Ruby Granger #22 I can’t relate to Sun Tzu, and neither should you.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read them last year and I'm almost 30.
As long as I read widely and diversely, I don't see any problem in reading a childrens/middle grade book/series every once in a while.
same here! I am 28 years old and I still enjoy reading these books! they were sad little books for sad little children that grew up to become sad little adults :cool: roobelita gives looking back at things you enjoyed as a kid and helped you form, and even maybe find support and understatement that you wouldn't get otherwise, and occasionally pick them up to comfort that child and show them how far they came, a REALLY bad name. damn

Reactions: 11
100% agree that it's fine to read childhood books as an adult. I think we just find it strange and telling that, despite being an English lit student and self-professed bookworm, Ruby only seems to genuinely like kids' books. I still have quite a few books from my childhood. There's one called 'Journey to the River Sea' that I think Ruby would like because it's set during the Edwardian Period and the story begins at an exclusive girls' school (it gets more interesting when main character is sent to live with relatives in Manaus).
I’ve always liked Eva Ibbotson’s novels 🙂 I read a lot of children’s literature and came to some of my favourite authors through their novels for children and young adults. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with reading children’s books as an adult and I think we all probably have children’s books that we still read uncritically, even as an adult, so it doesn’t bother me that Ruby has favourite children’s books that she reads over and over. However I do agree that Ruby only really seems to like children’s books and even with children’s books, she never goes outside of her comfort zone. Again, I think it’s part of her Peter Pan thing that she has going on. She reads them because she still wants to be a child and they’re ‘safe’, and she doesn’t really seem to read much else outside of the stuff she has to read for her degree. I’m not judging as maybe she’s busy, but to me it seems at odds with her bookworm persona. She clearly loves to own books but seems much less keen on reading them.

Reactions: 7
It's The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart with Alycia Debnam-Carey as Alice.

The book is an absolute masterpiece, it's the kind you cancel everything you can to keep on reading because not knowing what happens next is torturous. It's difficult to explain unless you've seen any of Alycia's previous work or you've read the book, but I'd be amazed if she isn't completely perfect in the lead role- ironically because of her eccentricity (in a non-Rubee-like, creepy way). But it has the potential to be taken completely out of context and reduced to the whole cottagecore aesthetic thing. I really hope I'm wrong because I love the book too much to see it hijacked for that trend, there's so much more to it than the aesthetics. But I wouldn't be surprised if Rubee latches onto it and bombards us with Alice Hart booklooks frolicking through fields and develops a sudden interest in flowers come October. (Child Alice only, obviously.)
I've just searched for the book on Amazon, sounds really good. I've put it on my tbr list, thanks for the recommendation! :)

Reactions: 3
Attempting to moderate, tone policing, or telling people what to post is against the rules, please report, keep scrolling or ignore a user - Please read our rules and why they're important
OT but please can we try to avoid autism talk - I know myself and multiple other autistic people on here have expressed our discomfort a few times now.

I know it's always done with good intentions but speculating about such a personal matter on a gossip forum is inappropriate. A lot of the speculation is also based off an ignorant understanding of the autism spectrum and how it effects others (which is nobody's fault!) and it's been uncomfortable for us since it started. I really don't mean to come off as over-sensitive, but it's kinda tiring to have to deal with misinformation on a daily basis as well as on here.

1. If Ruby is autistic, it is not our business and should have no place in a gossip forum if true.

2. Being socially anxious / introverted doesn't mean you're autistic. Having few friends doesn't mean you're autistic. Being an obnoxious moron doesn't make you autistic.

3. To add, if anything her going home incessantly makes it less likely. We pretty universally don't like constant change, and moving between home and uni every 5 mins would be an autistic's nightmare.

Again, I hope this doesn't sound super over-sensitive or rude, and it isn't targeted at anyone in particular! I've just seen this addressed multiple times before by myself and others ❤

It's The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart with Alycia Debnam-Carey as Alice.

The book is an absolute masterpiece, it's the kind you cancel everything you can to keep on reading because not knowing what happens next is torturous. It's difficult to explain unless you've seen any of Alycia's previous work or you've read the book, but I'd be amazed if she isn't completely perfect in the lead role- ironically because of her eccentricity (in a non-Rubee-like, creepy way). But it has the potential to be taken completely out of context and reduced to the whole cottagecore aesthetic thing. I really hope I'm wrong because I love the book too much to see it hijacked for that trend, there's so much more to it than the aesthetics. But I wouldn't be surprised if Rubee latches onto it and bombards us with Alice Hart booklooks frolicking through fields and develops a sudden interest in flowers come October. (Child Alice only, obviously.)
I just started this book on your recommendation and may I just point out the first sentence:
„In the weatherboard house at the end of the lane, nine-year-old Alice Hart sat at her desk by the window and dreamed of ways to set her father on fire.“
Picture me wildly gesticulating towards Ruby lighting yet another precariously balanced candle next to her flammable curtains.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I have to agree with everyone saying that it's fine to read children's books as an adult as long as that isn't the only thing you're constantly reading (as Ruby seems to do) I've even seem some booktubers recommend middle grade novels with real (not ruby type) reviews. I think also sometimes when you are in a certain age range you may not have access to all of the books in a series you love at that time. I read a lot of Babysitter's club and Goosebumps books when I was younger but also read a lot as an adult due to the fact I didn't have access to much of the series. But then again I don't think Ruby has much.... difficulty when it comes to accessibility so lmao.

Reactions: 8

Did Roobee actually write three more books?? And why are they about murderous children?? :oops: That's gotta be someone else right?!?!?!

319WB2hHMSL.jpg
41vIHh9cgyL.jpg
41CodmubLnL.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
What makes her think she's capable of writing about children who kill? In most cases, they either suffered extreme abuse, or had a mental disorder. Sometimes the disorder itself is caused by the abuse. She doesn't have the knowledge or the sensitivity to write about this topic.

Isn't her audience like. 13 year olds and younger?

Does she think this will make her appear more grown-up or was she researching how to feel like a child again? I'm genuinely offended.

Second book is about love and grief? wtf is going on? Edit: the cover looks like a wattpad fanfiction cover

Reactions: 1
What makes her think she's capable of writing about children who kill? In most cases, they either suffered extreme abuse, or had a mental disorder. Sometimes the disorder itself is caused by the abuse. She doesn't have the knowledge or the sensitivity to write about this topic.

Isn't her audience like. 13 year olds and younger?

Does she think this will make her appear more grown-up or was she researching how to feel like a child again? I'm genuinely offended.

Second book is about love and grief? wtf is going on? Edit: the cover looks like a wattpad fanfiction cover
It's just another self-published author with the same name, it's not Ruby.

Reactions: 23
It's just another self-published author with the same name, it's not Ruby.
It definitely took a second glance for me at first too; Ruby's name on the cover, books about children, a book co-starring the rain, recycled content and covers across two books...this author definitely has some things in common with Ruby!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
It definitely took a second glance for me at first too; Ruby's name on the cover, books about children, a book co-starring the rain, recycled content and covers across two books...this author definitely has some things in common with Ruby!
That’s a relief! I was actually worried.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I've just searched for the book on Amazon, sounds really good. I've put it on my tbr list, thanks for the recommendation! :)
Oh amazing! It's a really beautiful story- as Rubee would say, it's my very favourite 😉

I just started this book on your recommendation and may I just point out the first sentence:

Picture me wildly gesticulating towards Ruby lighting yet another precariously balanced candle next to her flammable curtains.
You see what I mean? Lots of haphazard use of fire and lots of reference to Victorian flower language and some minor passing nods to Alice in Wonderland... the potential for Rubee exploitation is immense :( I'm desperately hoping Alycia Debnam-Carey's fanbase will put her off making the Amazon Prime series her autumn personality trait. I can't see them welcoming her with open arms, and I can't particularly see them being the kind of people Rubee the innocent child would want to associate herself with either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Oh, sorry! Sleep deprivation makes reading comprehension difficult. I'm sorry.
You are quite right about why children kill though - abuse has usually taken place. And the child perpetrator usually has been living in an environment of extreme chaos.

For adult serial killers - there is usually evidence that the individual has, at some time or another, sustained a head injury or other cerebral trauma.

Reactions: 2
I mean... reading is meant to be a hobby you enjoy. Saying people can only read children's books if they read a variety of other genres too is a bit much. Who are we to police what people can enjoy in their own free time?

Reactions: 17
Little bit off topic... I was curious about the radio programme that Clare presents and decided to have a listen to part of it. Setting aside the fact I wouldn't say she 'presents' the show, she revealed that she's just read Mantel's 'An Experiment in Love' (plot spoiler): the protagonist has anorexia but it's never explicitly mentioned.
If this is how they discuss books at home then this explains a lot about Rube's goodreads reviews.

A teaser quote in case you have better things to do than listen to the show: "the sentences were so long, and they were so... I think the word is prosaic, so they're full of... prose".

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
A teaser quote in case you have better things to do than listen to the show: "the sentences were so long, and they were so... I think the word is prosaic, so they're full of... prose".
Huh? I didn't know anything about a radio show. Is that sentence an actual quote? Please say it isn't. 😆

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
I mean... reading is meant to be a hobby you enjoy. Saying people can only read children's books if they read a variety of other genres too is a bit much. Who are we to police what people can enjoy in their own free time?
People can do whatever they like with their time as long as it's not hurting themself or anyone else.

In Ruby's case, she reads exclusively children's books as part of a wider obsession with being a child again. And since that seems to be very clearly feeding into (no pun intended) her dangerous weight loss, ED habits and compulsions that stunt her emotional growth in every way, that's an issue. People are right to be critical of it.

When a grown adult only reads children's books and also sleeps in a child's bed, dresses like a child, acts like a child, starves themself in an effort to look like a child, has their parents chauffeur and chaperone them everywhere to feel more like a child, does everything they can to make-believe that they're a 12 year old at boading school, has child penpals and tapes pictures of children all over their room like a shrine, that's gone far past the limit of being a harmless hobby and deep into the realms of obsessively harmful and intensely creepy.

And then on the other side of it, Ruby reads exclusively children's books but lies about it. She often tells people she reads hundreds of varied grown-up books a year, brags about it how much of a bookworm she is, and allows impressionable young people and children to feel bad about themselves because of it (see the constant "Ruby's reading a dozen books a week and I can’t even finish one because I'm so crap and lazy, I wish I could be like her!" comments).

She's an influencer lying about what she does and who she is to feel intellectually superior to other people when in reality she won't read anything with a recommended reading age above 11. People are right to criticize her for it. She needs to grow up in every conceivable way.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.