Ruby Granger #18 Still no deal with Waterstones but half her food was mailed from home

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This just came up on my Twitter and I couldn’t help but think Ruby would absolutely die if she saw this or if any of these paintings could possibly be included in the “women reading” calendar 😂 It’s stuff like this that do make me kind of realise just how sheltered she seems though, most people her age can just see “ha that’s funny but also it’s just boobs we move on” Ruby would probably try and report the image, get it censored or taken down and need a week off social media to recover her sanity (obviously this is all just general assumption from what she’s put out concerning other topics on social media)

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 5
No way would she walk away with more than a 2:2 if she handed in 10,000 words of prose on a par with Erimentally Unstable.
A 2:2? You are in a generous mood!

To be fair to Ruby, the one good thing about Erimentha is - if you strike out all the excessively descriptive passages, such as the shoehorned similes/metaphors - that the prose has a good pace to it and reads well. And that's a skill that can't easily be acquired. But that's the only positive. It is crammed full of awkward descriptive passages that jar the reader; has a weak plot with bland characters; and there's the fatal flaw of it clearly being written to make her feel good about herself via the endless fawning over Erimentha and never-ending comparisons with lesser beings who like lipstick and popular music and don't laminate lists of books they mustn't let themselves read never ever ever. I'd have sympathies with Ruby if she wrote this when she was 14 as part of therapy to get over bullying. It's not what I'd expect from a 17-18 year old applying to study English Literature, and if it came from a 21 year old as their final year dissertation, I...don't think I'd give it a 2:2.

Maybe if she reworked it as a coming of age story where Erimentha realized her own flaws, a little like Emma, but I can't see that happening.

If Ruby is reading this, please take it down for your own sake. We all write bad novels when we are kids (I definitely wrote some shockers that I thought at the time were Booker worthy and yet were probably far worse than Erimentha) but...we don't usually put them online for sale and have future employers - or if you're applying for your masters university tutors - see them and assume we must still believe good writing looks like that.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
This just came up on my Twitter and I couldn’t help but think Ruby would absolutely die if she saw this or if any of these paintings could possibly be included in the “women reading” calendar 😂 It’s stuff like this that do make me kind of realise just how sheltered she seems though, most people her age can just see “ha that’s funny but also it’s just boobs we move on” Ruby would probably try and report the image, get it censored or taken down and need a week off social media to recover her sanity (obviously this is all just general assumption from what she’s put out concerning other topics on social media)
omg me trying to get my mans attention whilst also remaining intellectual

• Haha
Reactions: 27
In the UK, only certain subjects have the oral exam element of a dissertation (the viva), and is usually associated with defending a doctoral thesis.
Here it's expected for all levels and all courses, but I actually got to skip that part when I graduated in July. Due to Covid the whole thing was held over Microsoft Teams, and since there were a lot of people graduating in that session they decided to just assess the dissertations without hearing our presentations. We were quite relieved to be honest lol

Reactions: 1
Poor blackney Ruby is off surfing and she is probably stuck with a fridge of mouldy vegetables that Ruby just abandoned
Like when she left piles of recycling in her room last year when she ran home

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
A 2:2? You are in a generous mood!
Well, a 2:2 at best - her uni seems awfully generous with her grades despite her clearly limited ability. But yeah, I think the pacing and style of Erimentha was probably the result of her imitating lots of middle-grade fiction like The Clique and Jacqueline Wilson that she'd been reading a lot of at the time.

Now I suspect she'd try to rip off Dickens or hand in 10,000 words of bottom-tier Emily Dickinson knock-off poetry to try to impress her tutors. And if she did that, I think she'd be better off just handing in 100 blank pages smeared with human tit.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I think Ruby’s school was more of a good girls day school turning out well mannered accomplished posh girls rather than true academics tbh
Not that it makes much of a difference but I don't think Ruby went to private school. I swear I saw somewhere that she went to an all girls grammar school feel free to correct me though.

Not that it makes much of a difference but I don't think Ruby went to private school. I swear I saw somewhere that she went to an all girls grammar school feel free to correct me though.
No she went to a day school (private school with no boarding option) I won’t post what it is, but I’m very familiar with it given the job I used to do and they turn a lot of girls out like ruby

Reactions: 6
She defo went to private school, I’m sure she’s put the name of it out at some point as well

Reactions: 2
She defo went to private school, I’m sure she’s put the name of it out at some point as well
Yeah it was on her LinkedIn for ages against a prize she won, under the bit where it said she was withholding her school’s name for privacy reasons 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 10
No she went to a day school (private school with no boarding option) I won’t post what it is, but I’m very familiar with it given the job I used to do and they turn a lot of girls out like ruby
More gossip please :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1
I'm taking a Victorian course at the moment and we are talking about the New Woman/ females embracing their sexual desire, masturbation, gay anal sex/ Bunburying, etc. Ruby would faint. How does she avoid these "taboo" topics in her very favourite subject?

Reactions: 14
Oh I agree Rubee doing a creative writing project as her dissertation would be a disaster- isn’t her creative writing module she did in first year the only module she hasn’t averaged a 1st on? But I’m not convinced Rubee herself realises that. It’s National novel writing month this month- I wouldn’t put it past her to try to churn out an entire middle grade Christmas Victorian orphan extravaganza by December. When I did my dissertation, competitive early finishing was a huge thing.
She's definitely won't have realised it herself, even though she has ample experience failing at it in different ways.

She tried NaNoWriMo last year and didn't complete it (and, unsurprisingly, didn't know how to pronounce it, either, even though it's pretty self-explanatory). Predictably, it was a Dark Macademia novel and the only sample she showed was a paragraph with obvious punctuation errors in which a character (presumably a grown-up Erimentha) berated another for not finishing their mundane chores quick enough and being competitive about it. Undoubtedly this try-hard fuckwit would've been the hero of her story.

But NaNoWriMo is completely at odds with her rigid schedule of pointless busywork, so she was scheduling 30-45 minute slots per day and maxed out at 31,000 words for the month.

If she took as long as she needed to hit the daily word count, she'd have to skip an hour of writing her eleventh to-do list of the day and would undoubtedly cry about how stressed and overworked she is in several letters home to her mother.

It's another reason why creative writing would be a disaster for her, and she's just not suited for doing it academically or professionally. With a regular dissertation, she can at least incorporate that into her compulsive need to do a new thing every 15-60 minutes to give herself the placebo effect of multi-tasking productivity, and flit between writing, critical reading/research, etc.

Reactions: 6
The thing is, I've written some really bad stuff when I was 15 or 16 as well, but I don't put it up for the world to see, let alone promote it (on goodreads it was I think?). When you write, old work, especially teenage fiction, is supposed to embarrass you somewhat because you've probably, hopefully improved by now...

Reactions: 11
The private school she went to was where the local rich girls who didn’t get into the state grammar school went. In the sixth form, some would then transfer to the grammar if they proved to be very academic. I went to the grammar and so had friends who transferred over and when I went out with them and their friends from Ruby’s old school…I don’t even know how to describe them. Big fish in tiny ponds, very rich, and pretty clueless about the real world. And very egocentric. Not just the schools doing, but a combination of family and school and from what I know of them now, they’ve mostly drifted in life, but with money.

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.