Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SmillieKylie

VIP Member
Just heard about the passing of Benjamin Zephaniah, this one made me very sad, taken far too young. Benjamin used to pop up on kids shoes with his poetry when I was little. A fascinating man of colour, he was a bit of an inspiration to me a little Indian girl. loved hearing his words. Followed his life and words ever since those days, he’d say he’s an anarchist, and deliver it with that wonderful smile he had. How sad, only 65, just read it was due to a brain tumour diagnosed only 8 weeks ago.

Rest In Power Benjamin 💔

198898E8-B0C2-4241-89DD-438FF55C1D9F.jpeg

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I had such a crush on him back in the 1970's, I had his posters on my walls. I still have one of the albums he recorded. I am sad that he has died, thanks for the entertainment David.
So did I! I absolutely adored him. I think he was my first proper crush.

A few years ago (2013) I went to see a production of Fiddler On the Roof starring Paul Michael Glaser. During the interval I got up and saw David Soul sitting quietly on his own at the back. He was obviously noticed by some other people because the next thing you know he was surrounded by a group of middled aged/old women. He was really sweet though and spoke to everyone and signed stuff. He'd obviously just come to see his friend which warmed my cockles that they were still close after all these years. Paul Michael Glaser actually gave him a shout out at the end too.

This was in the glamorous location of High Wycombe. 🤣

• Heart

CausticYoda

I’ve actually had a proper cry. My 9yo is going to be gutted, she loves them. They just seemed to have the loveliest friendship, and my heart hurts for Si.

• Heart
  • Sad

Yel

Chatty Member
Sadly not surprising, but still pretty shocking. His book is definitely worth a read and I believe it was written actually by him and not a ghostwriter iirc.

Reactions: 19

Pinkii

VIP Member
Im very sad about matt’s death.

im such a friends fan and have watched it through all phases of my life, whether i have been happy or sad. Started watching it when i was 13 and now 36 and still watch it.

thank you for all the laughs Matthew, may you finally be in peace

• Heart
Reactions: 19

lilly92

There will absolutely never be another one like Sinèad. She kept her integrity and beliefs every step of the way. After hearing about a fundraiser for starving children on This Morning she literally called them up and said I have a mansion. Take it, auction it off and help the kids.

she also donated all of her clothes she wore throughout her career she had kept when she gained a bit of weight to trans youths in Ireland.

I’ve always been so proud of her for speaking out about the Catholic Church. She never wanted fame,she said that’s the life “they” wanted for me, the record label and managers. She just wanted to make music and do what she felt in her heart was right. And then when she performed next and everyone booed her instead of singing she cut off the music and made a speech doubling down and also calling out racism, class decision and sexism. But god, she’s had such a terrible life…her mother really screwed her up.

She was so talented though. What a voice and her mind was insane like her vocabulary and song writing were another level. I hope she’s in peace with her baby boy and that her other 3 children have support.
---

And who could forget when she called out Ryan Tubridy and RTE?! She was way ahead of everyone here yet again

• Heart
Reactions: 18

piquant

Feel quite sad about this
Feel very sad about this news
My husband bumped into him ( literally) at Euston station several years ago and had a lovely conversation with him as we’re both great fans - even got his autograph -
Husband said he was a lovely chap who was only too happy to chat
agree thought he looked very frail in latest series

• Heart
  • Sad

LishaLisha

Personally I don’t think there’s enough. She got a horrible time when she was alive and deserved better.
but she deserved that when she was alive.. not just now…. A while back she had a few despairing tweets, …. Radio silence… v few reached out and there was an air of ‘she’s a bit mad, attention seeker’ now it’s all like., she inspired me …it's a bit hard to swallow imho

Skellig

I'm on holiday in LA the atmosphere has completely changed because of matts death ! What a legend. Such a sad life.

• Sad

shellie

VIP Member
Apparently he sounded quite posh in real life
He was. I used to love Phantom Of The Opera back in the day and had a copy of the original West End version with Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford that I played all the time. It was 'lost' so I ended up buying the CD version of it. When he was cast in Corrie, I recognized the name but couldn't think from where until I was reading through the booklet a few weeks later and saw he played Firmin in the musical.

Speaking of Corrie, I remember when it was revealed he was gonna be in it and a lot of people questioned why he would 'slum it' in a soap as he was seen as a 'proper' actor. Of course, it was a different story as soon as he was on screen.

Here is...I say, here is a video of his normal voice.

• Heart
Can’t believe it 🙁
This news has truly knocked me back.💔 I think losing her son may have been the beginning of the end for her. Her last tweets were about grieving him.

I hope she’s now free from her mind being tormented.

RIP, Sinead. I’m so sorry you ended up with such a shit deal in life. Thank you for all you did for music and this world.

• Heart
Reactions: 17