Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

From the looks of it, this was the video which isn't an ED related video it actually seems pretty healthy. Its not exactly triggering, but her watching it could potentially indicate a preoccupation with food.

(TW) If she does have an ED I feel like it might be to blame for her sparse content recently. When you first get an ED obsessing over food in a secretive way feels kind of exciting and becomes your primary interest, meaning academics/hobbies have less time. For whatever reason she's lost weight I hope she gets help soon.
Of course, this video by itself isn't triggering or even ED-related, but in context of Ruby's triggering affairs it's not so obvious...

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Ruby's obsession with dark academia and all those other ~aesthetics~ is so immature. The idea that she is choosing a dissertation topic based on whether or not it fits the dark academia theme makes me cringe so hard!😬Hopefully soon she will start to see just how childishly she is behaving, because it's really embarassing...πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

Also, I'm disappoined that all of the YouTubers that I used to watch in order to motivate me to work hard have let me down.🀨Who am I supposed to use as inspiration now? Ruby is a complete idiot (and evidently a horrible, selfish person), Holly admittedly works hard but she is in no way a role model and she looks awful these days (there's something really off about her face--she needs some proper food), Jack Edwards is doing a good job with his book content but still has no goals or sense of direction, no personality and no fashion sense (copying Harry Styles is not the same as having "style", it's just called being unoriginalπŸ™„). Oh, and Unjaded Jade comes accross as depressingly unintelligent too, as well as completely out-of-touch with the world around her. All of these people who studied incredibly hard while they were in school (and who I looked up to) have only served to prove that busywork not only gets you nowhere in life (big surprise), but also inhibits you from developing into a mature, well-adjusted adult... They are the opposite of role-models, and I watch them to remind me to get out of my house, expose myself to as many alternate viewpoints as possible and live a little.πŸ˜‚ However, I do kind of miss relying on external sources of motivation in order to get myself to be ~productive~...πŸ˜… I probably shouldn't ask here, but if anyone knows of any YouTubers in the same vein as Ruby/Holly/Jade etc. who act like real, functional adults, I would be very grateful if you could drop some recs!😊
I love Yoora Jung! She’s just finished a pre-med degree and has loads of content of her in university. Also I relate to her working rather more than people like Ruby and Holly πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚ she doesn’t pretend to be perfect or productive 100% of the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Doesn't she already have a section in her LinkedIn for her "voiceover work"
With zero examples of her work listed. Might as well have put "professional acrobat" on there because she prances around in her yard. Also, considering Blakeney has done narration for non-profit library audiobooks before, I'm shocked Ruby didn't rush to do something similar (but for money, because Ruby doesn't do anything unpaid) or release an Erimenthol audiobook. Can't have Blakeney having anything unique to her!

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I always get the feeling that deliberately drinks tea as a way of filling herself up, she drinks way to much.......

Reactions: 12
I think she was trying to make thesis into its plural form? I couldn't tell. But she DID pronounce archipelago as "archiplelago"
Ah yes, "the islands of our... *jump cut* ...archipLAYgo".

Love how she reads it out so casually as if she knows what the word means

Ruby's obsession with dark academia and all those other ~aesthetics~ is so immature. The idea that she is choosing a dissertation topic based on whether or not it fits the dark academia theme makes me cringe so hard!😬Hopefully soon she will start to see just how childishly she is behaving, because it's really embarassing...πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

Also, I'm disappoined that all of the YouTubers that I used to watch in order to motivate me to work hard have let me down.🀨Who am I supposed to use as inspiration now? Ruby is a complete idiot (and evidently a horrible, selfish person), Holly admittedly works hard but she is in no way a role model and she looks awful these days (there's something really off about her face--she needs some proper food), Jack Edwards is doing a good job with his book content but still has no goals or sense of direction, no personality and no fashion sense (copying Harry Styles is not the same as having "style", it's just called being unoriginalπŸ™„). Oh, and Unjaded Jade comes accross as depressingly unintelligent too, as well as completely out-of-touch with the world around her. All of these people who studied incredibly hard while they were in school (and who I looked up to) have only served to prove that busywork not only gets you nowhere in life (big surprise), but also inhibits you from developing into a mature, well-adjusted adult... They are the opposite of role-models, and I watch them to remind me to get out of my house, expose myself to as many alternate viewpoints as possible and live a little.πŸ˜‚ However, I do kind of miss relying on external sources of motivation in order to get myself to be ~productive~...πŸ˜… I probably shouldn't ask here, but if anyone knows of any YouTubers in the same vein as Ruby/Holly/Jade etc. who act like real, functional adults, I would be very grateful if you could drop some recs!😊
There is a Canadian booktuber called Emma, her Youtube name is *Emmie*, (yes the asterisks are part of her name) who is studying English and classics and who loves to talk about books in such a calm, sweet, introspective way, and she reads a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction from every age group and genre. Her videos are very calm and cozy, and the way she talks about the books she reads always make me want to read them, even if the review is negative.

She is not a "studytuber", as she is recovering from a concussion and so has had to take a break from her course until next term (or maybe longer I'm not sure) but even before that, she was never about the productivity side of her course, but just the sheer love of books and words and language.

So it may not be "motivating" in the same way Ruby's are (or should I say were) intended to be, but they still inspire me to read more outside my comfort zone and consider the text from different angles, which is what studying literature is all about.

And most importantly she seems like a real, normal, functioning person!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Ah yes, "the islands of our... *jump cut* ...archipLAYgo".

Love how she reads it out so casually as if she knows what the word means

There is a Canadian booktuber called Emma, her Youtube name is *Emmie*, (yes the asterisks are part of her name) who is studying English and classics and who loves to talk about books in such a calm, sweet, introspective way, and she reads a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction from every age group and genre. Her videos are very calm and cozy, and the way she talks about the books she reads always make me want to read them, even if the review is negative.

She is not a "studytuber", as she is recovering from a concussion and so has had to take a break from her course until next term (or maybe longer I'm not sure) but even before that, she was never about the productivity side of her course, but just the sheer love of books and words and language.

So it may not be "motivating" in the same way Ruby's are (or should I say were) intended to be, but they still inspire me to read more outside my comfort zone and consider the text from different angles, which is what studying literature is all about.

And most importantly she seems like a real, normal, functioning person!
emma is fantastic! i love fantasy and contemporary, but after watching her she's inspired me to read more out of my comfort zone. i've read a few classics, but not as much as her! she's really, really good!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
emma is fantastic! i love fantasy and contemporary, but after watching her she's inspired me to read more out of my comfort zone. i've read a few classics, but not as much as her! she's really, really good!
she seems like a lovely person and very smart and I hope she’s able to resume her studies as soon as shefeels able to

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I watched Molly's latest video and it couldn't be more of a contrast to Ruby's recent readathon video.

Molly's readathon video:

A clear, honest title. ("My first readathon." - Video contains Molly's first readathon.)
Competent editing.
Likeable, unpretentious personality and manner of speaking.
Uses words that exist, with proper context and pronunciation.
Reads lengthy books aimed at adults.
No focus on hitting arbitrary book targets. (Molly is very clear and honest upfront that she'll read for the enjoyment of reading, switch books if she gets bored and isn't likely to finish any/all of them.)
Has interesting, articulate things to say about the books she reads.
Promotes healthy habits (reading, eating, self-care.)

Ruby's readathon video:

Title full of lies ("Reading 7 books in a day - cosy university readathon" - Ruby doesn't read 7 books and is on break from university. The cosiness is debatable.)
Incompetent editing. (Incapable of speaking a complete, unedited sentence.)
Awkward, pretentious and generally robotic delivery.
Mispronounces many words, invents many others.
Reads children's books, very short books or short stories.
Turns reading into a competition, which she has to lie and change the rules to win. (Ruby claims to read 7 complete books. These include short stories, very short books and many books she just didn't finish. She brags about her accomplishments anyway.)
Only offers bland, surface-level or completely incoherent insight into the books she reads.
Promotes unhealthy habits (reading as a box-ticking exercise, encouraging quantity over quality/enjoyment when reading, lying to achieve your goals, and encourages burning candles at 45 degree angles and possibly burning your house down.)

The only disadvantage to Molly's video is that she's adopted Ruby's 'reading while brushing teeth' habit, which is ridiculous by itself, but Molly does it after just putting on a lovely yellow dress and risking drooling toothpaste all over the book and dress.

Ruby's video, however, is an unmitigated shitshow of lies and incompetence. So, a clear win for Molly.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Emma/Emmie does an excellent job with running a successful booktube channel. I really like her content and her mature personality. She reads a lot of classics and I appreciate her in depth reviews.

Molly seems really sweet and intelligent and is so much more realistic in her approach to things than Ruby. She has a lot more awareness of herself and her surroundings and doesn't live in some childish bubble. She has gone through some rough times and is coming out of it a winner. Props to her. Also, instead of reaching for a bunch of children's books she grabs Daniel Deronda by George Eliot. Got to love a girl who goes for the challenge reads as opposed to reading A Little Princess for the thousandth time! She is realistic about the fact that it is impossible to read that entire book in a day and is completely open to it. How refreshing to have someone stare at the camera and tell the truth after Ruby's fitful bragging and lies. Molly is much better off having nothing to do with her.

I was watching one of Ruby's older Christmas hauls the other day. She is so full of herself; her fake posh accent and mispronunciation was extreme even back then. But she looked happier and healthier. Now she looks miserable and as though making videos or talking about books or pretty much anything is absolutely torture to her. You can tell she has lost what little confidence she has. When you start lying to people you sink lower and lower. She is scraping the bottom soon. Good luck climbing out, Rubes. You have a lot of ground to cover and you are still going the wrong way.

Reactions: 25
A few things: do we think that Ruby may be about to spam Oxbridge with applications (or at any rate do so next year)? Cambridge has an MPhil in "Critical Approaches to Children's Literature". I bet her snuffling out rare manuscripts or w/e is part of her application strategy. 😬

I was also struck by the fact that she recorded so much of herself eating and talking back in June (before everything with Molly unfollowing her) when she normally does not include much food content in her videos. Does she do those recording but then just not include them?

Reactions: 9
A few things: do we think that Ruby may be about to spam Oxbridge with applications (or at any rate do so next year)? Cambridge has an MPhil in "Critical Approaches to Children's Literature". I bet her snuffling out rare manuscripts or w/e is part of her application strategy. 😬
I don't doubt she will - her grades at Exeter have probably given a boost of confidence enough to think that she'll get into an Oxbridge school where she didn't before. She'll definitely go for a Masters - she'll try to prolong academia and avoid the real world as long as possible.

But I don't think she's factored in the evidently lower standards at Exeter, plus the much higher standards at Oxbridge, especially at Masters level. She has next to no shot, especially considering she hasn't grown at all since her Oxford rejection.

I also wouldn't be shocked if she tanked her dissertation aiming further than she can throw and brought her whole weighted grade down. She's planning two steps ahead with her eyes on a Masters course, without properly thinking about the dissertation obstacle one step in front of her, and it wouldn't surprise me if she fell flat on her face.

With the video recording - she absolutely banks a bunch of filmed footage to potentially use/reuse later. There's been a lot of vlogs/routines that have been presented as a single day but are stitched together from several days of footage (with continuity errors all over), so I wouldn't trust the times and dates she claims for her videos at all.

Reactions: 20
@Deeznutslol There's a thread in the Forum Business section here to request Wiki's be created! https://tattle.life/threads/how-do-you-add-someone-to-tattle-wiki.10590/

I sort of understand why Ruby was looking at different Masters programmes she's interested in. I knew at the start of my second year of a four year degree which I would apply to. It was a helpful long-term goal to focus on. But I also don't think writing a dissertation focused on the programmes is helpful. They will want to see that she has a real passion and drive for Research in the discipline, (alongside the ability to take imitative and work independently) rather than a passion and drive for a particular Masters (does that make sense?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
@Deeznutslol There's a thread in the Forum Business section here to request Wiki's be created! https://tattle.life/threads/how-do-you-add-someone-to-tattle-wiki.10590/

I sort of understand why Ruby was looking at different Masters programmes she's interested in. I knew at the start of my second year of a four year degree which I would apply to. It was a helpful long-term goal to focus on. But I also don't think writing a dissertation focused on the programmes is helpful. They will want to see that she has a real passion and drive for Research in the discipline, (alongside the ability to take imitative and work independently) rather than a passion and drive for a particular Masters (does that make sense?)
Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with having a long-term goal in mind, and using that to motivate you to do well in the present. But like you say, writing an undergrad dissertation aimed at Masters standards/criteria is completely counterproductive. Her current degree will suffer for it, and even if it doesn't tank her graduating scores, it'll have little bearing on whether she gets accepted for a Masters as they'll look at her wider ability and aptitude. They only have to look at a couple of her videos to see her research skills, work ethic and general ability to speak coherently are utter dogshit.

Reactions: 10
well if I'm not mistaken pah-prika is closer to the Hungarian pronunciation and that's where the spice originated from/was popularised at least? but Ruby DEFINITELY wouldn't be basing her pronunciation off of that lol for sure
Im from Hungary and it is simply pronounced paprika (without H) :)

Reactions: 5
However, I do kind of miss relying on external sources of motivation in order to get myself to be ~productive~...πŸ˜… I probably shouldn't ask here, but if anyone knows of any YouTubers in the same vein as Ruby/Holly/Jade etc. who act like real, functional adults, I would be very grateful if you could drop some recs!😊
I think most people nowadays use real-time 'study with me' videos or the long 'lo-fi' animations with music and inspiring visuals as a motivational background for studying.

Reactions: 5
It seems naive to base a dissertation on archival sources right now. New variant emerges and we go back into lockdown? She would have to find a whole new source base. I started my MA dissertation in January 2020 and only managed to get one archive visit in before Covid and subsequently changed the structure of my dissertation so I could use online sources (luckily for the better in the end!).

As others have said, she's planning a postgraduate dissertation in an undergraduate time span and word count. Hopefully a supervisor will point out to her that scouring the country for sources isn't necessary the best thing to do - I know people do did similar and lost a significant number of marks due to it as they had too many sources for their word count and couldn't actually analyse any of them properly. I get the feeling this is all for the dark academia aesthetic of sitting in some dusty aesthetically pleasing Oxford college library pouring over a manuscript untouched by academics - this is far from reality!

Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.