Ruby Granger #3 Call Me By My Scientific Names And I'll Still Play Children's Games

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My daughter is Eleven and likes to dress up as Anne Shirley sometimes. Again, she’s Eleven.. I find it very strange how Ruby is so keen to be stuck in a child-like way at her age, the more I see from her the more I think she is quite smoke & mirrors and does (most) things to appear a certain way rather than following her true passion(s) and interests.
Almost like a manic pixie dream girl, right? She acts based on the way she thinks it will be perceived.

Reactions: 1
”she makes everything more beautiful” Yes, let’s all start calling him Herr Cool Pie-Rot, so beautiful! ✨❤🤦

• Haha
Reactions: 11
If she was unsure of the pronunciation she could of easily typed the word into Google and used the audio

Reactions: 10
Almost like a manic pixie dream girl, right? She acts based on the way she thinks it will be perceived.
I think she behaves like that because, for whatever reason, she doesn’t want to become an adult, be more independent and potentially leave home. She seems to want to be ‘looked after’ and honestly, some of her recent more worrying behaviours strike me as her looking for a way to make that happen. I know that we only see a very edited version of her life but it does worry me that there doesn’t seem to be anyone around her who’s picking up on that. In fact, her mum especially seems to be encouraging it.

Reactions: 3
i think its completely fine that Ruby might have an interest in children or YA genre books. i just wish she would read out of her comfort zone a little. i used to be obsessed with crime books, and would disregard all other genres, but during the lockdown i started reading fiction and philosophical books, and now it's all i read! especially by Japanese authors. i've learnt so much from reading books with different authors from around the world! i just think if she claims to be so smart wouldn't she want to read from different cultures?

also, has anyone read Little Women? i'm thinking of purchasing it since its so hyped up but don't know if i should!

Reactions: 11
also, has anyone read Little Women? i'm thinking of purchasing it since its so hyped up but don't know if i should!
It’s a favourite of mine and I’d recommend it. It’s a classic, it’s very much of its time but it’s very readable and fun to read at this time of year. I’m not a huge fan of the sequels though.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
i think its completely fine that Ruby might have an interest in children or YA genre books. i just wish she would read out of her comfort zone a little. i used to be obsessed with crime books, and would disregard all other genres, but during the lockdown i started reading fiction and philosophical books, and now it's all i read! especially by Japanese authors. i've learnt so much from reading books with different authors from around the world! i just think if she claims to be so smart wouldn't she want to read from different cultures?

I think it's a shame that she doesn't read more diversely, especially as an English student. She does have a very definite comfort zone and a lot of her reading material does seem to be similar thematically and in plot. She said something today about liking most of the books she reads because she knows what sort of books she likes, but I think it's always good to branch out!

I read Little Women as a child and remember liking it, but I'm thinking of rereading it now after enjoying the adaptation that came out last year and I feel like I'll get a lot more out of it now!

• Heart
What made me laugh was how a few weeks ago a poster here found the book club and saw that admins had been running it whilst Ruby was missing in action...now all of a sudden she’s having zoom calls with those other people - no mention about how others were helping her tough...unless I missed that part. :unsure:
I don’t think she ever thanked the moderators (who shes now made admins). I missed her first zoom call so maybe she thanked them there.

I don’t think she ever thanked the moderators (who shes now made admins). I missed her first zoom call so maybe she thanked them there.
I joined that zoom call but I was like ten minutes late, she hadn't said anything.

Someone on the call told her she could create an account with her uni email address to have unlimited time and she said she'd do that, but the last call was still limited to 45 minutes. I don't even think she enjoys those and is doing them out of obligation and to ease her guilt.

She wouldn't be able to cope with unlimited time it wouldn't fit into her structure

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I joined the group out of curiosity, though probably won't read the books because I'm enjoying finally picking out my own books after four years of uni! She doesn't seem very invested in it at all, there's little communication from her on there and she doesn't really comment on anything, even all of the responses on her apology post. I'm wondering if Ruby likes the idea of a book club rather than the reality, especially one in which people might criticise books she's enjoyed and romanticised.

Plenty of adults enjoy middle grade books, they're probably the most universal age bracket (like Disney and Pixar films are very much able to be enjoyed by all ages) but I feel like other adults don't approach middle grade as if they're the primary intended audience, whereas Ruby seems to approach them as if she is the specific intended age. She seems very much in the mindset of strongly relating to the young characters because they're at school but when I read middle grade, it's like I'm reading about a younger sibling/cousin/niece or nephew kind of thing.

Reactions: 14
I really wish she'd get a part time job of some description, she has way too much time on her hands! It would do her good!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Some of these comments are ridiculous. Poyrot, or whatever tf she said, is not even the english pronunciation anyway? The english pronunciation would just be pwah-ro but with a hard R instead of rolling it. She wasn’t even close, shes just completely butchered his name hahah
7D6BFE87-EDC6-44C8-A781-16483A96DEE8.jpeg

I am so confused as to how she has never heard of poirot????
This. He's not exactly a niche character? I may be biased because I grew up with Poirot and his series (books and films, thank you Mr. Suchet) are such a comfort to me and he's definitiely a favourite. I'm about a decade older than Ruby though, so I don't know if this lack of knowledge regarding Poirot is a universal thing for her generation or just her not having heard of him before.

Some of these comments are ridiculous. Poyrot, or whatever tf she said, is not even the english pronunciation anyway? The english pronunciation would just be pwah-ro but with a hard R instead of rolling it. She wasn’t even close, shes just completely butchered his name hahah View attachment 365272
I don't know what kind of an idiot the person who wrote these comments is but I am really hoping the OP is like 10 years old otherwise it's concerning that the pride in ignorance is this strong. You pronounce someone's name however it's supposed to be pronounced, it's not a multiple choice "however you damn well please" series of options, wtf.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
I had to comment on this (third image) because it's ridiculous the influence she has over impressionable viewers :( I wish they knew that they don't have to live up to the expectations that these youtubers set. I keep seeing so many commenters expressing how disappointed they feel because they can't read as much as Ruby.
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 8.49.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 8.47.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 8.20.27 PM.png

Reactions: 20
I’m not from the UK and even I know Poirot. It just shows again she lacks basic knowledge despite trying to portray herself as a bookworm.
I can’t with her brushing her teeth while reading, now she’s cooking porridge while holding book in other hand, it’s so so cringy. Not to mention her books must be really dirty from toothpaste and food ugh.

This might be crossing a line, and I’m certainly not suggesting this about Ruby, because I don’t think that her intentions are bad at all, but, can you imagine if it was someone else behaving in the way that she does? Deliberately appealing to a younger audience, trying to make herself look and act like a young child? Alarm bells would be ringing!

Reactions: 3
why the hell did her sister buy her a 5 year olds school summer dress for christmas? This family is beyond weird

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.