Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For the English dissertation at Exeter (at least when I was there), we only had a certain number of times we could see our tutor in person to discuss it. Also to receive feedback, as while we can bounce off ideas it has to be substantially our own work.

In terms of written feedback, you are allowed to submit one 1000 word extract (usually an introduction) and from there you can only run past ideas over email.
Dissertation feedback is not the same as week to week discussions Ruby is going to. Those limits are there as part of exam fairness, and to uphold the integrity of the assessment. They are not there for general support or discussion and advice around the subject.

Reactions: 4
Ah yes, "the islands of our... *jump cut* ...archipLAYgo".

Love how she reads it out so casually as if she knows what the word means

There is a Canadian booktuber called Emma, her Youtube name is *Emmie*, (yes the asterisks are part of her name) who is studying English and classics and who loves to talk about books in such a calm, sweet, introspective way, and she reads a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction from every age group and genre. Her videos are very calm and cozy, and the way she talks about the books she reads always make me want to read them, even if the review is negative.

She is not a "studytuber", as she is recovering from a concussion and so has had to take a break from her course until next term (or maybe longer I'm not sure) but even before that, she was never about the productivity side of her course, but just the sheer love of books and words and language.

So it may not be "motivating" in the same way Ruby's are (or should I say were) intended to be, but they still inspire me to read more outside my comfort zone and consider the text from different angles, which is what studying literature is all about.

And most importantly she seems like a real, normal, functioning person!
Emma's YT is great! You can tell she really loves literature in a way that isn't forced or pretentious. Kate Pfeil is another similar channel I follow with a bit more of an academic slant - she really knows her stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Emma's YT is great! You can tell she really loves literature in a way that isn't forced or pretentious. Kate Pfeil is another similar channel I follow with a bit more of an academic slant - she really knows her stuff.
oooh, interesting, will check her out!

Reactions: 4
Well she knows better than the professors duhh. She certainly won't like their feedback and I can't wait for that. She's wasting so much time doing it over the summer without consulting it more thoroughly with her supervisor first.
Who's to say she's not found out where her supervisor lives and isn't already bombarding them with wax-sealed letters, emails, and links to her Notion boards?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I still feel sorry for poor Mr Aldridge, always in our thoughts. Love you king hope you can recover from Erimentha and her daily questioning of your personal life

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I still feel sorry for poor Mr Aldridge, always in our thoughts. Love you king hope you can recover from Erimentha and her daily questioning of your personal life
Mr. A, constantly having PTSD flashbacks to Erimentha's interruptions and corrections. "Did you know?..."

Rest easy, big man. Your time in the foxhole is over now.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
This is a bit out of context but I had a look at Molly's youtube channel and I really like watching her videos! Such a breath of fresh air after Ruby's content. Her videos seem so much more authentic and genuine, esp. her readathon.

Reactions: 12
I sincerely hope she does not get into Oxbridge. Her smugness is driving me nuts already.
God could you imagine if she did somehow mange to get in? She would crack. If not by the academic atmosphere but also by her colleagues/other students around her. Imagine working so hard and actually being intelligent to get into a postgraduate program at Oxbridge only to find yourself sitting next to Ruby Granger. I would be offended.

Just think of the discussions and criticism that would take place, which Ruby would just turn into "Mummy, daddy, the mean smart kids are bullying me!"

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I'm sure it's been discussed, but the list of things Ruby is looking at wanting for her dissertation?
Having to travel to use primary resources, about the type of supervisor she wants...
It can't just be me, when I was writing my dissertation I'd often work on it at 3/4 in the morning because I couldn't sleep I was that stressed about it and had so many other deadlines to work on? I can't imagine that, and then having the added burden of entire days travelling to/from resources? I also just got randomly allocated to a supervisor, I didn't get to choose.
I can't help but feel she's approaching her dissertation with a (very large) pair of rose-tinted goggles, and she's going to be harshly disappointed that it isn't all travelling for resources and lighting a candle to write, I was so ill after handing mine in from the stress of doing it, she's not seeming to go about this in a very 'adult' way

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Ok lads, the mods have kindly added a wiki for us. So far all I’ve done is just added all of the links to the erimentha chapter reviews to it, anyone is able to edit it so if you’re up for writing an overview of Ruby and her shenanigans, then fire away!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
God could you imagine if she did somehow mange to get in? She would crack. If not by the academic atmosphere but also by her colleagues/other students around her. Imagine working so hard and actually being intelligent to get into a postgraduate program at Oxbridge only to find yourself sitting next to Ruby Granger. I would be offended.
Not only that, but she could no longer kid herself that she's the most 'gifted' and 'exceptional' person there, because everyone at Oxbridge would have similar if not better academic and extra-curricular profiles.

Reactions: 15
View attachment 648548
she’s gone from trying to look like a 12 year old to a grandma
(i’m all for the grandma type of aesthetic but she’s gone from one extreme to the other lol)
This is so unrelated but she looks exactly like how I imagine a character from The Magnus Archives podcast and if I ever cosplay the character, I’m taking inspiration from this outfit 😂 ty for the unexpected inspiration Ruby!!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm sure it's been discussed, but the list of things Ruby is looking at wanting for her dissertation?
Having to travel to use primary resources, about the type of supervisor she wants...
It can't just be me, when I was writing my dissertation I'd often work on it at 3/4 in the morning because I couldn't sleep I was that stressed about it and had so many other deadlines to work on? I can't imagine that, and then having the added burden of entire days travelling to/from resources? I also just got randomly allocated to a supervisor, I didn't get to choose.
I can't help but feel she's approaching her dissertation with a (very large) pair of rose-tinted goggles, and she's going to be harshly disappointed that it isn't all travelling for resources and lighting a candle to write, I was so ill after handing mine in from the stress of doing it, she's not seeming to go about this in a very 'adult' way
My experience of writing my undergrad dissertation was very similar to yours (although I did get some say over my supervisor). Though I think that a lot of people when starting out with their undergrad diss can be idealistic about how much work they'll get done. I don't know anyone who was satisfied with how much material they were able to get through, or the types of resources they were able to consult in the time + word count restraints. I guess it's one of those things where the more you learn about something, the more you find there is to do/learn. Part of writing your first independent research project is knowing when to stop and what's realistic to achieve. I do think though that given Ruby's financial privilege and material comfort etc., generating income as an influencer (where she can earn money by literally uploading a half-ass vlog of her day), not having many social commitments, she will have the time and the resources that most students will not. She is not the typical student - if she wants to travel to use archives or special collections, she has the money and the time to do that, unnecessary as it may be at this stage in her academic life. Going to that effort won't necessarily get her extra marks though - afaik, my university doesn't reward aspects of the dissertation that were only possible due to personal wealth e.g. being able to buy expensive and obscure books that aren't in the library.

Reactions: 11
This is so unrelated but she looks exactly like how I imagine a character from The Magnus Archives podcast and if I ever cosplay the character, I’m taking inspiration from this outfit 😂 ty for the unexpected inspiration Ruby!!
ok I have to know which character!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My experience of writing my undergrad dissertation was very similar to yours (although I did get some say over my supervisor). Though I think that a lot of people when starting out with their undergrad diss can be idealistic about how much work they'll get done. I don't know anyone who was satisfied with how much material they were able to get through, or the types of resources they were able to consult in the time + word count restraints. I guess it's one of those things where the more you learn about something, the more you find there is to do/learn. Part of writing your first independent research project is knowing when to stop and what's realistic to achieve. I do think though that given Ruby's financial privilege and material comfort etc., generating income as an influencer (where she can earn money by literally uploading a half-ass vlog of her day), not having many social commitments, she will have the time and the resources that most students will not. She is not the typical student - if she wants to travel to use archives or special collections, she has the money and the time to do that, unnecessary as it may be at this stage in her academic life. Going to that effort won't necessarily get her extra marks though - afaik, my university doesn't reward aspects of the dissertation that were only possible due to personal wealth e.g. being able to buy expensive and obscure books that aren't in the library.
OT but from the sound of it you guys were really lucky with your supervisors! I'm a little bit jelly I must say. My supervisor was not helpful at all, would always have a whatever attitude and I still struggle with managing to write my master thesis all by myself while juggling full time job, mental health issues and home responsibilities ugh. I even believe I've developed some writing block for now :ROFLMAO: Ruby has it so easy in life gahhh.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Gertrude? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Especially from an undergrad perspective! To write a good dissertation you need to be well researched and read within the field of interest before even tackling primary sources for your own research. If you're not familiar with the field you can't get the most out of primary sources and manuscripts. Knowing the field like the back of your hand is what allows you to read and analyze the sources for your own research.

She's bold in assuming she can just jump right to primary sources without studying the field for a period of time. It would make more sense for her to write something regarding current discourse and/or debates within the field shes interested in (like Victorian Childhood) and then focus on manuscripts and primary resources in postgrad. She'd go into postgrad with a better understanding of the field in general which would help her in the long run.

BUT ALAS this is Ruby we're talking about and of course she thinks she's an expert in her dissertation ideas. Sorry to break it to you Ruby but falling down a Wikipedia hole about victorian childhood isn't proper research and does not make you an expert in the field.

Reactions: 18
Couldn't agree more. I think she's envisioning having it written months in advance, with a lot of calm focused research, ✨aesthetic✨travel, and absolutely no panic or stress - it's a pretty nice dream, but just so unrealistic. Hopefully she realises sooner rather than later that almost every single thing on her list is somewhere between 'unrealistic' and 'absolute lunacy'.

1625493114046.png

Gertrude? 😂
You are completely right and I can't unsee it now holy tit :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 18
OT but from the sound of it you guys were really lucky with your supervisors! I'm a little bit jelly I must say. My supervisor was not helpful at all, would always have a whatever attitude and I still struggle with managing to write my master thesis all by myself while juggling full time job, mental health issues and home responsibilities ugh. I even believe I've developed some writing block for now :ROFLMAO: Ruby has it so easy in life gahhh.
Oh absolutely, I have a few horror stories but the majority of the supervisors I've worked with so far have been great. I'm sorry to hear yours was so useless. I think that having an attentive supervisor has a huge impact on the experience of writing a diss, and it can even impact the final result because it makes a big difference when you get assigned someone who has good familiarity with the topic and can make reading recommendations.

My predictions: I do wonder if Ruby will choose a topic that means she can work with a professor she knows already, someone who gives her lots of praise. I also wonder if she will choose a topic where she gets to use Oxford/Cambridge archive holdings...I wouldn't be surprised.

P.S. I know it's probably just a typo, but 'maunscripts' in the Notion screenshot made me laugh :LOL:

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.