Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Plus Ruby's family doesn't appear to be THAT well off compared to some of the families who send their children to top universities. Even if Oxford was corrupt enough to give places in exchange for donations (and it doesn't), Daddy Bones doesn't exactly seem like a multimillionaire. Their house cost just under £800k and they sent her to a middle tier private school. Obv they may be hoarding wealth that we don't see, and they clearly had a hand in Ruby buying the cottage
Yeah exactly. They're rich, but not as rich as most of Oxbridge. One of my friends went and has a literal princess living on her corridor in first year, and my sister went and knew quite a few people who were kids of people in the House of Lords and owned stately homes. If any wealth and connections are going to get you into Oxbridge, it's on that level, not just parents who have done quite well for themselves.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Do we actually know around how rich Daddy Bones is? One thing is not looking super rich - their house looks like a gross cave and I wouldn't want to live there even if I was paid to do that. Add to that the complete lack of style or class. But maybe they're richer than we thought?

Reactions: 8
I think connections would be more important than money in this case

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Do we actually know around how rich Daddy Bones is? One thing is not looking super rich - their house looks like a gross cave and I wouldn't want to live there even if I was paid to do that. Add to that the complete lack of style or class. But maybe they're richer than we thought?
I get the feeling that if they were richer, Ruby might have gone to a more prestigious school. But it is difficult to tell.

Reactions: 6
That recent story with her showing off her hair: she definitely put a filter on that right? Idk it kinda freaks me out how pale she is? What are everyone's thoughts?

Rich enough to own the house, but not rich enough to hire a butler and maid. It's probably why Ruby yearns for the 19th Century so much - she's pining for a time when slavery was still legal and they could just buy some poor child for cheap at auction to clean their filthy kitchen. They sure as hell won't clean it themselves.

Whatever happened to the Q&A she was supposed to be doing with Marfa?

Honestly, this girl is the biggest bullshitter I’ve seen. Why does she have to pretend to be into everything that would be deemed intellectual?! Makes me cringe so much. Only thing you’re good at Ruby is acting like a tit.
Weird how she's done 3,931 different daily/evening routines and not once did she play chess with her family. Almost like everything she says is complete bullshit.

How hard is it to just say "I watched Queen's Gambit (or occasionally peeked out at the screen from behind a cushion as the adult content scared me) and it made chess seem like such a fascinating game, so I've started leaning to play!" Instead it has to be a competition of interest or accomplishment with her. "I've always done this. I do this 100 times a day!" What a cretin.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
Rich enough to own the house, but not rich enough to hire a butler and maid. It's probably why Ruby yearns for the 19th Century so much - she's pining for a time when slavery was still legal and they could just buy some poor child for cheap at auction to clean their filthy kitchen. They sure as hell won't clean it themselves.

Whatever happened to the Q&A she was supposed to be doing with Marfa?
You hit the nail on the head - too rich to buckle down and do it themselves, yet not rich enough to get it done for them. Or they like to pretend they’re… idk, something else than raging Tories?

It’s a whole family of people caught up in fantasies of being someone else than they actually are. An Arthur Miller play waiting to come to life.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
That recent story with her showing off her hair: she definitely put a filter on that right? Idk it kinda freaks me out how pale she is? What are everyone's thoughts?
The filter won't have helped ( I don't know much about the filter she used) but she is incredibly pale. Its been incredibly sunny and warm in the Scotland where I am, surely it must be even more so in England? How has she not got any colour to her skin? Even my pale asf girlfriend has gotten a tan!

Either Ruby hasn't gone outside when the sun is fully up, or she has an inability to tan.

The more I look at Ruby, the more she reminds me of my ex who had anorexia. I'm no psychologist, but the more I look the more I see similar behaviours and patterns my ex portrayed, even down to the fake smile with the dead eyed look she pulls. If Ruby is anything like my ex (which I hope she is not), she will keep going through these cycles of "getting better" and then "getting worse".

I won't go into detail, but the similarities I am starting to see are starting to creep me out.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Aren’t her eyes bulging? Maybe it’s thyroid - bulging eyes and weight loss would fit. Maybe she took the weight loss to another degree cause she’s always been super attention seeking. Either way it’s not a good look but she looks super proud lol.
0750C9CB-7147-419D-94A7-B6859FC60E05.jpeg

• Sick
Reactions: 9
Aren’t her eyes bulging? Maybe it’s thyroid - bulging eyes and weight loss would fit. Maybe she took the weight loss to another degree cause she’s always been super attention seeking. Either way it’s not a good look but she looks super proud lol.
View attachment 650674
I think it's just the weight loss accentuating her features. In her recent photos, she's been all teeth, eyes and forehead. That and I think she's just trying to be all wide-eyed to make her forced grimace look more like a smile.

Reactions: 16
This whole 'no use of secondary sources/criticism' thing is absolutely bananas. Her dissertation will absolutely tank if she goes down this route, but hopefully her supervisor will manage to sway her decision. Even if you have an original project idea, you still need to engage with secondary material — countless academics will have worked on whatever she decides to do in some capacity, and even if she's proposing something entirely new, she'll have to engage with other resources in order to criticise their work, or 'prove it wrong' as I can imagine her putting it. I'm going into my final year too, so I don't have any firsthand experience of writing a diss, but my partner is just finishing up his PhD, which is quite specific in terms of literature, and the amount of reading and theory he has had to engage with in a project that absolutely has to be original is mind boggling. Similarly, I've written an essay that's about half of the length of a standard diss, and while I was engaging with primary sources such as manuscripts etc., criticism still played a massive role. At the very least, she needs to take a genetic approach to her project if she does go down the manuscript route, but I can imagine that would be a bit too much for her intellectually tbh.

• Heart
View attachment 650674
I’ve actually known someone with Graves disease, and while they were also super obnoxious (exacerbated by the illness, but there’s no denying this person was also super cray), the bulging of the eyes looked completely different from this. I think it really is just the weight loss that’s making the eyes look like they’re popping out, and also giving her a major case of opossum mouth.

Reactions: 4
I think it's just the weight loss accentuating her features. In her recent photos, she's been all teeth, eyes and forehead. That and I think she's just trying to be all wide-eyed to make her forced grimace look more like a smile.
thank you for this.
As someone who's struggled in the past and has recently become triggered by Ruby's weight loss, this was a good reminder that I did not look nor feel my best when I was in the midst of my eating disorder.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Also it just occurred to me that what she's interested in isn't even literature per se (I'm gonna be that judgey person, absolutely every single thing she reads outside of uni work is absolute trash), but history — maybe an MA in that area would suit her more. Even when she talks about Victorian stuff, it's never ever about literature or any of the conventions one would usually associate with it, but historical contexts. While historical context is obviously an important factor in considering literature, it's by no means the one and only thing it should be 'assessed' by. Has she ever even spoke about a Victorian novel and what makes it different from say, a Romantic one?

You hit the nail on the head - too rich to buckle down and do it themselves, yet not rich enough to get it done for them. Or they like to pretend they’re… idk, something else than raging Tories?

It’s a whole family of people caught up in fantasies of being someone else than they actually are. An Arthur Miller play waiting to come to life.
Congratulations you just described new money 😂

I've done a lot of catering work as a waitress and generally the proper posh upper class aristocratic types are more bearable than the new money middle classes. They're more polite and respectful (though obviously there are plenty of exceptions), whereas the new money people are all desperate to prove how rich and successful they are, but of course they aren't actually rich enough to hire butlers and maids, so they just act like pricks to people beneath them. They have fantasies about how they're basically part of the aristocracy but obviously have nowhere near the amount of wealth as the actual upper classes, so just make certain everyone less well off than them knows how rich they are. At their dinner parties they'll talk about how stupid working class northerners were for voting Leave (I mean of course I voted Remain, I'm part of the metropolitan elite!), whilst simultaneously complaining about how Eastern Europeans are dominating women's tennis. They tell themselves they're good, compassionate people but continue to vote in a Tory government.

Reactions: 22
thank you for this.
As someone who's struggled in the past and has recently become triggered by Ruby's weight loss, this was a good reminder that I did not look nor feel my best when I was in the midst of my eating disorder.
It's definitely not a flattering or healthy look for her. She looks more sickly by the day. I can't imagine she's feeling great either if she has to force herself to grimace for the camera and recycle old videos of her being physically active.

But I'm so glad you're in a much healthier place now and have the perspective that she doesn't.

Reactions: 3
The filter won't have helped ( I don't know much about the filter she used) but she is incredibly pale. Its been incredibly sunny and warm in the Scotland where I am, surely it must be even more so in England? How has she not got any colour to her skin? Even my pale asf girlfriend has gotten a tan!
Nope, it's been a washout of a summer down here: very rainy with brief bursts of sun. Might have to come up to Scotland to work on my tan 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Oh Ruby... she does look really ill. If that hair isn't falling out yet it probably will be soon. I'd wager there's a fair bit of brain fog going on as well. I hope people don't take this the wrong way as I have nothing against veganism but this is what a friend of mine looked like after years of eating vegan (low cal)... plus she was obsessed with eating "clean". She was always cold, hair falling out, losing her train of thought, etc.

Reactions: 12
Also it just occurred to me that what she's interested in isn't even literature per se (I'm gonna be that judgey person, absolutely every single thing she reads outside of uni work is absolute trash), but history — maybe an MA in that area would suit her more. Even when she talks about Victorian stuff, it's never ever about literature or any of the conventions one would usually associate with it, but historical contexts. While historical context is obviously an important factor in considering literature, it's by no means the one and only thing it should be 'assessed' by. Has she ever even spoke about a Victorian novel and what makes it different from say, a Romantic one?
So true. And for someone who supposedly reads so much, I'm amazed that she doesn't share extracts from books she reads to instagram. I always do that when I find something that really resonates. It just confirms my suspicion that she doesn't actually read much at all.

Reactions: 19
I have always wondered why she didn’t take history at A Level as she seems to have an interest in it. I wonder if her school only offered the modern history course, which probably would have put her off, but it’s a shame as I think she would have got a lot from it.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.