Ruby Granger #3 Call Me By My Scientific Names And I'll Still Play Children's Games

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Without commenting on her body, I stand by my point that all her behaviours are for show. If she was consistently eating as little as she shows and exercising as much as she is, and this has been going on for as long as she’s been showing it for, she’d be severely underweight by now.
I think this is a really harmful view towards people with eating disorders (of course, Ruby hasn't declared that she has an ED but I think it's safe to say she shows symptoms of disordered eating habits). People with EDs do not need to be underweight. Maybe her body metabolizes things differently, so she's not showing such rapid weight loss, maybe she binge eats, maybe we can't tell how much weight she's lost because of the type of clothing she wears.

Her eating habits greatly worry me, as well as her seeming romanization of being cold. Back when I struggled with an ED I used to dress inappropriately on purpose, with the mindset that when I was out I couldn't put something on anyway, so I'd be burning extra calories. I worry this is what's happening here. With the tea drinking also, I would drink lots of tea to feel full and to drink something with a taste but with no calories. In her newest video in the beginning she also seems to chew for such a long time, because it's sped up you can't tell exactly obviously but it really seems excessive. Another thing that people with EDs do.
It's very concerning that this is what she's showing to her (mainly young) audience.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Everything she does feels so, so performative and fake. She's wearing way baggier clothes now and has stopped concealing her undereye circles. It's like she WANTS to be perceived as ill.

Reactions: 16
I think this is a really harmful view towards people with eating disorders (of course, Ruby hasn't declared that she has an ED but I think it's safe to say she shows symptoms of disordered eating habits). People with EDs do not need to be underweight. Maybe her body metabolizes things differently, so she's not showing such rapid weight loss, maybe she binge eats, maybe we can't tell how much weight she's lost because of the type of clothing she wears.
And conversely, people who are underweight do not necessarily have eating disorders. I think the relationship you have with food is an entirely different matter than your weight. I eat like a builder and I'm always hungry but I am also underweight. I had a friend who at school had a very unhealthy relationship with food (although she was never formally diagnosed), skipped meals like Ruby does, but never 'looked' ill or skinnier than before.
The thing is, considering all the books she reads about EDs, there's no way she doesn't know how problematic her behaviour is. At this point it almost looks like she's doing it on purpose. I have no experience whatsoever with EDs so I might be wrong but I don't think people who suffer from them want others to notice that they have a problem with food? So it's weird that Ruby is going out of her way to include these red flags in her videos. And it's also a terrible example for her mainly young audience who look up to her as the queen of productivity and wholesomeness and might try to replicate her behaviour. This is very serious imo.

Reactions: 12
Something to remember is that she's pretty much always eaten quite small portions. This video's from 2018 and she eats about as much food now as she did then (obviously we don't know what she eats off camera, she could be eating more or less)

Reactions: 1
Everything she does feels so, so performative and fake. She's wearing way baggier clothes now and has stopped concealing her undereye circles. It's like she WANTS to be perceived as ill.
I think perhaps she does. Because if you are ill, you get to stay at home and be looked after, and people don’t expect you to be out in the world, looking after yourself and taking on adult responsibilities. There’s a lot going on with Ruby and if I were her parents, I’d be a bit concerned.

Reactions: 15

Her eating habits greatly worry me, as well as her seeming romanization of being cold. Back when I struggled with an ED I used to dress inappropriately on purpose, with the mindset that when I was out I couldn't put something on anyway, so I'd be burning extra calories. I worry this is what's happening here. With the tea drinking also, I would drink lots of tea to feel full and to drink something with a taste but with no calories. In her newest video in the beginning she also seems to chew for such a long time, because it's sped up you can't tell exactly obviously but it really seems excessive. Another thing that people with EDs do.
It's very concerning that this is what she's showing to her (mainly young) audience.
I have an eating disorder so know all about not having to be underweight, EDNOS/OSFED etc, but it's pretty clear Ruby is deliberately trying to mislead people after doing high levels of research into specifically anorexia.Not saying she doesn't have food issues or a different ED, and either way what she's doing is certainly unhealthy. But at the end of the day it is very odd to extensively research anorexia, repetitively talk about things you know would be symptoms based on your research, and show low quantity's of food and a high quantity of exercise which just doesn't really add up. Whatever her intentions are it's just another unhealthy thing she is exhibiting to a young audience. I think she sees it as part of the perfectionist studier 'aesthetic' which is the stereotypical anorexic.

Whatever's going on I hope she continues therapy, and stops showing her easily influenced audience such disordered habits no matter how real they are.

ETA: The comment about weight was purely that if what she says regarding food and exercise was true she most likely, bar an unlikely medical issue, would be severely underweight by now. The fact she's not suggests she's very selective with what she says and shows in her videos regarding this, and if it wasn't for her research on the topic I probably wouldn't suggest she's trying to mislead her audience to suggest anorexia, but it does seem to be a bit of a coincidence. Along with what pp said regarding her darker eye circles, clothes to look smaller etc. I agree with what you say regarding staying cold as a behaviour, but I'm also going to assume you didn't repeatedly tell everyone how cold you are? She says it at least once in multiple videos and even has a video themed around being cold!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I have an eating disorder so know all about not having to be underweight, EDNOS/OSFED etc, but it's pretty clear Ruby is deliberately trying to mislead people after doing high levels of research into specifically anorexia.Not saying she doesn't have food issues or a different ED, and either way what she's doing is certainly unhealthy. But at the end of the day it is very odd to extensively research anorexia, repetitively talk about things you know would be symptoms based on your research, and show low quantity's of food and a high quantity of exercise which just doesn't really add up. Whatever her intentions are it's just another unhealthy thing she is exhibiting to a young audience. I think she sees it as part of the perfectionist studier 'aesthetic' which is the stereotypical anorexic.

Whatever's going on I hope she continues therapy, and stops showing her easily influenced audience such disordered habits no matter how real they are.

ETA: The comment about weight was purely that if what she says regarding food and exercise was true she most likely, bar an unlikely medical issue, would be severely underweight by now. The fact she's not suggests she's very selective with what she says and shows in her videos regarding this, and if it wasn't for her research on the topic I probably wouldn't suggest she's trying to mislead her audience to suggest anorexia, but it does seem to be a bit of a coincidence. Along with what pp said regarding her darker eye circles, clothes to look smaller etc. I agree with what you say regarding staying cold as a behaviour, but I'm also going to assume you didn't repeatedly tell everyone how cold you are? She says it at least once in multiple videos and even has a video themed around being cold!
Hmm, I guess you’re right. However with this being a bit performative, I personally remember liking talking about how cold I am because people would say “oh it’s because you’re so thin” or “it’s because you eat so little” and that would give me signs that I was being successful. I don’t know, obviously my experience may not be the standard and I absolutely do not want to speak for everyone, but maybe this is sort of the “praise” she’s hoping for.

However on a slightly different note, I really hope that she won’t read these discussions on here, because I think if she really does have an ED it could be quite damaging to read that (in your mind obviously) you’re not doing “good” enough. I hope she gets some help.

Reactions: 6
Hmm, I guess you’re right. However with this being a bit performative, I personally remember liking talking about how cold I am because people would say “oh it’s because you’re so thin” or “it’s because you eat so little” and that would give me signs that I was being successful. I don’t know, obviously my experience may not be the standard and I absolutely do not want to speak for everyone, but maybe this is sort of the “praise” she’s hoping for.

However on a slightly different note, I really hope that she won’t read these discussions on here, because I think if she really does have an ED it could be quite damaging to read that (in your mind obviously) you’re not doing “good” enough. I hope she gets some help.
I can relate to that and agree with the dilemma that we have: we want to share our concerns but are scared of fuelling something dangerous.

Don't get the cottage core obsession? I think jts like she's read the phrase somewhere and is desperately trying to fit it in. And trying to hard to make it country core with the classical music and outside shots.

Ruby love... you live in a big draughty house... it’s January in the UK... instead of moaning you feel the cold shivering in a thin frock and blanket huddling over a gas coal fire....

put some cozy joggers, a jumper and some slipper socks on!!

I live in an ex council house in the frozen north. Working from home I’m in more layers than there are in a blinking STRUDEL. And a hat and gloves!
Giving yourself chilblains or croup is not ✨AesTheTic ✨

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Ugh, I just cannot bear the idea of turning pages with woollen gloves on in the cold for aesthetic. I got a fingernail-scraping-on-blackboard sensation seeing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Ruby love... you live in a big draughty house... it’s January in the UK... instead of moaning you feel the cold shivering in a thin frock and blanket huddling over a gas coal fire....

put some cozy joggers, a jumper and some slipper socks on!!

I live in an ex council house in the frozen north. Working from home I’m in more layers than there are in a blinking STRUDEL. And a hat and gloves!
Giving yourself chilblains or croup is not ✨AesTheTic ✨
I live in northern Italy (so I'm pretty sure it's actually less cold than in the UK) and I basically spent the winter and most of the autumn huddled in a blanket, with an electric heated pad to warm my hands, and in like 3 layers at least. I hate being cold. And cozy clothes and a nice blanket to wrap yourself up with are like the best things about the winter. I don't get Ruby at all.
Even some of her fans in the comments pointed out how absurd it is that she complains about the cold while doing absolutely nothing to stay warm.

Reactions: 3
Something to remember is that she's pretty much always eaten quite small portions. This video's from 2018 and she eats about as much food now as she did then (obviously we don't know what she eats off camera, she could be eating more or less)
Just wanted to stop by and mention how I like the photograph of Ruby in the thumbnail of the video. She actually looks like a young woman enjoying a meal / drink and not like the rigid Victorian child impersonator that she seems to aim for nowadays. No mention of productivity in the title, a picture where she doesn't seem tense and rigid starring at a book and a top that actually suits her age. Gosh, she has collarbones! It looks very cute on her! That's the spirit I would like to feel with her more often. Just have some funn, let loose, enjoy! Life is sometimes supposed to be fun as well.

Reactions: 4
I live in northern Italy (so I'm pretty sure it's actually less cold than in the UK) and I basically spent the winter and most of the autumn huddled in a blanket, with an electric heated pad to warm my hands, and in like 3 layers at least. I hate being cold. And cozy clothes and a nice blanket to wrap yourself up with are like the best things about the winter. I don't get Ruby at all.
Even some of her fans in the comments pointed out how absurd it is that she complains about the cold while doing absolutely nothing to stay warm.
Her house looks like the kind of old fashioned building that is permanently freezing as well!

Don't get the cottage core obsession? I think jts like she's read the phrase somewhere and is desperately trying to fit it in. And trying to hard to make it country core with the classical music and outside shots.
And when she read the extract from the book and was like "It's SO light academia...I think". NO, it's just a passage about books, not everything has to fit a bloody aesthetic, Ruby.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
And when she read the extract from the book and was like "It's SO light academia...I think". NO, it's just a passage about books, not everything has to fit a bloody aesthetic, Ruby.
That part was so cringy. "I think" CUT.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Yes, she absolutely reads to check it off her list and to prove she's a 'bookworm' - it's all about the numbers to her and challenging herself to consume a set number of books in a day/week/year. Also, as many have said a good amount of the books she reads are middle grade, children's novels. Which, for an English literature student, you would think she would have acquired a taste for more mature topics instead of reading a little princess yet again. Some of her bookreads reviews also look to be pretty basic and simplistic. Again, I feel like English Lit isn't really something that fits her, it seems more like a role she's playing for her channel. I do watch a few booktubers and comparing them to Ruby makes her seem very young because she never really goes in-depth with the books she reads, probably because she was in such a hurry she wasn't able to fully absorb the content or get to know the characters. I don't care how many books she reads in a year, what does she get out of it? That's what should matter. Some people have little time to read so much and have to really ration what they do read. She seems to just want to rush through a book so she can add it to her list as another book she's read that year.
This quote by M.J. Adler sums it up perfectly:
"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you."

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I've read that book and know it quite well and the bit she read does fit in but you would only know that if you knew the books.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.