Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This just came up as suggested for me, I think it was spoken about here before but I never watched it. I can’t believe they’ve gone from being internet friends, to real life friends to not being friends at all in 3 weeks 😩
View attachment 647164
Oh, I think that happens often. Could be something that would happen to me, tough. I'm glad Molly realised whats wrong with Rubeeeey and cut her out of her life. Don't know what's with Blakeney but Molly's actions seem healthy to me.

Reactions: 8
@Deeznutslol There's a thread in the Forum Business section here to request Wiki's be created! https://tattle.life/threads/how-do-you-add-someone-to-tattle-wiki.10590/

I sort of understand why Ruby was looking at different Masters programmes she's interested in. I knew at the start of my second year of a four year degree which I would apply to. It was a helpful long-term goal to focus on. But I also don't think writing a dissertation focused on the programmes is helpful. They will want to see that she has a real passion and drive for Research in the discipline, (alongside the ability to take imitative and work independently) rather than a passion and drive for a particular Masters (does that make sense?)
Thanks 🙏 I’ve just requested one!

Reactions: 3
Im from Hungary and it is simply pronounced paprika (without H) :)
The h was just there to differentiate the different a sounds in English ;)

I think I might try to distance myself from Ruby it's been affecting my mood lately, both her toxicity and me being caught up and negative about it

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with having a long-term goal in mind, and using that to motivate you to do well in the present. But like you say, writing an undergrad dissertation aimed at Masters standards/criteria is completely counterproductive. Her current degree will suffer for it, and even if it doesn't tank her graduating scores, it'll have little bearing on whether she gets accepted for a Masters as they'll look at her wider ability and aptitude. They only have to look at a couple of her videos to see her research skills, work ethic and general ability to speak coherently are utter dogshit.
This is her issue I think. I knew at undergrad what masters I was going to be doing, so I picked a dissertation that would be thematically relevant to the masters so I could be familiar with some of the literature but I told my supervisor what I was aiming for so he could help me build those ideas into an undergrad dissertation. Ruby's issue is she seems to be doing everything without discussing it with her supervisor so she's going to be in for a shock awakening when she does talk to them in September.

Reactions: 15
I get the feeling this is all for the dark academia aesthetic of sitting in some dusty aesthetically pleasing Oxford college library pouring over a manuscript untouched by academics - this is far from reality!
I'd reccomend Ruby read Discovery of Withces to get her fill of that aesthetic instead - the first few chapters are set in the Bodleian. But it might be a bit racy and dark for her.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Her understanding of money really confuses me sometimes, she seems either genuinely oblivious to the privilege of her wealth (I think it was in one of her assumptions videos someone sent in that she was incredibly privileged and her entire answer was “yes I am I have a loving family”, I get what she means but there was literally no mention of anything else), or incredibly smug as we can all work out how much is spent of her for birthday Christmas in terms of what the family is capable of more than anything - but a university video of hers just popped up and she’s fangirling over co-op canned ratatouille but it’s “so expensive for canned food because it’s 85p”

Reactions: 21
This is her issue I think. I knew at undergrad what masters I was going to be doing, so I picked a dissertation that would be thematically relevant to the masters so I could be familiar with some of the literature but I told my supervisor what I was aiming for so he could help me build those ideas into an undergrad dissertation. Ruby's issue is she seems to be doing everything without discussing it with her supervisor so she's going to be in for a shock awakening when she does talk to them in September.
Well she knows better than the professors duhh. She certainly won't like their feedback and I can't wait for that. She's wasting so much time doing it over the summer without consulting it more thoroughly with her supervisor first.

Reactions: 11
Sorry I haven't caught up yet but I am watching her new video.. like less than a minute in and what is that list of words she wants to integrate in her vocabulary?! :')

Also I think she misspelled splendid...

EDIT: She also mispronounced archipelago..... I can't with her anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I don't know whether Ruby is good enough to get into Oxford or Cambridge at postgrad level, but iirc it's a lot less competitive than undergrad studies. Once you get into postgrad territory it's partially about whether you can financially support yourself. Plus if she genuinely is as good as her grades suggest, she's got a decent chance. But I still can't understand how she can be getting those grades when her discussion of literature is so shallow and inarticulate 😂

I don't know whether Ruby is good enough to get into Oxford or Cambridge at postgrad level, but iirc it's a lot less competitive than undergrad studies. Once you get into postgrad territory it's partially about whether you can financially support yourself. Plus if she genuinely is as good as her grades suggest, she's got a decent chance. But I still can't understand how she can be getting those grades when her discussion of literature is so shallow and inarticulate 😂
Yeah I think that if she is getting all firsts she will likely get in -- grades are probably the biggest factor for postgrad at Oxbridge, especially for a course like english. Although some english Mphils at both Ox and Cam have pretty low acceptance rates so who knows. Getting funding is the hardest thing but I don't think she cares, at least at the MPhil level...Curious to see what happens next year, especially as COVID has led to a massive increase in applications

I had this experience when trying to decide on my undergrad final project - I had what I thought was a really interesting idea, but it was immediately shot down by my advisers due to so few papers being published about it.

I'd never really come across any undergrads who had to travel to consult original texts and archives - that's what a typical PhD or MRes student would do. I feel like she wrote that action point for the sake of it, because she just fancies having a look at these things, rather than for their academic benefit. I feel like she thinks she'll get extra marks for getting these sources cited (because those will make her look like she's gone the extra mile), but will ignore the obvious texts that are expected by an academic reader. How can she know that she'll need those sources before she's even pinpointed her project area?

At undergrad level, you aren't expected to reinvent the wheel, so Ruby might be in for a shock if she's trying desperately to be original and publishable. This could one of those times where she tries way too hard, when a 'doing what is needed to get a 1st' approach would be completely reasonable (and recommended I'd imagine), and then gets a mark that doesn't reflect the effort she put in. A dissertation can be ridiculously imaginative, but if it doesn't actually hit the main research criteria well enough, it will never get the high marks.
To be fair, I did travel to conduct interviews and focus groups abroad for my undergrad thesis.. but I studied a social science subject and my thesis was specifically looking at why a current legislative bill had been stalling in parliament for over a decade, so I wanted to interview current decision makers and activists...But for Ruby, it's different: she can probably access all the documents she needs online, especially thanks to how much COVID led to the digitization of archives in a lot of places..I think she is trying to do too much in a short period of time and it will backfire, especially because grading criteria will be tailored to a diss mainly written on secondary sources bc it's an undergrad diss...

I think you hit the nail on the head there: the fact that she wants to look at primary sources without even having a question in mind shows she doesn't really know how to do research

The masters degree she looks at in the video is "MSt English (1830-1914)"and is at Oxford !!!

Still not over the rejection are you Ruby?
She is also looking at the MLitt at Cam which is a two year research masters that does not lead to a PhD... obviously she doesn't need teaching anymore she is an acadeymic now

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
I sincerely hope she does not get into Oxbridge. Her smugness is driving me nuts already.

Reactions: 34
I sincerely hope she does not get into Oxbridge. Her smugness is driving me nuts already.
It would be unbearable. Ruby swanning around in a gown, living the 'dark acadeymia' dream, prattling on about how aesthetic everything is. I honestly think she'd find the other students very intimidating

6B694909-375E-4D12-8D92-CECFCB0FDF2C.jpeg

she’s gone from trying to look like a 12 year old to a grandma
(i’m all for the grandma type of aesthetic but she’s gone from one extreme to the other lol)

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
View attachment 648548
she’s gone from trying to look like a 12 year old to a grandma
(i’m all for the grandma type of aesthetic but she’s gone from one extreme to the other lol)
Her hair is starting to look quite bad now, I think this hair style shows it more - you can see it’s started to break off at the top. I know this issue with her has been happening gradually but it really seems like she has started to spiral in the last few weeks and it shows.

Reactions: 15
Has anyone considered she might be physically unwell? IE may be going through the diagnosis process for something hence the weight loss and doctors appt the other week. As opposed to just assuming an eating disorder I guess…

As a foreign languages student, I just find her very, very careless with language. Like, she has no respect for words in any language, let alone for other cultures in general. Her constant indifference towards learning the right pronunciations and/or spellings of names and concepts is so annoying to me. And the fact that she is a literature student, that she is into learning and academia and aesthetics... 🙃

In the last video, I died a little when she started to twaddle about the phrase "old-worn English" (or sth). No, Roobee, you are not a person who appreciates (the English) language and going off on a little tangent about the beauty of this and that phrase or word does not efface your complete vulgarity towards languages, literatures, and, more importantly, ***high culture*** that you desperately try to incorporate into your confused aesthetics.

Has anyone considered she might be physically unwell? IE may be going through the diagnosis process for something hence the weight loss and doctors appt the other week. As opposed to just assuming an eating disorder I guess…
In light of all the bodychecking, showing small portions, and reading and recommending books about anorexia that she’s been doing for literal YEARS, I’d say it’s highly unlikely that it’s anything else.

The thing about feedback for her dissertation is that whatever tutor she gets can give her the advice, but she’s not obligated to take it. I can see them saying to her “look, going down this route is a bad idea because of X, Y, and Z” - and Ruby reacting the way she did in her latest essay feedback video - she’ll decide that she knows better, they’re underestimating how naturally brilliant she is, and that she’ll show them by doing what she wants anyway.

Cue a follow up video a few months later crying over the bad results and how unappreciated her genius is.

In the latest pic above she looks so thin and frail - it's very worrying.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.