Retro toys !

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Me 🙋🏼‍♀️ I really wanted them. A girl in my primary class had them and I was jealous.
Does anyone remember Quints from the early 90s? I loved them and my best friend at the time had them too. When I ask around though, not many remember them. I don't think they were ever 'huge'

Reactions: 4
Omg, I had this! The actual game was a bit crap, but I kept the dolls for years, I loved the little purple cape and gold cardboard crown. They did look a bit "granny", but one of the dolls was black, which was a rarity back in the 70's.
100% would buy this again! ❤❤❤🤣🤣
I think mine is up in the loft! I always wanted to be Miss Jamaica as I had watched Cindy Brakespeare win Miss World in 1976 and as a child with long, straight, brown hair I didn't identify with the blonde or the 2 dolls who had been to the hairdresser's for a shampoo and set. Those 2 had strange hairstyles for the 70's.

Reactions: 3
If you had a Commodore you were flash
I had an Atari 2600 first, and then got a Commodore 64. What a machine!
Hours typing code from a magazine to make a ball bounce across the screen!

Mine even had a musical keyboard that you would place over the keys to learn piano!

Reactions: 4
I've still got these 2. My cousin had 2 Thumbelinas and mine has an unfortunate hairstyle due to being carried by her hair/ my attempt at a haircut.
bafa6022fbbec9c886f84e9e3c716e96.jpg

120332626_10221977071753655_1918263656038688891_n_newborn+thumbelina.jpg

Has anyone ever had to mend a Sindy? About 5 years ago, I found mine and the elastic band in her waist had dried out and she was in 2 halves. I performed First Aid by putting her in a jumpsuit...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Oh my days, do you remember the advert for A La Carte Kitchen?

"Wake up daddy! Breakfasts ready!" and it was a Swiss roll and baked beans :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Continuing on, I will raise you this bad boy:

View attachment 2341524

My cousin had one and I took it over when I went to theirs, they didn't get a look in
Mine had to go back to Santa as it was broken 🤣😝 My 7 year old has one now 🤣

Reactions: 1
My parents were keen on me and my sister sharing things (tight fisted). She had that and wouldn’t let me use it😐
My sister (6 years old) whinged so much when I played with her Play-Doh Barbers Shop, that my mum bought me my own one...for my 16th birthday 🤣🤣
(To be fair, it was the best present ever!)

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I wanted a mr frosty and a soda stream so much. Never got either !
Same here! Stick it on my Xmas list every year without fail and never got either. Same with the Play Doh Barbershop 🥺
---
I've still got these 2. My cousin had 2 Thumbelinas and mine has an unfortunate hairstyle due to being carried by her hair/ my attempt at a haircut.View attachment 2341628

View attachment 2341629

Has anyone ever had to mend a Sindy? About 5 years ago, I found mine and the elastic band in her waist had dried out and she was in 2 halves. I performed First Aid by putting her in a jumpsuit...
There's a few vids on YouTube showing how to mend Sindy dolls.
---
This is quite a good website for looking at vintage Sindy stuff....https://www.oursindymuseum.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Yeah, this was late 80's.

I'm trying to remember what the mattress was even like for the bed I had. It might not have actually had one. I remember it had a fancy bed head and possibly a matching foot panel.

The wardrobe I had was useless. It used to tip over if you hung anything in it and the doors would fall off.

My favourite Cindy outfit was a pale pink ball gown/wedding style dress. It was a gift from the 'tooth fairy' after I'd had my four front teeth taken out at the dentist. I've tried googling to see if I could find it but no luck. It would have been 1986/7.
That makes sense - I'm very early 80s Sindy. I think the first one I ever owned was the classic ballerina which was packaged in a long box because our rubber-headed heroine was doing the splits. Her white fishnet tights were a good look.

The mattress was a rubberised cover over a sponge inner. The bed I owned sounds like the same one - white with silver detailing? I think that I had the same issue with the flimsy wardrobe.

Your doll sounds lovely. I loved the more dressy outfits :)

Reactions: 2
This is what I was always jealous of on End Of Term Bring Your Toys To School Day

1690635443288.png

That and these very early handheld video games

1690635563544.png

Who remembers Game&Watch? I had about five of them (probably still have them, somewhere) including the folding dual screen Donkey Kong one, I think my Uncle who worked on oil rigs used to get them from somewhere for my Grandad to give to me. I played them for hours even though the games were so basic.

1690635765689.png

• Heart
Reactions: 12
My sister (6 years old) whinged so much when I played with her Play-Doh Barbers Shop, that my mum bought me my own one...for my 16th birthday 🤣🤣
(To be fair, it was the best present ever!)
I had one of those but it's a bit of a sad story - my late father had a pay rise and treated us three kids to toys from the beautiful Lewisham branch of Argos and I chose the barber shop. It was the last present he ever bought for us.*

*NB - he didn't get poisoned by imbibing the Play Doh.
---
This is what I was always jealous of on End Of Term Bring Your Toys To School Day

View attachment 2341852

That and these very early handheld video games

View attachment 2341855

Who remembers Game&Watch? I had about five of them (probably still have them, somewhere) including the folding dual screen Donkey Kong one, I think my Uncle who worked on oil rigs used to get them from somewhere for my Grandad to give to me. I played them for hours even though the games were so basic.

View attachment 2341859
My brother owned the yellow handheld Space Raiders game! The tune was nicked by White Town and used as the basis for his 'Your Woman' song imo.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
We had the barber shop but they were monsters I think ?? I had a Tiny Tears but I left her near the electric fire and her face melted

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I had a stencil kit with outfits, it was various sheets of pink plastic (so not a fashion wheel), and came with sheets of decorated paper. I absolutely loved it and played with it for hours, making my own patterned paper for more designs. Can still picture it clearly!

Reactions: 2

View attachment 2341852

I loved Game&Watch, but they were always the preserve of my better-off friends in the 80s. I think I bought the dual screen Mario Bros one in early 90s and 10 years ago went through a phase of collecting retro electronic games, so I have a few now.

For our end of term bring your toys to school day, I brought in Pocketeers. Loved them!

Attachments

That makes sense - I'm very early 80s Sindy. I think the first one I ever owned was the classic ballerina which was packaged in a long box because our rubber-headed heroine was doing the splits. Her white fishnet tights were a good look.

The mattress was a rubberised cover over a sponge inner. The bed I owned sounds like the same one - white with silver detailing? I think that I had the same issue with the flimsy wardrobe.

Your doll sounds lovely. I loved the more dressy outfits :)
I've found it online... it was actually a day bed not a proper bed so my memory is a bit off.

Attachments