Ruby Granger #22 I can’t relate to Sun Tzu, and neither should you.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The thing is, if Ruby wants to support young people and take on some kind of mentorship role, I’m pretty sure there are all kinds of legitimate avenues to do that, not least those that she could get involved in through her university. There are all kinds of volunteering opportunities out there where Ruby could work with young people in a safe and professionally managed way (assuming that she actually does want to work with young people and this isn’t another of her ways of continuing to be a child …) However, once again Ruby goes off half-cocked, displaying her naïveté for all the world to see.
There are definitely loads of worthy avenues out there for youth mentorship, however I don't think Ruby has that in mind -- I think she wants to be friends with younger people, not have an authority or leader role over them.

Reactions: 12
I think one of the biggest problems with Ruby encouraging young kids to give out personal information is that it implies that this is somewhat normal information to share with someone who is essentially a stranger on the internet.

Not saying that Ruby would do this at all, but the amount of Youtubers I watched as a teenager who I later found out groomed children is terrifying. I strongly believe influencers have a responsibility to create boundaries between them and their audience, especially if the audience is considerably younger than them. I hate to think that kids might think it's normal to have private conversations with adults on the Internet and later repeat this with an influencer with much more unsavoury intentions.
Definitely. I don't think she's grooming kids for sexual purposes for one second either, but there's a million and one reasons why adults shouldn't be interacting in private with kids online.

Given that we know Ruby has an obsessive interest in being a kid again - her buying a child's bed, dressing like a kid, reading an unhealthy amount of kid's literature, starving herself in part to look like a kid, and so on - her striking up private conversations and friendly relationships with children so she can relive her own childhood is Michael Jackson-level weird and creepy. Ruby inviting children to come have a sleepover at her dusty underwater manor, and even pay for the privilege, is something I can all too easily envision.

There's a power imbalance between influencers and fans, and between adults and children, and Ruby is on the advantaged side of both issues. She earns her living on social media and spends all her time online - she should 100% be aware of this. Factor in, like people have mentioned, Ruby encouraging children to pay to interact with her and it becomes even more dodgy.

Ruby will clearly do anything for money, lie about anything and is never honest about her products, so I would not be shocked for one second to learn that she'd been encouraging kids too young to know better to buy overpriced things they don't need with their parent's credit card. Hell, she does that in the open already.

And Ruby encourages dangerously unhealthy habits online constantly in public. I dread to think what she's recommending children eat in private. This is why influencer-fan interaction should be done in the open, especially when young or vulnerable fans are involved - so that people can see what wildly stupid, dangeous and irresponsible tit she's telling people and immediately nip it in the bud, fact-check her lies and point out to people that there's another side to her questionable advice and obvious bullshit.

So far she's shown that she's been writing to fans, engaging in personal calls with viewers and sending them gifts - all unsupervised. This tit is off-the-charts stupid, wrong and weird. There's a professional way to interact with fans, and this ain't it.

Her Peter Pan complex is not a reason or an excuse for such staggering stupidity. It's no reason or excuse to be soliciting the personal information of children online and starting private interactions with them to become friends. It's a major red flag and another reason she should be in therapy.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Definitely. I don't think she's grooming kids for sexual purposes for one second either, but there's a million and one reasons why adults shouldn't be interacting in private with kids online.

Given that we know Ruby has an obsessive interest in being a kid again - her buying a child's bed, dressing like a kid, reading an unhealthy amount of kid's literature, starving herself in part to look like a kid, and so on - her striking up private conversations and friendly relationships with children so she can relive her own childhood is Michael Jackson-level weird and creepy. Ruby inviting children to come have a sleepover at her dusty underwater manor, and even pay for the privilege, is something I can all too easily envision.

There's a power imbalance between influencers and fans, and between adults and children, and Ruby is on the advantaged side of both issues. She earns her living on social media and spends all her time online - she should 100% be aware of this. Factor in, like people have mentioned, Ruby encouraging children to pay to interact with her and it becomes even more dodgy.

Ruby will clearly do anything for money, lie about anything and is never honest about her products, so I would not be shocked for one second to learn that she'd been encouraging kids too young to know better to buy overpriced things they don't need with their parent's credit card. Hell, she does that in the open already.

And Ruby encourages dangerously unhealthy habits online constantly in public. I dread to think what she's recommending children eat in private. This is why influencer-fan interaction should be done in the open, especially when young or vulnerable fans are involved - so that people can see what wildly stupid, dangeous and irresponsible tit she's telling people and immediately nip it in the bud, fact-check her lies and point out to people that there's another side to her questionable advice and obvious bullshit.

So far she's shown that she's been writing to fans, engaging in personal calls with viewers and sending them gifts - all unsupervised. This tit is off-the-charts stupid, wrong and weird. There's a professional way to interact with fans, and this ain't it.

Her Peter Pan complex is not a reason or an excuse for such staggering stupidity. It's no reason or excuse to be soliciting the personal information of children online and starting private interactions with them to become friends. It's a major red flag and another reason she should be in therapy.
Absolutely right about the power dynamic - para-social relationships can be intense, especially when it's children consuming the content, and Ruby's inviting a whole new level of intensity and questionable ethics to the scenario.

God forbid one of these children she writes to makes an allegation against her - whether it's a true claim or not, Ruby's actions would not make her look good.

Reactions: 12
She’s been reading again 😂

View attachment 982680
1) who tf is Lavinia
2) what tf is that quote
3) if the letters HAD been sent, we would still have the manuscripts to put in the book alongside the transcriptions, you absolute moron.
Out of all the brilliant quotes from that letter, she really chose a god awful one. Clearly she just scanned the text for a line that looked sophisticated without any comprehension at all and ran away with it and took pride in being a smart ass on Goodreads. I'm nowhere near the UK but I'm willing to bet you a tenner.

Reactions: 4
She’s been reading again 😂

View attachment 982680
1) who tf is Lavinia
2) what tf is that quote
3) if the letters HAD been sent, we would still have the manuscripts to put in the book alongside the transcriptions, you absolute moron.
As well as the unquantifiable levels of stupid on display in her "review", this is yet another review that gives zero details, opinion or indication that she read the book.

This is basically: "[Random, incoherently-transcribed quote] This book is a collection of words. If the author did not write the words, then we would not have the book. The End."

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I’d be more than willing to write to the relevant body about what she does but I don’t feel knowledgeable enough to know quite what to say. What I do know is that it is both truly disturbing that she is asking for details from children, and then using her company to access their personal details, and also that she seemingly has no concept of how unusual it is to want to write to anonymous children - how would she use her big long words and why is she wanting any information at all since it’s all about Ruby?! Even her outfit (well, one of the many she wore in whatever day it was) looked like she was trying to emulate a school uniform. It’s so messed up and if she weren’t female, it would appear really creepy (which makes me wonder to myself why I don’t see it as creepy for a woman). Tldr I just despair!
I've been wondering about this. The problem is that unless it breaks any regulations there's nothing you can do. Although I bet it does break something I can't put it into words for making a complaint.

Standard consumer behaviour here is to contact the company to flag up any data queries/ concerns. It's only if they don't address them in a timely fashion/ you're not satisfied with how they do it that you can complain to the relevant body/bodies.

Reactions: 5
I’v always wondered why Ruby doesn’t seem to have read Brideshead Revisited. I would have thought she’d be all over that like catnip, given how much of it is about Oxford and posh people (not criticising, I’ve read it and enjoyed it but it is full of plover’s eggs and teddy bears with ridiculous names and is full of the kind of things that the modern-day university tries to distance itself from). I’d also love it if she read something like Jill by Philip Larkin, just to see how badly she misses the point …
Well, to begin with, it is over 100 pages in length, and it's not about magic trees or tuck boxes or talking animals. It also involves the protagonist doing absolutely zero work while he is at Oggsford, and then - horror of horrors - dropping out of Macdemia, to go to awful ART COLLEGE with common people. And what's worse: the art college is abroad! YUCK! I can't imagine Rooby managing to get through the scenes where Mr Samgrass, the absurd Don, is humiliated, or would she be able to stomach The Old Hundred Club. Although she would certainly enjoy the fact that Brideshead Flyte still lives at home when he is in his 40s.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I don’t think Ruby wants to work with the type of kids who are generally on the receiving end of volunteer projects like that. She doesn’t want tutor an underprivileged kid who’s fallen behind in math, she wants to live vicariously through a middle to upper class tween girl who likes all the same things Ruby does.
She wants so desperately to be eleven again like Erimenthawful. She's just not sPeCiAl anymore now that she's a grown woman with responsibilities and a future to think about. She also likes being worshipped and praised and people her own age are far more likely to see through her.

Reactions: 19
I don’t think Ruby wants to work with the type of kids who are generally on the receiving end of volunteer projects like that. She doesn’t want tutor an underprivileged kid who’s fallen behind in math, she wants to live vicariously through a middle to upper class tween girl who likes all the same things Ruby does.

She wants so desperately to be eleven again like Erimenthawful. She's just not sPeCiAl anymore now that she's a grown woman with responsibilities and a future to think about. She also likes being worshipped and praised and people her own age are far more likely to see through her.
I think the disdain she's always showed for her peers shows that she knows children wouldn't respect her as a teacher. She'll treat her YouTube audience like she's the teacher and the watchers are the students, but only because the commenters hang onto her every word (regardless of whether it makes sense, it's correct, etc...). But the real world isn't like that - young children can be the most brutal, and she'd never cope. She'd never make efforts to help young children if she couldn't make herself the main character in the process.

Reactions: 10
I find it concerning that this isn't the first time concerns have been raised re: Ruby and young children.

The form is just weird. If people are chosen at random, why on earth are all those questions needed. & if it's to promote Pumpkin Shitrovosy, then use it that way; "come by a rubbish planner, receive it 5 months later, AND you may be in with a chance to get a present from me".

It's just odd.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Last winter when our heater broke, we had to wait for two days to get another heater, and none of us, not even my grandmother, felt as cold during those two days as this old lady. 😂

• Haha
Ruby read 5 books this year which is equal to ~1090 pages.
I am on my third book, which is equal to ~1189 pages (I am yet to complete it).

For someone who loves reading, Ruby sure knows how to take shortcuts.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
View attachment 983499

Last winter when our heater broke, we had to wait for two days to get another heater, and none of us, not even my grandmother, felt as cold during those two days as this old lady. 😂
Ruby, stood next to an erupting volcano: "It's VERY cold, and not nearly as dusty as I'm accustomed to."

Ruby read 5 books this year which is equal to ~1090 pages.
I am on my third book, which is equal to ~1189 pages (I am yet to complete it).

For someone who loves reading, Ruby sure knows how to take shortcuts.
And that's if you believe that she actually read them...

8b58cece35c69564779672109ea433f6_w200.gif

(P.S. She totally didn't.)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Baby Jane.jpg

Right here is an image of Rooby's future. Living with her friend Blakeney into her twilight years and still twirling, wondering why the people who loved her as a child do not love her as an adult.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Out of all the brilliant quotes from that letter, she really chose a god awful one. Clearly she just scanned the text for a line that looked sophisticated without any comprehension at all and ran away with it and took pride in being a smart ass on Goodreads. I'm nowhere near the UK but I'm willing to bet you a tenner.
She just really likes the dashes.

This isn't a joke -- she made a whole video once as part of a short-lived studytube collaboration short lecture thing (the wooden spoon? jade and jack were involved in it -- if i remember correctly) about the dash -- and how it's far superior to a hyphen -- or some weird tit along those lines -- that made absolutely no sense --.

And also remember how half her report after her internship transcribing that poet's letters -- went on and on about how she thought his exclamation marks looked like semi-colons -- and how fascinated she was that we was eventually able to figure out they were exclamation marks?

Just fixating on the weirdest details -- there's reading between the lines and then there's Ruby reading between the punctuation marks.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
(the wooden spoon? jade and jack were involved in it -- if i remember correctly)
Oh, god, I'd almost forgotten about that. 40 minutes of inane, rambling drivel, nonsensical analogies and self-congratulatory wankery from four self-important "high-achievers" who somehow spent an entire episode showing that they didn’t undertand the definition of the word "reactive".

• Haha
UUUUUGH is anyone here in uni in the UK? Do you know if it is exam season or when it will be over? when can we expect a new Rubmas video to be analyzed by GG? We have no "contant" people this is not a drill
I go to Ex - exams are over by the end of this week but we have quite a lot of deadlines in early Jan!

Also to add - Timetables are up again from the 17th so she should be back by then

Reactions: 6
She just really likes the dashes.

This isn't a joke -- she made a whole video once as part of a short-lived studytube collaboration short lecture thing (the wooden spoon? jade and jack were involved in it -- if i remember correctly) about the dash -- and how it's far superior to a hyphen -- or some weird tit along those lines -- that made absolutely no sense --.

And also remember how half her report after her internship transcribing that poet's letters -- went on and on about how she thought his exclamation marks looked like semi-colons -- and how fascinated she was that we was eventually able to figure out they were exclamation marks?

Just fixating on the weirdest details -- there's reading between the lines and then there's Ruby reading between the punctuation marks.
That was the StudyTube Project - it was meant to 'help' GCSE and A level students during lockdown in 2020, and every studytuber at the time wanted to be part of it - which basically consisted of most of them making very niche videos about their special interests without any reference to the National Curriculum or syllabi of school qualifications.

I think Jack took credit initially for being the lead founder, but not sure if that's a claim he makes now. Edit: It's on Jack's LinkedIn that he calls himself '1 of 18 Founders'.

Link here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgqGpYjhnWvhE5-QrmXLkoQ/videos
The last upload was in October 2020, so quite clearly defunct now.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.