink more tea, but that sounds weirdly nationalistic...
I just saw this and what on earth does that mean? 6am, wake up and drink tea. 7.30am, go and colonise next door’s garden ...

• Haha
Reactions: 71

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
It's exceptionally British through a rose-tinted lens, in the same way a lot of tourists think Parisian life is scampering around le boulangerie tres chic, when most of the time you're trying to avoid dog shit

Exceptionally British to me is waiting on a cold platform, and hearing the magic words, "I'm sorry to announce that the 17.03 service to London Bridge is delayed by 20 minutes. This train is formed of half a carriage."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 57

Scapier88

VIP Member
Just manged to read 10 books today started of with peppa pig and finished with the classic book of all times the gruffolo
Instagram video of me jumping in muddy puddles coming soon as I feel so inspired by that bratty little pig

• Haha
Reactions: 52

babygoats

Ruby Granger #4: Please, sir, may I have some more [priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity]?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51

Lola123

VIP Member
The latest Miss Patina Insta video, most of the items were really creased, the best item is that pinafore dress but it had stains on the front :unsure: They are also definitely not a small business, another made in China clothing website with a few stores. The stuff looks really plastic.
I think it’s very unfair to expect her to spend all day beating her clothes with a rock, she clearly can’t use an iron because they weren’t invented silly. She can’t put it over the fire because she’s too busy being a gremlin in front of it

• Haha
Reactions: 48
View attachment 370661

This is from her LinkedIn (it never ceases to amazes me that she uses Granger as her last name on there), so I guess that explains a little bit what she’s thinking of doing after uni? Or at least what she wants to go into?

She's listed what she wants, but I think what she NEEDS is a job in Starbucks for 12 months - I'm a big believer that customer service/retail jobs are one of the biggest character-building things you can do and I think she would genuinely grow so much as a result. I think it would improve her sense of confidence in herself, because she would learn how to deal with real, messy, day to day life, and come out of the other side of a bad day. Not to mention the interactions with people from all different walks of life, hopefully open her eyes a little bit!

• Heart
Reactions: 47

CatCafe234

VIP Member
Not quite sure I agree with the last comment 😅 I'd personally try where possible to pronounce someones name as accurate as possible, even if I didn't speak their language.
To me, anglicising someone’s name just because you’re English seems really, really rude. You pronounce someone’s name how they’d like it to be pronounced! Anglicising it just smacks of imperialism.

• Heart
Reactions: 44

3calico3

VIP Member
For someone who is so interested in astrophysics, there was a woeful lack of books on astrophysics in her 2020 reads...

• Haha
Reactions: 39

newtoyou

VIP Member
I think this is the most intellectual trash thread on this site 😂 I have no idea what some of you are talking about! 🤯

• Haha
Reactions: 39

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
I mean I don't think it's meant to be taken that seriously jesus christ
Mate whenever you come into unjaded jade and rubys threads I always see you booting off about people criticising them, may I remind you that this is a gossip site lmfao, I have no idea what else you expected to see here.

• Haha
Reactions: 38

CatCafe234

VIP Member
I think she’s misunderstanding what ‘fast fashion’ means - it’s not just about continually producing new styles or how much it costs. It’s also about the ethics of where and how the clothing is produced. I believe that most of Miss Patina’s stuff is produced in the far-East and weren’t there some grumbles about them using ideas from small designers without acknowledgement?

• Heart
Reactions: 36

missmina

VIP Member
I saw this on Pinterest. Dark Aca-Day-Mia study techniques and I was immediately reminded of Ruby. The first point about rewriting your notes over and over again. Which I find to actually be unproductive but since she’s trying so hard to fit that aesthetic. Reciting your notes dramatically - Which is probably why she feels the need to bless us with her awful poetry and book readings. And then the last point, romanticizing everything.

I don’t mind Ruby that much. I do find her a bit annoying. When I first started watching her she was sweet and nice to watch in the morning when getting ready to start a weekend of college work but now I just find her really pompous and sheltered honestly. She reminds me awfully a lot of a girl I was at college with who was a teachers pet and always had to be perfect at everything and stressed over small things and constantly worked and always complaining about how tired she is and how other people can’t be as tired as she and no one else in our class was putting in as much effort as she thought she was is but she has a very romantic view of the world and she’s very privileged and when someone did better than her she would get upset and make excuses which was very apparent especially if a POC did better than her mark wise as she was very superficial in her understanding of the world. We would have classes in the morning for 2 hours on zoom and then an hour of discussion and we’re doing a humanities degree and when we would have a lecture on race in film or blm discussions she wouldn’t come back to the class discussion but would preach about it on Instagram which is similarly to Ruby not wanting to broaden her understanding of certain topics and oddly enough she also developed an eating disorder which I think stems from trying to control everything around her and be perfect at everything. Sorry for the long post just wanted to share.

View attachment 383079
It sounds so dumb, are people actually doing it?
It reminds me of this:
View attachment 383107

• Haha
Reactions: 35

threeSMEGfridges

VIP Member
Ruby love... you live in a big draughty house... it’s January in the UK... instead of moaning you feel the cold shivering in a thin frock and blanket huddling over a gas coal fire....

put some cozy joggers, a jumper and some slipper socks on!!

I live in an ex council house in the frozen north. Working from home I’m in more layers than there are in a blinking STRUDEL. And a hat and gloves!
Giving yourself chilblains or croup is not ✨AesTheTic ✨

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Does anyone feel like she's tried to go for a different style in her video today? Like the bits where she cuts to and from herself... I'm not sure I like it, I feel like she's trying to be a bit like Matt D'Avella... not sure it works...

Also, Im halfway through Erimentha Parker and honestly I'm only carrying on because part of me is hoping Erimentha realises what an obnoxious, self-centred, and snooty person she is as a result of the 'bullying" and turns herself around to be a normal human. The whole 'book' has been littered with errors so far, incorrect use of "they're/their", you're/ your... not what I would expect from Ruby if she really is a perfectionist... if she bothered to proof read it then it was skimmed at best.

The main thing I've noticed is that Ruby has undeniably based Erimentha on herself, there isn't a single element of Erimentha's intrests so far that Ruby hasn't talked about in relation to herself. Vegan, loves a peter pan collar, not interested in idle chit chat, only tolerates ridgid structure... The character has such distain for anyone who isn't the same as her, looking down on her peers and almost seeming disgusted that they might be interested in MAKE UP and GOSSIP... its all very strange... and it seems her main desire is to impress her teachers but this is by presenting them with "projects" and "research" that she has done because she thinks they would find them interesting ; she seems to think that she is educating her teachers on these topics? It makes me cringe so much. I really hope Ruby didn't behave like Erimentha at school because if she did, I can understand why she may have been "bullied", and I use that term lightly because I think if someone was as insufferable as Erimentha is at this point, it wouldn't be "bullying" by being excluded, it's completely understandable that no one would want to associate with someone who seems intent on proving how much more superior they are than you. People have mentioned before that the whole thing stinks of privilege too and I agree - 'Erim' puts her wellington boots on in the mud room... the mud room... oh so relatable 🙄 there's also a very weird passage where she whips out a baby wipe to clean her desk, and then goes nuts over the teacher forgetting to do the register? I have attached this bit (hope thats allowed)

Sorry for the long post 😂😂😂 if anyone wants to join me on a terrifying ride through Ruby's mind you can do so via the kindle app...

(I'd like to say, despite my thoughts on her book, I do think that I think Ruby seems like a genuinely nice girl behind all the strange layers of pretence/ try-hard-ness, and I think we see glimpses of that when she is with Blakeny. If she let herself relax, I think she would be a nice friend to have!)

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow

YellowLadybird

Chatty Member
Martha is trying very hard to not be Ruby, it's working but the persona is deeply cringe. You're a private school girl from Buckinghamshire, you are not edgy even if you do cut your hair short haha.

• Haha
  • Heart

lizzie2707

I am forever telling my (year 6! 11 year olds!) class not to use lazy similes like that and here Ruby is waxing lyrical about said easy, lazy simile and she's an English Lit student...at uni :rolleyes: it's bizarre. Surely her essays and critical writing MUST read better than that? You'd hope so if she's getting firsts!

Also, she's showing off cottagecore outfits in her latest insta story - she needs to decide her aesthetic 😂 I feel like she is way more suited to cottagecore than dark academia as it is. This flipping between aesthetics still suggests to me that she's lost and doesn't quite know how to move forward.
I don't think the writing itself is bad - the book is narrated by a child, so the simile makes perfect sense; one of the most irritating things an author can do is give children words/thoughts that are far beyond their years, it's incredibly disorienting. The fact that Ruby seemed to consider it a genius piece of writing, however, is weird. It's a realistic simile for a schoolchild to use, a 20 year old shouldn't be getting that excited over it.

As for the aesthetic stuff, I'm not sure I agree. I'll be honest I don't really understand when "aesthetics" became such a big thing (or when the word started to be misused so regularly...), but I don't see why anyone should have to decide on one aesthetic. It seems highly unlikely that someone's personality and style is actually going to fit into one aesthetic perfectly, unless you're forcing it. Just be yourself. Aesthetic's seem kinda damaging to me - they tell you what to read, what films to watch, how to dress, when these are all things that should be dictated by no external force, they should be completely individual. I will happily wear ripped jeans and a leather jacket one day, then a flowery dress the next, there's nothing wrong with that.

I think the bigger issue is that Ruby seems incapable of forming a personality without trying to fit external definitions. The fact that she isn't developing a sense of self naturally, but has to constantly draw on fictional characters and aesthetics is concerning.

• Heart
Reactions: 32

CalatheaLater

Chatty Member
View attachment 375793
Jesus Christ...the whole thing is horrifically pretentious, but “soon, the worst of this pandemic will be over” is also alarmingly naive. Is this girl even human?? Once again also fees kinda insensitive to the people whose lives have been turned upside down and don’t live in the fucking countryside
"There are buds on some of the branches"

Hun, that's climate change x

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I find it absolutely ridiculous that she (or mummy and daddy) is paying over 2,000 pounds for an accommodation she's not living in. When there are people who are losing their jobs and struggling during this pandemic.
Most students can't get out of their tenancy agreement?

• Heart
Reactions: 31