Ruby Granger #13 I’m a lil teapot, a leg is my spout. Triggering content gets called out.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Previous recaps

This was meant to be posted yesterday but every time I tried, it merged with my previous post. Trying again now:

Epilogue
Erimentha goes apple picking with Ella and the friend she made that fake volcano with at the start of the book and who then immediately and mysteriously disappeared from the story, along with any sign of a plot. Erimentha apologizes to this friend. It's not clear what for, unless it is for having left her out of the book. Another sign of Ruby likely removing too much when she reworked some of it two years ago.

Kimberl(e)y sends her a book with an apology letter. In the letter, she writes that Erimentha is really smart and nice, and that she doesn't deserve Erimentha's forgiveness. Kimberly also says that her mother thinks the reason she bullied Erimentha was because she was "jealous" of her. Add yet another adult to the list of those randomly praising Erimentha.

She also thanks Erimentha for standing up for Ella.

Later that day, Erimentha adds Kimberly's name (spelled without the e) to her "People Who Are Similar to Erimentha Parker List" from Chapter 22 ... because they both care about Ella. FIN.

£6.99 paperback on Amazon, everyone (half the price on Kindle). Don't all rush at once.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Previous recaps

This was meant to be posted yesterday but every time I tried, it merged with my previous post. Trying again now:

Epilogue
Erimentha goes apple picking with Ella and the friend she made that fake volcano with at the start of the book and who then immediately and mysteriously disappeared from the story, along with any sign of a plot. Erimentha apologizes to this friend. It's not clear what for, unless it is for having left her out of the book. Another sign of Ruby likely removing too much when she reworked some of it two years ago.

Kimberl(e)y sends her a book with an apology letter. In the letter, she writes that Erimentha is really smart and nice, and that she doesn't deserve Erimentha's forgiveness. Kimberly also says that her mother thinks the reason she bullied Erimentha was because she was "jealous" of her. Add yet another adult to the list of those randomly praising Erimentha.

Later that day, Erimentha adds Kimberly's name (spelled without the e) to her "People Who Are Similar to Erimentha Parker List" from Chapter 22 ... because they both care about Ella. FIN.

£6.99 paperback on Amazon, everyone (half the price on Kindle). Don't all rush at once.
Thank you for doing the Lordt’s work. I hereby promise to pass it forward and buy and recap Roobee’s very next book,whenever it may come out (caveat: I, like any of us, may have moved on with my life ere this comes to pass)

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Previous recaps

Epilogue

Wow this has been quite a saga. Thank you so much for reading this 'fine work', and summing everything up with more elegance and wit than the original author could muster.

Reactions: 8
You know what I've been wondering for a few weeks now? There is a children's book series by an author from the UK who was really world famous. I read them until I was 14, I still have the old tapes and books. "The famous five by Enid Blyton" I was so addicted to them. You can't beat the originals from the 70s. All the new rubbish is disgustingly bad.
But I've never seen the books at Ruby's. She probably doesn't know them, but how could that happen when you grow up in the UK and are still obsessed with children's books at 21?

Maybe she doesn't have enough beautiful and aesthetic descriptions of nature in it?

Reactions: 7
You know what I've been wondering for a few weeks now? There is a children's book series by an author from the UK who was really world famous. I read them until I was 14, I still have the old tapes and books. "The famous five by Enid Blyton" I was so addicted to them. You can't beat the originals from the 70s. All the new rubbish is disgustingly bad.
But I've never seen the books at Ruby's. She probably doesn't know them, but how could that happen when you grow up in the UK and are still obsessed with children's books at 21?

Maybe she doesn't have enough beautiful and aesthetic descriptions of nature in it?
Probably because The Famous Five is about kids during the summer holidays having fun adventures without parental supervision (coincidentally I was actually talking about them with a friend the other day - those books really set me up to think smuggling was going to be a much bigger problem in my life than it is!!) She definitely will know them, because she likes Malory Towers by Blyton, which is much more her speed - life in a posh all girls boarding school.

Reactions: 23
The famous five is a essential read for anyone who is age 8 or up i still have all mine from when I was a child

Reactions: 8
I’m not here to doafnoze but if Ruby’s therapist she supposedly sees diagnosed her on the spectrum somewhere, I wouldn’t be surprised.

signed someone very similar to Rubbut older and a little matured?) and is neurodivergent.

She’s looking scary thin lately and that’s what brought me to these threads (guru gossip was too toxic for me. This is much more tame… and it works).

She is naturally shorter and “stockier”, and there’s nothing wrong with that. She looks ILL. I worry for her impressionable fans; I’ve seen kids say they’re middle school age in her comments, like, wth.

Reactions: 1
So her book haul is basically one small book and a bunch of children's books? Nothing like challenging yourself at age 21. omg What a dunce she is. How does she even pass anything? I swear she must steal ideas from other people, articles, writings, papers (which she has spent a great deal of time gathering) and plagiarizes everything. If Exeter is the kind of uni that passes idiots like her, stay away. She is an embarrassing spokesperson for them.

Reactions: 9
I have issues moving on from YA romance and fantasy novels myself so I can’t judge, but I read after a long day at work and wanna distract myself from stress; she’s an English major, surely she can push herself to read literally anything else? There’s nothing wrong with having a preference for children’s books but she also makes it seem like she’s soooo well read and elite and such a bookworm

Reactions: 10
How does this spoilt rich girl have any fans or indeed, friends?

I never understood why people are fixtated on Hermione granger... she was the most irritating of the original trio in HP and an insufferable character. Theirs loads of characters who are clever and like studying without being goody goody 2 shoes, rule sticklers and santimonious nags like Hermione and Ruby Granger
They all once corrected her on saying something wrong now they are on her bullies list

Reactions: 1
I actually had to look at that photo for 10 whole seconds before I spotted it. Does she own anything that she's bought herself at this point?
And has she ever been gifted anything she hasn't claimed to love so, so much in order to get more free stuff (to sell for profit)? I'm almost certain if someone gifted her a home abattoir kit, she'd be like "I don't know how I lived without it! Such fun summer activities to be had for all the family! #gifted #ad"

• Haha
Reactions: 13
B865A3DD-A6E7-4AEE-B589-1D8647DBF49C.jpeg
Retranslated? Was it English translated to Russian and translated back to English again? What?

267C359D-4C7F-4C04-813C-28EC4585F71F.jpeg
I’ll bet she’s going to (skim-)read this entire book and not realise it’s actually ‘Edelweiss’ (not ‘Eidelweiss’) because she won’t take even a single moment to actually pause and think about what she’s reading. Yes, it could be a simple typo but Ruby is far beyond getting the benefit of the doubt.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I swear she must steal ideas from other people, articles, writings, papers (which she has spent a great deal of time gathering) and plagiarizes everything.
In fairness, for better or worse, a lot of academia is this, in a nutshell. Students are mostly told to take an essay question supplied by the tutor, argue a side or conclusion with a tonne of supporting material from other people who've made your point before, better and more articulately. So most essays are just full of students using other people's thoughts, ideas and words to answer a question that someone else thought up, with a little connective tissue from the student to show you understood the question/offered a clear argument.

That's obviously not all of academia, and you're (theoretically) rewarded with higher grades for more original thought and work, but Ruby has just been gaming the system that exists. She relies almost entirely on other people's opinions, relies (I assume) on spellcheckers to combat her natural word soup issues of inventing/misusing words and hassles and harasses the tutors for endless hours to get additional ideas and feedback from them. It won't get her far in a Masters course though, I'd imagine.

I have no idea how she gets through seminars without getting called out for being a natural dimwit with no language skills though.

I have issues moving on from YA romance and fantasy novels myself so I can’t judge, but I read after a long day at work and wanna distract myself from stress; she’s an English major, surely she can push herself to read literally anything else? There’s nothing wrong with having a preference for children’s books but she also makes it seem like she’s soooo well read and elite and such a bookworm
I think the big difference is that YA has a tonne of crossover appeal for adults, too. There's grown-up content, themes, language and ideas.

I honestly can't see much, if any, merit or entertainment to be had from adults reading books aimed at such incredibly young readers outside of nostalgia (or writing research.) Nostalgia's a powerful thing, and it can be great stress relief at times, but usually you take nostalgia in small doses. Maybe you watch a kid's film you used to watch non-stop when you were little, and laugh at how badly it aged, then you move on to something that's made for adults. Children's books being all that Ruby reads for personal enjoyment aside from her required uni reading is genuinely frightening.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
View attachment 671864Retranslated? Was it English translated to Russian and translated back to English again? What?

View attachment 671868I’ll bet she’s going to (skim-)read this entire book and not realise it’s actually ‘Edelweiss’ (not ‘Eidelweiss’) because she won’t take even a single moment to actually pause and think about what she’s reading. Yes, it could be a simple typo but Ruby is far beyond getting the benefit of the doubt.
It's common to say a novel's been "retranslated" if it's been translated again. What with the sex, and death it'll be amusing if Rubes makes it to the end of this one. If she mentions it in a video I wonder whether she'll pronounce "Gaito Gazdanov" or she'll chicken out and opt for saying the translator's name.

I bet she'll pronounce Edelweiss perfectly though. After all, there is that song from Sound of Music with that as the title...

Reactions: 5
In fairness, for better or worse, a lot of academia is this, in a nutshell. Students are mostly told to take an essay question supplied by the tutor, argue a side or conclusion with a tonne of supporting material from other people who've made your point before, better and more articulately. So most essays are just full of students using other people's thoughts, ideas and words to answer a question that someone else thought up, with a little connective tissue from the student to show you understood the question/offered a clear argument.
One thing I struggled with massively at uni was when I write an essay, I write what I know to be true first, then try and find a source to back it up. So if I knew that X = Y in this context, I would confidently write that sentence then trawl about 30 books to find a quotation to cite it with, which inevitably wouldn't exist in the way I'd want it to. It doesn't promote free thinking in any way.

Reactions: 11
That's sort of true, but at my uni you couldn't get a first just by doing that. We're taught to use secondary material critically, so if you're just using people who've made your point before, you're probably not going to get above a first. The whole point is to read a wide range of stuff, and to question it all - in my best essays I was never using secondary material just to support my argument, I would be disagreeing with it, or even if I agreed I would be saying "we can take this argument further" or "I want to approach this issue from a slightly different angle". I definitely remember Ruby in a study with me talking about how when she does secondary reading she makes notes about what she disagreed with, so I think she does actually think more critically about stuff than it generally seems she's capable of. I have no clue how, maybe it just takes her hours and hours? I would assume that any good uni wouldn't give top marks to anyone who didn't manage that to some extent. In English, if you're getting taught that you should be using secondary sources to just support your argument, you're being taught wrong!

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.