Ruby Granger #16 Rooberoy Lockhart, author of ”Erimenthal Me”

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ruby will just be amazed how the paper she blue tacked to her kitchen cupboards has fallen off and how dust has appeared.
I just hope she hasn't left a pile of rubbish there all summer like she did when she left last time
I genuinely NEED to see how dead the plants she bought are.

Reactions: 9
and how dust has appeared.
I just hope she hasn't left a pile of rubbish there all summer like she did when she left last time
Her uni house looking like a disused, dusty hovel full of filth and squalor will only make her feel more at home.

Reactions: 1
If anyone fancies a change in tone and something to laugh at, here is a round up of Erimentha's house points that I promised ages ago (in some discussion about whether Ruby/Erimentha obsessed over getting more points than others) At least the ones I was able to search for, since Ruby keeps changing how they are spelled or referred to, and there's no way I am reading that book again.

1 House Point on her first day of school for knowing globalisation is relevant to Geography. The teacher asks everyone to say one thing that they associate with Geography so they can be added to a mindmap on the board. Erimentha's 11 year old "peers" suggest "weather", and "the environment", and "rivers". Erimentha mentally sneers at these suggestions as "fairly general." It persuades her to lower her standards to the depths of her peers and merely say "globalization" instead of her original plan to say: "the sustainable city of Curitiba".

Yes, really. I'm not joking about that. Those are quotes. And at no point does Erimentha realize that "the sustainable city of Curitiba" might have been a tad too specific for a mindmap about Geography, and that maybe her "peers" had the right approach.

When she says "globalization", Erimentha tells the reader that the teacher "falters", as if in shock. The teacher then makes the fatal error of asking Erimentha if she knows what globalization is. You can imagine what comes next, and it involves at least one "Did you know...". Kimberley later follows up with the suggestion of "green" because "it's the colour of the textbook". No house point (or housepoint) for Kimberley!

1 House Point for doing a "sixteen-page hand-illustrated" booklet about hurricanes over the summer. Erimentha is so proud of this work that she has photocopied it to give to Juliet. The reader is just expected to guess who Juliet is. She is never introduced, something Ruby failed to notice when either writing this or cutting stuff.

1 House Point for doing a particularly obnoxious first year Hermione impression. The long-suffering Mr Aldridge asks the class if anyone knows who Oliver Cromwell is. Erimentha does! Unfortunately, since she's already answered a lot of questions already, Mr Aldridge cruelly does not pick her. Even though Erimentha's "hand shoots up diligently, straightening so quickly that a shudder passes through my left arm."

Another girl (Amy) answers but Erimentha doesn't think Amy's answer is good enough so she lifts her "hand even higher to the ceiling, almost standing up out of my seat". Mr Aldridge laughs at this spectacle, but he still lets Erimentha recite to the class a memorised encyclopedia entry. It would have been kinder to let Erimentha know afterwards that she is behaving like an attention-seeking prat, but he's long lost the will to live so he just gives her a housepoint. Poor Amy.

1 House Point for being a shining example to her peers by getting changed into her PE kit before the rest of those slackers even arrived. After having a quick solo jog, Erimentha even finds time to be judgmental (actually, she always finds time for that) and describes her peers' chatter as they arrive as "meaningless talk of weekend plans and television shows." How awful. She also hears Kimberly's "sly voice diffracting around the hill." That Kimberley, always...diffracting.

The teacher turns up and praises Erimentha for being ready and gives her a house point for "that speedy changing". Erimentha notes that her "peers" are sniggering at her.

3 points for criticizing and fixing Mr Aldridge's decorations. In her first class, Erimentha observes that Mr Aldridge has decorated his classroom with a large timeline stretching around the walls. Erimentha, however, expects better from her teachers, and this shoddy effort does not meet her standards. She mentally sneers at how it is computer generated and "pixelated", and she also thinks it looks like a rushed job. She decides unilaterally without asking him (or even informing him) to hand-make him a new one ("I expect he'll appreciate my efforts") since he's put up posters done by other kids. Later on in the year, Erimentha produces her new timeline and hands it to him. An exhausted Mr Aldridge decides to thank her and give her 3 points rather than sitting her down and suggesting maybe she considers asking first next time before forcing her help on someone.

Erimentha thinks about how proud she now feels about herself... until she finds a note saying that this was "a new low" even for her. She folds it and adds it to her Evidence File on Kimberley.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
If anyone fancies a change in tone and something to laugh at, here is a round up of Erimentha's house points that I promised ages ago (in some discussion about whether Ruby/Erimentha obsessed over getting more points than others) At least the ones I was able to search for, since Ruby keeps changing how they are spelled or referred to, and there's no way I am reading that book again.

1 House Point on her first day of school for knowing globalisation is relevant to Geography. The teacher asks everyone to say one thing that they associate with Geography so they can be added to a mindmap on the board. Erimentha's 11 year old "peers" suggest "weather", and "the environment", and "rivers". Erimentha mentally sneers at these suggestions as "fairly general." It persuades to lower her standards to the depths of her peers and merely say "globalization" instead of her original plan to say: "the sustainable city of Curitiba".

Yes, really. I'm not joking about that. Those are quotes. And at no point does Erimentha realize that "the sustainable city of Curitiba" might have been a tad too specific for a mindmap about Geography, and that maybe her "peers" had the right approach.

When she says "globalization", Erimentha tells the reader that the teacher "falters", as if in shock. The teacher then makes the fatal error of asking Erimentha if she knows what globalization is. You can imagine what comes next, and it involves at least one "Did you know...". Kimberley later follows up with the suggestion of "green" because "it's the colour of the textbook". No house point (or housepoint) for Kimberley!

1 House Point for doing a "sixteen-page hand-illustrated" booklet about hurricanes over the summer. Erimentha is so proud of this work that she has photocopied it to give to Juliet. The reader is just expected to guess who Juliet is. She is never introduced, something Ruby failed to notice when either writing this or cutting stuff.

1 House Point for doing a particularly obnoxious first year Hermione impression. The long-suffering Mr Aldridge asks the class if anyone knows who Oliver Cromwell is. Erimentha does! Unfortunately, since she's already answered a lot of questions already, Mr Aldridge cruelly does not pick her. Even though Erimentha's "hand shoots up diligently, straightening so quickly that a shudder passes through my left arm."

Another girl (Amy) answers but Erimentha doesn't think Amy's answer is good enough so she lifts her "hand even higher to the ceiling, almost standing up out of my seat". Mr Aldridge laughs at this spectacle, but he still lets Erimentha recite to the class a memorised encyclopedia entry. It would have been kinder to let Erimentha know afterwards that she is behaving like an attention-seeking prat, but he's long lost the will to live so he just gives her a housepoint. Poor Amy.

1 House Point for being a shining example to her peers by getting changed into her PE kit before the rest of those slackers even arrived. After having a quick solo jog, Erimentha even finds time to be judgmental (actually, she always finds time for that) and describes her peers' chatter as they arrive as "meaningless talk of weekend plans and television shows." How awful. She also hears Kimberly's "sly voice diffracting around the hill." That Kimberley, always...diffracting.

The teacher turns up and praises Erimentha for being ready and gives her a house point for "that speedy changing". Erimentha notes that her "peers" are sniggering at her.

3 points for criticizing and fixing Mr Aldridge's decorations. In her first class, Erimentha observes that Mr Aldridge has decorated his classroom with a large timeline stretching around the walls. Erimentha, however, expects better from her teachers, and this shoddy effort does not meet her standards. She mentally sneers at how it is computer generated and "pixelated", and she also thinks it looks like a rushed job. She decides unilaterally without asking him (or even informing him) to hand-make him a new one ("I expect he'll appreciate my efforts") since he's put up posters done by other kids. Later on in the year, Erimentha produces her new timeline and hands it to him. An exhausted Mr Aldridge decides to thank her and give her 3 points rather than sitting her down and suggesting maybe she considers asking first next time before forcing her help on someone.

Erimentha thinks about how proud she now feels about herself... until she finds a note saying that this was "a new low" even for her. She folds it and adds it to her Evidence File on Kimberley.
It’s very curious that she expects none of her ”peers” would know about ”the sustainable city of Curitiba”, since a quick google immediately led me to this: https://www.coolgeography.co.uk/A-level/AQA/Year 13/World Cities/Sustainability/Curitiba.htm - it says ”geography” and ”A-level” in the very url itself, so I would expect even the thickest of her peers to have somehow stumbled upon this - who knows, maybe it was even taught in class? 😱

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, she’s a blithering idiot. And a low-effort one, at that.

Reactions: 7
Ugh, don't get me started on the diffraction of my peers... :rolleyes:

You have to appreciate how relatable that is. +1 point

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Ugh, don't get me started on the diffraction of my peers... :rolleyes:

You have to appreciate how relatable that is. +1 point
At some point, Ruby's going to realize she wasted her teenage years doing useless "productive" things instead of having fun.
Somewhere during year three of secondary school, I had the epiphany that I only had to not fail chemistry, math, french and physics, and that besides that, grades did not matter at all. And it was awesome. I remember all my teachers talking to me like it was concerning that I did not care more than that, like I was throwing away my future, and guess what? I had something like 78% average in french at the end of secondary school, and I would have been in the exact same place right now if I had gotten a 98%. Except I didn't burn out at 15 like some people in my program did. I remember reading an article about how studytubers are a perfect tool of late stage capitalism...

Here we go.

Reactions: 4
I do also wonder as today is the sad anniversary of 9/11 if she is keeping off Instagram as noone offered her a paid ad

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
It’s very curious that she expects none of her ”peers” would know about ”the sustainable city of Curitiba”, since a quick google immediately led me to this: https://www.coolgeography.co.uk/A-level/AQA/Year 13/World Cities/Sustainability/Curitiba.htm - it says ”geography” and ”A-level” in the very url itself, so I would expect even the thickest of her peers to have somehow stumbled upon this - who knows, maybe it was even taught in class? 😱

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, she’s a blithering idiot. And a low-effort one, at that.
Her peers haven't heard of this because they're 11 and haven't started A levels while Erimentha knows exactly everything 17 year old Ruby does

• Haha
Reactions: 20
At some point, Ruby's going to realize she wasted her teenage years doing useless "productive" things instead of having fun.
Somewhere during year three of secondary school, I had the epiphany that I only had to not fail chemistry, math, french and physics, and that besides that, grades did not matter at all. And it was awesome. I remember all my teachers talking to me like it was concerning that I did not care more than that, like I was throwing away my future, and guess what? I had something like 78% average in french at the end of secondary school, and I would have been in the exact same place right now if I had gotten a 98%. Except I didn't burn out at 15 like some people in my program did. I remember reading an article about how studytubers are a perfect tool of late stage capitalism...

Here we go.
I mean not everyone is satisfied with "not failing" lol like that's literally the bare minimum. You don't have to be obsessed like Ruby or on the verge of a mental breakdown to care more than that

Reactions: 14
I mean not everyone is satisfied with "not failing" lol like that's literally the bare minimum. You don't have to be obsessed like Ruby or on the verge of a mental breakdown to care more than that
My point exactly? I'm not saying you have to do the bare minimum. The education system is meant for a very specific type of inteligence, and the importance accorded to grades is stupid and really, really hurtful for the mental health of kids and teenagers. So many kids I went to school with had immense pressure from their parents (or themselves, to be honest) to get good grades, even if it doesn't matter that much in the end. We are taught to base our self worth on those numbers from a very young age, when school doesn't really test your intelligence, but your capacity to work for hours without complaining and never question authority. Those who achieve best get to highers levels and can become good workers for the elite.
And then people cry over numbers and burn out at 16 when they should be enjoying life instead. It's not something rare, you don't have to obsess as much as Ruby to experience it, most teenagers will experience anxiety over grades at some point in their life.

Reactions: 11
My point exactly? I'm not saying you have to do the bare minimum. The education system is meant for a very specific type of inteligence, and the importance accorded to grades is stupid and really, really hurtful for the mental health of kids and teenagers. So many kids I went to school with had immense pressure from their parents (or themselves, to be honest) to get good grades, even if it doesn't matter that much in the end. We are taught to base our self worth on those numbers from a very young age, when school doesn't really test your intelligence, but your capacity to work for hours without complaining and never question authority. Those who achieve best get to highers levels and can become good workers for the elite.
And then people cry over numbers and burn out at 16 when they should be enjoying life instead. It's not something rare, you don't have to obsess as much as Ruby to experience it, most teenagers will experience anxiety over grades at some point in their life.
To be 100% honest when people complain about the grade system and how stupid it is I kinda roll my eyes because it sounds like immature teenagers being dramatic because they watched Netflix instead of studying and got a bad grade

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
To be 100% honest when people complain about the grade system and how stupid it is I kinda roll my eyes because it sounds like immature teenagers being dramatic because they watched Netflix instead of studying and got a bad grade

I honestly don't even know what to answer to your point of view. That's what the system wants you to think, I guess, congrats on being a tool idk.

Reactions: 17

I honestly don't even know what to answer to your point of view. That's what the system wants you to think, I guess, congrats on being a tool idk.
I just don't see the point in relating grades to the "kind of intelligence" or lack thereof they're supposed to cater to. Like in my view grades don't 'reward' any particular kind of intelligence but rather knowledge, which is obviously gained through hard work (no one is born with innate knowledge in any subject).
All the intelligence in the world, of any kind, won't help you pass an English test if you don't know what the past form of 'to grow' is because you didn't work hard enough on irregular forms. Maybe you find certain subjects easier to grasp than others, I've always struggled less with languages and literature than I did math, doesn't mean I didn't put in the hard work in those subjects too though. How else are you going to gain the knowledge and abilities you need in order to succeed in a certain field?

• Sick
Reactions: 8
You are part of the problem. Instead of listening to what those teenagers are trying to tell you about whats wrong with the system you blame them for not doing good enough. There is a reason that so many teens struggle with school and mental health, maybe it IS because of social media etc, but the thing is that the school system does not follow the developments of the people they are trying to teach.

Reactions: 25
I mean, people study and still get bad grades for all sorts of reasons other than choosing to watch netflix over studying. Sometimes there are circumstances out of your control (e.g health issues, family problems, financial problems, grief), which will impact your grades and the system is hardly forgiving at the best of times.

Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.