Ruby Granger #14 Roobee with an E, style stolen from Blakeney, busywork = productivity

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Apologies for being off topic (or if this has already said), but am I the only fellow-book lover who is getting quite annoyed that Ruby will parade herself supporting independent and second hand bookshops on her Instagram, but she’ll prioritise putting “walking through corridors of books and the vanilla sweet smell of the pages” in the caption over, you know, the name of the fricking bookstore?! But Wittards, an international brand, she plasters the name everywhere 😂

The one in her latest reel is one I really like the look of their classics collection, but I have literally no clue what bookshop it is and they would have to graft for months to get the exposure of Ruby just popping their name in the caption, even if it’s after all of her romanticisation just at “Bookstore is …”, and she can’t even say security really because she’s positing this days after 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 34
Imagine if Ruby actually got into wine tasting. Maybe a new idea for content? Tea tasting doesn't really work for content because the flavour is literally written on the packet.

Reactions: 6
Imagine if Ruby actually got into wine tasting. Maybe a new idea for content? Tea tasting doesn't really work for content because the flavour is literally written on the packet.
I think you meant ethanol with grapes tasting

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Please don't judge for this lol but when my depression was at it's worst I was so desperate for something to do, however mundane, and to have an escape of sorts I started looking into the process of buying a house (idk why I had no savings or job) but I mean like really hyper focusing on it, finding out everything I could and I ended up filling a full notebook with it. I think Ruby is doing similar with her studying, it's obvious she loves learning and that's great but the extent she does it seems to be because she want's to avoid her feelings or something in her life she isn't happy with because in her mind who is she if she isn't learning or being productive, actual learning aside she seems to study and make lists because she's so fixated on it and feels like she has to do it as oppose to wanting to do it and by her own admission is un healthy with it. I do think underneath it all she's a sweet girl who's a bit lost atm and making some really bad choices, truly hope she can hold her self accountable for damage she's caused her younger viewers and heal properly off camera
i am partly with you, particularly as someone who has had an ED - I know that it turned me into a person I didn’t recognise, that my family didn’t recognise, and I can definitely relate to the obsessive behaviour. For me, it was also studying, alongside the school newspaper.

However, the one thing I CANNOT forgive with Ruby’s behaviour right now is the fact she is an “influencer” and has been called out. She KNOWS that people have been expressing concern over an ED, yet she is now posting outfit photos and food content more than ever.

It’s the same reason that I cannot forgive Eugenia Cooney for her content - however ill she may be. Because I know that if I had been in that position with 1000s if people following me online, I would have had enough awareness to avoid any outfit/food talk on social media. For Ruby, it’s even more striking because this NEVER USED TO BE the focus of her content! What’s more, there are so many videos and could have made in the past year that she didn’t - a video on each of her modules, a video about writing a novel even (whatever you think of her writing). But no. It’s more routines, more lists, more food.

This is also where I cannot forgive her parents. I know that she is an adult, but when you have a mental illness - particularly an ED - you do regress. I know that without my parents speaking up and calling me out, i would have been in denial for far longer. Yet the fact that her mum is sometimes in her IG photos, or I am assuming takes her other photos, she is complicit. And I cannot understand that.

Perhaps they see her YouTube as something “positive” for her, I don’t know, but it’s clear even from her own words that social media and this toxic productivity are BAD for her mental health. I’m sad that no one has pointed out the “to do list” contradiction in her recent post, where she admitted she needs a break from them. This whole situation is just so sad and - as I said - I can empathise with you in that I do feel she is very lost in herself.

What’s more, having lost the very degree she is doing to anorexia, six months out from graduation, at times I feel like I am watching my own history repeat itself and I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy. But I just cannot forgive how she continues to post content that her audience have SAID is concerning/triggering them.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
she could create a new WINEctorian series where she's dressed up like a victorian and tastes wine. Just to make her content less monotone.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Apologies for being off topic (or if this has already said), but am I the only fellow-book lover who is getting quite annoyed that Ruby will parade herself supporting independent and second hand bookshops on her Instagram, but she’ll prioritise putting “walking through corridors of books and the vanilla sweet smell of the pages” in the caption over, you know, the name of the fricking bookstore?! But Wittards, an international brand, she plasters the name everywhere 😂

The one in her latest reel is one I really like the look of their classics collection, but I have literally no clue what bookshop it is and they would have to graft for months to get the exposure of Ruby just popping their name in the caption, even if it’s after all of her romanticisation just at “Bookstore is …”, and she can’t even say security really because she’s positing this days after 🤷🏼‍♀️
omg i only just realised this was a direct quote of her post. She really said 'vanilla sweet smell of the pages'. Oh no! Thats so cringey.

Reactions: 13
In her latest post she directly links her bad mental health to the making of “to do lists”… I want to say “thank god she’s finally realised it!” But then I also think “she’s been promoting this kind of behaviour in her videos for years now, and more intensively than ever in recent weeks.
As was said above, I really do feel she is having a crisis of identity. It’s really sad to see, as her whole life online has become so performative - and also how she constantly seeks approval from her audience, asking what content she’d like to see.
The irony is that she is obviously connecting her drop in views to her content/how she is, so thinks she needs to put on a persona to appeal to people. Yet I have a feeling that this is exactly why people (like me) are turning away. Because we see how inauthentic it is.

The endless the focus on aesthetics, which is antithetical to her former appeal to be true to yourself. I do believe that she was once true to that; yes, some people could see it as a bit obnoxious, but as someone who wasn’t hugely into things “typical teenagers/young adults” were I found it a breath of fresh air!

Now, however, I feel that she’s becoming a parody of her old self - a far more extreme version. I can’t recall her ever using to do lists/motion as much as she does now! I feel like, as has been said, she did have more balance before in her life.

It’s truly sad to watch and I can only pray the comments become frequent enough re her weight loss/mental health that she can’t simply ignore them. Then again, I think about Eugenia Cooney and how she still posts on YouTube. So I don’t have much hope 😞
Honestly? If her to do lists (which consist mainly of busywork) stress her out before her final year at uni has even started she NEEDS to sort out her priorities and take a break NOW otherwise she's going to go downhill with her thesis project. I wrote my MA thesis whilst juggling three jobs to pay rent, my to do list was massive every day and I almost cracked. I can't imagine what Ruby will be like with her final thesis project when things get truly busy and stressful.

Reactions: 13
omg i only just realised this was a direct quote of her post. She really said 'vanilla sweet smell of the pages'. Oh no! Thats so cringey.
Hang on what that’s an actual quote? It’s a very bad sign when you can’t distinguish between real life and satire…

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Honestly? If her to do lists (which consist mainly of busywork) stress her out before her final year at uni has even started she NEEDS to sort out her priorities and take a break NOW otherwise she's going to go downhill with her thesis project. I wrote my MA thesis whilst juggling three jobs to pay rent, my to do list was massive every day and I almost cracked. I can't imagine what Ruby will be like with her final thesis project when things get truly busy and stressful.
Agree. She really need to sort her tit out ASAP. I did my Law degree while working 2 jobs. Then got my Legal Practice Diploma while essentially working for a firm for free to get my required hours while still working a paid job. Then I was quite fortunate and got a job with the firm I trained with and did my Masters (completed recently) while working for that firm. Was it hard work? Heck yes. Did I have sticky notes and lists all over the place? Heck no. I did my required reading, learned to think on my feet and absolutely had no time, energy or desire to engage in busywork. My aesthetic thru this period could be described as low-maintenance-everything.

Hang on what that’s an actual quote? It’s a very bad sign when you can’t distinguish between real life and satire…
Right? I was like ha ha, nice rooby-ism. Then I realised it was a QUOTE. Roobee described books as having a vanilla sweet smell. Which makes me think she must be hungry because I've never thought of book pages smelling sweet like vanilla.

Reactions: 11
She spent the day in London with Blakeney, and in the Insta stories, Blakeney's hair is now shorter.

Which makes me wonder which will win out: Ruby's compulsion to imitate Blakeney's appearance, or her insistence on keeping the exact same length hair to keep reusing old footage wherever she can?
that's a faulty statement though, isnt it? ruby's hair has always been longer than blakeney's as far as i can tell.

what i thought interesting about her newest ig post was that she referred to blakeney as her "best friend". over the years ruby has called several different persons her best friend, it seems to be changing quite often lol

Reactions: 3
The most confusing part for me is that old books don't smell anything like vanilla.

Reactions: 23
Still not over the fact that she said she'd post her bookshelf tour on Saturday lol

Also she always seems to go into bookshops and touches everything but never buys anything?? She buys suspiciously few books given how many she supposedly reads. Unless there are loads of secret library trips that we don't know about.

Reactions: 20
This morning I was sat in the garden reading; the sun was out, the bees and butterflies were flying around, the flowers were swaying in the breeze. I was listening to my 'study playlist' and some music from Little Women came on and I suddenly felt as if I was in a Ruby Granger video! I must admit it was quite a nice feeling, but it was authentic and not forced for aesthetic! Now excuse me whilst I go and sit in a dark room, and listen to some rock and heavy metal...

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Ngl i doubt she's even a 1/3 as productive as she portrays herself in her videos. I also don't believe her daily routines are filmed on the same day or even at 5-6am for that matter. Everything she does is just a facade. She's in dire need of a therapist

Reactions: 24
Ruby is acting like making to-do lists, posting on IG etc. are things that society is forcing her to do. No Ruby, you can choose not to do either. I think she would benefit from taking a significant social media break, but then that would mean not reading all the reinforcing, praise-heavy comments that probably keep her going.

Reactions: 15
Still not over the fact that she said she'd post her bookshelf tour on Saturday lol

Also she always seems to go into bookshops and touches everything but never buys anything?? She buys suspiciously few books given how many she supposedly reads. Unless there are loads of secret library trips that we don't know about.
And touches (and sniffs the vanilla scent of … ) second-hand books in a central London bookshop and happily goes to the library and takes home books that have been Lord-knows where in other people’s homes, but needs a hanky to touch a gate in a country field. She is giving me a headache at the moment, trying to work out what she’s playing at.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.