Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Unfortunately this is probably the best way of keeping track of Ruby, wikipedia would not be the place for this sort of things.

This forum works similar to the KiwiFarms ( but with obvious differences), to make a Wiki would start a similar situation to Chris-Chan and the CWCki, which is something that I would not want to wish on anyone. Its one thing to gossip, but when you start cataloging someones life it becomes bullying imo.

The only solution I can suggest is making another Forum thread which contains key information and major events.
Noooo ahaha I’m not suggesting we make an actual wikipedia page for her 😂
I meant a little wiki thing at the top of the page where you can write like a summary explaining the main questions that people often come on and ask, like her fall out with molly, the holocaust memorial thing etc. otherwise you end up with people asking the same things over and over again. It just makes it easier for people to get a quick summary rather than having to ask or read through 12 whole threads.
It looks like this:
7F1A9E39-9DAF-49E9-B82D-9842678C0641.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I don't know anything about the kind of work you're expected to produce for a Bachelor's Degree dissertation in the UK, but I have just completed my own Bachelor's dissertation (and I'm graduating next week, yay) and from my point of view, the way she's approaching it is completely wrong. It sounds like she's going to bite off more than she can chew. You're not an archaeologist looking for clues around the country or a writer researching their next novel, Ruby.
Incidentally, I've just finished my Bachelor's dissertation for my English Lit degree (not at Exeter, but another English uni). I wrote about one book and one adaptation of it and was way over the word count before editing. Her desire to be original is probably suited more for Master's/PhD work, as I think a Bachelor's diss is about how you work with critics to super briefly look at something 'new' (not that this is required for a high 2:1 or low first, as far as I know), rather than trying to find some incredible manuscript in a random library in Somerset.

Reactions: 14
I don't know anything about the kind of work you're expected to produce for a Bachelor's Degree dissertation in the UK, but I have just completed my own Bachelor's dissertation (and I'm graduating next week, yay) and from my point of view, the way she's approaching it is completely wrong. It sounds like she's going to bite off more than she can chew. You're not an archaeologist looking for clues around the country or a writer researching their next novel, Ruby.
I know that we weren't encouraged to go chasing primary research at undergrad level. If anything, they'd probably discourage it as it shows you couldn't research efficiently and effectively for the level you're studying - if Ruby's writing about something as broad and basic as Victorian children's lit or Alice in Wonderland, she has hundreds of years' worth of secondary research to support any argument she's likely to come up with. This is just more pointless, romanticised busywork. But she's clearly aiming for a Masters-level work (not factoring in that they'll be graded differently and she'd have a smaller wordcount to work with at undergrad level, so she's cutting herself off at the knees.) She's also writing specifically towards the Masters course she wants to do, which seems incredibly stupid and putting the cart before the horse.

Reactions: 21
"I'm choosing my topic based on what I think I'll enjoy." Don't do that. Choose your topic based on what you think you can write a more interesting and well-supported argument for in your dissertation. You may adore Victorian children's literature, but how much you enjoy reading it doesn't mean a thing academically if you have nothing to say about it. And now she's wasting time writing pro and con lists about what she likes about each subjects instead of brainstorming thesis arguments and ideas. The queen of productivity, everyone.

For research, she wants to look at real documents and ideally, wants to travel to see them to gather primary research (although I'm unclear what "primary research" means in her mind.) What purpose does that serve, other than being a superficial waste of time, money and effort? Almost any meaningful research required for an undergrad dissertation can be found archived online or acquired through the library. Planning a globe-trotting excursion around the UK to look at letters and books (during the third wave of a pandemic, no less) makes no sense. And I don't exactly have an abundance of faith in Ruby's ability to source and compile meaningful primary research considering her feedback on previous essays was "stop making sweeping generalisations about supporting research" and "stop cramming random tit in the footnotes."

You can tell she's really aiming for a publishable work for her dissertation and is looking at Masters-level research techniques, but considering Ruby's usual planning, standard of work and her clear 'aesthetics first' approach, that's going to backfire massively. In the immortal words of TLC: "Don't go chasing waterfalls. Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to." Remember what happened last time you tried to go off and do something ambitious? You ended up crying on the internet over a 2:2. Don't be stupid.
I had this experience when trying to decide on my undergrad final project - I had what I thought was a really interesting idea, but it was immediately shot down by my advisers due to so few papers being published about it.

I'd never really come across any undergrads who had to travel to consult original texts and archives - that's what a typical PhD or MRes student would do. I feel like she wrote that action point for the sake of it, because she just fancies having a look at these things, rather than for their academic benefit. I feel like she thinks she'll get extra marks for getting these sources cited (because those will make her look like she's gone the extra mile), but will ignore the obvious texts that are expected by an academic reader. How can she know that she'll need those sources before she's even pinpointed her project area?

At undergrad level, you aren't expected to reinvent the wheel, so Ruby might be in for a shock if she's trying desperately to be original and publishable. This could one of those times where she tries way too hard, when a 'doing what is needed to get a 1st' approach would be completely reasonable (and recommended I'd imagine), and then gets a mark that doesn't reflect the effort she put in. A dissertation can be ridiculously imaginative, but if it doesn't actually hit the main research criteria well enough, it will never get the high marks.

Reactions: 16
well if I'm not mistaken pah-prika is closer to the Hungarian pronunciation and that's where the spice originated from/was popularised at least? but Ruby DEFINITELY wouldn't be basing her pronunciation off of that lol for sure
We also pronounce it pah-prika (with the emphasis on the first syllable) in Italian
I stand corrected, my apologies (to Hungarian and Italian folks, not Ruby)! Considering she was trying to figure out how to pronounce the word as she was saying it, I think the only language she was aiming for was the one she's invented for herself.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Yeah I'm pretty sure her advisor is going to nip in the bud all of her delusions of Masters/Phd-level work she might do lol
My original idea for my thesis was broader than it ended up being, because my advisor told me it was more of a Master's level idea and was not appropriate for a Bachelor's. Then she also warned me against writing it in English (as opposed to Italian) because she also thought it was excessive and potentially damaging to the quality of the work (which ultimately didn't happen, I did write it in English and she was full of praise).
So in short, in my experience, if she tries to go above and beyond she's going to be grounded to reality pretty fast and potentially quite harshly lol

Reactions: 10
I’m CONVINCED that Ruby has very strong romantic feelings for Blakeney...the way she acts around her is just different. She just gets heart eyes

Reactions: 4
Untitledr2.jpg

"Whymsicam." Really? "Whymsicam"? This has to be her trolling by now, right? Nobody can be this stupid. You have to go out of your way to spell "whimsical" so wrong. That's absolutely how she believes it's spelt/pronounced.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
Untitledr1.jpg

And back to the tiny portions. Why include a picture of a tiny slice of toast with almost nothing spread on it in a post about how much you liked a children's book (shocker)? Even with the recent backlash, she's completely incapable of just not posting about food for even a day.

• Sick
Reactions: 27
It's pointing at "Everything I ate this week" video she was watching. Knowing recent events, she is, sadly, triggering.

From the looks of it, this was the video which isn't an ED related video it actually seems pretty healthy. Its not exactly triggering, but her watching it could potentially indicate a preoccupation with food.

(TW) If she does have an ED I feel like it might be to blame for her sparse content recently. When you first get an ED obsessing over food in a secretive way feels kind of exciting and becomes your primary interest, meaning academics/hobbies have less time. For whatever reason she's lost weight I hope she gets help soon.

Reactions: 12
View attachment 647920

And back to the tiny portions. Why include a picture of a tiny slice of toast with almost nothing spread on it in a post about how much you liked a children's book (shocker)? Even with the recent backlash, she's completely incapable of just not posting about food for even a day.
As lots of Tattlers mentioned, she exactly knows what she is doing. She is not even sorry about last situation on IG and simply doesn't give a duck about people who are worrying about her.

Reactions: 16
Thinking of words to use in your “everyday” vocabulary… Once again, it’s so PERFORMATIVE. Imagine pausing before each sentence, just so you can cram in a new impressive word? That’s what I did for my GCSE Spanish oral exam, not as a native English speaker! Yes, I may occasionally discover a new word and think “oh that’s amazing” and maybe use it.

But the way she does it… I know I’ve called her Baby Kangaroo Tribbianni before, but this is a textbook example of that scene where Joey dates Charlie and starts using “acrimonious” in every sentence!

As for the fixation on masters - I don’t think she quite gets the structure of a Masters? All the people I knew who went on to do a masters at Exeter (for English), ended up doing something completely different to their undergrad dissertation. The bigger link I’m study was between masters and PHD, when you’ve really honed in on what you’re passionate about.

Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.