Real life crime and murder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Love this thread, had anyone seen the Jodi arias interrogation tapes on YouTube? She is one crazy women, there’s loads of documentaries about her on youtube, it’s unbelievable to watch how delusional she is

Reactions: 2
I quite enjoyed the Belmarsh prison documentary last night and looking forward to seeing the rest of the series. The rarely used locked room 'box room' where dangerous prisoners/prisoners at real risk of harm go looked so depressing. I'd hate to live life living with my worst enemies looking over my shoulder every moment of everyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
As we are here sans judgement...do you have a ‘favourite’ true case/killer, the one that fascinates you the most?

As we are here sans judgement...do you have a ‘favourite’ true case/killer, the one that fascinates you the most?
Ed Kemper! I think because he is so articulate, it’s almost hard to believe he was capable but he openly admits everything he has done and why.

Reactions: 4
Ed Kemper! I think because he is so articulate, it’s almost hard to believe he was capable but he openly admits everything he has done and why.
High IQ killers always seem even more dangerous as I think they know how to ‘play’ the system, like Bundy and Kemper.
With Kemper he wanted the death penalty and was happy being incarcerated so it’s definitely a case that leaves you wondering.

Reactions: 1
I started watching Don't duck With Cats. I got to the bit where they started showing the video and turned it off and then googled what it was about. 🤮 Weird, humans I can watch, animals I can't despite animal kills being a common pre-cursor to human kills. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I think the video clip showed more of the animals, than it actually did of the person being killed... I stopped at episode 2.

• Sick
Murder Trial which was on BBC2 this week (still on Iplayer) was excellent but makes you wonder how somebody can be so off radar until the worst happens.

I wouldn’t say it fascinates me as I can’t stand to know all the details as it is so horrific but one case I can never stop thinking about is the guy who killed his wife, unborn baby and 2 little girls. Chris Watts. He tried to say his wife had killed the girls then he killed her out of anger but it came out he was having an affair and that was his motive. It is so heartbreaking, he showed no remorse at all.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
I watched the Margaret Flemming documentary last night, so sad that the poor girl was lost in the system. I don’t think they will ever tell the truth. Can anyone explain why they got a life sentence but will only serve 14 years?
Also belmarsh 😮 I’d say those staff need a pay rise!

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I watched Murder Mountain last night. I was so shocked at how the police seem to literally let the outlaws on the mountain have free reign, they won't even go up there if a crime is reported. It was quite good but you could tell they had taken some artistic liberties!!

I watched the Margaret Flemming documentary last night, so sad that the poor girl was lost in the system. I don’t think they will ever tell the truth. Can anyone explain why they got a life sentence but will only serve 14 years?
Also belmarsh 😮 I’d say those staff need a pay rise!
I wonder when Eddie dies if Avril will then tell the truth of what happened. He doesn’t look very healthy so might be soon!

No idea why they may only serve 14 years

Reactions: 3
It's a Scottish case and I'm not as familiar with their guidelines but I think they are generally the same.

The starting point for a "bog standard" murder - horrible way to put it but I can't think of a better way - is 15 years. So, for example, someone beaten to death common in domestic violence cases. It's only when factors like weapons, torture, sadism, a sexual motive, murder of more than one person etc etc that the starting points increase. In this case, they don't know how she was murdered so they'd have to go with 15 years.

However, Margaret would be considered 'vulnerable' - she had a lifelong disability which usually would increase the term. The prosecution were clear this was a murder carried out for financial gain, and Jones was convicted of the benefit fraud. This would ususllly mean the starting point would be 30 years if the judge ruled it was a murder for gain. I can only assume he didn't.

I need to see if the sentencing remarks are available and shed any light on it. I'll be back!

In the meantime, here are the CPS sentencing guidelines for murder:

Oh, and not revealing where Margaret's body is would also usually be classed as a significant aggravating factor and increase the term.

They are not as detailed as the ones I usually read but the sentence was 15 years each but he knocked a year off for time spent in custody already.

But he also said "it seems obvious that the motive for the murder and the ensuing cover up was financial" so he did seem to determine it was for gain. He also says Margaret was vulnerable and they breached her trust (usually another aggravating factor)

"I have considered all that has been said on your behalf and what is contained in the documents which have been prepared. I have also considered your personal circumstances, not least your age and state of health, the evidence in the case and the circumstances of the other offences of which you have been convicted"

I can't really see how anything that was said in mitigation could reduce the term by 15 years (from a 30 year starting point)

So, I can't explain it. I've looked at Scottish sentencing guidelines for murder but they are very vague.

It seems they got off very lightly!

Last edited:
Thank you @Be More Pacific

I agree they got off very lightly. I thought maybe because there wasn’t an actual body that might of been why? I don’t know if that makes a difference?

Reactions: 2
Thank you @Be More Pacific

I agree they got off very lightly. I thought maybe because there wasn’t an actual body that might of been why? I don’t know if that makes a difference?
No, it usually increases the term if anything as it's considered an aggravating factor.

Bundy is my fave serial killer. His story has it all really - looks, charm, intelligence, utter stupidity, multiple escapes, necrophilia, proposing (meaning legally bound marriage) during his trial, child conceived after imprisonment. Still my favourite ever TV show on Bundy is "The Deliberate Stranger" starring Mark Harmon.

Last edited:
I didn’t watch this but doesn’t that mean a minimum of 14 years then they can apply for parole?

I didn’t watch this but doesn’t that mean a minimum of 14 years then they can apply for parole?
I believe so.
I don’t think the male will make it that long though, he seems to be in poor health and is older than Avril.

I wonder when Eddie dies if Avril will then tell the truth of what happened. He doesn’t look very healthy so might be soon!

No idea why they may only serve 14 years
I've just watched it, fascinating viewing but so sad. Totally the right verdict. Will they ever confess what happened to poor Margaret ? I thought Avril might tell the truth as, but Eddie was so cocky and arrogant, he must have turned the jury against him by his outburst. And frauding dwp to get her benefit, how was she not called in for a medical for all those years? The poor soul was let down and abused by everyone apart from her teachers.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.