Ruby Granger #18 Still no deal with Waterstones but half her food was mailed from home

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But Ruby doesn't practice nor does she have anything interesting to say. Saying she's 'always writing a book' is another way for her to seem productive and give her young fans unrealistic expectations.
Yeah, Ruby isn't and doesn't want to be a writer from the looks of it. Dreaming out loud about being an author just fits her fabricated dark macadamia bookworm persona.

But she's just not wired for it. I don't see how any writer can be good at what they do when their writing sessions are rigidly planned in 15 minute sessions once a day and when they show no signs of growth or improvement in anything they do or any desire to develop as a person.

There's that famous expression, "Writing is rewriting" but Ruby (as evidenced by her error-filled first and only book) doesn't want to proofread, revise and rewrite things to improve her work and her craft. She thinks she can nail everything first try, when that's not how writing works.

And while you can certainly write stories without being a voracious reader, any successful author will recommend that reading, reading and more reading is one of the crucial elements to being a good or great writer, to get wider experience of language as a tool, different structures, form, tropes and so on. Ruby only pretends to read most things.

If she wanted to be a writer that much and have her work read by people, she'd have embraced self-publishing. Self-publishing no longer has the stigma attached compared to traditional publishing and is now a viable way to succeed as an author.

She has a big platform for self-promotion, a baked-in fanbase and a PR firm who already work for her. That's the major problems of self-publishing taken care of. But despite supposedly writing a book every day for years, she's never talked about it, never done a video about her writing process, and never done anything with her writing after the negative response to Erimentitled Parker. And I'm sure she believes that the lukewarm reception to that book had nothing to do with it being a poorly-written, unedited mess of a vanity project.

Now she wants the stereotypical gold trophy of a traditional publishing deal but doesn't want to devote the time, work, self-awareness or the self-improvement to being good enough. Actually working at writing would take too much time away from her compulsive "productivity" busywork. She just wants success and praise to fall in her lap because she's semi-famous.

if this is her teasing she's dropped out, she's the worst at it. not as if her fans would criticize anything she does though.
She also says meaningful purpose is doing things for others.

Ruby has never been anything but self-serving, but I could easily see her spinning a "I needed to go back home to support my family through a difficult time" story to try to justify going back home again.

"This story is hard to talk about, but we need to normalise discusing these things. On Tuesday, I was speaking to my mother for my 12th hourly phone call back home to ask if the courier had delivered my second letter of the day to her. She suddenly sighed with frustration and mentioned having a headache, and I could tell something was wrong.

I asked what was the trouble, but she seemed cagey, and then mentioned that she couldn't find anything amongst all the gifted tea that litters our house.

It quickly became clear that my mother was struggling to cope alone and this must be empty nest syndrome. It was clear I needed to go back home for her. When I told her I'd be coming home, all she could do was cry uncontrollably. And even though she was screaming, "Oh god no! Don't do that! Not again, I can't cope with this again!" I could tell this was just her selflessly trying to stop me from putting my uni work on hold for her.

But meaningful purpose means dropping out of uni to move back home when other people can't cope without you around."

• Haha
Reactions: 27
At this point, not one of her excuses and arguments would honestly surprise me, she isn't coping with her current lifestyle at all and it really shows in her online presence

Also, does anybody else on here remember how she went about her first-year announcement that she was changing uni courses? I remember her really hyping up the video, posting on Instagram what a big deal this news was to her and how she expects so many of her viewers to be shocked and even disappointed once they knew what it was for an entire week before even posting the thing... She even made a countdown to its release in her stories and premiered it! To me, the clickbaitiness of that whole ordeal really showed how calculating she could be. Do we think something similar might happen to her inevitable "I'm dropping out of uni?!? (taking a year out Q&A) II cottagecore dark academia sabbatical stationery haul #AD #gifted"?

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 22
It's a GWR train, they run pretty much every service out of Exeter, unless she's going to London Waterlook (SWR) or beyond Bristol/the Cotswolds/London (those would be Cross Country)
So she's going somewhere in the South, probably home, it's not a local service to North Devon as those still have older interiors

Reactions: 3
Also, does anybody else on here remember how she went about her first-year announcement that she was changing uni courses? I remember her really hyping up the video, posting on Instagram what a big deal this news was to her and how she expects so many of her viewers to be shocked and even disappointed once they knew what it was for an entire week before even posting the thing... She even made a countdown to its release in her stories and premiered it! To me, the clickbaitiness of that whole ordeal really showed how calculating she could be. Do we think something similar might happen to her inevitable "I'm dropping out of uni?!? (taking a year out Q&A) II cottagecore dark academia sabbatical stationery haul #AD #gifted"?
The whole 'I've dropped out of my course' debacle was pretty embarrassing quite frankly. Transferring courses =/= dropping out, and she really thought people would be as invested in her decisions as she was (sure, some stans might be, but not the casual viewer).

Reactions: 20
She could be going back to Exeter after spending time at home - I thought she said recently that she only had lectures on Mondays and Fridays?

Reactions: 2
The whole 'I've dropped out of my course' debacle was pretty embarrassing quite frankly. Transferring courses =/= dropping out, and she really thought people would be as invested in her decisions as she was (sure, some stans might be, but not the casual viewer).
Exactly! Plus, I think the feedback from her most devoted followers would be much the same had she just said "I decided to switch uni courses, I'm still very nervous about it but ultimately, it feels like the right choice for me" instead of that overly dramatic show of faux secrecy and implied rebrand

Reactions: 9
the ruby time line confuses me so much when she uploads on youtube vs her insta stories never match up. Honestly you could tell me she's in Timbuktu right now and I'd believe you

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Not sure what you mean by this...?

Sure, some people are naturally more talented, but can't everyone improve by practicing if they have something interesting to say?
I guess it depends what you like to read. But I'm gonna do a very simple example: pick a book by Lemony Snicket. Any one. Then imagine this book written in a very descriptive pov way. With good syntax and grammar and beautiful words tho. Same story and all. Do you think it would be as enjoyable?
That's what I mean by that.
Good authors have to improve and practice too. Maybe you can become good by practice alone, you know, trump destiny or whatever (not that I believe in that stuff). Some people have a lil something that make them good at it, that's all.

At this point, not one of her excuses and arguments would honestly surprise me, she isn't coping with her current lifestyle at all and it really shows in her online presence

Well obviously. When your whole life is about productivity, your failures also have to be used as a tool for growth of your business. Of course she's gonna do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Ruby is reminding me more and more of someone I knew at uni. This girl got firsts in pretty much everything you touched until she got to her dissertation, which she came out of with a 62. She was distraught and wanted to appeal it, even though she still got a first overall.

One of the lecturers encouraged her to apply for a PhD before her dissertation grade, which she took to mean they wanted her to do the research project (it was one of those for which they advertise a project to apply to do rather than inviting candidates to apply with their own research proposal, if that makes sense). She basically went into the interview thinking she already had the PhD place. She didn’t get it and the world ended. She went around telling everyone how unfair it was for the department to encourage her to apply if they weren’t going to give it to her, before eventually getting a place on a grad scheme. They extended her probation period instead of making her permanent straight away because they felt she needed her hand holding too much, constantly wanted validation, was too overly friendly with senior colleagues, took far too long to complete every task they set her etc. At the end of the probation extension, they let her go.

I hope she doesn’t, but I can see Ruby going the same way.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
That whole ”meaningful purpose” tit? Just watch, she’s going to cite all the ass-kissing ”thank you for saying it’s okay not to want to drink or do drugs omg” comments on her last video, drop out of uni and spin it as ”I have a platform to do so much good, it’s my mission to be a full-time influencer” 😂😂😂
edit: I‘m going to be a party pooper though and point out that if she was indeed moving back home for good, she wouldn’t be taking the train. The amount of crap she’s amassed can only fit in a campervan-sized conveyance.
edit 2: any more synonyms for excrement I can fit in this comment?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Well obviously. When your whole life is about productivity, your failures also have to be used as a tool for growth of your business. Of course she's gonna do that.
True, but it still strikes a viewer as odd since she's always applauded as being so authentic and real by her fans. Besides, aside from her sponsored content and her Pumpkin Productivity brand, Ruby herself doesn't really treat her channel as a business venture given her inconsistencies in providing content and her erratic (to put it mildly) upload schedule. To be honest, she wants to hide her obviously more-than-sufficient YouTube income as much as possible, so as to still seem relatable to her (probably) mostly not as well-off audience. We saw that in her cottage video that she deleted as soon as she saw it painted her in a certain light that many people found at odds with her online persona. Of course this "important announcement" type of audience manipulation is much more subtle, but right now, her content just looks like she's desperately searching for a way out of this personal productivity inferno she's trapped herself in.

Reactions: 4
But I'm gonna do a very simple example: pick a book by Lemony Snicket. Any one. Then imagine this book written in a very descriptive pov way. With good syntax and grammar and beautiful words tho. Same story and all. Do you think it would be as enjoyable?
Tell that to Tolkien lol. You don't think he could have made an epic story out of that material?

Reactions: 7
I guess it depends what you like to read. But I'm gonna do a very simple example: pick a book by Lemony Snicket. Any one. Then imagine this book written in a very descriptive pov way. With good syntax and grammar and beautiful words tho. Same story and all. Do you think it would be as enjoyable?
Good authors have to improve and practice too. Maybe you can become good by practice alone, you know, trump destiny or whatever (not that I believe in that stuff). Some people have a lil something that make them good at it, that's all.
Different writers have different styles, doesn't mean one is better than the other

Reactions: 11
I know a few people have said that they think Blakeney must be quite relieved that Ruby goes home so much… but what if she isn’t?

Ruby did a video only weeks ago, stating that she wanted to “appreciate Blakeney” and make the most of being able to live with her best friend… how does she square that circle with going home every weekend? With saying that every day she’s at Uni, she wishes she were home? How is that supposed to make her best friend feel?!

What’s more, it’s not like they were living with other people (which is typical for many 2nd/final years students). It’s just two of them, and that means whenever she is home she is leaving her best friend in an empty house. While it may be nice for Blakeney to “have her own space” (and perhaps a break from “fort rules”, ceremonial tea parties and day long study groups). Does she want that every weekend? Or even mid-week, judging by Ruby’s stories.

IMO it is incredibly selfish. I admit I haven’t watched the video, but did Ruby actually mention Blakeney and how she feels about it?

Reactions: 14
Different writers have different styles, doesn't mean one is better than the other
Ruby's style is just objectively bad. No one outside her fandom is going to think "this person is an author, I want to read more." Heck, even Rupi Kaur has more potential.

I know a few people have said that they think Blakeney must be quite relieved that Ruby goes home so much… but what if she isn’t?

Ruby did a video only weeks ago, stating that she wanted to “appreciate Blakeney” and make the most of being able to live with her best friend… how does she square that circle with going home every weekend? With saying that every day she’s at Uni, she wishes she were home? How is that supposed to make her best friend feel?!

What’s more, it’s not like they were living with other people (which is typical for many 2nd/final years students). It’s just two of them, and that means whenever she is home she is leaving her best friend in an empty house. While it may be nice for Blakeney to “have her own space” (and perhaps a break from “fort rules”, ceremonial tea parties and day long study groups). Does she want that every weekend? Or even mid-week, judging by Ruby’s stories.

IMO it is incredibly selfish. I admit I haven’t watched the video, but did Ruby actually mention Blakeney and how she feels about it?
I had a crappy roommate and was so glad to find her gone (ran home to her grandma's, never tells me when she's going or coming back) when I came back from class. I would throw my feet up, blare some bad TV, and order takeout. Blakeney probably does the same. Meanwhile Rubes is thinking "What is dear Blakeney going to do without me?? Oh well, time to play house with mummy."

Reactions: 9
I don’t understand why she starts these incoherent, long winded, ‘realisation’ stories and then cuts herself off half way through??
‘I’ve come to the realisation that realising is no more than realising that a realisation is somethi-‘
*…no other story for five hours*

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.