Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh dear just picked my small human up from nursery and got told he had crumpets for his afternoon snack and all I could think was don't you mean pikelets

• Haha
Reactions: 25
This is a bit OT but I'm curious. I'm from the US so I don't know much about the application process for Oxbridge but does family/wealth play an "unofficial" role in accepting students?

I'm only asking because here in the US some rich families help "secure" their children a spot at Princeton/Harvard/wherever by "donating" money or just because their family has a reputation for attending whatever university.

Ruby obviously comes from a wealthy family but I'd imagine more preticious kids are applying alongaide of her. And with nothing else under her belt besides her grades I can't imagine her getting in.

Reactions: 4
At this point, I'm not even 100% sure that she understands what dark academia is.
She absolutely has no clue. Her entire (mis)understanding of dark academia amounts to: "The fetishization of candles, dark and/or plaid clothes and school." Her "everything you need to know about dark academia" video is more of an expose of how flimsy her understanding of dark academia (and most of the interests she claims to have) truly is. It's full of vague, confused nonsense and stuff she clearly copied from the results of a basic Google search. She can't research for tit, and her interest in anything rarely dips below the surface level, which is always on full display in her "complete guide" videos.

She claims to be all about that 📚 DARK MACADEMIA 📚 life, but she doesn't read books for adults and doesn't watch TV or movies at all, so she'll have finished exactly none of the quintessential books, movies and TV shows in the subgenre.

Her starting a Dark Academia club would be hilarious. It'd be an exact repeat of the book club. The rest of the members would be planning a dark academia movie marathon, followed by a discussion of The Magicians TV show and how it compares to the book, or talking about their 25th reread of The Secret History. Ruby would show up to discuss what "candlesticks" she bought that week (holding up candles to show everyone, naturally) and how she likes to arrange her moodboard. She'd quickly realise how out of her depth she is and quickly bail on the whole endeavour.

Honestly, the idea that Ruby, who has never had an original thought, is going to wow the academic world with her academic ingenuity, or that she's going to compile reams of astonishing primary research for her dissertation when she has a proven history of being lazy and incompetent as a researcher, is hilarious.

I'm starting to think setting all those impossible goals for her dissertation is her setting herself up to fail and have a pre-established excuse to fall back on when she does ("My ideas were just too ambitious. I couldn't do the research I wanted because of the pandemic. The simpleton tutors just didn't understand the complexities of my ideas. Of course they were going to mark it down, it's full of original, groundbreaking ideas - they won't truly understand or appreciate it until scholars start using my work as secondary research for their essays.")

• Haha
Reactions: 17
This is a bit OT but I'm curious. I'm from the US so I don't know much about the application process for Oxbridge but does family/wealth play an "unofficial" role in accepting students?

I'm only asking because here in the US some rich families help "secure" their children a spot at Princeton/Harvard/wherever by "donating" money or just because their family has a reputation for attending whatever university.

Ruby obviously comes from a wealthy family but I'd imagine more preticious kids are applying alongaide of her. And with nothing else under her belt besides her grades I can't imagine her getting in.
No thankfully afaik this is very very uncommon/never happens (correct me if I’m wrong tho)

wealth can help though in terms of tuition/private education

Reactions: 12
pure speculation but if she doesn't get in she might blame it on her eating disorder...similarly if her diss ends up being a train wreck she could claim that she was too ill to be able to write it to her fullest potential 🤷‍♀️ i wouldn't put it past her

side note: in her alice in wonderland and """gymnastics""" videos she seems to be perfectly healthy so i think she's being very, very manipulative with her angles in her stories (unless the footage is old)
Some of that footage is at least a month old - without wanting to sound weird, I noticed that in part of it she’s looking at bluebells and they’ve been finished for a while. I think she mixes and matches footage from different times. She also put up some similar though the looking glass footage a few months ago so I think some of it’s from then too.

Reactions: 14
"Tend to play chess in the evenings."

She's so pretentious...it actually hurts.
Pffft, amateur. I only play chess on Tuesdays in leap years, when the moon is in the House of Aquarius and a three-legged sheep has been born in a very specific region of south Wales.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 79
Some of that footage is at least a month old - without wanting to sound weird, I noticed that in part of it she’s looking at bluebells and they’ve been finished for a while. I think she mixes and matches footage from different times. She also put up some similar though the looking glass footage a few months ago so I think some of it’s from then too.
She always recycles footage. In one of her evening routines she makes herself tea, takes it up to her bedroom, but then when she shows a shot of her pouring the tea it's during the daytime, then it switches back to her in her bedroom at night drinking it. At one point she takes a "sip" from her teacup but it looks like there's nothing even in it.

It's annoying because it's just out of laziness and shows how tit she is at continuity when it comes to filming and editing. And it adds to the fact that everything she does is incredibly staged/preformative. I wish she could just be herself. I think her channel would be more successful if she just dropped all the aesthetic bull crap and was herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
has nobody told ruby that no matter how excited you are about your disso to start with, by the time it’s handed it you’ll never ever ever want to even look at that subject ever again? because she might just put herself off victoriana and “dark academia“ for life LOL
Man after I finished my thesis and handed it in I couldn't even bear to read it over one more time. I needed to make a few layout adjustments in order to have it printed and I dreaded it so much I got my boyfriend to do it lmao

Reactions: 15

For those interested...

At 2:28 she pours tea in the daytime during her nighttime routine video

At 2:41 it's nighttime again!

At 2:47 daytime again!

At 2:59 she "takes a sip" of tea. You cant sit here and tell me that she actually took a sip! It looks so fake and that's she's only doing it for the camera.

Look I don't give a tit whether she took a sip or not. It's the fake preformative "aesthetic" way she acts in her video that annoys me. Just stop Ruby. Try and be a little more authentic. You look stupid and lazy

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Recycling old content and then wondering why her subscribers/followers are going down ???

Yup sounds like Ruby.
And in the chat for her last video she also promised the return of 'study with me' videos. Nothing says giving the people what they want quite like making even more of your least-watched content.

"I made a video of me playing and winning three games of chess with grandmaster champions later that day, but my camera battery died. 😂 I filmed me winning 50 games in a row a few days later but the SD card was corrupt! I just took a few pictures of me posing next to a chess board instead as a quick backup. 🙈"

(Then we see pictures of Ruby sat pensively studying a chess board with the pieces in random, impossible positions. On the board she has also assembled several backgammon pieces, a handful of Monopoly houses, a pair of dice, the rope from Cluedo and a Charizard card.)

• Haha
Reactions: 36
She always recycles footage. In one of her evening routines she makes herself tea, takes it up to her bedroom, but then when she shows a shot of her pouring the tea it's during the daytime, then it switches back to her in her bedroom at night drinking it. At one point she takes a "sip" from her teacup but it looks like there's nothing even in it.

It's annoying because it's just out of laziness and shows how tit she is at continuity when it comes to filming and editing. And it adds to the fact that everything she does is incredibly staged/preformative. I wish she could just be herself. I think her channel would be more successful if she just dropped all the aesthetic bull crap and was herself.
I also noticed that her Victorian videos literally just use the same few sources and quotes so you literally get near enough the same information (same quote about leaving the window open for example) but remember she did soooooo much research for each video 👀🙄

For those interested...

At 2:28 she pours tea in the daytime during her nighttime routine video

At 2:41 it's nighttime again!

At 2:47 daytime again!

At 2:59 she "takes a sip" of tea. You cant sit here and tell me that she actually took a sip! It looks so fake and that's she's only doing it for the camera.

Look I don't give a tit whether she took a sip or not. It's the fake preformative "aesthetic" way she acts in her video that annoys me. Just stop Ruby. Try and be a little more authentic. You look stupid and lazy
One of my favourite YouTubers does a thrift series and each episode is presented as if it were a single day but is actually compiled from days/weeks of footage. The difference? He's open and honest about it. Doesn't add misleading titles claiming it was all accomplished in one day, and usually has a disclaimer that it's filmed across multiple days since logistically, interesting thrift finds don't usually happen all at once.

What Ruby’s excuse? She's deliberately misleading, brags about how much she accomplished all in a day, and uses that not only to bask in the ego boost of fawning comments, but to encourage impossible and unhealthy study and lifestyle habits.

At this point I'm dubious if Ruby even has a personality under all the fad aesthetics. Her persona is Frankensteined together from Pinterest fads, Hermione Granger and clothes ideas and interests she stole from Blakeney.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19

Bold of you to assume she has a self outside of the aesthetic bollocks...

I assume part of the reason she keeps it all up and goes so hard for it is that she has no sense of identity. In school it's pretty easy to build an identity around being bookish and academic, as it's not necessarily super common. When you get to uni tho, there's loads of other people like that, and suddenly it's not so special or individual - especially when there's people who are more intelligent + higher achieving than you. She's obviously always done it, starting with Hermione, but it's gotten worse and worse over the last 3 years. Most people spend their adolescence figuring out who they are, but unfortunately that involves all sorts of things that far beneath Ruby, like doing stuff outside your comfort zone, spending time with different types of people, and making lots of silly mistake you have to learn from. The result is that Ruby is basically an empty shell without whatever trend she's picked up for the next week.

One thing that's interesting to me is that usually her aesthetics aren't necessarily super 'fashionable', in the sense that most kids wouldn't choose to come across like Hermione bc they don't want to look like 'nerds' or whatever. Being bookish isn't cool at most schools. Same with the Victorian stuff. I've always kinda assume she did that to try to set herself apart from everyone else - after all, we all know she's soooo not like other girls. The Queens Gambit feels like the first bit of pop culture that's actually kinda fashionable that she's picked up on - it's for adults not 10 year olds, and is incredibly mainstream. I don't really know what to make of that, maybe it's just because Blakeney likes it, maybe she thinks that this makes her more adult, like when kids play at being 'grown ups', but obviously don't know what that actually means.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Think it’s more common than we realise, a couple of people who went to oxford with influencer grace beverley have claimed that one of the people who was on her admissions panel knew her and previously taught her 😂. She comes from insane old money wealth though, if you google her Grandad, he was described as ‘one of margaret thatchers favourites’. I highly doubt that Ruby would have connections like that though.

Reactions: 13
No thankfully afaik this is very very uncommon/never happens (correct me if I’m wrong tho)

Plus Ruby's family doesn't appear to be THAT well off compared to some of the families who send their children to top universities. Even if Oxford was corrupt enough to give places in exchange for donations (and it doesn't), Daddy Bones doesn't exactly seem like a multimillionaire. Their house cost just under £800k and they sent her to a middle tier private school. Obv they may be hoarding wealth that we don't see, and they clearly had a hand in Ruby buying the cottage

One of my favourite YouTubers does a thrift series and each episode is presented as if it were a single day but is actually compiled from days/weeks of footage. The difference? He's open and honest about it. Doesn't add misleading titles claiming it was all accomplished in one day, and usually has a disclaimer that it's filmed across multiple days since logistically, interesting thrift finds don't usually happen all at once. What Ruby’s excuse?

Her persona is Frankensteined together from Pinterest fads, Hermione Granger and clothes ideas and interests she stole from Blakeney.
EXACTLY! If you're going to recycle footage or film multiple times, over certain periods, etc. either put out a disclaimer or at least do it well. I wouldn't care if she didn't disclaim how she films or what clips she uses as long as she does it well. Like if you're gonna lie and try to present your content as put together at least TRY and do it well.

As for her aesthetic, I couldn't have said it better myself. I even feel sorry for her in a way because it's as if she'll never know who she truly is. That or she doesn't want to and/or cant be herself because she's so lost in whatever fictional character she decides to personify.

Reactions: 9
I could see that as well but hey thats understandable, she's sick and needs helps.

If nothing else she should at least take a break between undergrad and postgrad. That's my biggest regret. I went straight into a graduate program after my undergrad and regret it so much. I wish I took a year off to work and get some more experience in the real world because now I'm in a program with loads of people older than me who have 10+ years experience and it's intimidating.

But Ruby would never take time off from uni, and she especially would NEVER take time off to work a real job. That's a joke.
Ruby loves routine, needs to fill her days with to do lists, work etc and I think as is the holidays now and she is struggling a lot. Obviously she needs to work on herself a lot but I think the idea of taking a year out after undergrad would be terrifying for her unless it was to do something incredibly structured. I think she is floundering a bit at the moment with even dissertation prep being pretty unstructured and just a lot of googling and random research that can’t lead anywhere without a supervisor. Maybe she will improve once back at uni and an external structure (and maybe be forced into therapy?). I just can’t see her voluntarily taking a year out.

Isn’t it a bit of a disadvantage now, at least for undergrad? When we were applying for uni (at a boarding school) the boarders were told to put whichever was the most disadvantaged area on their UCAS form, whether it was the school or their home address. Some people lived in Chelsea etc and were definitely told NOT to put that down as Oxbridge were trying to up their quota of disadvantaged kids. (obviously being a boarding school they weren’t exactly disadvantaged haha)

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.