Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hopefully she realises sooner rather than later that almost every single thing on her list is somewhere between 'unrealistic' and 'absolute lunacy'.
Agreeed!! For her to say that she does not want to use any secondary sources AND that she wants to be original/write something that hasn't been written before is the biggest joke.

For her to completely dismiss secondary sources as a student/aspiring academic is actually hilarious. And with wanting to write something that's never been written, yeah it possible, but you don't need to reinvent the wheel, especially in undergrad, save something original for postgrad. She's so far up her own a**.

Reactions: 37
View attachment 648548
she’s gone from trying to look like a 12 year old to a grandma
(i’m all for the grandma type of aesthetic but she’s gone from one extreme to the other lol)
She looks like a 70 year old spinster teacher on her last day before retirement. She looks emaciated and sickly with tired eyes and a strained face. Let's not even go into the failed outfit, with her Julia Child pearls. Why does she keep wearing fall/winter clothes in the middle of summer? That sweater is just hanging off of her. Gross.

Reactions: 10
Couldn't agree more. I think she's envisioning having it written months in advance, with a lot of calm focused research, ✨aesthetic✨travel, and absolutely no panic or stress - it's a pretty nice dream, but just so unrealistic. Hopefully she realises sooner rather than later that almost every single thing on her list is somewhere between 'unrealistic' and 'absolute lunacy'.

View attachment 648739
Omfg that sounds so childish 😫
View attachment 648739

Reactions: 5
OT but from the sound of it you guys were really lucky with your supervisors! I'm a little bit jelly I must say. My supervisor was not helpful at all, would always have a whatever attitude and I still struggle with managing to write my master thesis all by myself while juggling full time job, mental health issues and home responsibilities ugh. I even believe I've developed some writing block for now :ROFLMAO: Ruby has it so easy in life gahhh.
My supervisor had just done essentially the same research as I was doing, I was so lucky!
But I also remember that my dissertation was inspired by a football match (a WHOLE other conversation 🤣) and I literally started my research that night during my second year, because I loved my topic. But, despite that, I still struggled, you need so much research before finding anything primary, and Ruby has basically said she doesn't want to engage with secondary sources... that's not going to work very well? You need to be able to engage with every type of source..

• Heart
Her hair is starting to look quite bad now, I think this hair style shows it more - you can see it’s started to break off at the top. I know this issue with her has been happening gradually but it really seems like she has started to spiral in the last few weeks and it shows.
reminds me of Holly gabrielle's hair when it's up in a bun

I don't want to totally slag off her diss prep (I'm also going into my final year of an English degree, am starting to research and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing lol). But I think the biggest red flag about her diss so far is exactly that...that she THINKS she knows what she's doing. Realistically nobody knows wtf is going on before they sit down and speak with other people/supervisors, which she hasn't done yet.

I always remember Jack Edwards' diss video in which he said he handed in a draft, the supervisor basically said it was all crap and he had to start all over again. I think that's something most students are aware of and ready to take on board. But I imagine Ruby completely falling apart if something like that happened to her - either that or ignoring the advice completely and continuing, thinking she knows best. At this point shouldn't she just be doing some vague thinking/general reading rather than honing in on anything niche? Feels like her whole summer will be wasted at this rate because she doesn't seem open to the concept that her ideas will change/potentially be shot down by supervisors.

Reactions: 31
I don't understand how she can only use primary sources ... surely she needs critics? Other opinions? Other pieces of writing (essays/articles/op-eds whatever) on the topic?

I don't want to totally slag off her diss prep (I'm also going into my final year of an English degree, am starting to research and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing lol). But I think the biggest red flag about her diss so far is exactly that...that she THINKS she knows what she's doing. Realistically nobody knows wtf is going on before they sit down and speak with other people/supervisors, which she hasn't done yet.

I always remember Jack Edwards' diss video in which he said he handed in a draft, the supervisor basically said it was all crap and he had to start all over again. I think that's something most students are aware of and ready to take on board. But I imagine Ruby completely falling apart if something like that happened to her - either that or ignoring the advice completely and continuing, thinking she knows best. At this point shouldn't she just be doing some vague thinking/general reading rather than honing in on anything niche? Feels like her whole summer will be wasted at this rate because she doesn't seem open to the concept that her ideas will change/potentially be shot down by supervisors.
Good luck!

I was absolutely clueless going into my final year. I had a rough idea of the subject/topic I wanted to write about, and how I wanted to interact with it, but I couldn't work out how to focus it (if that makes sense)?

Something I found EXTREMELY helpful was approaching my supervisor to just talk it out, and try and present my argument (which was hardly an argument just a bunch of points) to see what she thought of it. Obviously she couldn't tell me what to write, but by rambling about it I managed to get a sense of what was interesting and the sort of directions I could go in. ('You're talking a lot about ___, why don't you look at ____?' etc).

You can do the same thing with your friends and classmates. Make sure you've got a pen close because sometimes they say something and it's just a eureka moment, everything falls into place.

Make a note of EVERY piece of reading you do, with a full reference/link (life saving I promise), and don't worry too much about the title until you're submitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
The biggest joke is her writing “I want it to have a dark academia feel” about her future dissertation…grow the duck up

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 77
I don't understand how she can only use primary sources ... surely she needs critics? Other opinions? Other pieces of writing (essays/articles/op-eds whatever) on the topic?

Good luck!

I was absolutely clueless going into my final year. I had a rough idea of the subject/topic I wanted to write about, and how I wanted to interact with it, but I couldn't work out how to focus it (if that makes sense)?

Something I found EXTREMELY helpful was approaching my supervisor to just talk it out, and try and present my argument (which was hardly an argument just a bunch of points) to see what she thought of it. Obviously she couldn't tell me what to write, but by rambling about it I managed to get a sense of what was interesting and the sort of directions I could go in. ('You're talking a lot about ___, why don't you look at ____?' etc).

You can do the same thing with your friends and classmates. Make sure you've got a pen close because sometimes they say something and it's just a eureka moment, everything falls into place.

Make a note of EVERY piece of reading you do, with a full reference/link (life saving I promise), and don't worry too much about the title until you're submitting.

Thank you! That's all super helpful advice - sometimes I get stressed watching all the stuff Ruby does and have to remind myself that she's not normal and she's not doing everything right 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Nah she knows better than them 😌

Honestly Ruby strikes me as a person who would totally quote herself lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
here to give in my 2 cents abt her delusional perspective on her dissertation (even tho I have not yet written one myself lol). I recently graduated from a secondary school program called the ib in which we were basically expected to write a mini dissertation. A research essay with a word count of 4k, in one of our 6 subjects. I can with 100% confidence say that I and all of my 16/17-year-old classmates had a better approach to our research essays than Roobs is approaching her dissertation. First off, none of us chose our topics on the potential ✨ aesthetic ✨of it. I even had to, imagine this Ruby, change my topic slightly in order to get more resources and write a better essay. Just goes to show how much she has refused to learn or mature throughout the last years at uni. Also I hope everyone appreciates my new profile pic ;)

Reactions: 13
here to give in my 2 cents abt her delusional perspective on her dissertation (even tho I have not yet written one myself lol). I recently graduated from a secondary school program called the ib in which we were basically expected to write a mini dissertation. A research essay with a word count of 4k, in one of our 6 subjects. I can with 100% confidence say that I and all of my 16/17-year-old classmates had a better approach to our research essays than Roobs is approaching her dissertation. First off, none of us chose our topics on the potential ✨ aesthetic ✨of it. I even had to, imagine this Ruby, change my topic slightly in order to get more resources and write a better essay. Just goes to show how much she has refused to learn or mature throughout the last years at uni. Also I hope everyone appreciates my new profile pic ;)
Oh hey I did the IB back in the day! Nearly killed myself in the process, too. (Got a 43 though.) Glad in retrospect that all this productivity bs wasn’t a thing back then, I would have dug myself in way too deep. At least I was eventually able to climb out of the hole.

Your profile pic is SO assthetic ✨🤩

• Haha
Reactions: 7
God could you imagine if she did somehow mange to get in? She would crack. If not by the academic atmosphere but also by her colleagues/other students around her. Imagine working so hard and actually being intelligent to get into a postgraduate program at Oxbridge only to find yourself sitting next to Ruby Granger. I would be offended.

Just think of the discussions and criticism that would take place, which Ruby would just turn into "Mummy, daddy, the mean smart kids are bullying me!"
If she got in, I imagine there'd be an influx of additional Oxbridge applications the following year. Not because they want to go to the same uni as her, but because they saw she was accepted, thought 'Wow, they'll let any dumbass in now!' and put in an application where they'd previously ruled out the idea of getting accepted completely because of the uni's high standards.

That or she singlehandedly kills the prestige and allure of attending an Oxbridge school and their drop in standards bites them in the ass. Like if you let a murderous inbred hillbilly family move into an upper-class suburb and then the property values suddenly plummeted as a result.

Also, if she got into Oxbridge, just imagine it: Every single video she uploads will have Oxford University or Cambridge University in the title, regardless of the content or time of year. "I get 6 colonoscopies in a day! Bookish / Dark Academia / Whymsicam / Oxford University"

Couldn't agree more. I think she's envisioning having it written months in advance, with a lot of calm focused research, ✨aesthetic✨travel, and absolutely no panic or stress - it's a pretty nice dream, but just so unrealistic. Hopefully she realises sooner rather than later that almost every single thing on her list is somewhere between 'unrealistic' and 'absolute lunacy'.

View attachment 648739

You are completely right and I can't unsee it now holy tit :LOL:
This list is like a 5 year old child designing their dream home, with no concept of things like practicality, cost, or structural integrity. "I want it to have a rollercoaster inside that whooshes around all the rooms, and a rocketship landing pad that goes pchsttooo! up into the sky to take me to school on the moon, and my bedroom should be a spaceship too, and the kitchen should be a swimming pool where Aquaman lives and there should be unicorn stables in the attic!" She's living in a fantasy world.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Oh hey I did the IB back in the day! Nearly killed myself in the process, too. (Got a 43 though.) Glad in retrospect that all this productivity bs wasn’t a thing back then, I would have dug myself in way too deep. At least I was eventually able to climb out of the hole.

Your profile pic is SO assthetic ✨🤩
congrats thats a really good score! I am most definitely not getting a 43 and I get my grades back tomorrow which is why I am currently on here trying to distract myself lol

• Heart
Reactions: 9

View attachment 648739
I would love to be a fly (dead or alive) on the wall when she says to her supervisor that she wants her dissertation to have a "Dark Academia feel"

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I would love to be a fly (dead or alive) on the wall when she says to her supervisor that she wants her dissertation to have a "Dark Academia feel"
The only appropriate response would be to just slap her upside the head.

• Haha
congrats thats a really good score! I am most definitely not getting a 43 and I get my grades back tomorrow which is why I am currently on here trying to distract myself lol
good luck! You got this! And I found out immediately after having graduated that the score is useless, having passed the IB is the only thing that matters. It’s a tough course but it does carry weight.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Also, if she got into Oxbridge, just imagine it: Every single video she uploads will have Oxford University or Cambridge University in the title, regardless of the content or time of year. "I get 6 colonoscopies in a day! Bookish / Dark Academia / Whymsicam / Oxford University"
ugh I can see it now. Vee did this too by including “Harvard” in every video. I understand being proud but jesus it just becomes annoying after a while.

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.