Ruby Granger #8 Government checks, body checks, and yet no privilege checks

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
wtaf does the filter on her vids do to her hands they look so SORE it usually looks alright in other clips but every shot of her hands is colour balanced so strangely
Her hands have been looking painfully raw in the last few videos.

I thought she went to an expensive private school though? I would expect a school to offer intensive college prep if the tuition is so high. But then again I know nothing about the UK educational system.
My personal observation from being in private education in England is that the private schools here tend to fall into two groups: the first being extremely pushy, grades and Oxbridge/Russell Group oriented, Duke of Edinburgh awards and music exams out the wazoo, and the second being gentle, "cushy" schools for parents with money who don't want their kids with the "riff riff" (their opinion not mine!!) of state schools. The second type don't generally push so hard, although its not a hard and fast rule. Also, just because a school is private doesn't mean its necessarily good but sometimes people's money gets in the way of them realising that lol
As another commenter who did over a decade in the UK's public school system I whole-heartedly agree with this comment. I had a look at Ruby's school's website where they say, "A Level results for 2020 saw 44% of all grades awarded at A*-A, with almost a fifth of all grades awarded at A*". (For comparison, the hell-hole I went to boasts "80% of students achieved three or more As or A*s at A level")

There's also no mention of an Oxbridge co-ordinator or any other uni application help, which is the first thing you'd look for in a private school that focussed on academia instead of "acadaymia". Also if her school had been an Oxbridge-oriented one, then Ruby would either have been talked into taking a gap yah and reapplying to Oxford, or would have been dissuaded from applying in the first place so the school wouldn't lose face :rolleyes:

Reactions: 16
From what I understand about private schools (and having taught in one), they often have a LOT of Oxbridge applicants compared to state schools. They know when they send off the applications that not all of the students will get in. And no matter how much prep and coaching they do, sometimes the student just doesn't have what the uni is looking for. Lots of private schools are fed up atm because Oxford and Cambridge are taking more state school students now (which is undeniably a good thing) so it's no longer considered the advantage it once was.

Reactions: 20
I thought she went to an expensive private school though? I would expect a school to offer intensive college prep if the tuition is so high. But then again I know nothing about the UK educational system.
There’s private schools and private schools - some are very selective based on academic ability and others, much less so. Ruby lives in an area that has a lot of grammar schools (which are selective state schools, and often highly so). Without sounding horrifically snobby, what you tend to get in those sorts of areas are private schools that cater to parents who might have the cash, but whose kids, for whatever reason, either didn’t try for or didn’t pass for the grammar schools. She also lives very near to at least one extremely selective all girls’ private school and they’re likely to cream off many of the brightest and wealthiest girls locally. So her school probably has a very mixed ability cohort and probably isn’t known for pushing leavers towards Oxbridge and the Russell Group.

From what I understand about private schools (and having taught in one), they often have a LOT of Oxbridge applicants compared to state schools. They know when they send off the applications that not all of the students will get in. And no matter how much prep and coaching they do, sometimes the student just doesn't have what the uni is looking for. Lots of private schools are fed up atm because Oxford and Cambridge are taking more state school students now (which is undeniably a good thing) so it's no longer considered the advantage it once was.
Yes, but what you find if you dig down a bit into the stats is that ‘state school’ often translates as ’highly selective grammar’. A lot of the grammar schools, when you consider that they often have quite pricey catchment areas, are actually way, way more selective than even the top private schools, once you factor in both academic ability and economics. It irritates me a lot when unis talk about ‘state schools‘, especially Oxbridge and the Russell Group, because there are many different kinds of state schools and kids from bog-standard comps (in Ruby-speak, ‘underfunded state schools’) probably still don’t have much of a chance of getting into a top uni.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Yes, but what you find if you dig down a bit into the stats is that ‘state school’ often translates as ’highly selective grammar’. A lot of the grammar schools, when you consider that they often have quite pricy catchment areas, are actually way, way more selective than even the top private schools, once you factor in both academic ability and economics. It irritates me a lot when unis talk about ‘state schools‘, especially Oxbridge and the Russell group because there are many different kinds of state schools and kids from bog-standard comps (in Ruby-speak, ‘underfunded state schools’) probably still don’t have much of a chance of getting into a top uni.
Oh definitely! I went to a very low performing comp and got into Oxbridge - but I still felt very much in the minority, as there were a lot of students from very prestigious state schools.

Reactions: 12
There’s private schools and private schools - some are very selective based on academic ability and others, much less so. Ruby lives in an area that has a lot of grammar schools (which are selective state schools, and often highly so). Without sounding horrifically snobby, what you tend to get in those sorts of areas are private schools that cater to parents who might have the cash, but whose kids, for whatever reason, either didn’t try for or didn’t pass for the grammar schools. She also lives very near to at least one extremely selective all girls’ private school and they’re likely to cream off many of the brightest and wealthiest girls locally. So her school probably has a very mixed ability cohort and probably isn’t known for pushing leavers towards Oxbridge and the Russell Group.
I'm really interested as to whether Ruby passed the 11+ since Bucks is a fully selective county (not sure if it is now but definitely was when Ruby was at school). She's made mention of doing the 11+, in one of her many room tours she pointed out something as being a gift for either doing 11+ or passing it (cba to look through all of them to find out). If she did pass it, then why the hell didn't she go to a grammar school? Only thing I can think of is she wanted to be a big fish in a small pond.

Totally agree with what everyone is saying re many of the Oxbridge successful state school applicants being from choosy grammars (*cough*Eve Bennett*cough*)! There's state schools and there's state schools.

Reactions: 19
I'm really interested as to whether Ruby passed the 11+ since Bucks is a fully selective county (not sure if it is now but definitely was when Ruby was at school). She's made mention of doing the 11+, in one of her many room tours she pointed out something as being a gift for either doing 11+ or passing it (cba to look through all of them to find out). If she did pass it, then why the hell didn't she go to a grammar school? Only thing I can think of is she wanted to be a big fish in a small pond.

Totally agree with what everyone is saying re many of the Oxbridge successful state school applicants being from choosy grammars (*cough*Eve Bennett*cough*)! There's state schools and there's state schools.
She claimed on her askfm ages ago that she passed the 11+ but chose not to go to a grammar school. Could’ve saved her parents a lot of money hahaha

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Here's the recap/review of two more chapters. We're about 4/5 into the book now. Previous recap for Chapters 22-23 is here. As per last disclaimer, I'm going to try to be as balanced as I can, although as this book is published and on sale (£6.99 paperback! £3.99 kindle!), it's hardly immune to criticism. Trigger warning for bullying. I know there were some who thought it wasn't bullying, but it's definitely moved into that camp since at least the hair-cutting, no matter how unpleasantly Erimentha acted before.

Chapter 24
  • Erimentha asks her geography teacher for the work she missed when Kimberly knocked her out with the tennis ball and sent her to hospital. Her teacher thinks Erimentha is ready for her old university textbook, which she has lovingly kept all this time, and lends it to her. Gosh, I hope nothing happens to it!
  • Mr Aldridge wants to know what really happened on the tennis court but can't be bothered to quiz the girls individually. He summons Erimentha, Kimberly, and Kimberly's friend to one meeting. Kimberley repeats her lie about it being an accident, and Erimentha is "deliberately vague". Mr Aldridge doesn't seem to notice. Bad news for Mr Aldridge fans - we never heard from him for the rest of the book. It's possible reading all of Erimentha's unsolicited extension projects sent him into early retirement. I guess we'll never hear about how his trip to Cambodia went. Unsurprisingly, Erimentha seems to have forgotten her interest in it.
  • Later, Ella (Kimberly's younger sister who is being bullied by her own "peers") thanks Erimentha. Previously, Erimentha decided against confiding in a teacher about Kimberly's bullying because - in a rare moment of self-awareness about how she pushes an image of herself - she felt it would undermine the image she's worked hard to maintain of being responsible and strong. But she still insisted on telling the teachers about Ella being bullied. Since then, things have improved greatly for Ella, and she asks Erimentha to take her own advice. Erimentha doesn't, even though she admits being hypocritical.
  • Later that night, Erimentha asks for permission to go outside and stand on the patio to "examine the night sky". Her mother tells her to stay where she can be seen in case she gets lost. They must have a huge patio. Erimentha describes the stars as "the sky's freckles" and draws a chart, taking care to tell the reader that she is using a pencil rather than a gel pen to avoid smudges. There are unfortunately a lot of scenes like this or references that don't add any demonstrable value.
Chapter 25
  • The school's resident psychopath, Kimberly, has set up a pretend fansite for Erimentha. Erimentha waits for the page to load on her slow internet and thinks "the grey circle twirls round and round like children around a May Pole." She reminisces about the time she danced around one Grandmama had set up. Naturally, she was "dressed authentically for the event, having researched it the day before." I think this is a contender for the most shoehorned anecdote in the whole book. In fairness, this would probably work if Ruby was writing it in a self-aware, ironic way and the book was about Erimentha gradually overcoming her need to be seen as the smartest, most responsible person in the room. Unfortunately for the readers, it's not.
  • The website has nasty comments about Erimentha, a photo of her staring fixedly at Mr Aldridge with her hand straining towards the ceiling, and a badly photo-shopped picture of her face. Even though Kimberly has hacked off a chunk of Erimentha's hair, dragged her in the bathroom and stuck a needle in her, and knocked her out with a tennis ball...this assault on her image is what makes Erimentha furious.
  • Erimentha screenshots it all and prints it out. Even though she makes the point of repeatedly telling the reader she will not "tell on" Kimberly, she refers to her print outs as "evidence" and adds it to a notebook where she is documenting everything Kimberly has done to her. You can guess this won't be the last we hear of this notebook.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Wait, Ruby's surname isn't actually "Granger"? When I first came across her channel and saw the Hermione videos I thought her surname wasn't real either but then, years later, I came across her linkedin page and it says "Granger."
Seems odd to put your made-up surname on a site that acts as a virtual resume.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Bit off topic but Marfa posted new instagram pics and she looks so pretty with pink hair! It's so funny how her and Ruby are complete opposite.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Here's the recap/review of two more chapters. We're about 4/5 into the book now. Previous recap for Chapters 22-23 is here. As per last disclaimer, I'm going to try to be as balanced as I can, although as this book is published and on sale (£6.99 paperback! £3.99 kindle!), it's hardly immune to criticism. Trigger warning for bullying. I know there were some who thought it wasn't bullying, but it's definitely moved into that camp since at least the hair-cutting, no matter how unpleasantly Erimentha acted before.

Chapter 24
  • Erimentha asks her geography teacher for the work she missed when Kimberly knocked her out with the tennis ball and sent her to hospital. Her teacher thinks Erimentha is ready for her old university textbook, which she has lovingly kept all this time, and lends it to her. Gosh, I hope nothing happens to it!
  • Mr Aldridge wants to know what really happened on the tennis court but can't be bothered to quiz the girls individually. He summons Erimentha, Kimberly, and Kimberly's friend to one meeting. Kimberley repeats her lie about it being an accident, and Erimentha is "deliberately vague". Mr Aldridge doesn't seem to notice. Bad news for Mr Aldridge fans - we never heard from him for the rest of the book. It's possible reading all of Erimentha's unsolicited extension projects sent him into early retirement. I guess we'll never hear about how his trip to Cambodia went. Unsurprisingly, Erimentha seems to have forgotten her interest in it.
  • Later, Ella (Kimberly's younger sister who is being bullied by her own "peers") thanks Erimentha. Previously, Erimentha decided against confiding in a teacher about Kimberly's bullying because - in a rare moment of self-awareness about how she pushes an image of herself - she felt it would undermine the image she's worked hard to maintain of being responsible and strong. But she still insisted on telling the teachers about Ella being bullied. Since then, things have improved greatly for Ella, and she asks Erimentha to take her own advice. Erimentha doesn't, even though she admits being hypocritical.
  • Later that night, Erimentha asks for permission to go outside and stand on the patio to "examine the night sky". Her mother tells her to stay where she can be seen in case she gets lost. They must have a huge patio. Erimentha describes the stars as "the sky's freckles" and draws a chart, taking care to tell the reader that she is using a pencil rather than a gel pen to avoid smudges. There are unfortunately a lot of scenes like this or references that don't add any demonstrable value.
Chapter 25
  • The school's resident psychopath, Kimberly, has set up a pretend fansite for Erimentha. Erimentha waits for the page to load on her slow internet and thinks "the grey circle twirls round and round like children around a May Pole." She reminisces about the time she danced around one Grandmama had set up. Naturally, she was "dressed authentically for the event, having researched it the day before." I think this is a contender for the most shoehorned anecdote in the whole book. In fairness, this would probably work if Ruby was writing it in a self-aware, ironic way and the book was about Erimentha gradually overcoming her need to be seen as the smartest, most responsible person in the room. Unfortunately for the readers, it's not.
  • The website has nasty comments about Erimentha, a photo of her staring fixedly at Mr Aldridge with her hand straining towards the ceiling, and a badly photo-shopped picture of her face. Even though Kimberly has hacked off a chunk of Erimentha's hair, dragged her in the bathroom and stuck a needle in her, and knocked her out with a tennis ball...this assault on her image is what makes Erimentha furious.
  • Erimentha screenshots it all and prints it out. Even though she makes the point of repeatedly telling the reader she will not "tell on" Kimberly, she refers to her print outs as "evidence" and adds it to a notebook where she is documenting everything Kimberly has done to her. You can guess this won't be the last we hear of this notebook.
Thank you so much!

Wait, Ruby's surname isn't actually "Granger"? When I first came across her channel and saw the Hermione videos I thought her surname wasn't real either but then, years later, I came across her linkedin page and it says "Granger."
Seems odd to put your made-up surname on a site that acts as a virtual resume.
Part of me wonders whether it's because she's 'become' her brand/ channel?

Reactions: 1
  • The website has nasty comments about Erimentha, a photo of her staring fixedly at Mr Aldridge with her hand straining towards the ceiling, and a badly photo-shopped picture of her face.
oiiiiii does jk rowling know that ruby‘s lifting from the philosopher’s stone...... actual hermione behaviour

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Slightly off topic, but does anyone else think that her switching to philosophy and theology before starting first year occurred as a response to her Oxford rejection? She mentioned that her dream since she was 12 had been to go to Oxford and study English literature, and I'm thinking that she changed her course after her rejection so if someone asks how the reality of her academic success differed from her dream, she wouldn't have to say 'It's the same except I got rejected from Oxford'; she changed it up completely to sort of... take the attention away from the rejection? I guess? Unlike Unjadedjade, who mentions her rejection every chance she gets to try and convince her audience that her scam weird university is indeed the right destination for her, Ruby seems to have recovered from her rejection and I think that's demonstrated in her switching back to English lit, which I do think is her real passion; philosophy and theology was just a plan B in order to make the dream contrast entirely with the reality and lessen the blow of the rejection

Reactions: 14
She claimed on her askfm ages ago that she passed the 11+ but chose not to go to a grammar school. Could’ve saved her parents a lot of money hahaha
Yeah and she probably would've been stretched more! Private schools have smaller class sizes and better facilities, but grammar schools are often more academically rigorous.

Reactions: 1
Slightly off topic, but does anyone else think that her switching to philosophy and theology before starting first year occurred as a response to her Oxford rejection? She mentioned that her dream since she was 12 had been to go to Oxford and study English literature, and I'm thinking that she changed her course after her rejection so if someone asks how the reality of her academic success differed from her dream, she wouldn't have to say 'It's the same except I got rejected from Oxford'; she changed it up completely to sort of... take the attention away from the rejection? I guess? Unlike Unjadedjade, who mentions her rejection every chance she gets to try and convince her audience that her scam weird university is indeed the right destination for her, Ruby seems to have recovered from her rejection and I think that's demonstrated in her switching back to English lit, which I do think is her real passion; philosophy and theology was just a plan B in order to make the dream contrast entirely with the reality and lessen the blow of the rejection
yeah I think she said in a video that this was basically her reason for switching to theology and then switching back again, it makes a lot of sense tbh

Reactions: 6

It was in this video, around 12 mins in.
I hate the click bait title - it should’ve been “i’m changing my course”. “I’m dropping out of my course” seems like she was dropping out of uni, not to mention the cringey pose in the thumbnail🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.