Rosie Londoner #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m not sure anyone else is following a random producer on Twitter, but that would be the school connection, right? You are of course personally invested.
Michael Mann is the director of the movie, and as has already been mentioned on this thread, a director with a significant reputation. Hardly a "random producer"

Reactions: 3
Hi all,

I’m not a Rosie insider, but a LA insider with friends in the industry so I can provide a little insight about this tweet. First of all, a search on IMDB, shows that there are a total of 34 producers and executive producer on the film. PJ was not an executive producer as shown here. Michael Mann, John Lester, and PJ are shown as being P.G.A. which means they were actually working on set, unlike others who would just financially back the movie and never go on set. Hence, the shout out from Michael Mann so PJ is not a “main” producer but he was there. Main producers are executive producers who not just throw a lot of money into the production but will have a lot of sway as to how the movie is made. Working onset for no additional pay is nice but in the grand scheme of things, you are kind of a free stage hand.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
That’s what I suspected! So it’s not so much a job that you go to work and earn money and “do” something. You pay in and get to stand in front of crowds soaking up the glory like Mr Van Privacy here?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Hi all,

I’m not a Rosie insider, but a LA insider with friends in the industry so I can provide a little insight about this tweet. First of all, a search on IMDB, shows that there are a total of 34 producers and executive producer on the film. PJ was not an executive producer as shown here. Michael Mann, John Lester, and PJ are shown as being P.G.A. which means they were actually working on set, unlike others who would just financially back the movie and never go on set. Hence, the shout out from Michael Mann so PJ is not a “main” producer but he was there. Main producers are executive producers who not just throw a lot of money into the production but will have a lot of sway as to how the movie is made. Working onset for no additional pay is nice but in the grand scheme of things, you are kind of a free stage hand.

Lmao this is all semantics, it comes down to whether you think a "main" producer is someone who writes a cheque to get a return on their investment, or someone who helps make the movie

You're literally disagreeing with the director of the movie.

Paramount made a whole series about how The Godfather got made with Miles Teller on the main role of the producer that showed up to work every day. There's a reason why pJ was at every premiere.

"La insider" my ass, let me guess you had a connecting flight through LAx once?
---
That’s what I suspected! So it’s not so much a job that you go to work and earn money and “do” something. You pay in and get to stand in front of crowds soaking up the glory like Mr Van Privacy here?
That's the opposite of what he said.

Last edited:
There is no reason to be rude to me, sis. I am a LA native (30+ years) and have friends who have worked in a few studios and have been nominated for Oscars. Some of my friends even receive the TC cake. Sorry to burst your bubble but I didn’t attack you in my response. Just wanted to shed some knowledge.

Lmao this is all semantics, it comes down to whether you think a "main" producer is someone who writes a cheque to get a return on their investment, or someone who helps make the movie

You're literally disagreeing with the director of the movie.

Paramount made a whole series about how The Godfather got made with Miles Teller on the main role of the producer that showed up to work every day. There's a reason why pJ was at every premiere.

"La insider" my ass, let me guess you had a connecting flight through LAx once?
---

That's the opposite of what he said.
---
Being PGA is a great way to learn about movie making too. Maybe PJ wants to go into directoring or do something else in the movie making process so even though he isn't getting paid, it's great exposure with the director, cast and crew.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
There is no reason to be rude to me, sis. I am a LA native (30+ years) and have friends who have worked in a few studios and have been nominated for Oscars. Some of my friends even receive the TC cake. Sorry to burst your bubble but I didn’t attack you in my response. Just wanted to shed some knowledge.
And all you're doing is anecdotally appealing to your own authority - having friends in the movie industry doesn't make you an expert nor does it mean you were right to dismiss the statements of none other than the movies own director.

I'm sure Michael Mann knows infinitely more about who did what on the Ferrari set than you, your friends and Tom Cruises baker, lmao

Especially when the original reason for this discussion was somone blasting PJ for being one of "Thirty-three producers, 15 executive producers (not Peej), but he makes sure to be one of two producers to show up for the accolades."

So your info is nothing we don't already know - my point was the guy that worked for free and showed up on set everyday to help the movie get made deserves to be on stage more than some random financier who cut a cheque and is waiting to receive his share of the profits back.

Of course, we don't know what else went on behind the scenes but the word of Michael Mann himself is surely worth infinitely more than virtually everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
And all you're doing is anecdotally appealing to your own authority - having friends in the movie industry doesn't make you an expert nor does it mean you were right to dismiss the statements of none other than the movies own director.

I'm sure Michael Mann knows infinitely more about who did what on the Ferrari set than you, your friends and Tom Cruises baker, lmao
I didn't dismiss his statement at all. His tweet stated "… producers such as PJ van Sandwijk and John Lesher – who worked for basically no fees. It was not made by a struck studio. No studio wrote us a check. And that’s why we’re able to both be here and do so in solidarity with both unions.”

I'm dismissing your claim that he was a "main producer". My original comment supports this tweet: working on set as a producer for no pay. Michael Mann does not state that he is a "main producer" because of this. That was the assumption you made from this tweet.

Reactions: 3
I didn't dismiss his statement at all. His tweet stated "… producers such as PJ van Sandwijk and John Lesher – who worked for basically no fees. It was not made by a struck studio. No studio wrote us a check. And that’s why we’re able to both be here and do so in solidarity with both unions.”

I'm dismissing your claim that he was a "main producer". My original comment supports this tweet: working on set as a producer for no pay. Michael Mann does not state that he is a "main producer" because of this. That was the assumption you made from this tweet.

Yes you did dismiss it - you literally called him a "free stage hand". When the whole point of that tweet is that PJ volunteered to sacrifice his own salary in order to help the movie get made. They didn't have studio financing, which is probably why there's 33 other "producers" who they needed to finance the movie (and also probably why the movie is being distributed in different markets by different companies who bought the rights - like Sky in the UK

As I said this is all just semantics. Your definition of "main" producer is someone who writes a cheque. My definition is someone that actually helps the movie get made and works every day on set - like Albert Ruddy on The Godfather

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Yes you did dismiss it - you literally called him a "free stage hand". When the whole point of that tweet is that PJ volunteered to sacrifice his own salary in order to help the movie get made. They didn't have studio financing, which is probably why there's 33 other "producers" who they needed to finance the movie (and also probably why the movie is being distributed in different markets by different companies who bought the rights - like Sky in the UK

As I said this is all just semantics. Your definition of "main" producer is someone who writes a cheque. My definition is someone that actually helps the movie get made and works every day on set - like Albert Ruddy on The Godfather
That isn't my definition of a main producer, which is in my original comment. I stated that executive producers are the main producers who finanially back the film and have greater influence in how the movie will be made during the pre-production stages so once you are on set, you are working according to the original plan set by the studio, director, writers, etc so that the production is staying in budget and timelines. Working on set alongside people means you are executing the vision of people above you already. I wouldn't consider someone a "main" producer if you are doing this.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.