Ruby Granger #10 house is an eyesore, dresses like torycore, 30+ routines, how many more?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh no! I left a v. important detail out of my recap! Roobee continues to use words/phrases while having a very vague conception of their meaning, such as ”in lieu of”, which she seems to think means ”in honour of”. Not to mention rhyming ”banal” with ”anal”, which will never not be funny 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Adding to what I said before, I was not criticising her very counterproductive study habits for the sake of it. While I do think it's quite damaging for younger people to look up to it, I also feel for her because if she ever chooses to go for "real life" jobs outside of social media, she will be completely lost. Imagine when she finds out that you can't possibly beautifully write down comprehensive notes (using a victorian inspired quill pen) from every single meeting you have in your day and also find time to accomplish your tasks and tackle ad hoc requests from other teams/colleagues?

I think that because what she is doing is not "wrong" (she's studying, while many people her age is getting drunk ever other day at uni), no one around her feels the need to give her some life advice.

Reactions: 11
My flatmate last year was on the same course as Ruby - same uni, same year, same modules. We'd watch her videos for a laugh as her uni experience was waaay different to ours... It sounds awful, but we would NEVER have said anything malicious to her - neither online or in person.

My flatmate would get so annoyed at her because they knew exactly what work had been set, yet Ruby was doing so much additional and unnecessary reading and work.
I think Ruby likes to appear like studying is such an endeavour, and that she's working sooo hard to achieve such great things. She's lucky that no one else on her exact course does YouTube, otherwise she would look even more busywork-obsessed than she already seems.

I'm always so interested to hear about people seeing/meeting YouTubers 'in the wild' (not including at YouTube-related events), and whether they are at all like their online personas.

Reactions: 18
I think Ruby likes to appear like studying is such an endeavour, and that she's working sooo hard to achieve such great things. She's lucky that no one else on her exact course does YouTube, otherwise she would look even more busywork-obsessed than she already seems.

I'm always so interested to hear about people seeing/meeting YouTubers 'in the wild' (not including at YouTube-related events), and whether they are at all like their online personas.
Well apparently she would sit at the front of the lecture hall and ask lots of questions so that's very 'in character'

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Well apparently she would sit at the front of the lecture hall and ask lots of questions so that's very 'in character'
Very Hermione-esque. I don't imagine she'd be popular if she makes the lectures drag on...

Reactions: 9
I'm always so interested to hear about people seeing/meeting YouTubers 'in the wild'
OT:

I'm in class with a newly rising 12h/day-study-with-me streamer. I talked to him just a couple times but had multiple occasions to see him interacting with others etc.

The active and gentle personality is strikingly the same! And he is a genuinely nice person.

What he falls behind are actually the grades. Like, you study 12 hours a day to follow your dream, but cannot keep up with a moron like me who study like 4 to 5 with no motivation whatsoever? That's real strange. And then WHY you even film some videos in which you tell us how to study and be productive??

This way I learned not to trust youtubers. Like, either you are a professional, or leave the job to who actually knows tit.

That's true also for ours truly, and any other self-centered studytuber who doesn't miss any occasion to slap you in the face with how much they are working hard.

Last edited:
I should also probably add that yes, I went to Exeter but I don't go there anymore.

I should also add that yes, I did see Ruby. I walked past her in the street but didn't speak to her or anything. It was actually on this day (I recognise the outfit):

And I am CONVINCED that, had she been holding the camera more steadily, you would have seen me at 0:35-0:38 because that's where I passed her.

The only thing I took away from this brief encounter is that she is MUCH smaller in real life. In fact she's actually really quite small.
How small? I am small too an i'm scared I am ressembling Ruby more and more. If I didn't reaach this thread, I would still think Ruby being similar to me was actually cool, not that I am immature hahah

Reactions: 2
OT:

I'm in class with a newly rising 12h/day-study-with-me streamer. I talked to him just a couple times but had multiple occasions to see him interacting with others etc.

The active and gentle personality is strikingly the same! And he is a genuinely nice person.

What he falls behind are actually the grades. Like, you study 12 hours a day to follow your dream, but cannot keep up with a moron like me who study like 4 to 5 with no motivation whatsoever? That's real strange. And then WHY you even film some videos in which you tell us how to study and be productive??

This way I learned not to trust youtubers. Like, either you are a professional, or leave the job to who actually knows tit.

That's true also for ours truly, and any other self-centered studytuber who doesn't miss any occasion to slap you in the face with how much they are working hard.
That's what I think, like, working yourself to the bone only matters if it leads you somewhere. There is literally zero merit in how many hours you study if you got nothing to show for it at the end. Nobody's going to care that you studied for 12 hours a day everyday in uni. And if you could have easily achieved the same results with less time and effort, you have wasted your time.
With studytubers and especially Ruby it feels like they only look at the quantity of hours they study without assessing the quality of their work and where it gets them.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
How small? I am small too an i'm scared I am ressembling Ruby more and more. If I didn't reaach this thread, I would still think Ruby being similar to me was actually cool, not that I am immature hahah
I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm 5'7 and she seemed considerably smaller than me.

Reactions: 1
It's ok to be small lol no worries unless you're spreading pro-ana content on social media
Ruby is plenty of things that are fine and several that are not

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Are you kidding? Book videos have some of the worst Revenue/AD shown ratio on the platform.

Roobie does not belong to that kind of paesantry
While he has faults of his own, I’ve really enjoyed Jack Edwards’ move into studytube content and the fact he can show ACTUAL opinions on book! I think the way he links more traditional literature it to popular culture can also encourage people to try the former.

Whenever Ruby does book related videos, I am never inspired to read anything she includes, because her opinions are either so brief that she may as well not mention the book at all, or written in what can only be described as “baby kangaroo Tribbiani” speak... anyone remember the “both carnal and abstract” goodreads review?

While he has faults of his own, I’ve really enjoyed Jack Edwards’ move into studytube content and the fact he can show ACTUAL opinions on book! I think the way he links more traditional literature it to popular culture can also encourage people to try the former.

Whenever Ruby does book related videos, I am never inspired to read anything she includes, because her opinions are either so brief that she may as well not mention the book at all, or written in what can only be described as “baby kangaroo Tribbiani” speak... anyone remember the “both carnal and abstract” goodreads review?
I had the video come up yesterday where she was attempting to talk about On Earth We Are [sic] Briefly Gorgeous, saying things like ”I’m not lying when I say this is one of the best books I’ve ever read” (wait Roobee, it’s a bit suspish that you feel the need to clarify that you’re not lying, does that mean you lie the rest of the time?) and ”I have no words to describe how tremendously lyrical this book is” (yet you continue to attempt it, poorly) and ”it overlaps and interweaves memories and things” (um what) 😂

Of course, we’re talking about someone who insists on calling tapers candlesticks, and candlesticks candleholders, and rather than melting a little bit of wax on the bottom of the candlestick so the taper will stay upright, would rather burn the candle at a 45 degree angle and in imminent danger of tipping over and setting her curtains on fire. All the talk about productivity and scheduling is just to hide how utterly chaotic she is in reality 😂

• Haha
I've been following her threads for a few weeks but this is my first time posting - to me, she comes across as a nice person but I honestly feel like she kind of lacks... guidance? She runs a successful study channel but her very long study hours are so counterproductive. I remember when I was younger, in school, and had this mentality that to do well in school I had to go over all my notes many times and read every single book on the topic out there. As I grew up and so did the amount of content I had to apprehend, I tested out other strategies and eventually found something that worked for me. Not saying that my uni + masters experience had been the smoothest, but it wasn't also super stressful.

People learn in different ways, but studying 8+ hours a day is not the way and I find it not only quite worrying that that's the example she portrays but also... doesn't she know better? She gives me impression that she's good at memorising stuff but not the best at connecting topics, coming up with new ideas. She must get good grades in Exeter because she spends four times the amount of time an average student spends on an essay and must follow the requirements to the dot, but I do wonder if she's able to come up with smart arguments and innovative ideas in a academic debate on the spot.
Can I ask what works for you?

Reactions: 1
I have a friend who is obsessed with Ruby and claims she's "so authentic" and really worships her and it winds me up so much. Obviously I'm not about to tell someone they can't enjoy someone's content, but it just goes to show how manipulative these youtubers can be. This girl will genuinely study like 10 hours a day to "be like Ruby" and has adopted that same air of, I'm better than you because I study more.

Reactions: 16
And now she’s supporting PETA! (Or at least showcasing a gifted top from them).

Lack of research strikes again.

• Sick
Reactions: 24
I had the video come up yesterday where she was attempting to talk about On Earth We Are [sic] Briefly Gorgeous, saying things like ”I’m not lying when I say this is one of the best books I’ve ever read” (wait Roobee, it’s a bit suspish that you feel the need to clarify that you’re not lying, does that mean you lie the rest of the time?) and ”I have no words to describe how tremendously lyrical this book is” (yet you continue to attempt it, poorly) and ”it overlaps and interweaves memories and things” (um what) 😂

Of course, we’re talking about someone who insists on calling tapers candlesticks, and candlesticks candleholders, and rather than melting a little bit of wax on the bottom of the candlestick so the taper will stay upright, would rather burn the candle at a 45 degree angle and in imminent danger of tipping over and setting her curtains on fire. All the talk about productivity and scheduling is just to hide how utterly chaotic she is in reality 😂
Found the video, her “analysis” starts around 8:12. I slightly misquoted her, but it’s not any better in the original.

Reactions: 2
I think she said in an old Q&A that she's 5'1 or 5'2, so below average height.
-
Just found this recent article online: https://thestray.org/2021/04/02/im-sorry-im-not-ruby-granger-the-problem-with-studytube/

Seems like a good summary of toxic productivity and privilege, the types of things we raise here.
Absolutely. Once you get into a perfectionist mindset it's tough to shake it off. Whatever you do you never feel like it's good enough and it stops you from achieving results because any result that's not perfect feels like a complete failure to you.
I struggle with perfectionism a lot, especially last year when I was in my second year of university. I dreaded the idea of getting a grade that was any less than perfect. Like, even a 28/30 would have been unacceptable for me. Everyone around me kept telling me that I placed too high expectations on myself.
Now that I'm in my third year and I only have a couple exams left before I graduate I'm much more relaxed about that. I don't have the energy to worry so much about perfect grades, I have too much on my plate.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.