Ruby Granger #18 Still no deal with Waterstones but half her food was mailed from home

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t understand why she starts these incoherent, long winded, ‘realisation’ stories and then cuts herself off half way through??
‘I’ve come to the realisation that realising is no more than realising that a realisation is somethi-‘
*…no other story for five hours*
malnutrition

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
If I was Blakeney I’d be relieved Ruby goes home so often as I’d be over the moon to have the place to myself and also just be out of her clutches for a few days so often.

I would however be a little annoyed about it.As someone who goes home so often, Ruby should’ve continued to live alone.Blakeney could’ve found flatmates who she would have been able to spend much more valuable time with.

Reactions: 16
I would however be a little annoyed about it.As someone who goes home so often, Ruby should’ve continued to live alone.Blakeney could’ve found flatmates who she would have been able to spend much more valuable time with.
Agreed. If Blakeney wanted to live alone, she would have moved into a studio flat. She clearly wanted a social scene in the house, but she can't get that consistently if Ruby isn't there. During my degree, I was planning to move in with just 1 of my friends, but backed out when my friend announced that they would be doing a semester abroad and I'd therefore have to live by myself for 4 months+ in a house that we had only reserved thinking that both of us would live there full-time (it was in a rough-ish, lonely area and I wouldn't have felt safe living alone there).

Reactions: 9
Something that’s been bugging me for a while- does anyone else remember that video of dissertation prep over the summer in which Rubee showed her notion notes for ‘projects I can do instead of dissertation?’ Turns out at Exeter, English Lit students can opt to do a creative writing dissertation instead. From the English Lit course outline: “possible project forms include an extract from a novel, a sequence of short stories, a collection of poetry, a combination of poetry and prose or a screenplay.”

Could it be she’s considering doing that instead?

Can someone explain to me what is this dissertation she's been so stressed about and why it's so important?
From what I understand, it's like a project you do at the end of your bachelor degree or smt, that's worth a lot.

Reactions: 1
Can someone explain to me what is this dissertation she's been so stressed about and why it's so important?
From what I understand, it's like a project you do at the end of your bachelor degree or smt, that's worth a lot.
It's your big research project that shows off your interest in a subject in your area. Generally it's around 10k words, so it's a very long essay that shows off how well you know the topic.

Reactions: 6
Essentially you pick a topic or a research question and you analyze it in a long-ish "essay". Mine was about 60 pages long and comprised 3 chapters, an introduction and a conclusion. The project is supervised by a professor who teaches the subject you've chosen for your topic.
It's probably different in the UK but in Italy you then have to present your thesis to a board of teachers and receive a score which goes towards your final grade, along with your GPA.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Essentially you pick a topic or a research question and you analyze it in a long-ish "essay". Mine was about 60 pages long and comprised 3 chapters, an introduction and a conclusion. The project is supervised by a professor who teaches the subject you've chosen for your topic.
It's probably different in the UK but in Italy you then have to present your thesis to a board of teachers and receive a score which goes towards your final grade, along with your GPA.
The problem in the UK is a lot of unis can give you a tutor that doesn’t know about the subject you’ve picked, I’ve known of some people get tutors that aren’t even the same department never mind interested in that area of research. But I don’t anyone who’s had to present theirs, usually it’s submitted and marked by one main tutor and then another tutor gives it a second look.

Reactions: 2
If I was Blakeney I’d be relieved Ruby goes home so often as I’d be over the moon to have the place to myself and also just be out of her clutches for a few days so often.

Ruby's practically paying not to be there 1/3 of the time.

Reactions: 1
In the UK, only certain subjects have the oral exam element of a dissertation (the viva), and is usually associated with defending a doctoral thesis.

Ruby's practically paying not to be there 1/3 of the time.
Exactly (not that she can't afford it), not to mention the time lost through travelling/packing/settling back in when she keeps coming backwards and forwards from home that could be used for studying.

Reactions: 4
Something that’s been bugging me for a while- does anyone else remember that video of dissertation prep over the summer in which Rubee showed her notion notes for ‘projects I can do instead of dissertation?’ Turns out at Exeter, English Lit students can opt to do a creative writing dissertation instead. From the English Lit course outline: “possible project forms include an extract from a novel, a sequence of short stories, a collection of poetry, a combination of poetry and prose or a screenplay.”

She'd still struggle, because she didn't choose a science subject and grading in humanities is subjective. You'd think for someone so obsessed with getting A*/100%/firsts, she'd go for an area where she can actually achieve those scores with rote memorization.

Reactions: 11
She'd still struggle, because she didn't choose a science subject and grading in humanities is subjective. You'd think for someone so obsessed with getting A*/100%/firsts, she'd go for an area where she can actually achieve those scores with rote memorization.
Yeah I always wondered why she didn’t take a more sciencey career route tbh as she isn’t very creative. I think the reason is because she seems to lack logic and critical thinking skills, and once you get past school it’s not so much about memorization at all.

Reactions: 7
Yeah I always wondered why she didn’t take a more sciencey career route tbh as she isn’t very creative. I think the reason is because she seems to lack logic and critical thinking skills, and once you get past school it’s not so much about memorization at all.
I'm convinced she only chose English Literature because Emma Watson studied it.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
But that's true for any university subject. Unless she picked a trade. But God knows that little princess Roobee can't work like peasants do

But that's true for any university subject. Unless she picked a trade. But God knows that little princess Roobee can't work like peasants do
Just realized she wouldn't be able to cope with this either because it involves several attempts and failures until you get it right. She's simply not suited for life beyond a high school level.

Reactions: 4
Agreed. If Blakeney wanted to live alone, she would have moved into a studio flat. She clearly wanted a social scene in the house, but she can't get that consistently if Ruby isn't there. During my degree, I was planning to move in with just 1 of my friends, but backed out when my friend announced that they would be doing a semester abroad and I'd therefore have to live by myself for 4 months+ in a house that we had only reserved thinking that both of us would live there full-time (it was in a rough-ish, lonely area and I wouldn't have felt safe living alone there).
Tbf I do know a lot of people who end up sharing because they couldn't afford to live alone. Living in one room is pretty grim and I spent so much of my 20s with at least one housemate, basically because a one bedroom house was out of my price range 😂 so Blakeney may have been in that situation. I think you're right though that she seems like a pretty social person and she obviously likes Ruby enough to want to live with her, so it must be disappointing to her that Ruby isn't even living properly at the student house.

Reactions: 7

If she had even the slightest amount of common sense and self-awareness, she'd avoid that option like the plague. She clearly knows how to game the system and construct an essay to get a high grade, and has a lot of experience doing that.

If she listens to her personal tutors and works with them to come up with a relevant dissertation topic instead of the barely-relevant Victorian nonsense she's been trying to shoehorn in, she'll be in a solid position to write something that'll score her a solid 2:1 at least.

Naturally, she'll be unhappy with anything that's not the highest first, but a dissertation is a much safer bet for her than writing fiction. Judging by Erimentha and the poetry samples she's shown, she would be absolutely crucified if she did a third year creative writing assignment. No way would she walk away with more than a 2:2 if she handed in 10,000 words of prose on a par with Erimentally Unstable.

Reactions: 14
I'm convinced she only chose English Literature because Emma Watson studied it.
She did it cos she's sUcH a BoOkWoRm and everybody knows English Lit is only about (pretending to be) reading so many books especially really really old books and no creative or original thought at all it's just about cultivating an aesthetic bookshelf and drinking ceremonial tea whilst reading antique books that are falling apart.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
If she had even the slightest amount of common sense and self-awareness, she'd avoid that option like the plague. She clearly knows how to game the system and construct an essay to get a high grade, and has a lot of experience doing that.

If she listens to her personal tutors and works with them to come up with a relevant dissertation topic instead of the barely-relevant Victorian nonsense she's been trying to shoehorn in, she'll be in a solid position to write something that'll score her a solid 2:1 at least.

Naturally, she'll be unhappy with anything that's not the highest first, but a dissertation is a much safer bet for her than writing fiction. Judging by Erimentha and the poetry samples she's shown, she would be absolutely crucified if she did a third year creative writing assignment. No way would she walk away with more than a 2:2 if she handed in 10,000 words of prose on a par with Erimentally Unstable.
Oh I agree Rubee doing a creative writing project as her dissertation would be a disaster- isn’t her creative writing module she did in first year the only module she hasn’t averaged a 1st on? But I’m not convinced Rubee herself realises that. It’s National novel writing month this month- I wouldn’t put it past her to try to churn out an entire middle grade Christmas Victorian orphan extravaganza by December. When I did my dissertation, competitive early finishing was a huge thing.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.