Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The music she chooses makes my teeth itch it's always so loud and never fits the vibe of the video

Reactions: 23
I’m new to the ruby Molly drama so sorry if this has been answered, but how do we know that they aren’t friends anymore? Seems like Molly has just unfollowed, maybe they had a private discussion
Molly made a point of saying unfollowing toxic people online and in real life was a power move and the key to maintaining good mental health. Emphasis was on the "and real life" part. Could still be a general statement, but it seemed very telling considering the reason for her posting it.

God, this new video is just the epitome of Ruby laziness. There's not even a lot of fun cringe, it's just lazy and pathetic.

This is a video that was filmed weeks ago and should've been uploaded as part of her weekly "university" vlogs, but she clearly didn't think it was worth it then, and has now thrown it online just to fill a gap in her upload schedule.

Naturally, the title of the video barely reflects the content. Ruby apparently believes that wearing her plaid dress thing it all it takes to meet the criteria of being a dark academia video.

Yeah, that's not how you approach an academic endeavor like a thesis, Ruby. An aesthetic is fine to decide your fashion style or your room decor. For anything else you need to move on from it and make decisions like a sensible adult
Yeah, this is some of the most backwards-ass, idiotic "planning" from her in a long time.

"I'm choosing my topic based on what I think I'll enjoy." Don't do that. Choose your topic based on what you think you can write a more interesting and well-supported argument for in your dissertation. You may adore Victorian children's literature, but how much you enjoy reading it doesn't mean a thing academically if you have nothing to say about it. And now she's wasting time writing pro and con lists about what she likes about each subjects instead of brainstorming thesis arguments and ideas. The queen of productivity, everyone.

For research, she wants to look at real documents and ideally, wants to travel to see them to gather primary research (although I'm unclear what "primary research" means in her mind.) What purpose does that serve, other than being a superficial waste of time, money and effort? Almost any meaningful research required for an undergrad dissertation can be found archived online or acquired through the library. Planning a globe-trotting excursion around the UK to look at letters and books (during the third wave of a pandemic, no less) makes no sense. And I don't exactly have an abundance of faith in Ruby's ability to source and compile meaningful primary research considering her feedback on previous essays was "stop making sweeping generalisations about supporting research" and "stop cramming random tit in the footnotes."

You can tell she's really aiming for a publishable work for her dissertation and is looking at Masters-level research techniques, but considering Ruby's usual planning, standard of work and her clear 'aesthetics first' approach, that's going to backfire massively. In the immortal words of TLC: "Don't go chasing waterfalls. Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to." Remember what happened last time you tried to go off and do something ambitious? You ended up crying on the internet over a 2:2. Don't be stupid.

"This book was so expensive...it was £25!" Ruby, I've said it before, I'll say it again: Going out of your way to act like you aren't ridiculously wealthy isn't endearing and doesn't make you relatable. It's just transparent and fake. Just say "I bought this book." Boom. Done.

"I'm going to do a tonne of reading and research at Waterstones." Oh, god. Ruby has the entirety of Exeter Uni's library available to her (and this would've been more "Dark Academia", too) but she chose Waterstones as her research hub of operations. I'm sure it has nothing to do with being able to sit out in public and look "productive" for the everyday peasants to see. In the uni library, everyone's there to study (and likely doing it better than Ruby) but at Waterstones, she's a big fish in a small pond (in her mind, anyway.) Superficial aesthetics over substance yet again.

And she's already compiling a list of projects she can do instead of a dissertation, so her interest is already waning. Umm, do they even let you do that? I know for English Lit, my having to do a dissertation was pretty set in stone, the only lee-way was the subject we got to choose.

And of course, no mask in public (before she got vaccinated, too) until she makes a show of putting one on to leave Waterstones. Ruby, you've just been sat maskless for ages in an enclosed room with other people. Putting a mask on to leave the room is worthless. You'd already be neck-deep in the 'rona. You're a clown. Wait, did she just leave Waterstones, to film the outside of Waterstones, just to go back into Waterstones. What the hell is this editing? Did she go into a different Waterstones? God, this is like a David Lynch film. Why is there repeated footage of her holding up that Shakespeare Motley book?

Ah, finally, we're at Exeter Library! Oh. We're gone again. So...in this "Daily University Vlog" about planning and researching for a dissertation, there's exactly zero footage at the university. For a "dark academia" video, where university libraries are a given, there's exactly one frame of the Exeter Library sign, and that wasn't even the university library, it was the public library. Just give up, Ruby. Making video content is not your calling.

Wait, she focused on the Shakespeare book twice, but she didn't buy it because she wanted to buy a book when she went book shopping with Blakeney later in the week? In what sane person's mind does this make sense? "I could buy the book now and read and enjoy it right away, or I could wait several days, then buy it for the exact same price then." We know money's not an issue. This is very clearly "I want to be doing the exact same thing Blakeney does. If she buys a book and I don't, she'll have beaten me. The balance in our lives will have shifted." She's completely insane.

And "pah-prika"? What's with the hard emphasis on "pah" and the weird pause before "prika"? It's a single word, you dolt, and it's pronounced "puhprika."

Oh, of course, lots of prolonged shots of her eating tiny portions. God, Ruby, just return to the sea, you barnacle.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Quick recap for anyone who didn't want to watch!

View attachment 647559
Ok let's just have some fun with this shall we? Firstly, yeah the first three, what the duck??? Now then, the rest. Ephemeral does not mean "doesn't last forever". Ephemeral means "lasting briefly" or "transient". Those are not the same thing. Something can last for an incredibly long time and still not last forever. Somebody has already pointed out that sumptious is not a word - if she isn't even managing to write them down properly, no wonder she uses and spells them wrong. As someone who studied languages (albeit ancient ones) all through uni, I'm in physical pain at the lack of care she has taken in copying words down properly. Also yes, it doesn't mean cosy. We're going to come back to mellifluous in a second because I have a rant. Opulence as has already been pointed out is a noun, luxurious is an adjective. Similarly surreptitious is an adjective, and therefore does not mean "act clandestinely". Surreptitious simply means "clandestine". I would unfriend anyone who used the word "vellichor" unironically, sweet Jesus.

Now mellifluous. Confession, mellifluous is one of my favourite words. As Ruby might say, it's just wonderful! It means pleasant or sweet sounding, but it's so much more. It comes from the Latin words for "honey" and "to flow", so it's essentially describing a sound which is the aural equivalent of flowing honey. I just love the idea of a sound that's as rich and smooth and sweet as honey, and for some reason I also get a slight feeling of synesthesia with it, where the sound also somehow reflects the colour of honey. It's one of the most fantastically evocative words I've come across in terms of what it conveys to me. I would also never use it. Because seriously, what wanker goes around saying tit like "mellifluous"? Sure, it would probably make sense in some writing (good writing, Ruby, don't start getting ideas) but in every day speech? No.

Also does anyone else find the whole concept of words she wants to "work into her everyday vocabulary" a bit odd? Don't get me wrong, writing down words you're unfamiliar with in order to learn more is something I would encourage anyone to do, but not with the aim of awkwardly crowbarring them into conversation for the next month?? Particularly when I get the sense she doesn't quite have a grasp over the concept of register (odd for an English student). Mellifluous belongs solidly to a high register of writing I would say, as does vellichor (which btw isn't recognised by the OED), and tbh I'd be surprised to hear "loquacious" or "ephemeral" in everyday conversation super often. Ruby doesn't seem to quite understand that using these words don't automatically make you smart. If you use a word like "mellifluous" in everyday conversation with your mates (not that Ruby's going to have any left soon), you're probably using it wrong because you've misunderstood the register within which that word typically operates. Of course there will always be exceptions, but to use a word properly you have to take into consideration the context within which you're using it.

Rant over. (Bonus though, I also love the word "ululate"! Another one I would probably laugh at someone attempting to use in everyday conversation, but a great word nonetheless).

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I’m thinking maybe we could do with a wiki on this thread, it’s quite active and moves fast so people are missing stuff and getting confused. Anyone know how to do it?

Reactions: 25
As someone who studied languages (albeit ancient ones) all through uni, I'm in physical pain at the lack of care she has taken in copying words down properly.
Don't watch Jade try to learn German then - her vocab lists are atrocious!! Conjugated verbs with the translation in the infinitive, nouns without the article/gender...

It's almost as if Ruby has created this list, providing definitions of what she *thinks* the words mean...

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Ruby's obsession with dark academia and all those other ~aesthetics~ is so immature. The idea that she is choosing a dissertation topic based on whether or not it fits the dark academia theme makes me cringe so hard!😬Hopefully soon she will start to see just how childishly she is behaving, because it's really embarassing...🤦‍♀️

Also, I'm disappoined that all of the YouTubers that I used to watch in order to motivate me to work hard have let me down.🤨Who am I supposed to use as inspiration now? Ruby is a complete idiot (and evidently a horrible, selfish person), Holly admittedly works hard but she is in no way a role model and she looks awful these days (there's something really off about her face--she needs some proper food), Jack Edwards is doing a good job with his book content but still has no goals or sense of direction, no personality and no fashion sense (copying Harry Styles is not the same as having "style", it's just called being unoriginal🙄). Oh, and Unjaded Jade comes accross as depressingly unintelligent too, as well as completely out-of-touch with the world around her. All of these people who studied incredibly hard while they were in school (and who I looked up to) have only served to prove that busywork not only gets you nowhere in life (big surprise), but also inhibits you from developing into a mature, well-adjusted adult... They are the opposite of role-models, and I watch them to remind me to get out of my house, expose myself to as many alternate viewpoints as possible and live a little.😂 However, I do kind of miss relying on external sources of motivation in order to get myself to be ~productive~...😅 I probably shouldn't ask here, but if anyone knows of any YouTubers in the same vein as Ruby/Holly/Jade etc. who act like real, functional adults, I would be very grateful if you could drop some recs!😊

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Fellow tattlers I apologise I missed the all important premiere of Ruby's ground breaking new video as I had to go to this place called work where you turn up work hard for 12hours then they pay you money at the end off the month

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Fellow tattlers I apologise I missed the all important premiere of Ruby's ground breaking new video as I had to go to this place called work where you turn up work hard for 12hours then they pay you money at the end off the month
Please keep things on-topic here; actually working for money is a completely irrelevant subject in the thread about Ruby Granger.

• Haha
Reactions: 72
Questionable priorities tbh

As penance, please list ten words you know neither the meaning nor the spelling of, and incorporate them into conversation at teatime tomorrow!

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Please keep things on-topic here; actually working for money is a completely irrelevant subject in the thread about Ruby Granger.
Your correct tomorrow I will go send my little boy up a chimney whilst I stay at home drinking tea

• Haha
Reactions: 35
The music she chooses makes my teeth itch it's always so loud and never fits the vibe of the video
Yes! So over dramatic, as if the version she holds of herself is getting edgier. And also her facial expression, hasn't it got more serious and affected? It's like she's starting to vlog for us tatters now, with all of those intense glances at the camera :sick:

Reactions: 7
Quick recap for anyone who didn't want to watch!

View attachment 647559

Excuse the weird screenshot - taken from 32 seconds into the video. I was going to pick a couple of these words to talk about - only a couple of them are particularly uncommon, but there's just too much to unpack here (especially the first three, holy tit)

At the beginning of the video, she says that she would like to write a dissertation about Victorian children's literature, 'Emily Dickinson's handwritten manuscripts', or 'boy actors in Shakespearean original productions' (all direct quotes, excuse me while I scream into the void), because these are the things that she's 'really, really interested in'. However, she also wants to keep in mind the masters' program that she's planning to do (has she mentioned this in other videos?)

Attempts to narrow down dissertation topic for the morning included writing down pros-and-cons lists of why she's interested in each of the topics, and additionally reading more into the masters' programs that she's interested in (clip at 2:56-ish for anyone interested in pausing to read)

List of 'What I'm Looking for in my Dissertation' at 4:55, for anyone interested in pausing - including highlights such as 'dark academia feel' and 'new and original'. She clicks on a list named 'Dissertation Topic Ideas' but then cuts out the clip before you can see what's on the page - bad editing? decision to not share? and then mentions her three primary topics of interest as being 'Victorian letter writing, Girlhood in Jacobean England, and Alice in Wonderland in relation to writing children's books'. Shout-out to all the Tattlers who absolutely called it.

Decides she doesn't want to focus on Emily Dickinson, which is apparently what she's spent her entire degree wanting to write, but had a change of heart.

While doing internship work - reads out the phrase 'so you will have to be content with English still [dearheart?], with my old, worn, English words' and then repeats the phrase 'old, worn English words' with 'how lovely is that?'

Not a great deal else in the vlog, imo. Cinematic music (I watched this on 1.75x, which made the soundtrack a lot more entertaining - the music around 8 minutes in sounded pretty great sped up, for the 0 people who were wondering), candles, lots of food shots as mentioned before.

Unrelated to the video, but sending much love to everyone on the thread struggling with EDs. One day at a time, you can get through this. Best wishes and support from a fellow ED sufferer <3
The "Opulence" made me think of this!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
It looks like she’s also looking at Cambridge masters- that red crest on the tabs is for them. If jack edwards can’t then surely ruby wouldn’t either?

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Molly made a point of saying unfollowing toxic people online and in real life was a power move and the key to maintaining good mental health. Emphasis was on the "and real life" part. Could still be a general statement, but it seemed very telling considering the reason for her posting it.

God, this new video is just the epitome of Ruby laziness. There's not even a lot of fun cringe, it's just lazy and pathetic.

This is a video that was filmed weeks ago and should've been uploaded as part of her weekly "university" vlogs, but she clearly didn't think it was worth it then, and has now thrown it online just to fill a gap in her upload schedule.

Naturally, the title of the video barely reflects the content. Ruby apparently believes that wearing her plaid dress thing it all it takes to meet the criteria of being a dark academia video.

Yeah, this is some of the most backwards-ass, idiotic "planning" from her in a long time.

"I'm choosing my topic based on what I think I'll enjoy." Don't do that. Choose your topic based on what you think you can write a more interesting and well-supported argument for in your dissertation. You may adore Victorian children's literature, but how much you enjoy reading it doesn't mean a thing academically if you have nothing to say about it. And now she's wasting time writing pro and con lists about what she likes about each subjects instead of brainstorming thesis arguments and ideas. The queen of productivity, everyone.

For research, she wants to look at real documents and ideally, wants to travel to see them to gather primary research (although I'm unclear what "primary research" means in her mind.) What purpose does that serve, other than being a superficial waste of time, money and effort? Almost any meaningful research required for an undergrad dissertation can be found archived online or acquired through the library. Planning a globe-trotting excursion around the UK to look at letters and books (during the third wave of a pandemic, no less) makes no sense. And I don't exactly have an abundance of faith in Ruby's ability to source and compile meaningful primary research considering her feedback on previous essays was "stop making sweeping generalisations about supporting research" and "stop cramming random tit in the footnotes."

You can tell she's really aiming for a publishable work for her dissertation and is looking at Masters-level research techniques, but considering Ruby's usual planning, standard of work and her clear 'aesthetics first' approach, that's going to backfire massively. In the immortal words of TLC: "Don't go chasing waterfalls. Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to." Remember what happened last time you tried to go off and do something ambitious? You ended up crying on the internet over a 2:2. Don't be stupid.

"This book was so expensive...it was £25!" Ruby, I've said it before, I'll say it again: Going out of your way to act like you aren't ridiculously wealthy isn't endearing and doesn't make you relatable. It's just transparent and fake. Just say "I bought this book." Boom. Done.

"I'm going to do a tonne of reading and research at Waterstones." Oh, god. Ruby has the entirety of Exeter Uni's library available to her (and this would've been more "Dark Academia", too) but she chose Waterstones as her research hub of operations. I'm sure it has nothing to do with being able to sit out in public and look "productive" for the everyday peasants to see. In the uni library, everyone's there to study (and likely doing it better than Ruby) but at Waterstones, she's a big fish in a small pond (in her mind, anyway.) Superficial aesthetics over substance yet again.

And she's already compiling a list of projects she can do instead of a dissertation, so her interest is already waning. Umm, do they even let you do that? I know for English Lit, my having to do a dissertation was pretty set in stone, the only lee-way was the subject we got to choose.
I don't know anything about the kind of work you're expected to produce for a Bachelor's Degree dissertation in the UK, but I have just completed my own Bachelor's dissertation (and I'm graduating next week, yay) and from my point of view, the way she's approaching it is completely wrong. It sounds like she's going to bite off more than she can chew. You're not an archaeologist looking for clues around the country or a writer researching their next novel, Ruby.

Reactions: 21

And of course, no mask in public (before she got vaccinated, too) until she makes a show of putting one on to leave Waterstones. Ruby, you've just been sat maskless for ages in an enclosed room with other people. Putting a mask on to leave the room is worthless. You'd already be neck-deep in the 'rona. You're a clown. Wait, did she just leave Waterstones, to film the outside of Waterstones, just to go back into Waterstones. What the hell is this editing? Did she go into a different Waterstones? God, this is like a David Lynch film. Why is there repeated footage of her holding up that Shakespeare Motley book?

Ah, finally, we're at Exeter Library! Oh. We're gone again. So...in this "Daily University Vlog" about planning and researching for a dissertation, there's exactly zero footage at the university. For a "dark academia" video, where university libraries are a given, there's exactly one frame of the Exeter Library sign, and that wasn't even the university library, it was the public library. Just give up, Ruby. Making video content is not your calling.

Wait, she focused on the Shakespeare book twice, but she didn't buy it because she wanted to buy a book when she went book shopping with Blakeney later in the week? In what sane person's mind does this make sense? "I could buy the book now and read and enjoy it right away, or I could wait several days, then buy it for the exact same price then." We know money's not an issue. This is very clearly "I want to be doing the exact same thing Blakeney does. If she buys a book and I don't, she'll have beaten me. The balance in our lives will have shifted." She's completely insane.

And "pah-prika"? What's with the hard emphasis on "pah" and the weird pause before "prika"? It's a single word, you dolt, and it's pronounced "puhprika."

Oh, of course, lots of prolonged shots of her eating tiny portions. God, Ruby, just return to the sea, you barnacle.
well if I'm not mistaken pah-prika is closer to the Hungarian pronunciation and that's where the spice originated from/was popularised at least? but Ruby DEFINITELY wouldn't be basing her pronunciation off of that lol for sure

• Heart
Reactions: 8
well if I'm not mistaken pah-prika is closer to the Hungarian pronunciation and that's where the spice originated from/was popularised at least? but Ruby DEFINITELY wouldn't be basing her pronunciation off of that lol for sure
We also pronounce it pah-prika (with the emphasis on the first syllable) in Italian

Reactions: 8
I’m thinking maybe we could do with a wiki on this thread, it’s quite active and moves fast so people are missing stuff and getting confused. Anyone know how to do it?
Unfortunately this is probably the best way of keeping track of Ruby, wikipedia would not be the place for this sort of things.

This forum works similar to the KiwiFarms ( but with obvious differences), to make a Wiki would start a similar situation to Chris-Chan and the CWCki, which is something that I would not want to wish on anyone. Its one thing to gossip, but when you start cataloging someones life it becomes bullying imo.

The only solution I can suggest is making another Forum thread which contains key information and major events.

Reactions: 6
It looks like she’s also looking at Cambridge masters- that red crest on the tabs is for them. If jack edwards can’t then surely ruby wouldn’t either?
Omg imagine if she did though! And even if she applied and didn't get in imagine all the videos we'll get about her rejection. Idk what would happen IF she gets in

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Omg imagine if she did though! And even if she applied and didn't get in imagine all the videos we'll get about her rejection. Idk what would happen IF she gets in
I think if she got rejected she would pull a Jack Edwards and just pretend that she had decided not to study a masters...😅

In his masters rejection video he made a huge deal about how determined he was to try again and "prove them wrong" (lmao), but then when decision season rolled around the next year he never addressed it in any of his videos, and just sent out a vague tweet which just said something like "I'm not going to be doing a masters this year"...must have been embarassed to be rejected three times.😂Can see Ruby doind the same thing tbh!

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.