Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Whaaaaat I went out and come back to thisšŸ‘€ this is another level of calling out. At this point there is no way she canā€™t address it...
View attachment 643828
View attachment 643829
View attachment 643830
View attachment 643831
View attachment 643832
That is a lot of comments...

Whaaaaat I went out and come back to thisšŸ‘€ this is another level of calling out. At this point there is no way she canā€™t address it...
View attachment 643828
View attachment 643829
View attachment 643830
View attachment 643831
View attachment 643832
That is a lot of comments...

Reactions: 1
View attachment 643989
I haven't seen anyone body shame her? Considering this is a topic of concern about an eating disorder ??????
Yikes, that comment reeks of ignorance and fatphobia. Yeah, if I followed someone 'chubby' or obese and they displayed worrying behaviour I would be concerned too. You don't need to be 'gaunt or emaciated' to have an ED either. That commenter needs to go read Beat's website.

Said this in the last thread but wanted to send a big tattle hug to anyone who is dealing with an ED.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
This may sound harsh, but I hope she DOES feel somewhat ganged up on. I hope she feels bad, I hope the comments sheā€˜s received over on Insta have caused a crisis for her. And, above all, I hope the crisis leads to her getting help, maybe taking a break (though I will miss the loltastic content) and figuring out why what sheā€™s been doing has been damaging to everyone. I hope sheā€™s able to overcome any self-pity and self-hatred she has and actually grow from this experience.
We definitely have at least a few half-assed non-apology videos and instant returns to ED baiting cycles before that happens.

"Recently it's come to my attention that there's been a lot of comments showing great concern and worry, and I just want to put your mind at ease and thank you for reaching out and showing your support...

...In response to those comments of concern, I just want to offer some reassurance. I've had so, so many reach out, and I donā€™t want you to worry at all. You have been heard: I'm pleased to announce that I will now be doing 5 daily routine videos per week! This was highly, highly requested from people in the comments who you may not have seen but definitely exist, and I'm only happy to deliver!

I also have some big life changes to annouce. I've come to the difficult decision to drop out of university, to devote more time to making university vlogs! I can't thank you enough for your support, emotionally, but mostly financially. Please buy an LG laptop or two from my affliate link."

Reactions: 25
Yikes, that comment reeks of ignorance and fatphobia. Yeah, if I followed someone 'chubby' or obese and they displayed worrying behaviour I would be concerned too. You don't need to be 'gaunt or emaciated' to have an ED either. That commenter needs to go read Beat's website.

Said this in the last thread but wanted to send a big tattle hug to anyone who is dealing with an ED.
Yeah I don't even get their point as obese/fat (I mean that as a describing word, not an insult) people have people giving their health concern advice all the time whether they ask for it or not, 90% of the time even MORE than a skinny person. They replied to someone's comment saying "if following a thin person triggers someone then unfollow the thin person" they genuinely believe the only thing people are concerned about is her weight.

Reactions: 10
As much as I understand the concern about her feeling ganged up on ā€” she is an adult. If this is what is needed for her to take a break and get help, then in the long run it will be great. I feel like a lot of the time her followers baby her under the pretence that she is a soft innocent child who canā€™t take the criticism.

She indirectly makes money from her proana content, and if there isnā€™t a problem on her side (eg if she actually doesnā€™t have an issue with food, which Iā€™m doubtful about) then she needs to realise her content is an issue.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
As much as I understand the concern about her feeling ganged up on ā€” she is an adult. If this is what is needed for her to take a break and get help, then in the long run it will be great. I feel like a lot of the time her followers baby her under the pretence that she is a soft innocent child who canā€™t take the criticism.

She indirectly makes money from her proana content, and if there isnā€™t a problem on her side (eg if she actually doesnā€™t have an issue with food, which Iā€™m doubtful about) then she needs to realise her content is an issue.
Exactly.
She has constructed this persona that her followers blindly worship like it's some god. I don't blame them, most of them are kids, I didn't know any better either at their age. It's Ruby who's exploiting their goodwill and sincerity to put out harmful content for her own monetary gain.

Reactions: 15

I mean I kind of see where it's coming from - it seems much less acceptable nowadays to show concern and comment on someone putting on weight than it is to comment on someone losing weight. Both can be dangerous and both can be a result of ed but still commenting on someone getting skinny is less frowned upon than pointing out and worrying about someone putting on weight - after all people are more inclined to be accused of "fatphobia" and lack of "body acceptance" than with skinny people. It's good that society is becoming more accepting but "the hate" is going into another direction instead at the same time.

Still Ruby's case is different so it was more of a general comment.

Reactions: 9
Jade's too preoccupied with embracing and appreciating the āœØ CASUAL MAGICāœØof morning porridge or the kaleidoscope of colours seen in a traffic light to notice something as trivial as Ruby wasting away to nothing.
Jade gets on my nerves in terms of her attitude and behaviour but I will say in her favour that she shows you can be vegan and look healthy, and her posts donā€™t centre her food a lot, so sheā€™s not a bad influence to kids on that topic.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Jade gets on my nerves in terms of her attitude and behaviour but I will say in her favour that she shows you can be vegan and look healthy, and her posts donā€™t centre her food a lot, so sheā€™s not a bad influence to kids on that topic.
True, she's a terrible role model in her own ways, but at least she's not encouraging starvation (which puts into perspective how awful Ruby is if that's the bar we're setting.)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I was just reflecting on things (as Iā€™m sure we all are, it feels like a lot has happened in the past 24 hours) and I realized why Roobeeā€™s disclaimers are even worse than they seem on the surface. Whenever she posts an inadequate meal and says something like ā€I fully recognize this isnā€™t a very substantial meal but Iā€™m just not that hungry,ā€ she probably thinks sheā€™s negating the fact that sheā€™s modeling disordered eating by posting a disclaimer. But thatā€™s not necessarily the effect it has, especially for someone who may be 1) unhappy with their appearance and/or having a complicated relationship with food or 2) looking to Ruby for a role model. Her dislclaimers also serve to draw attention to the small portions, so it becomes equally a message of ā€I recognize this is not what the average person would eat, but Iā€™m skinny and have self-control, so this is all Iā€™m going to eatā€ or ā€I only ever eat when Iā€™m sufficiently hungry!ā€ And while of course everyone is responsible for how they interpret things they see influencers post, a mature influencer would also recognize that even disclaimers arenā€™t able to force viewers to take things purely at face value - thereā€™s always going to be a degree of reader interpretation, and thatā€™s why you need to consider the wording/presentation and potentially harmful ways of reading the message. Youā€™d think a literature student would be particularly sensitive to this.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
The commenter doesn't seem to realise people are calling her out on her behaviours not just how she looks; when you put the two together it's a worrying picture. If people were shaming her just for being thin that would be different.

Reactions: 12
Iā€™ve been thinking about this too and honestly, Ruby Realname can sit in her bedroom dressed as Miss Havisham, eat tiny meals and twirl round the garden until the world ends, if she wants. It makes no difference to me at all and sheā€™s free to do whatever she wants to do. However, I do have a huge problem with ā€˜Ruby Grangerā€™ promoting EDs online, especially as she absolutely knows the demographic of her audience and how damaging her behaviour could be - or to be fair, she would have known at one point but may now be in a position where it no longer registers.

StudyTubers (and YouTube celebrities more generally) werenā€™t a thing when I was at school but if they had been, I can totally see myself as part of the audience because on the surface, the life they present would have had everything I wanted as a teenager - a nice, stable home, two parents, academic success, good schools and so on. I would have saved up and bought a planner from Ruby and a narna t-shirt from Holly. Hell, I probably would have saved and signed up to one of Jadeā€™s scams, sorry, schemes, because I would not have had the critical faculty at that age to separate the image from the reality. I would have thought that by buying their stuff, I could be like them. It is not a huge leap to see myself deciding that copying them in other ways too would be a good idea, so that I too could get good grades and have a nice, middle-class life.

There arenā€™t any StudyTubers that arenā€™t problematic - just from the ones I ā€˜knowā€™, Jadeā€˜s a raging narcissist caught up in her familyā€™s MLM lifestyle to the point where sheā€™s even decided to go to an MLM university, Rubyā€™s clearly unwell mentally and now that she is facing real life, everythingā€™s falling apart and Hollyā€™s most likely done permanent damage to her body through years of disordered eating. But they are able to present themselves as people to look up to and their audience (well, the chunk of it that isnā€™t middle-aged perverts interested in school dresses and young womenā€™s periods) laps that up. Itā€™s all part of the problem of making teenagers, influencers. When you get to the point where someone feels that they know you and trusts you enough to do what you do and buy what you recommend, you canā€™t turn that on and off like a tap. If you influence me to buy a lipstick, or a laptop, then all of your other behaviours will influence me too. This is what the StudyTubers need to realise.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Iā€™ve never posted on here before, but seeing what has happened over the last few days is pretty concerning. Ruby couldā€™ve acknowledged her mistakes and owned up to the fact that her content was triggering. Did she? Nope... instead she made it worse by deleting all evidence of what happened and continuing to post triggering content. Little does she know that this is a hole that she canā€™t get out of because sheā€™s dug deeper and deeper, and now itā€™s too late...

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
The commenter doesn't seem to realise people are calling her out on her behaviours not just how she looks; when you put the two together it's a worrying picture. If people were shaming her just for being thin that would be different.
Can't upload screenshots (wrong size or something) and can't be bothered to put energy into this but I commented back and got a reply

• Photo de profil de s189r81
      s189r81

this is completely untrue, no one had any concerns when she appeared to be a healthy weight and wasnā€™t displaying this behaviour. healthy can be slim, but when people are underweight they look and are unhealthy

• Photo de profil de s189r81
    s189r81

this is completely untrue, no one had any concerns when she appeared to be a healthy weight and wasnā€™t displaying this behaviour. healthy can be slim, but when people are underweight they look and are unhealthy
That comment's confusing but I think they're agreeing with you, saying that Ruby has always been slim but it's only when she's started losing weight and looking unwell that people have commented on her body.

Reactions: 2
Can someone quickly explain why this has suddenly come to a head now?
People have been speculating that she might have an ED for ages, so why has this blown up now?

I don't follow her on instagram anymore so I don't know what's been going on there, has anything happened recently? Is it because of Molly's post?

I think some photos of Ruby looking very thin shocked people a lot. Once a couple of people commented about it, others seemed to get the confidence to also do so and it seemed to snowball from there. I suspect many people commenting genuinely care about Ruby and also the dangerous influence her posts may have on her young followers, however I think some people are also just climbing on board for the drama of it all šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

Reactions: 13
Can someone quickly explain why this has suddenly come to a head now?
People have been speculating that she might have an ED for ages, so why has this blown up now?

I don't follow her on instagram anymore so I don't know what's been going on there, has anything happened recently? Is it because of Molly's post?
I think Molly's post was a catalyst because people began to see actual consequences to Ruby's behavior. It is pretty egregious too, like, one of her IRL friends who is also an influencer stopped following her because her content was triggering her. It's not a good look. I think it was the last piece that was needed to convince a lot of her followers of what they already suspected (that her behaviour isn't normal or acceptable and that there is something wrong with her)

Reactions: 25
for me it was the reels of her trying on dresses and of her trip to bath - even her face looks so different! i honestly feel bad for her, i know thereā€™s no excuse for her behaviour (especially if sheā€™s aware of how itā€™s affecting her younger followers, which she must be) but i also know that an ED can really distort how you perceive reality and justify certain actions in your mind. i really hope she goes offline for a while and gets some help

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.