Replica Designer Items

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a lot of designer bags and shoes- mainly because I’ll wear Primark everything else and figure accessories make the outfit. I’d personally never own a replica, what’s the point. Save for the real deal you’ll have such an appreciation for it rather than a throw away fake which funds all manner of criminal activity

• Heart
Reactions: 27
There’s an Instagram page called the_postman_hates_me - she used to share a lot about reps but not as much anymore but she does promote three or so sellers that have set up websites for her followers to buy reps from. Personally I do enjoy the feeling of saving up and buying something I really wanted, mainly handbags but I can see the appeal of reps for things that are trendy in the moment especially with how fast fashion is changing at the minute.

Reactions: 5
I totally agree with the other ladies. When you’ve worked hard for something and buy a bag you’ve been loving for ages, the love and accomplishment you will feel is totally unmatched to getting a fake.

I will never buy fakes, because I don’t really see the point. If I can’t afford something, I’ll get something within my budget. But saving for Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Prada feels like I’ve reached my goals, and they’re things I can pass down.

If you buy a cheap knockoff bag, you won’t care about it - whether it gets a drink spilled on it, or ruined etc. How’s it any different to a primark bag then? You might as well save for something you really love and cherish!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I get why many people think replicas or fakes are unethical. But unfortunately, near enough every single thing we consume is unethical in some way or another (especially in the fashion sector) so I’m not sure why people focus specifically on reps. I have no idea of the conditions of the factories that I’ve bought from but I also have no clue where my pyjamas, bed sheets, Nike trainers or H&M coat were made either. Near enough every single fashion brand has had a scandal about its factory conditions, working conditions, safety hazards, animal cruelty, and so on. Please see Nike scandal on child labour, Boohoo for underpaid workers as examples.

I know people will say this is not the only reason why they’re ~unethical for reasons such as copyright, illegality and ‘pretending to be something you’re not’
I agree with you on how a lot of fast fashion & high street retail manufacturers are corrupt and also have scandals. (Boohoo, PLT, Primark ..etc the list is endless) I studied a fashion business degree at university so have done lots of research into child labour, sweatshops, working conditions, treatment of workers for a range of companies from all market sectors.

There isn’t much transparency in ethics and sustainability for most brands due to manufacturing overseas, mostly from poorer countries such as Pakistan, Bangladesh, India. They have different laws and regulations in those type of counties surrounding workers rights and working conditions.

Buying fake designer items is unethical (and you could argue more unethically so than buying from high street, fast fashion and middle market brands) due to the craftsmanship that goes behind luxury goods. (Care, materials, attention to detail) You’re not paying for a label. You’re paying for the hours of craftsmanship that goes into a product, compared to something that has been mass produced in minutes in China. The fake market cheapens the image of luxury brands.

They indirectly fund terror groups, an example of this is the Paris Charlie Hebdo arttacks. The terrorists claimed allegiance to a branch of Al-qaeda who funded their weapons from the sales of fake goods in Paris. There are so many other examples online on how corrupt the fake market is.

Also there are no regulations in place for manufacturing of fake goods, which means any material could be used including toxic dyes which can be very harmful.

Once you go down the rabbit hole into this market it’s very sad and eye opening. I can safely say I will never purchase a fake bag again. (I owe most of this from studying fashion) & I will always think twice before having a browse on Boohoo and PLT.

Sorry for the long post guys 😂 But seriously if you’re bored or want some late night reading there’s hundreds of articles and documentaries on this topic.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Another thing worth a mention, is the actual purchase! Going to a luxury store and making the purchase is an experience in itself- being taken to a little room to pay whilst your bag is inspected and wrapped whilst you sip on sparking wine (gucci) or whatever else they offer, is exhilarating!

Reactions: 10
I buy dupes from Primark haha (like the dupe ugg slippers) but I don't know how I feel about buying 'replicas' because I don't know what I'm funding. It's the same story with cigarettes, I often get offered to buy dodgy smokes from my neighbours, but I worry that I could be funding human trafficking, terrorism etc. If people feel I'm being dramatic, think about those 39 migrants found dead in the back of a lorry in Essex. It came out that the criminal smugglers made their money by selling dodgy cigarettes and fakes in addition to the smuggling of human beings.

I understand that there is supply chain problems with Primark, Boohoo and whatnot. But knowingly funding criminality disturbs me.

Reactions: 10
Another thing worth a mention, is the actual purchase! Going to a luxury store and making the purchase is an experience in itself- being taken to a little room to pay whilst your bag is inspected and wrapped whilst you sip on sparking wine (gucci) or whatever else they offer, is exhilarating!
exactly!!!

vs blindly paying a stranger over the internet to ship you your bag. Not knowing if you’ve been scammed, or what’s going to turn up at your door. And then 8 weeks later, receiving a crumpled Gucci bag in a cellophane wrapper that reeks of factory and child labour. Ahhh the epitome of luxe 🤩

Reactions: 13
I have a lot of designer bags and shoes- mainly because I’ll wear Primark everything else and figure accessories make the outfit. I’d personally never own a replica, what’s the point. Save for the real deal you’ll have such an appreciation for it rather than a throw away fake which funds all manner of criminal activity
I don’t owe throw away fakes. I own 1:1 replicas which are made with the same craftsmanship as an authentic bag. I also have authentic bags and near enough every single one of my replica bags trumps the quality of the authentic. I don’t think people realise these aren’t knock offs from a market in Dubai, these are seriously skilled people making 1:1 copies.

I agree with you on how a lot of fast fashion & high street retail manufacturers are corrupt and also have scandals. (Boohoo, PLT, Primark ..etc the list is endless) I studied a fashion business degree at university so have done lots of research into child labour, sweatshops, working conditions, treatment of workers for a range of companies from all market sectors.

There isn’t much transparency in ethics and sustainability for most brands due to manufacturing overseas, mostly from poorer countries such as Pakistan, Bangladesh, India. They have different laws and regulations in those type of counties surrounding workers rights and working conditions.

Buying fake designer items is unethical (and you could argue more unethically so than buying from high street, fast fashion and middle market brands) due to the craftsmanship that goes behind luxury goods. (Care, materials, attention to detail) You’re not paying for a label. You’re paying for the hours of craftsmanship that goes into a product, compared to something that has been mass produced in minutes in China. The fake market cheapens the image of luxury brands.

They indirectly fund terror groups, an example of this is the Paris Charlie Hebdo arttacks. The terrorists claimed allegiance to a branch of Al-qaeda who funded their weapons from the sales of fake goods in Paris. There are so many other examples online on how corrupt the fake market is.

Also there are no regulations in place for manufacturing of fake goods, which means any material could be used including toxic dyes which can be very harmful.

Once you go down the rabbit hole into this market it’s very sad and eye opening. I can safely say I will never purchase a fake bag again. (I owe most of this from studying fashion) & I will always think twice before having a browse on Boohoo and PLT.

Sorry for the long post guys 😂 But seriously if you’re bored or want some late night reading there’s hundreds of articles and documentaries on this topic.
I’m not talking about market stall fake Gucci handbags. When you buy authentic, you aren’t paying for better construction or materials or labour, you’re paying for marketing and this ‘aspirational brand’. Super fakes are constructed in the same way, for example a Chanel CF and one bought from a top tier factory are 1;1.

These bags are bought directly from sellers in China who work closely with factories. Yes we don’t know the conditions of the factories or who they fund but we can say the exact same for brands like Chanel and LVMH. You could even argue that a more significant cut of the profit from the $600 paid for a super fake is more likely to be split with the sellers and labourers compared to$5000 lining an ~unethical millionaires pocket who are also exploiting people to make billions of pounds. Here’s some articles to read: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany

Another:https://www.thefashionlaw.com/the-less-than-transparent-realities-behind-made-in-italy-fashion/

Brands like Coach, Michael Kors, Anya Hindmarch, Tory Burch are also made in factories in China. Other brands near enough fully construct the bag in China then send over to Italy or France for minor details to get that ‘Made in France’ stamp. Chanel is allowed to raise its prices every year to keep it ‘exclusive’. Brands like Chanel burn excess stock to keep the brand ‘exclusive’.

I appreciate it’s a hard pill to swallow when you’ve had the idea of owning designer goods as something to feel proud of as you’ve worked hard for it. I get it, I used to buy authentic (sometimes still do) until I found out about how super fakes work.

Designer goods were made to separate the rich from the poor, they’re known as a marker of status and however most of us try to deny this isn’t what we buy designer clobber for - it literally is. As a society, we put designer clothes and accessories on a pedestal. It’s capitalism at its finest! When people say ‘if you don’t have the money don’t buy it!!!’ Its really condescending and sounds like you’re saying that people with less money than you aren’t allowed to have what you have. This also ignores the fact that many rich people also buy super fakes.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
I don’t owe throw away fakes. I own 1:1 replicas which are made with the same craftsmanship as an authentic bag. I also have authentic bags and near enough every single one of my replica bags trumps the quality of the authentic. I don’t think people realise these aren’t knock offs from a market in Dubai, these are seriously skilled people making 1:1 copies.

I’m not talking about market stall fake Gucci handbags. When you buy authentic, you aren’t paying for better construction or materials or labour, you’re paying for marketing and this ‘aspirational brand’. Super fakes are constructed in the same way, for example a Chanel CF and one bought from a top tier factory are 1;1.

These bags are bought directly from sellers in China who work closely with factories. Yes we don’t know the conditions of the factories or who they fund but we can say the exact same for brands like Chanel and LVMH. You could even argue that a more significant cut of the profit from the $600 paid for a super fake is more likely to be split with the sellers and labourers compared to$5000 lining an ~unethical millionaires pocket who are also exploiting people to make billions of pounds. Here’s some articles to read: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany

Another:https://www.thefashionlaw.com/the-less-than-transparent-realities-behind-made-in-italy-fashion/

Brands like Coach, Michael Kors, Anya Hindmarch, Tory Burch are also made in factories in China. Other brands near enough fully construct the bag in China then send over to Italy or France for minor details to get that ‘Made in France’ stamp. Chanel is allowed to raise its prices every year to keep it ‘exclusive’. Brands like Chanel burn excess stock to keep the brand ‘exclusive’.

I appreciate it’s a hard pill to swallow when you’ve had the idea of owning designer goods as something to feel proud of as you’ve worked hard for it. I get it, I used to buy authentic (sometimes still do) until I found out about how super fakes work.

Designer goods were made to separate the rich from the poor, they’re known as a marker of status and however most of us try to deny this isn’t what we buy designer clobber for - it literally is. As a society, we put designer clothes and accessories on a pedestal. It’s capitalism at its finest! When people say ‘if you don’t have the money don’t buy it!!!’ Its really condescending and sounds like you’re saying that people with less money than you aren’t allowed to have what you have. This also ignores the fact that many rich people also buy super fakes.
I guess it’s difficult as fakes/reps cover a broad market.
I can see arguments for both - why you could buy legit vs why you can buy fake.

I guess for me - after reading this thread so far and my initial thoughts of being like ‘whaaaat how have I missed so much!’ is that for me, I won’t change how I shop.
I don’t know if i could live not being entirely sure where the bag came from no matter how authentic it is.

I understand that the authentic is not as pristine in terms of how/where it’s made but I’d rather in know that than be completely unsure!

this is really eye opening though and thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. As naive as it is, I had no idea the sales of fake goods supported terrorist groups.

Reactions: 5
1:1 and Grade AAA replicas are 100% not made with the same craftsmanship and ethics as luxury brands. They may be better quality than the standard market stall cheap plastic fakes, however they are still a fake item. I’ve bought grade AAA, in person, in China. It is the black market. They may be seriously skilled, but they’re not real luxury goods 😂 😂

Reactions: 12

A fake is a fake. Please stop trying to justify it.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
What people choose to spend their money on is their own business. Everyone is different.

I think fair play that she is being honest about it. I’m sure there are many people you see on Instagram or around you that have replica items and are passing them off to you as real.

Reactions: 29
What people choose to spend their money on is their own business. Everyone is different.

I think fair play that she is being honest about it. I’m sure there are many people you see on Instagram or around you that have replica items and are passing them off to you as real.
Absolutely people can spend their money on what they like! However spending money on fake, replicas and counterfeit goods is morally wrong.
I even hold my hands up as I have bought in the past, before doing my research and studying a fashion business degree. Now I will never buy again.

Reactions: 2
It’s one thing saving up for a £700 Louis Vuitton bag and another thing saving up for a £3000 Chanel.
I earn £20k a year so there’s no way I could afford that Chanel when I’m paying my mortgage etc. I’ve wanted one since I was 15. Ain’t gonna happen. Will I get a fake? I’m not sure yet.

Reactions: 13
You could pay £2000 believing you’re buying a genuine LV, when it’s actually an extremely well made counterfeit. But it’s still a fake.

For me personally if the real thing isn’t attainable like a Hermes Birkin or even electrum, or a Chanel classic then I’ll go without I wouldn’t even buy a dupe from new look or wherever.

slight derail- but has anyone had bad experience with premium brands? I’ll NEVER purchase a mulberry bag after their studded straps on the Theresa bag stretched it become unusable, they wanted me to pay for a new strap within 12m of owning it.

Reactions: 3
You could pay £2000 believing you’re buying a genuine LV, when it’s actually an extremely well made counterfeit. But it’s still a fake.

For me personally if the real thing isn’t attainable like a Hermes Birkin or even electrum, or a Chanel classic then I’ll go without I wouldn’t even buy a dupe from new look or wherever.

slight derail- but has anyone had bad experience with premium brands? I’ll NEVER purchase a mulberry bag after their studded straps on the Theresa bag stretched it become unusable, they wanted me to pay for a new strap within 12m of owning it.
The strap of my Gucci Soho Disco snapped in the middle of Oxford St one day. They said I was ‘overloading’ the bag even though I only had my phone, keys and cardholder in it. They wouldn’t fix it for free despite only owning it for 4 months. Never again!

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I had a Christopher Kane bag that the strap snapped off constantly, took six months for them to fix it and I still don’t like using it as I’m scared it’ll happen again. Also had a McQueen bag that broke after a while. I just don’t want to pay thousands on things that just break, when you can pay about £150 for a copy that’s just as well crafted. Plus it means you can actually take it out without worrying about it!

Reactions: 6
I had some Vivienne Westwood shoes and the bow fell off. Took them back and they gave me a brand new pair. Excellent customer service. Vivienne Westwood has always been my go to designer wise, it’s more affordable for me but definitely that bit of luxury. The handbags are perfect for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 8